Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-11-2008, 03:22 AM   #1
AidanN20

Default Wanting to build 40x60 shop. Estimated total cost building myself? best kit to buy?

Ive been looking at taking the extra 1/2 acre lot behind my house and building a 40x60 shop. Ive never built anything like that before, but i have great mechanical skill (I own a automotive performance shop and im extremely automotive/mechanical) but ive never done any type of construction work.

Im in California for reference.

Anyone estimate what the total cost range could be buying a metal garage kit and what the best "value" suppliers would be for a metal building kit? Im trying to estimate the cost of all the concrete work and the complete cost of the 40x60 kit plus the added cost of electrical/lighting/water etcetc...

Can it be done for $25k? Or is $30-40k more realistic...or is even more than that. im not sure where to start on what kit to buy or the best for the money.
AidanN20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:04 PM   #2
blkhonda1991

Default Re: Wanting to build 40x60 shop. Estimated total cost building myself? best kit to bu

dont know the costs involved...but have you check local zoning ordinances yet for the allowable sizes as well as setbacks? best way to get started before you fall in love with a bigger building and then are forced to downsize due to zoning
blkhonda1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-11-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
jcp907

Default Re: Wanting to build 40x60 shop. Estimated total cost building myself? best kit to bu

About two months ago I asked a steel building manufacturer a similar question and there are a lot of variables discussed, but $30-40 per square foot was the ballpark they offered. I agree with blkhonda on the check zoning first, if nothinhg else, zoning regulations will likely increase cost. Unfortunately, I can't afford it, and I would rather know that now, than after I broke ground.
jcp907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:41 PM   #4
slddnmatt

mine ran me about 25k for the building and then about 11k for the concrete and ive been putting it up myself. i shopped around for awhile and this was a good price compared to others i found for the size. mine is 50X60. deffinatley check your codes to see if you can even put one up im in riverside ca....

matt

http://www.steelcorebuildings.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garage pics 070.jpg (59.3 KB, 200 views)
slddnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:03 PM   #5
dan-

I just completed a simular project. The total for the building erected came in just under 55-60k. Not including grading.

Since this was built this year steel prices have gone up around 30%

The builder says CBC building are builder friendly!

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthrea...&highlight=dan
dan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:18 PM   #6
yzair

Just got a quote from ajsteel in san berdo 30 x50 with 10 ft ceiling with 2 garage doors and 1 man door delivered for $15,500 + 5.00 dollars per ft for install by manufacturer.

15,500.00 material
6,000.00 labor to install
6,000.00 for concrete /minimum grading

total 27,000.00
yzair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:32 PM   #7
AGBill

I am in the process of building a 40 X 40 X 16 H steel building, also in California. I had the following done by contractors: grading, slab, building erection including full insulation (walls and ceiling) and sheetrock (walls only). I am doing the rest: interior framing, plumbing, electrical, painting, air distribution, etc. The building does have an office, full bath and utility room.

My total cost looks like it will be between $45 -$50 per square foot for the completed building.

The costs of some building materials have doubled to tripled in the past 2 years!
AGBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:12 PM   #8
AidanN20

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkhonda1991 View Post
dont know the costs involved...but have you check local zoning ordinances yet for the allowable sizes as well as setbacks? best way to get started before you fall in love with a bigger building and then are forced to downsize due to zoning
Luckily its a commerical/industrial zoned property. residential house was built on it long ago and grand-fathered in.
AidanN20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:52 PM   #9
blkhonda1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidanN20 View Post
Luckily its a commerical/industrial zoned property. residential house was built on it long ago and grand-fathered in.
interesting
blkhonda1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:51 AM   #10
DHill

Costs depend on materials in your area. But I can try to give you quantities for my 24x24 garage, stick built with 2x6 walls, insulation, and 5/8 plywood on both sides, Hardiplank fiber cement siding, and (in progress) 100 A electrical service, upstairs attic. All labor is mine except for concrete.

I looked at kits from places like Carter Lumber and I didn't like them. Mostly because it was all 2x4's and I wanted thicker walls. I also didn't like their trusses because it didn't give me much of an attic.

Framing was my favorite part. I loved it, almost enough to quit my job and become a contractor. Siding is tedious. Insulation is dreadful.

Another way to save money is when the slab is poured, instead of building the footer with blocks, just pour it all at once. Materials are cheaper than labor these days. My 24x24 slab with vapor barrier, 4" thick slab, and 36" deep footer came in less than $6k. Since you are in CA I don't know how deep you are required to go for your frost line... if you even have one.

Here's what I'm talking about:

Before slab was poured:

To ballpark your materials cost, take my square footage (576) and multiply by 4.16 to get your 40x60 (2400). Geez that's huge. I want your shop.

Permits: $160
Demo costs including dumpster rentals: < $500 (all shovels, hammers, and sweat)

Lumber in dimensions and quantity and (function)

2x6"x 16 treated, 14 (sill plates - I got too many)
2x6"x 16, 52 (rafters, ridge beam, soffit frame, and top plates - I ran out)
Weyerhauser OSB 5/8" thick, 80 (outside+inside wall and roof sheathing, used it all with some left over)
2x6"x 8, 140 (walls, bridging, and truss construction, used them all)
2x10"x 24, 24 (joists and bridging, used them all)
2x4"x 8, 30 (extra bracing, made posts to support ridge beam, used most of it)
2x12" x 20, 3 (header)
2x10" x 8, 10 (bridging, used all of it)

Roofing materials were cheap. I think I put a roof on it for less than $1k including all of my Owens Corning dimensional asphalt shingles (30 yr, like that means anything), and I used ice and water shield near edges and felt for the rest of the underlayment.

Hardiplank siding, trim and roofing materials were about $2700. Covered ~ 1000 ft^2 of wall or so. Theyhave good calculators on the Hardiplank site.

I ended up going to Lowes a lot to get more 2x6 and some 2x4 pieces. I also used some more 2x10's for blocking the joists.

I have not used drywall as of this update (8/4/08) as the interior is sheathed in the OSB. I am currently planning on drywall for the ceiling, which will probably be ~18 sheets at ~$7 ea.

I also did not include insulation in my original estimates (oops). I think I used 8 packages of R-19 batts. Then there will be R-30 for the ceiling, probably ~10 packages or so.

I've spent ~$200 in paint so far for the exterior. I'm going on $200 and counting for electrical. I expect to be around $1k for electrical in just materials when it's done.

Right now I'm at about $17k and counting, and that includes the purchase of an entire nail gun arsenal (thanks eBay). If I would have paid somebody, it would cost twice as much. Keep in mind though, I started demo of the old garage in May of 2007, didn't start framing until August of 2007, and here it is August of 2008 and I'm finally painting it and digging a trench for electrical. If you do it yourself, prepare for a time committment and at least a little bit of stress on the home life.

If I could go back in time I would have rotated my roof by 90 degrees and put the gable sloping toward front and back rather than side to side. That way I would have a south facing slope for solar panels, which is one of my dreams. Also I would have pushed the building inspector for a larger footprint. 24x24 is as big as my city code allows, but I bet I could have petitioned for something bigger. Another 8 ft in width would give me a nice workshop area and some more storage.

Another thing I didn't foresee was the cost of the door. I also kind of wish I had another foot of height because even if I get a little mid-rise scissor lift (more dreams) I'll be limited on how high I can go.

If you can get away with a pole barn, like US Metal Buildings or something, it's worth checking out their designs. They have a much more commercial look. You can also insulate them with spray foam insulation for a quick and easy solution. See Tiger Foam or similar.

This is before I started painting.

Might be different than what you are looking for as it seems like the size of your shop demands a metal building. My neighborhood wouldn't like a metal building in my backyard, even though I would.

See here:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3284410
and here
http://www.zpipedragon.com/Home/The_...new_garage.htm

Last edited by DHill; 08-15-2008 at 07:10 AM.
DHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:34 AM   #11
Evil Asian

I am just finishing building a 40 x 60 x 16 building in Idaho. I am going stick built, mostly because I started buiding a pole building, and it blew over in January, so the Insurance is paying for this one. The walls are 2x6, metal siding and I had an 18 overhang on the eaves.

Costs:
Labor $10,000.00
Materials $22,000.00
Concrete $15,000.00
Excavation$ 1,500.00

I will post pictures this weekend in the Gallery
Evil Asian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:42 PM   #12
mpraddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidanN20 View Post
Be careful, just because it's zoned commercial/industrial doesn't mean there aren't setback requriements and maximum lot coverage limits. Sometimes commercially zoned areas have greater setback requirements than residential.

my garage build
http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7600
mpraddict is offline   Reply With Quote