Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #1
goodfellow

Default Angle Head 3/8" Air Impact Wrenches

Since there was some interest in these older air impacts, I thought it interesting to start a new thread rather than hijack the e-Bay purchase discussion.

I've included some pics of my current angle head collection and will try to address the question "why these tools are not popular anymore ?" -- even though they are really super efficient and have excellent ergonomics.

As to their demise, I'm just speculating here, but they were originally made in the US and Great Britain and sold anywhere from $130.00 to $250.00. I have a unique Brit made $250.00 CP (actually a Black and Decker design) model that I bought off the MAC truck back in the early 70's (pretty expensive). Then in the mid-70s all production moved to Japan and the prices dropped to around $100.00.

I'm guessing that since it's a fairly complicated design, once air tool mass production moved to Taiwan and eventually China, it was no longer possible to make a good profit. A few models were manufactured in Taiwan, but the tools were not suited for cheap mass production; consequently they fell out of favor.

Also, many of the companies or divisions that sold/marketed these tools are now history. Rockwell, Sun, Rockford, and US Rodac either went out of the air tool business or went out of business altogether.

Here are a few pics

The first is actually a Taiwan sourced ACME brand purchased from Michigan Pneumatic several years ago. It has higher torque and speed than the traditional designs (~ 100+ ft/lbs). Notice the larger head design on the tool

The Rockford was an SK tool truck brand during the mid 80's

The CP is an old B&D design that was manufactured in Great Britain and cost quite a few $$$ off the MAC truck. I had to replace the end cap with a plain B&D item, but kept the original broken CP cap for model identification purposes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0046-400.jpg (10.8 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0047-400.jpg (8.6 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0048-400.jpg (14.4 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0049-400.jpg (9.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0051-400.jpg (10.6 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0050-400.jpg (12.1 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by goodfellow; 07-29-2008 at 12:01 PM.
goodfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:00 PM   #2
goodfellow

Default Re: Angle Head 3/8" Air Impact Wrenches

A few more ---

The traditional SUN brand -- was quite common among all the tool truck offerings

and the Rockwell model (identical to the SUN model)

If you have info or pics on these tools I'd appreciate your input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0052-400.jpg (10.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0053-400.jpg (10.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0054-400.jpg (12.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0055-400.jpg (16.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0056-400.jpg (13.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0057-400.jpg (10.0 KB, 44 views)
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-29-2008, 08:34 PM   #3
vssjim
Alliance Member

The Cp 723 tool is far far ahead of the others you show, and the design of that tool was Skill not Black and Decker. It also was sold by Skill first. It was a very strong tool and the other tools you show are copy cats in shape only the air motor and impact mechanism is much weaker than that Cp tool but it was demed to be too costly to continue production but I think they were wrong. At that time Cp was bought and sold many times and dirrections the company went in changed alot all the time until Atlas Copco bought them an everything has been much more stable.
vssjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:15 PM   #4
eschoendorff
Director of Bands

Man I'd like to have any one of them....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose-LandTran View Post
Why bother? Natural selection will take care of them. If it doesn't, a 12-gauge can take care of the unnatural selection...
eschoendorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:27 AM   #5
goodfellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by vssjim View Post
The Cp 723 tool is far far ahead of the others you show, and the design of that tool was Skill not Black and Decker. It also was sold by Skill first. It was a very strong tool and the other tools you show are copy cats in shape only the air motor and impact mechanism is much weaker than that Cp tool but it was demed to be too costly to continue production but I think they were wrong. At that time Cp was bought and sold many times and dirrections the company went in changed alot all the time until Atlas Copco bought them an everything has been much more stable.
vssjim -- thanks for the info on the CP723 -- and the clarification on the Skill design. Although I'm a still bit confused on the B&D involvement since the replacement backplate I received was indeed a B&D part, albeit without any serial numbers on it.

It is a much heavier wrench than the Asian versions and although the ergonomics are not quite as good, it does produce a lot more torque than any of the others.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
Petesmowers

Yeah, I know it's an old thread, but I just resurrected my Skil mod 1123 3/8 impact that I bought in 1973 off an independent truck. The thing still works great. ( Looks like the CP 723) It was made in USA. Interesting thread!
Petesmowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:09 AM   #7

Glad to find this thread still going too....... I have a SKILL 1123 from the early 80's that I need to find repair kit for. Petesmowers, did you find a repair kit, or were you able to use all the old seals and vanes? Anyone have an idea where parts might still be stocked for something like this? Found repair parts for my CP734 1/2" impact bought in the late 70's at this location, but nothing for cp723:
http://oemproamtools.com/CP_Parts.htm
4946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #8
franzdom

Is SKILL counterfeit for SKIL?
franzdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:47 AM   #9
4x4gearhead

How much torque were these capable of?
Old 07-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzdom View Post
Nah... It's me at 1:00am. Miss a few details at times.
4946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
foxthehunter

I m looking to buy a Skil 1123 3/8 impact - had one in the 70's - burgler took all my tools - would like to pick one up now - any ideas - I looked on ebay.....
foxthehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #12
jvitez

Very cool thread. I'm glad it was resurrected as I never knew these type of tools existed. Now I want one too. I can see the angled body being very useful depending on the circumstance.

The answer: "All of it."
jvitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #13
jvg124

i have a skil model # 1120, 5/8th. inch internal drive and I am searching for the tool number of the skil 1120 attachment,it makes the impact wrench a ratchet. thanks john
jvg124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #14
TheGrooveking

I have and love that Rockford! It's my goto for small impact, it only has 45ft.lb. of torque so it has limiter applications, bit I love the feel and its access due to its shape.

TheGrooveking
TheGrooveking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #15
Greatbear

I have a Florida Pneumatic version. Still going strong after probably 25-30 years. Loud as hell though.
Greatbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:14 AM   #16
mysteryman

I have all the parts new to repair the CP 723 and the Skil 1123 . The triangle cap in the picture is off of a CP 723 made in Great Britan . They were made under license from Skil.. Skill stopped making it in 1974. They were very expensive to build.
They could not make any money on them due to the poor quality and low priced imports that were being dumped into the country. The Skil was better than the CP . But either one was a top shelf tool. They were the best 3/8 impacts ever built ! I bought everything that was left for the tools when Skil shut down the pneumatic division. I even have a few brand new in the box. If anyone out the needs parts , tune up kits or a brand new tool . I can be reached at 301-219-7399 anytime . I am home most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfellow View Post
A few more ---

The traditional SUN brand -- was quite common among all the tool truck offerings

and the Rockwell model (identical to the SUN model)

If you have info or pics on these tools I'd appreciate your input.
mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:52 PM   #17
mysteryman

I knew the man that designed the Skil 1120/1123 .. It was one of the best impact wrenches ever produced... I bought all of the Skil inventory when the company was sold in 1979... I HAVE ALL THE REPAIR PARTS TO FIX THESE TOOLS ! I am the only one in the world hat does. I have remade some of the parts that have I ran out of. I also have several NEW complete tools in the original boxes I would consider selling. I can be reached at 301-933-52seven seven or 301-219-7399 anytime or email mysteryman@joimail.com. I also rebuild the tools as well via the mail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4946 View Post
Glad to find this thread still going too....... I have a SKILL 1123 from the early 80's that I need to find repair kit for. Petesmowers, did you find a repair kit, or were you able to use all the old seals and vanes? Anyone have an idea where parts might still be stocked for something like this? Found repair parts for my CP734 1/2" impact bought in the late 70's at this location, but nothing for cp723:
http://oemproamtools.com/CP_Parts.htm
Old 01-22-2014, 03:30 PM   #18
mysteryman

Skil sold the 1120 and 1123's private labeled to B&D as well as many other companies. I recall how JC Penny tried to break into the tool market in the 70's.. They wanted to be the next Sears Craftsman. Penny's bought a small amount of 1123's from Skil with the JC Penny badge on them. I have one in my collection. Matco tool Sold quite a few with their name on them as well. Many of the vary early Snap On early tools were made by Skil also. The Snap on large pistol grip 1/2" drive model AW500 was one of my favorites. I still have several of them in my stash.
The CP723 was made under license from Skil in Great Britain. The CP 723 was ok but the Brits cheapened the tool by cutting corners on the design and materials.. Too much un regulated air pressure blew them up... Most shops back then had 175 psi shop air. The CP was made to run on 90 psi.. The square drive anvil was too short on the CP723 and had that dam ring to hold the socket on. Needless to say. The anvils all wore out prematurely ! The skil had a pin type anvil and was much longer. They lasted for years. The CP723 had an all cast aluminum housing. The Skil had a steel nose with aluminum cast around it. The CP nose would stretch out and the busing would start spinning in the housing ruining the housing. The Skil never had these problems... The Skil housing also had stainless helicoil's in all the threaded holes to prevent wear. The CP was tapped right into the aluminum. The bolts in the CP were always stripping out on the back cap from the impact mechanism's vibration.. Excessive air pressure just made this problem worse ! See my other post in this thread for more on this and my contact info. Yes I have plenty of parts for these tools!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfellow View Post
vssjim -- thanks for the info on the CP723 -- and the clarification on the Skill design. Although I'm a still bit confused on the B&D involvement since the replacement backplate I received was indeed a B&D part, albeit without any serial numbers on it.

It is a much heavier wrench than the Asian versions and although the ergonomics are not quite as good, it does produce a lot more torque than any of the others.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:31 PM   #19
mysteryman

Yes @!

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzdom View Post
Old 01-22-2014, 04:07 PM   #20
mysteryman

If you had a Skil you would chuck the Rockford in the trash....The air valve is so controllable on the Skil you can run drywall screws with out breaking the paper. I also often run down Auto trans valve body bolts without over tightening them.. The bolts are #10 x 24 thread. Torque spec is 100 inch pounds.
The Rockford you have is a vary old design. It was originally designed by a company called Rodac. In the the early 1970's Rodac had this wrench made in Japan.. It was horrible quality. The motor end plates were made out of pot metal. They had a vary short life span. But they were cheap ! they sold for 1/3 the cost of a SKIL... That was the beginning of the end of the pneumatic tool manufacturing in the USA.. In 1974 Mrs Schultz shut down the Skil pneumatic tool division. The division never really made much money and with the Rodac import junk being dumped on the market she felt it just was not worth it.. Skil was a top notch product in those days. They were not willing to manufacture cheap junk to compete in the new market... Or take the risk of bastardizing their brand name...Skill was best known for their wood cutting circular saw. In their day they were considered the finest in the world. Today things have changed. It seems like nothing you buy is much good. It seems like no one takes any pride in anything they build... 50 years ago no body would buy junk that didn't last....

As for the Rockford.... This design is still made by dozens of manufacturers around the world.. They work but are considerably longer in length than the Skil and have a lot less power. The head on the Skil is only 3" long and makes 100 to 112 lbs of torque. see my other posts in this thread for more on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrooveking View Post
I have and love that Rockford! It's my go to for small impact, it only has 45ft.lb. of torque so it has limiter applications, bit I love the feel and its access due to its shape.

TheGrooveking