Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-27-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
txz28

Default Funnel Storage

I have been lurking on this forum for a long time and have really appreciated the discussions here. I finally have a question worthy of asking.

How do you organize/store funnels in your garage? I have about 5 different funnels running around for different things and different sizes. I am looking for good storage option that keeps them easy to access, clean and dust free, and does not take up a ton of space. Right now I have them sitting in a 5 gallon bucket and have been struggling with a good storage option.
txz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:20 AM   #2
ddawg16

Default Re: Funnel Storage

Quote:
Right now I have them sitting in a 5 gallon bucket and have been struggling with a good storage option.
And you think there is a better way? What it sounds like to me is that you now need a storage solution for the bucket.
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-28-2008, 05:09 AM   #3
BoostAddiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by txz28 View Post
I have been lurking on this forum for a long time and have really appreciated the discussions here. I finally have a question worthy of asking.

How do you organize/store funnels in your garage? I have about 5 different funnels running around for different things and different sizes. I am looking for good storage option that keeps them easy to access, clean and dust free, and does not take up a ton of space. Right now I have them sitting in a 5 gallon bucket and have been struggling with a good storage option.

I store my main funnel like this:

Old 07-28-2008, 07:11 AM   #4
Defender Chassis

I have a Funnel Buddy. It solves the drainage problem and I also slip one or two smaller funnels inside the long one to keep them clean. They are sold at summit racing and other places as well.
Defender Chassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:48 PM   #5
txz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
And you think there is a better way? What it sounds like to me is that you now need a storage solution for the bucket.
So far this is my leading solution. It allows me to keep the couple of different funnels (short vs long like funnel buddy). I do like the concept of funnel buddy though. Thanks
Old 07-28-2008, 09:24 PM   #6
jimvannoy

I stick mine in empty oil and antifreeze containers
jimvannoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:23 AM   #7
Defender Chassis

Defender Chassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:15 PM   #8
Coach James

I wipe mine out with a rag and stack them on a paper towel on a shelf.

Coach
Coach James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:27 PM   #9
dxdexter

Funny I never even thought of funnel storage before. I just throw them inside my drain pan or on the shelf. I can never find them half the time and they nearly always require a cleaning before use.

Putting them in a bucket sounds like a good idea.
dxdexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:45 PM   #10
goodfellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender Chassis View Post
That's a neat invention, but that thing is way to practical for my shop. In fact I might even get ridiculed by my friends if they saw me install one.

I have a nice 5 gal metal bucket full of all my funnels -- it looks a lot like an umbrella stand.
goodfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:06 PM   #11
Coach James

I have just one store bought funnel. The rest are the top halfs of 20 oz and 2L drink bottles. They don't cost anything and I have a steady supply of new ones. Plus the 2L bottle mouths fit snug in the oil fill opening on all my engines.

Coach
Coach James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:20 PM   #12
dcjredline

DAMMMMMIT! I have an awesome solution but it is at home on my computer. I will get the picture for you soon. The only problem it doesnt solve in present form is the collecting dust.

Basically I took a piece of vinyl 1x4 and drilled holes in it for the funnels, mounted it to the wall over a kitty litter pan with litter in it. Sometimes that pan also comes in handy for a catch tray like brake bleeding etc. I LOVE IT, simple to build and you can drill the holes as big as you want to make the funnels all level or what ever you want.
dcjredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:59 PM   #13
txz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
DAMMMMMIT! I have an awesome solution but it is at home on my computer. I will get the picture for you soon. The only problem it doesnt solve in present form is the collecting dust.

Basically I took a piece of vinyl 1x4 and drilled holes in it for the funnels, mounted it to the wall over a kitty litter pan with litter in it. Sometimes that pan also comes in handy for a catch tray like brake bleeding etc. I LOVE IT, simple to build and you can drill the holes as big as you want to make the funnels all level or what ever you want.
That gives me an idea. What if I took a large plastic container, like 1' x 2' (size to be finalized) with a lid and cut holes in the bottom for the funnels to hang through. Then below that i could make a tray or use another container (without the lid) to catch drips. This would minimize dust and allow for easy organization. I will have to look for possible containers next time I am out at Target/walmart/dollar stores.

Hmmm.... I will have to think on this one.

I do not have to have a solution immediately, but this mess is starting to bother me.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:27 PM   #14
e-tek

Quote:
That gives me an idea. What if I took a large plastic container, like 1' x 2' (size to be finalized) with a lid and cut holes in the bottom for the funnels to hang through. Then below that i could make a tray or use another container (without the lid) to catch drips. This would minimize dust and allow for easy organization. I will have to look for possible containers next time I am out at Target/walmart/dollar stores.

Hmmm.... I will have to think on this one.

I do not have to have a solution immediately, but this mess is starting to bother me.
Sounds like a winner! I used a tupperware-type of storage box, a little bigger than a shoebox. To keep the dust off I just use a piece of carboard over top of all the funnels.
e-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:58 AM   #15
txz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-tek View Post
Sounds like a winner! I used a tupperware-type of storage box, a little bigger than a shoebox. To keep the dust off I just use a piece of carboard over top of all the funnels.
I was thinking just use the lid from the container instead of the cardboard. The big lots usually has some cheap plastic containers that would probably be good for this. I need to stop by to see what they have.

When I get my container built, I will upload pictures.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:08 PM   #16
uhcrandy

I dont have pictures but here is what I did. I took a white 5gal bucket and glued various sizes of black PVC pipe together to fill the bucket, I have a couple of 3 in in the center, with 2 in around the outside. The pipes are open on the bottom so funnels drip on to newspaper that I can change by lifting the glued pipes out. I put several funnels in the pipes and also a couple of grease guns. I hope this makes sense. Thanks Randy
uhcrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:59 PM   #17
rwhite692

Did anyone else notice the "keep-out zone" for the bottle?...Wow is all I can say....

rwhite692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:22 PM   #18
Crusty Nut

Dirty funnels annoy me and I got a deal on a case of like 1500 of those wax paper funnels from a gas station for about $10. Now I'm set for life and always have a clean funnel.
Crusty Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:18 PM   #19
Jaguar Fan

Location: Park City for Ski Season; Las Vegas for Poker Season

Quote:

Just stick 'em back in the wife's kitchen drawer.

"A woman drove me to drink & I never had the decency to thank her." -- W.C. Fields
Jaguar Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:05 PM   #20
jhn9840

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach James View Post
I wipe mine out with a rag and stack them on a paper towel on a shelf.

Coach
I've kept mine the same way. The funnel buddy looks like a good reason to buy a new tool. Anyone know a price?

jhn9840
John
jhn9840 is offline   Reply With Quote