Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
737mechanic

Default Best gap filler for driveway expansion joint

The expansion joint that separates my garage from the driveway has a 1x4 board that is mostly rotted and I have pulled some of it up. I would like to fill this 3/4 to 1" gap with something heavy duty like what they use on city streets to fill the cracks. Home depot has some stuff in a small 1 liter bottle that might work but it is about 15 bucks for one and it would take probably 30of them to fill the length of the gap. Does anyone have any ideas that of a product that is fairly cheap that would work for this.
737mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
CNGsaves

Question Re: Best gap filler for driveway expansion joint

Looking forward to replies on this one. This past weekend cleaned out gap on my drieveway concrete and there's about 1" gap for maybe 12 ft and 3" deep. Mine might take several gallons to fill.

Could I fill most of void with thick tar so nothing would grow back in there, and then top off with say 1" of better flexible fill product?
CNGsaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
737mechanic

Default Re: Best gap filler for driveway expansion joint

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGsaves View Post
Looking forward to replies on this one. This past weekend cleaned out gap on my drieveway concrete and there's about 1" gap for maybe 12 ft and 3" deep. Mine might take several gallons to fill.

Could I fill most of void with thick tar so nothing would grow back in there, and then top off with say 1" of better flexible fill product?

Thats about the same as what I got. I have 30 feet to fill that's about 3 to 4 in deep and about 3/4 to 1" wide gap. I thought about filling most of it with some backer rod and then filling the top with some kind of heavy duty filler.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
Zeke

The stuff on the streets is not much more than roofing tar. Maybe for a twenty a roofer will pour you out some. It will stay hot for about 20-30 minutes in a metal pail. It's nearly 500 so be extra careful.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
zporta

Use backer rod and sikaflex to fill the gap.

I trick I learned is used clear dish soap on your fingers to smooth it out. Kind of like spitting on your finger with caulk. But the soap works wonders

As for its strength, I've ripped out porches and had just the sikaflex hold a piece of concrete to the house.
zporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
premierplayer

Not cheap, works great.
Vulkem 45

http://www.poolcenter.com/service_su...g_supplies.htm
make sure you check out the caulking tips at the bottom of the page.
"Show us your PVC air lines"

Last edited by premierplayer; 06-24-2013 at 06:59 PM.
premierplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
Ed Litsch
Banned

I'd use that tar board that comes in different thicknesses. I don't know what it is called, but that is what they should have used to begin with instead of wood.
Ed Litsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
larry4406

Backer rod and sikaflex is what the County Right of Way inspector requires me to use on driveway aprons before excepting into state system.
larry4406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
Hmrhead

Dig out the old expansion material, back fill most of crack with sand, spray generously with weed killer, push in 3/4" backer rod, fill with sikaflex or the Qikcrete crack fill from HD or Lowes. Did this at the end of my drive 3 years ago and still holding up after driving on it daily, shoveling snow and a using a snow blower. Use on a warmer day and the crack fill should self level.
Hmrhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
theoldwizard1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zporta View Post
Use backer rod and sikaflex to fill the gap..
Yep !
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
sophijo

The backer rod can be problematic. The filler will leak through the smallest gaps between the rod and concrete. I use sand and fill hole to about 1/2" from top.
sophijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:26 PM   #12
737mechanic

Filled my driveway expansion joint with sikaflex after using sand and backer rod to take up most of the joint. The joint is 3/4 to 1in. wide. Sikaflex is some really cool stuff. Here are some pics right after I was done.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #13
Big Bad Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard1 View Post
Yep !
X3
Old 09-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #14
MTW

Quote:

I trick I learned is used clear dish soap on your fingers to smooth it out. Kind of like spitting on your finger with caulk. But the soap works wonders

As for its strength, I've ripped out porches and had just the sikaflex hold a piece of concrete to the house.
This is the way, best done at the time the concrete is poured. Other brand are available, look for self leveling urethane.

When I put in my drive 25 years ago, I specked this to the contractor. They were unfamiliar with it and complained why I wanted it. After they used it they started selling it on all of their commercial work and would bring customers to my home for a inspection. With new work there is available a plastic cap strip that fits over the top of the normal felt that installed in the expansion joint. Once the pour is complete and the forms are removed, you peel off the top 1/2" of the cap and you have a perfect 1/2 * 1/2 recess to apply the urethane.

One other thing I learned later was to do the saw cut control joints too. After about 5 years one saw cut section of a slab started to heave up from the frost, water leaking in the cut and freezing. I used 1/4" backer rod to fill all of the cuts and applied the urethane, making sure that the cuts were well cleaned to ensure bonding to the slabs.

After all these years my 60 yards of drive is still in great shape, no further slab movements, and no weeds to kill in the joints. If your in snow shovel country, don't fill all the way to the top, to prevent hitting it with a shovel or snow-thrower.

One other tip, if you can't find backer rod to fill the gap you have because it's too big. Buy some foam pipe insulation and cut it lengthwise to fit. As I recall the urethane is only supposed to be 1/2" deep.
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #15
737mechanic

MTW The foam pipe insulation would have been a great idea. I needed 1" backer rod and couldn't find any place close to me that had any so I had to order it from amazon. Had I thought of the pipe insulation I would have went that route.

And you are right about the 1/2in depth. That's the MAX that they recommend.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #16
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

I used Sikaflex in the saw cuts of my garage floor. I know it says something on the tube about backer rod for wider joints. It looks like yours turned out ok.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:16 AM   #17
GoNative_KY

I went to bestmaterials.com to get my backer rod. They have closed-cell and soft-cell in varying widths. I used their NovaLink SL and have been pretty pleased so far. On a side note, I used play sand 6 years ago to fill that gap and topped with a DAP concrete filler. DAP stuff held up, but I would not do the sand fill again. We ended up with a huge ant colony, thousands of ants! If you go that route I would pour diesel fuel or something on top of the sand to discourage the ants. Maybe not the most EPA friendly thing to do, but beats the alternative.
GoNative_KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:45 AM   #18
mrlodge

if you're looking for an easy no-brainer joint filler, I recommend "gap armour " you can buy it online and they have videos on how to use it on youtube.
mrlodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #19
stitan06

Quote:

Where can u buy the sikaflex at

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk
stitan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #20
bofe954

I bought mine at home depot.
bofe954 is offline   Reply With Quote