Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
TXST8tj

Send a message via AIM to TXST8tj
Default Fourth Time is a Charm: 3-car tandem

My wife and I just closed on our new home yesterday. It is our fourth home...and definitely the last. Won't go into the boring details, but it's bigger, nicer, and in a huge master planned community. The "man details" are that I still have a 3-car garage (had one with the last house) and I have a theater room. I think that's the only stuff ya'll care about, right? We also went from 2300 sq ft to 3800, so we can all stretch out a little more.

On to the garage.....

It is a 3-car tandem style setup....2-car up front, double deep on the left side. It is about 600 sq ft with the rear portion having about a 12ft ceiling height, and the front section having about a 9ft height.

Here are a couple pics from a week or two ago. I haven't taken any 100% pictures yet....I should get on that.

The first step was to get the floor coated. I messed up with the previous house and did not have this done right away (as planned) and it never got done. No worries. We don't live there anymore, haha.
We actually have not moved anything into the house yet, and scheduled the movers around MY garage floor getting done....bosses orders! (she is amazing by the way)

As many do, I considered doing this myself, but ultimately decided to let the pros do it. I hired on a company to tackle the project. They use "Arizona Polymers" for their coatings. From what I see, I am going to be very happy with the product. When I found this company, they were working in our neighborhood, coating several homes in a section just over from ours. I got to walk a few of the garages to see the product. I was very impressed. I later found out friends of ours in the same neighborhood had theirs done by the same company.

I opted to go with the AZ "Marble" configuration. I wanted a light grey base with white, black, and red chips. The marble only comes with the white and black chips, but they picked some red chips up for me.

YES, I am going with the typical grey, white, red, and black scheme. Perhaps all too common in our small forum community, but I assure you it is not common among the masses.

This is the mix. This shows a full broadcast, but I asked for more of a 75% cast. I want to see some of the grey base coat.

Next on the list is paint. While it is empty and clean, I plan to bring some painters in to take care of the scheme.

I plan to use the Gladiator series of cabinets and such. I like the Husky product line, but my wife prefers the look of the Gladiator. While she spends no time in the garage beyond parking her vehicle, I am just not going to split those hairs!

I run a small 'side business' of outfitting Jeeps and trucks, so I put my garage to use regularly. On top of working on other people's junk, I try to work on my own.....

My F-250 will not fit in the garage, so it makes an easy home for the TJ and my wife's Tahoe.

I would like to keep it organized such that 95% of everything is stored in the single car portion of the garage, keeping the front clear for swinging SUV doors and children.

They prepped the floor today and will lay the base coat and chips tomorrow. They will be back Monday for the top coat. It is a 4-part 'industrial grade' system.

Last edited by TXST8tj; 10-18-2013 at 04:44 PM.
TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
crepr12

Default Re: Fourth Time is a Charm: 3-car tandem

Nice house and Jeep. Enjoy...Where is the garage
crepr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
TXST8tj

Quote:
Originally Posted by crepr12 View Post
Nice house and Jeep. Enjoy...Where is the garage
Thanks!
I will get some better shots of the garage. I have been to busy moving stuff to slow down for pics.

I did snap a couple after the first coat of clear. They finished up with the second coat of clear yesterday.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
TXST8tj

There are not too many out of the ordinary things to mention about the garage.

I did have the builder wire in a 220v outlet at the head of the garage for my air compressor. I plan to have another one installed closer to the main panel at the center of the garage (for eventual larger welding machine), but I needed the builder to run the outlet at the head of the garage during framing.

I had a cat6 outlet run at the head of the garage to keep my garage PC hardwired.

The weekend before the drywall went up, I snuck in and ran a couple speaker wires from the head of the garage (where the Ethernet outlet is) to the ceiling in the middle of the front part of the garage, to install some in-ceiling speakers. I have a big 'ol set of bookshelf speakers that I used to run, but I want less clutter in this garage. The 8" in-ceilings I will install have plenty of 'crankability' and won't take up any space.
(the theater room is the only thing above the garage, so not too much worry of noise travelling up)
Old 10-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
TXST8tj

I am leaning back to Home Depot's Husky line of cabinets. I think they will suit me better in form and price than the Gladiator will.

I need to do some looking around, but I think I have a basic idea how I want everything set up. I want as much stuff stored in the back section as possible, so I know I will need 2-3 of the tall cabinets. I think I will incorporate an open rack of sorts to store Jeep and truck parts.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #6
Crackerballer

Looks great. Really like the tandem setup. My only concern is that I'd want to get a 3rd car in and leave myself no where to work! However, your 3 tandem in addition to a 2x2 tandem detached would be awesome
Crackerballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #7
dubber

Beautiful house. Look forward to seeing the garage take shape.

dubber's double

dubber's single

2004 .:R / 2014 JETTA TDI
dubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
TXST8tj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerballer View Post
Looks great. Really like the tandem setup. My only concern is that I'd want to get a 3rd car in and leave myself no where to work! However, your 3 tandem in addition to a 2x2 tandem detached would be awesome
Thanks! I really liked the 3-wide setup of my last garage because I could spread out when working, but I think this tandem setup is actually going to work better for me for organization.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubber View Post
Beautiful house. Look forward to seeing the garage take shape.
Thank you!

I am thinking about starting off with two tall cabinets just outside the door to the house. I want to keep one of these for general house-hold things (cleaning supplies and that sort) and the other for lawn/garden stuff
The rest of the storage will be in the back section. I think I can get everything in two tall cabinets (not tool related) along the left wall, and then have some of the short cabinets up on the wall above the workbench on the back wall.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #9
Sunbimmer

Nice...everything enjoy !!

Sunbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #10
55cadillacking

I think Husky cabinets have a more sleek look to them over the Gladiators. I know a number of GJ members who love their Husky cabinets so I would assume the same for you. It's amazing just how much stuff those full height cabinets will store. I love the fact you have ceiling mount speakers in your garage. When we roughed out our sound system I mentioned the possibility of wiring up the garage but that idea didn't get much traction from my other half. I should've snuck in like you did! Anyway, best of luck as it all progresses.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
TXST8tj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbimmer View Post
Nice...everything enjoy !!
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55cadillacking View Post
I think Husky cabinets have a more sleek look to them over the Gladiators. I know a number of GJ members who love their Husky cabinets so I would assume the same for you. It's amazing just how much stuff those full height cabinets will store. I love the fact you have ceiling mount speakers in your garage. When we roughed out our sound system I mentioned the possibility of wiring up the garage but that idea didn't get much traction from my other half. I should've snuck in like you did! Anyway, best of luck as it all progresses.
My wife stepped out into the garage for the first time this morning to take a look. She was very impressed (of course I am too). I told her I had decided on the Husky line over the Gladiator and she was good with that. She suggested that I start at the head of the garage with the work bench and then work forward. I will do that, but make those two cabinets by the door next priority. My preference has always been the Husky cabinets #1 because of the sleek look, and #2 they are a good deal less expensive than the Gladiator.
She was thinking the Gladiator thinking the diamond plate design on the doors would prevent/hide scratches better.

I am very excited to have the in-ceiling speakers out there. I always have music on out there, and it will be nice to have the speakers out of sight. Actually just ordered those yesterday!

I was lucky the construction super did not mind me making a couple changes to the stereo wiring throughout the house. The builder pre-wired the living room for 5.1 as well as the theater room. We also got stereo wiring on the back porch, master bath, and gameroom.
While I was adding wiring for the garage, I added an additional surround zone in the theater room for 7.1. IMO, 5.1 is generally perfectly fine, but....no regrets!

Last edited by TXST8tj; 10-22-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #12
dubber

Sounds like your wife has been really helpful encouraging and suggesting options for your overall plan.

I've got one of the 32" Husky cabinets and its unbelievably helpful. I have soo much stuff tucked in there including my vacuum, a mini fridge, compressor, spray cans, dirty rag bin, stool, heater, polisher and more!

dubber's double

dubber's single

Old 10-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #13
TXST8tj

Quote:
Sounds like your wife has been really helpful encouraging and suggesting options for your overall plan.

I've got one of the 32" Husky cabinets and its unbelievably helpful. I have soo much stuff tucked in there including my vacuum, a mini fridge, compressor, spray cans, dirty rag bin, stool, heater, polisher and more!
She really has. I know she's up to something. hahaha. I kid.
Really though, she knows how much I want to get my garage set up nice and clean and frankly, she really just does not want to see STUFF everywhere.
I built wooden shelves in our last garages which were stupid strong, but unsightly as they collected junk and plastic tubs.

I work in the garage a lot in my spare time ....work on Jeeps, so it will be nice to have a tidy work space.

Last edited by TXST8tj; 11-18-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #14
TXST8tj

Haven't updated in a while; mainly because there has not been much to update . We shifted back to the Gladiator cabinets. My wife preferred them over the Husky, with the thought that their rough finish would resist scratching better. They also have more add-on organizational accessories.

We took advantage of the Black Friday sale at Sears and started the collection. We got three of the 30" cabinets that were 50% off, as well as the 6' workbench that was also 50% off.
I also ordered a 72" cabinet, the golf bag holder, the 4-tier open shelf setup, and two of the single door 24" cabinets. I also got 4 of the 4' wall panel sets that were buy-one-get-one-free.
It is a good start, but I REALLY need the other 72" cabinets. for the majority of my storage needs.
The upside to the stuff we got is that the 72" cabinet, one 30", and the golf caddy will go on the ledge just to the left of the house entry door. The tall cabinet will be for lawn/garden stuff and the 30" cabinet will be for household cleaners and such. The golf caddy will sit below that cabinet. In that area I also plan to add the shoe rack down low and the angled brackets for the recycling bin as well as my shop towels (1 for clean/1 for dirty).

The other two 30" and two 24" cabinets will go above the workbench that will all be located at the head of the garage.
I am going to use the open 4-tier shelf for Jeep/truck parts and my stock of LED light bars that I sell. The next round of 72" cabinets will be in line with that shelf.

I was only able to leave with the workbench and 30" cabinets. The rest should be here in a couple days.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #15
dubber

Nice planning for black Friday deals.

dubber's double

dubber's single

Old 12-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #16
TXST8tj

Quote:
Nice planning for black Friday deals.
Thanks. Yeah, I was looking forward to it. We didn't do any shopping otherwise.

UPS dropped off one of the 24" cabinets. I had a bad feeling about it as soon as I saw the box. I opened it up and the first thing I noticed is there was no Styrofoam on the top like there was with the 30" cabinets. There was just a piece of thin cardboard on top.
Pulled it out and a nice huge dent on the top edge. The hinge also has a lot of play in it. It is also missing one of the rear wall mount brackets, but one of them was already installed. Basically, it looks like a damaged return that got put back into stock to sell.
Will be dropping that off at Sears tomorrow. Hopefully they have a replacement in stock. I am still waiting on the other one to come in.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #17
55cadillacking

If I'm not mistaken, that third bay seems to be filling up with "stuff". This concerns me…
Old 12-05-2013, 05:29 AM   #18
BRIANBB

Good looking house Patrick. Cant wait to see the garage all done up. I looked at houses in that area but couldnt find any with a detached garage for a reasonable price so we just redid the current house. See ya around.
Brian
BRIANBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #19
TXST8tj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55cadillacking View Post
If I'm not mistaken, that third bay seems to be filling up with "stuff". This concerns me…
Oh, it has been concerning me since we moved in. That is all the garage stuff. It looks worse than it is once unboxed, but is the sole reason I have been dying to get these cabinets.
There is a path down the middle of all of that. The problem is I have to move all of that stuff to get the work bench, cabinets, and tool chest back there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIANBB View Post
Good looking house Patrick. Cant wait to see the garage all done up. I looked at houses in that area but couldnt find any with a detached garage for a reasonable price so we just redid the current house. See ya around.
Brian
Thanks! Well dang man, they just sold the house next door to us that has a detached garage. haha.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:30 PM   #20
TXST8tj

Still haven't gotten any organization done in the garage....can't seem to say no to helping other people with their projects. I WILL be getting work done this week. Stay tuned.