Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
bob_s2

Default michelin tire dry rot

Just getting into the truck yesterday, and happened to glance at my tires. Dry rot all over the sidewalls on all four of them. These tires are not that old, probably 5-6 years old. They are expensive tires with a really good tread life warranty - Michelin LTX p255/70/R16. The tread life warranty is something in the area of 60k - 80k. I probably have 30k on them. These tires have tons of treadlife left - very little wear. But they look like 20 year old tires from all the cracks in them.

has anybody else noticed this, and is there a website to find out about any recalls or anything? I searched and found a lot of sites, but none that seemed to have a comprehensive list of tire recalls.

Anyone else run into this with Michelin?
--Bob
Garage Journal Sponsor
bob_s2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
Jsf721

Default Re: michelin tire dry rot

I had this happen on my wife's MDX. She had Michelin MXV. Expensive tires 4 years old 28k and I got no help from dealer and calls to Michelin were pushed back to selling authorized store. It was Mavis tire and they did nothing.
Jsf721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
Jagmandave

Look for the date code on the tire, that will tell you when it was made.....they may have sat in a warehouse for years before you bought them and could be pretty old.

Tire industry standards these days call for tires to be replaced after 7 years regardless of tread depth, for just this reason.

You need new tires......now. You might run them by the Michy dealer and see if they'll prorate them on a new set based on the tread depth left, but you do need to replace them.

And check those date codes before you buy!

Here's what to look for...

In this example, the date code is "5107", which is the 51st week of '07.....

I have a set of Michy's on my old Jag that had to have been made in the mid 80's, the rubber is still pliable, there are no weather cracks, and they look like new - I only drive it around town tho, and it lives in the garage out of the sunlight (sunlight and ozone in the air are what cause the rubber to dry out and crack) but there's no way I'd drive it on the highway without getting new tires - even for a short hop.
'80 Mini Clubman Estate

Last edited by Jagmandave; 06-23-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Jagmandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
rsanter

What's the warranty on them
Take them back and see what they will do

Bob
Old 06-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
bmxr4life87

We use michelin light truck tires on our very very large fleet and we have found the michelins do just look like hell after just a few years. Very big problem from the michelins. They did redesign the tread and sidewall but they are all too new to know how they will hold up
bmxr4life87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
Ray Kelly
Banned

Tires (or any rubber) will dry rot if the sun gets to them. That is the worst thing for a tire that sits a lot. That's why people cover them. Especially on campers and mobile homes.
Ray Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
djjsr

I have the same situation on my daughter's car with Goodrich tires. It seemed like I just had them installed not long ago. The date code says 2007. Guess I was wrong. Prorated warranty is 4 years.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
kaffine

I had a set of Michelin XPS tires and one dry rotted fairly bad but the other 5 didn't look too bad. I figured that 1 got more sun than the others. They were 8 years old so I figured better replace all of them. I replaced them I went with Kumho tires instead. I liked the Michelins but I don't put enough miles on the truck to justify the cost of them anymore. I also got covers to put on them see if they get put back on after the first time I use the truck.
kaffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
Higgins

Same problem with my 1 ton truck! Truck empty is 6,300, loaded is 9,600 so I really watch the tires. Last fall they were OK! Looked great! Inspection station even comented on them, had lots of tread left, and looked good!

Fast forward to spring, looked like hell. MFG just referred to dealer, all dealer would do was to pro-rate tires. NO GOOD, as I got new tires from Tire Rack, with shipping, installation was cheeper than Michlens........... And had 2013 date codes!

AL
Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
Fedwrench
Alliance Member

Are we talking light surface cracking/weathering or are we talking deep cracks where you can see belts?

I doubt if warranty will do anything since the tires are 6 years old. We spend a lot of money on Michelin LTXs on the work fleet. Great lasting and hard working tires for the money as long an operator doesn't cut the sidewall.

Very few people in the US pay attention to a tire's date code. I believe in Canada they can't sell tires over 6 years old.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #11
rockchucker

The Sun is the killer for Tires. I have too many rigs and a lot of the tires get to looking really bad before they are even close to being dead.

Definitely check the Date Codes before buying. Even on new sets from the Tire Store. It is better to ask them what the date code is before even mounting them.

If you use Protectant on them it definitely helps with the aging on the Sidewalls.

Sig by FairladyZ90

"It took you longer to explain why you were doing it wrong than it would have to do it right in the first place." -Some Old Dude

"All it takes is Time and Pressure..." -Some Old Dude
rockchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #12
Bigredball90

My factory tires on my 2010 escape had 50k on them about 15-20k to go but were dry rotting way to fast to be used any more so I replaced them last month. 2 years is a really short time I think but the car does not stay in the garage and I live in florida. Be sure not to use certain tire conditioners they can dry rot the tires faster.
Bigredball90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #13
Jeff May

Same thing here, had a set of Michelin's on my truck. Had over 2/3rds of the tread left, started cracking and dry rotting. I drove them locally until chunks started coming out of the sidewalls. Figured it was time for new ones. Put Generals on, so far so good.
Jeff May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #14
djjsr

Look at the inside of the tire. It's not exposed to sunlight.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #15
theoldwizard1

If the date codes shows they are less than 10 years old and they are not loosing air, I wouldn't worry about it unless chunks of rubber are falling out.
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #16
SlappyWhite

I have hydraedges and the same thing, lots of tread, first signs of dry rot. Summers only and stored inside, temp controlled out of the sun in winter. Tires are about 5 years old.
SlappyWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #17
c39er

I bought new Cooper tires for my vintage truck 5 years ago. Less than a 1000 miles on them and they have deep sidewall cracking!. The truck is always parked in a garage. The sidewalls have deep cracking.
I have other antique cars with 30 year old tires -Denmans and Lestors with no cracking and still look like new. I think it's the way some tire rubber is manufactured and of course forced to replace by date instead of wear helps tire sales.
c39er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #18
Gary S

I bought a low mileage used car in the late 90s. It had BF Goodrich tires on that had 60% tread on the tires at the time. Within a year, the tires started cracking and breaking up. I took it to my BFG tire dealer. The tires were over 15 years old, but BFG gave me back 60% against new BFG tires.

Take it to your tire dealer and see if they can help you.
Gary S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #19
dragonballz

I used to work at a dealership and at a tire shop. We've always seen Michelins dry-rot much sooner than other tires, including the no-name cheapos.
dragonballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #20
SteveCh

It's not just Michelins. I live at 8500 ft. elevation where UV is stronger than down lower. Any tires on our cars will show this after a few yr. of sitting outdoors, regularly driven. Many of the locals who have boat trailers or RVs or etc. will put these [canvas??] covers over their tires. Don't know how well that does, though it will cut off most of the UV.
SteveCh is offline   Reply With Quote