Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
tdkkart

Default Garmin BaseCamp???

Has anyone had any success at all trying to use this POS program?? I've dicked away nearly 4hrs today trying to draw flippin' map with this program and have accomplished NOTHING.

I can draw a cross country map using any of the online sources, MapQuest, Google etc in 5 minutes, but of course when I download the map to my Garmin it insists on recalculating the map making it useless.

There's NO REASON this should be this hard.
I can draw 3D CAD drawings, but i cant draw flippin map on a computer?? Really??

Disclaimer: What I say is based on my knowledge and experience only. It's entirely possible I'm full of shit. You've been warned!!
tdkkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
Teken

Default Re: Garmin BaseCamp???

I would also like to know how this is done. I tried like you for a few weeks and then just gave up.

I come from a very technical field but after spending what seems like weeks and reading all the forums.

I truly felt stupid . . .

Teken . . .

Quote:
GRX: Judging from past experiences my guess would be Racoons. They can easily jump onto the lid if the can is too heavy to knock over. Either that or Man-Bear-Pig.
Teken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
hh76

I haven't made any tracks on basecamp, but I use it to modify ones that I've downloaded from other sites, or made on my gps. Seems to work pretty well for that.
hh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
where2

I gave it a shot. Some of their software titles have always been quirky... Base Camp seems almost useless without having my Garmin Nuvi here to plug into the computer. The base map is too basic! In my area, there are no neighborhood streets shown without having a Garmin to plug in... Of course, my Garmin is on the road tonight, not home where I can use the maps to show something other than the basic highway grid.

Last edited by where2; 07-10-2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: updated response
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:02 AM   #5
tdkkart

Bump, just to see if anyone else has a comment.......

Disclaimer: What I say is based on my knowledge and experience only. It's entirely possible I'm full of shit. You've been warned!!
Old 07-11-2013, 06:07 AM   #6
Mowerpan

What they (^) said. Useless program that is not user friendly at all. I use it for adding way points via coordinates from Google earth but that is about it.
Mowerpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #7
tdkkart

OK, if not Base Camp, what do you use to do useable routes that the GPS wont recalculate the hell out of when you upload the route to it??
Garmin advertises their units to be compatible with .GPX files, but they're not really, at least not without the unit recalculating them to uselessness.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #8
hh76

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdkkart View Post
OK, if not Base Camp, what do you use to do useable routes that the GPS wont recalculate the hell out of when you upload the route to it??
Garmin advertises their units to be compatible with .GPX files, but they're not really, at least not without the unit recalculating them to uselessness.
What model do you have?

I have an Oregon, and I just download GPX files, then use Basecamp to load onto the GPS. Works great for me, and I haven't noticed any recalculating.

http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75

Lots of good information on this site, although I've never looked for Basecamp specific info.

Last edited by hh76; 07-11-2013 at 08:40 AM.
hh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
tdkkart

Im using a 2557 lmt, car gps. I think the firmware for the handhelds is different. Im finding that if your not using basecamp youll get no help from the garmin folks. Its just that Basecamp is so G¥%~`¤ frustrating its not even funny. Ive spent hours trying to make it work with no success. As Teken said, makes you feel like an idiot.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
jd_1138

Is BaseCamp for their handheld hiking GPS's -- like e-Trex or Oregon or whatever?

Their car GPS's are nice, but TomToms are nicer, IMHO, with better interfaces, more useful features and routing options. It goes TomTom, Garmin, Magellan, then all the crappy brands.
jd_1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
Zelatore

Oh brother, I know your pain. Basecamp is a total POS. Sadly, it's the best thing I've found.

I've been able to create maps and upload them to my Montana running the streets maps and not have it recalculate, but it's not easy to do. I think it took me a couple days to set up the routes for a trip to Taos last year.

The holy grail is to be able to create maps in Google and import them. Why Garmin can't just mimic the easy of use of Google (insert start, insert stop, drag and drop route to get route you want...no instructions needed) I don't know. Basecamp feels like something from about 1998. There are ways of doing it if you search around, but it's not easy and involves using mulitiple third-party apps to make it happen. It was so annoying I went back to just suffering through Basecamp.

And you are right that every Garmin unit will react differently. If you create a route with one, then upload it to another, it may well come up with a different route based on it's internal firmware.
Zelatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #12
Zelatore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
Is BaseCamp for their handheld hiking GPS's -- like e-Trex or Oregon or whatever?

Their car GPS's are nice, but TomToms are nicer, IMHO, with better interfaces, more useful features and routing options. It goes TomTom, Garmin, Magellan, then all the crappy brands.
Basecamp is for any/all of them. It's a free download from their website.

The idea is nobody wants to sit using the tiny screen and limited interface of a GPS unit to create big routes. It's nicer to do that on the computer then upload them. That's the idea anyway...

It also has a bunch of other features I've never used. Stuff like creating 'stories' and putting pictures into the map where you took them, stuff like that. I really never looked at those things, I just wanted to create custom routes and have them on-hand when I'm out for a ride.
Zelatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #13
Blk88GT

Send a message via MSN to Blk88GT

I've tried to use Basecamp but I gave up. I use Mapsource exclusively.

This is for a 60CSX and for off-road use. I don't know if it works with the car stuff.
Blk88GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #14
tdkkart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk88GT View Post
I've tried to use Basecamp but I gave up. I use Mapsource exclusively.

This is for a 60CSX and for off-road use. I don't know if it works with the car stuff.

From everything I can gather it does not, of course neither does BaseCamp, so ow bad can it be??