Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
Brownsfan

Default Lowes replacements for knipex and channellock. Southwire tools

I have a buddy that is GM at lowes and they are replacing ALL the electrical tools with a company called Southwire electricians tools. I have never heard of them. So go buy up all the Knipex and channellock you can for the prices they are at. Or just buy Klein and channellock form home depot
Brownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
Jawn

Default Re: Lowes replacements for knipex and channellock. Southwire tools

Southwire makes wire... I had no idea they were getting into the tool market.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
cburnscrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawn View Post
I saw one Southwire screwdriver on the shelf(made in China). If they're switching to something with no brand recognition I don't see that ending well. The people who really know the name Southwire will buy Klein, Knipex, Ideal and even Greenlee. Those that don't will buy Kobalt. Interesting marketing choice,

http://southwiretools.com/

"...The richest 1% of Americans own more than 35% of the country’s wealth, while the bottom 50% control just 2.5%.". I guess it's better to be rich than poor...who knew?

Who decides what's reasonable?

"Truth is, I make car parts for the American working man because I'm a hell of a salesman and he doesn't know any better" Ray Zalinski - Tommy Boy
cburnscrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
Jawn

Look what I found.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
TJay

Quote:
I had the same thought so I had to search for it, looks like we have less than a month before they release.

TJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
Brownsfan

This is all confirmed. I saw the internal lowes email. Buy the good stuff while you can
Old 06-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
upgrading

Have GJ members crashed the Southwire site ?
I can't get the page to load.
upgrading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
jeffmoss26

I am sure it's junk...
Lowe's barely even sells any wire. HD has 2 to 3 times the selection of bulk wire.
As much as I do not like HD, at least they still sell Klein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkling View Post
I really hope this guy drinks heavily then gets on this forum, otherwise, wow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3baygarage View Post
Where is the LOCKJEFF MOSSTER of Cleveland?

Paging Jeff Moss.
jeffmoss26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
John316

One thing is almost certain:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX3ll_cCkqg
John316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
Brownsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmoss26 View Post
I am sure it's junk...
Lowe's barely even sells any wire. HD has 2 to 3 times the selection of bulk wire.
Yep. And they still have channellock. I know they get a bad rap here but I still like Klein. The 1005 crimper is still my favorite.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
allinon72

If they couldn't sell recognized brand names, I don't know how they expect to sell a brand new product line with no brand recognition and probably no quality behind it.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
Brownsfan

Price? It's probably going to be dirt cheap.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #13
cburnscrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownsfan View Post
Price? It's probably going to be dirt cheap.
Actually, they already had a Southwire 6 in 1 screwdriver in my Lowes, and while I can't remember the price, I remember it was NOT cheap. I was however made in China, so the profit margin should be pretty good.

"...The richest 1% of Americans own more than 35% of the country’s wealth, while the bottom 50% control just 2.5%.". I guess it's better to be rich than poor...who knew?

"Truth is, I make car parts for the American working man because I'm a hell of a salesman and he doesn't know any better" Ray Zalinski - Tommy Boy
Old 06-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #14
jmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
If they couldn't sell recognized brand names, I don't know how they expect to sell a brand new product line with no brand recognition and probably no quality behind it.
This sucks, but it'll probably sell just fine because it'll be cheap. Seems like the vast majority of those who do their tool shopping at a place like Lowe's will buy whatever's available as long as it's cheap enough.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #15
absolutelybillsmood

Around here Ace still sells Klein and Channellock
absolutelybillsmood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #16
allinon72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm View Post
This sucks, but it'll probably sell just fine because it'll be cheap. Seems like the vast majority of those who do their tool shopping at a place like Lowe's will buy whatever's available as long as it's cheap enough.
If they keep the tools in the electrical aisle, the average shopper won't even know they are there. It has me wondering if Lowes even has a market for electrical tools in the first place.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #17
CWP1616L
Banned

If you read the electricians forums, those guys don't buy junk. They're not even happy with the new watered down generation of Home Depot Klein. They're buying Knipex pliers and Wera screwdrivers from whatever source they can find. Either wholesale supply houses or the internet.
CWP1616L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #18
Gotmayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWP1616L View Post
If you read the electricians forums, those guys don't buy junk. They're not even happy with the new generation of Home Depot Klein. They're buying Knipex pliers and Wera screwdrivers from whatever source they can find. Either wholesale supply houses or the internet.
But even those guys probably aren't the intended market of HD and Lowes. They've always been geared towards the weekend DIY'er. I'm sure that the electrician forums are filled with professionals who are just as picky as must of us when it comes to their tools. The sad fact of the matter is that they/we are a small portion of the market.

I'm not arguing with you, if it seems that way. I just wanted to point out that the professional market doesn't really matter to international mass retailers. Hopefully HD doesn't follow suit because I have one very local to me that I like to walk around in sometimes. They had a pretty decent Channellock collection last I saw.
Gotmayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #19
allinon72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmayhem View Post
But even those guys probably aren't the intended market of HD and Lowes. They've always been geared towards the weekend DIY'er. I'm sure that the electrician forums are filled with professionals who are just as picky as must of us when it comes to their tools. The sad fact of the matter is that they/we are a small portion of the market.

I'm not arguing with you, if it seems that way. I just wanted to point out that the professional market doesn't really matter to international mass retailers. Hopefully HD doesn't follow suit because I have one very local to me that I like to walk around in sometimes. They had a pretty decent Channellock collection last I saw.
The average DIYer doesn't need special electrical tools. They won't even understand the difference. So basically they were unsuccessful at selling quality tools to professionals who demand quality, and their target market is the average homeowner who doesn't even need specialty electrical tools, so who exactly are they targeting?
Old 06-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #20
jakemac

Quote:
The average DIYer doesn't need special electrical tools. They won't even understand the difference. So basically they were unsuccessful at selling quality tools to professionals who demand quality, and their target market is the average homeowner who doesn't even need specialty electrical tools, so who exactly are they targeting?
They're targeting the DIYer who thinks they need specialty tools and doesn't know any better, and the contractor in the middle of a job who can't find the tool he needs to finish, and will grab whatever he can quickly find to get the job done.

No job is complete until you've been to the hardware store 3 times and bleed on it ................ twice.

Don't tell my family, but that "to do" that I told them was on the "list" ...........
.......... THERE IS NO LIST !!!!!!
jakemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #21
RCStocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemac View Post
They're targeting the DIYer who thinks they need specialty tools and doesn't know any better, and the contractor in the middle of a job who can't find the tool he needs to finish, and will grab whatever he can quickly find to get the job done.
I think you are half right. The other is bottom line profits but if you keep messing with things you will end up like Sears, K-,mart, Pennies and a host of other stores that have gone under or are close. They are all loosing money because they carry cheaper quality, play games with huge sales and the stores with cloths that are going out have pure crap and bad styles. Penny's has upped their cloths line and lowered their prices.

As a contractor I only go in HD or Lowe's for things I need quick. I never buy lumber, tools, plumbing or electrical there. Even the small whole sale house plumbing houses will sell to anyone and they sell good products for 40% less or more than the big box stores. I buy whole sale and when I buy pipe and wire it is by the case. I save so much money. HD is the pits. If it is an open box you know it is broken or missing parts 100% of the time. It never fails. I buy fencing at a whole sale level. The only bad thing here in So California all the old lumber yard have gone out of business. There is one in my area and that cover a 40 mile area. They have carry every hard wood you would ever need. The sell nail guns, hammers, and a few construction tools but it is a very limited line of hardware and tools. The lumber is so much better quality.

The home centers are trying to be all things to all people. I don't want to buy cabinets and appliances at a lumber yard. I don't want to by plants there. I want to go to a nursery that really has a selection and good plants.

Speaking of Lowe's , I had 2 sets of their Kobalt 1/4" diver sockets. I paid $5 each for them new at the swap meet. I wanted to fill in the missing sizes.
I picked the up to get them home and the centers were full of steel. You could not slip them on the Hansen racks. They were very bad and off center. I got them replaced but You could not get me to buy their brand again for any reason. I was giving them as a gift. The person will not know the difference because he works on computers with small tools. Pox on Kobalt.
RCStocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #22
jeffmoss26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownsfan View Post
Yep. And they still have channellock. I know they get a bad rap here but I still like Klein. The 1005 crimper is still my favorite.
My go-to tools for wiring work are all Klein. I do have a Channellock 909 crimper and a pair of 426 pliers in the bag plus a pair of Snap-on 87CF but all the screwdrivers, nutdrivers, pliers, and wire strippers are Klein.

Quote:
Quote:

Paging Jeff Moss.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #23
jeffmoss26

No deals at my store (same prices as last week) but I did pick up a Fluke adapter for my telephone test set and a Greenlee glow rod set.

Quote:
Quote:

Paging Jeff Moss.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #24
Holt

I got the gb glow rod set as well and the greenlee hacksaw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haveblue View Post
The greatest mysteries of mankind are being discussed here, toilets,time travel, UFOs..and most importantly BACON!!!:D
Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #25
byoungblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburnscrx View Post
Actually, they already had a Southwire 6 in 1 screwdriver in my Lowes, and while I can't remember the price, I remember it was NOT cheap. I was however made in China, so the profit margin should be pretty good.
They'll probably pull the usual price high for what it is, but then have everything on a rotating sale schedule.

People are attracted to "sales" more so than what would otherwise be considered to be a fair price. Proof in the pudding is the old department store trick (not sure if they do it anymore) of quietly raising prices a few dollars on items on the days leading up to a 20-30% off sale, so in truth you were really only getting 10-15% off of what it sold for a week before the sale. But because it said "sale" people would come into the stores in droves.
byoungblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #26
BJ42LX

Quote:
No deals at my store (same prices as last week) but I did pick up a Fluke adapter for my telephone test set and a Greenlee glow rod set.
It's probably a phased roll-out to different groups/regions. Lowe's have over 1700 stores. Existing inventory will be routed to dispose of it while back-filling with the new stuff.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #27
Higgins

When we need electrical stuff, we have been going to Menard's for the past several years, as both Lowes, and HD have been cutting back on the type of electrical stuff they carry, and qty. stocked. Haven't run into that problem with Menard's

AL
Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #28
jeffmoss26

Holt, I already like the glow rid set without even opening it! Perfect size to throw in the car for small jobs.

Quote:
Quote:

Paging Jeff Moss.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #29
fluffyjimi

Lowes here has all the southwire junk marked at klein and klein journeyman prices (depending on the style of the handle). It's all light weight and feels very cheap. They've removed most of the Greenlee tools too except for scratch awls and a couple of screwdrivers. ALL the meters have been swapped including Greenlee and Ideal. It all looks like the usual fieldpiece made stuff. If I can't make it to HD (50 miles away) I'll be going to sears for Craftsman or to a supply house.
fluffyjimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #30
allinon72

Saw the whole display of them at a Lowes a few weeks ago. Not sure how Lowes thinks selling an unknown, unproven Chinese brand at near Knipex prices is a good strategy.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #31
pop pop

Quote:

Look what I found.
Yep, That's the right trademark. Used to work there for a short while.
pop pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #32
cburnscrx

Quote:
Saw the whole display of them at a Lowes a few weeks ago. Not sure how Lowes thinks selling an unknown, unproven Chinese brand at near Knipex prices is a good strategy.
Yep, they're out. The Castleton store in Indy has a full section. I'll try to snap a picture or two the next time I am in the store.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #33
CWP1616L
Banned

Quote:
Wait a minute......you said near Knipex prices?

What would be the point in that?
Old 07-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #34
Loscaldazar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgins View Post
When we need electrical stuff, we have been going to Menard's for the past several years, as both Lowes, and HD have been cutting back on the type of electrical stuff they carry, and qty. stocked. Haven't run into that problem with Menard's

AL
I like Menards more and more every day. Actually attempts to stand behind USA made tools, products, etc. Great selection too!
Loscaldazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #35
Jim C.

The local Lowes near me has been selling some (not all) of their Channellocks at reduced prices. I picked up a couple pairs for good prices. The selection is fairly limited.

Jim C.
Jim C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:39 PM   #36
zoomieport
Alliance Member

Quote:
I am sure it's junk...
Huh, this conversation sounds familiar, this may have been in the plans for a while, sounds like someone knew what they were talking about the other day...
zoomieport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #37
Conductor562

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm View Post
Outside of the ever fewer number of people like us who hang out on GJ, GG, and other tool forums, quality takes a back seat to dirt ass cheap pricing every time. I don't suppose any of us who have been paying attention are surprised. I fully expected a new line of Chinese made Kobalt electrical tools with components bearing the tensil strength of cheddar cheese. Guess i was half right. In a low population area such as mine, brick & mortar retailers and quality are never in the same location. You can still get Klein @ HD, but even they are slowly headed for the shitter. Online shopping doesn't bother me. I buy Proto, Blackhawk, Channellock, and SK, and with the very rare exception, I know what I'm getting. If I do get a turd, these companies will stand behind their product and make it right. When I need a cheap solution I've grown fond of Tekton. Yes they are import tools, but they participate in the forums, their customer service is fantastic, and the have an absolute no hassle lifetime warranty. Lowe's can keep their junk, I'm doing just fine without them.

Looking for Plomb War Finish combos larger than 11/16"

TOOLS IN ACTION Blog
Conductor562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #38
CWP1616L
Banned

I don't mind Lowes dropping Knipex ... that way Knipex won't be pressured to lower their quality like Klein did for Home Depot.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #39
allinon72

Quote:

Exactly my point.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #40
Hootbro

Was in my local Lowes this morning and while they are still clearing out the Channellock, Knipex and Ideal multimeter, I notice that they moved in and fill the multimeter pegboards with the new Southwire stuff. Just about every one of the Southwire Multimeters is rebranded Extech stuff FWIW.
Hootbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #41
Haukur

Quote:
I don't mind Lowes dropping Knipex ... that way Knipex won't be pressured to lower their quality like Klein did for Home Depot.
They wouldn't, Lowes was just a drop in the ocean for Knipex.

Knipex is family owned, still in the same family that founded it, unlike some companies that are just a money cow that gets milked till it bleeds, by a group of people who only care about money.

I've never seen an econo-line or pro-line from Knipex, just good quality, evolution and innovation in one product level. They sell all over the world, I think they make a lot more money in Europe than in N-America.

Who knows what might happen if groups of investors were juggling the company.
Haukur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #42
BDT/NWMN

Knipex, ProTo, SK, Channellock, Some quality brands that belong in a quality tool store such as ACME Tools...... The "dime store" or bargain rack homeowner tool selections appearing in the big box and competitive stores; HF, Sears, Lowes, HD to name a few....are Cheeeaaappppperrrrr and people buying this cheaper crap can now brag about their bargain shopping... The rest of us must be dumb, stupid or foolish for blowing our money on the Good stuff
BDT/NWMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #43
Skin

Quote:

You can be sure their margin on the new stuff is much better. Expect to see them marking the stuff 50% off and not even breaking a sweat.
Skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #44
BDT/NWMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skin View Post
You can be sure their margin on the new stuff is much better. Expect to see them marking the stuff 50% off and not even breaking a sweat.
Exactly
BDT/NWMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #45
Brownsfan

Just saw a full assortment of the hand tools and meters. The hand tools look like they directly copied Klein. They had regular grips and cushion ones that were IDENTICAL to Klein journeyman. The meters look like craftsman but doo doo brown. Oh and they were all priced at Klein levels. If I want the real thing I can go to Home Depot and buy the real thing. All made in china. They didn't look that bad actually looked ok but I will pass.