Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-30-2014, 11:26 AM   #1
wazzza

Default Garage in northern Norway

Hi everyone

I have been registered here for a long time, but never really written much. I have gone through many of the buildthreads here and gathering inspiration for my garagebuild. I am 26 years old, living in northern Norway. English is not my first language, but I will try the best I can.

I have always wanted my own garage, but since I lived in an apartment earlier there was no room to build a garage. Finally, last fall I bought a house with a descent sized property, at least what we think is descent . The house is old and out of date interiorwise, but well maintained from the previous owners. That means I dont have to do much repairs on the house, so I can spend my time and money on a nice garage/workshop.

I sent the build-application and started planning ang gathered offers from different builders this winter.. Regulations says that I can build up to 70 sq/meters ~ 750 Sq/feet without involving a contractor. The application is also very simplified if you keep it below that limit. The good thing is that I can send a new application next year and extend the garage with another 70 sq/meters With that in mind I wanted a wide garage and sacrifise depth at this stage. Its easier and cheaper to extend the garage lenghtwise rather the widen it.

After talking to a local garage and home-builder I ended up with 7,2 m X 9,5 m = 68,5 sq/m (23,6 ft X 31,1 ft) with 3,4 meters height. I have already done all the work on foundations and are currently waiting for the garage to be delivered. The builder sells pre-cut garages were everything is cut, marked, and ready to be installed, but they wanted very little money to prebuild the walls compared to what this will cost in total. The prebuilt walls and trusses will be delivered with a crane-semitruck in less then a week.

These first posts will basically be a summary of the project so far. Feel free to ask and comment.

When I bought the house

The plan

Started digging

I bought a long pipe to use under my road for drainage.

The entire build so far has been done by me with the help of good friends. I rented a 2,7 ton excevator and wheel loader to do all the digging and removal of dirt. Luckily I have (had) a slope next to the house were I could dump all the dirt and make a lawn there later. The garage is actually only a small part of this project. Since I hade to get concrete-trucks and the semitruck up to the footings I had to improve the road up to my house. I dug out and widen the road by 2 meters all the way and greatly enlarged the parkingarea. In total I estimate that we dug out and removed almsot 300 cubicmeters of dirt.

Rental-equipment at work.

We had a small accident with the wheel loader. One of my friends forgot the lower the bucket and hit a hole when he was turning so the loader fell on its side.. Luckilly he was not hurt as he could get his foot crushed by the loader. I work part time as a towtruckdriver and many of my friends at the site are members of the local offroadclub so we had plenty of winches available. It took 10 minutes from the accident until it was back on its wheels. Here is a video from my dashcam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDlpM7qf2Xo

My neighbour a contractor and is currently working on a jobsite only a few hundered metres from my house so he had ordered a large shipment of gravel (8-22 mm diameter sand/rock) and another mixture of crushed rocks (0-120 mm diameter sand/rocks) for his project. I made a deal with him so he delivered 50 loads of 0-120 up to my house using his Volvo L90 loader. I have
not received the bill yet, but it would cost a fortune to get this delivered by truck because the roads here have strict weight-limits. 0-120 is ideal for constructing roads and it gives a strong foundation for my garage. I have laid drainagepipes along my entire driveway and around the footings. There is also a pipe going from the footings and downwards to drain around the fottings.

Drainage

After delivering back the loader and excevator I finally received some parts for my friends excevator so I could repair it and use it while he was at sea. I rented this 500 kg heavy vibrating machine wich I have no idea what you call in english. It vibrates and compacts the ground.

My friends excevator

The foundations has a 5 cm drop towards the front to keep water from staying inside the garage. I have insulated and laid plastic on the ground before I framed up for the concrete. I have laid 3 rounds of rebar. The concrete is reinforced with steel fibres from the factory so I dont need rebar-nets.

It took two trucks to deliver all the concrete while two friends and I did the work. I rented a "helicopter" to smoothen the concrete. I have never done any kind of concrete work before, but I am very pleased with the result. The helicopter made a huge difference in the finish.

Right before I went offshore myself I got the lower concrete walls finished and leveled out the top. Finnaly the footings are ready for the wooden structure.

Last edited by wazzza; 06-30-2014 at 11:29 AM.
wazzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:37 AM   #2
Sunbimmer

Default Re: Garage in northern Norway

Beautiful spot on our globe you got there I'm following.

Sunbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-30-2014, 11:37 AM   #3
sean Buick 76

Wow, you are doing a really good job!!! You certainly have no lack of energy!!!

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=238537
sean Buick 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
FJ 432

First off congratulations on your build.

Your English is actually very good. I'm not sure I could live in your cold environment but you area is beautiful in the Summer. Are Dodge trucks popular in Norway?
Old 06-30-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
Arps

So far so good! Keep the pics coming.

That view is amazing!
Arps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:15 PM   #6
wazzza

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the feedback. All the work in the previous post was done in 3 weeks. Luckilly the weather was great most of the time. Things go so much easier when its not raining

Since I live north of the polar circle we have midnight sun and lots northern lights in winter. Dodge trucks are not very common. The 2. gen was never imported by dealers, so most of the trucks are imported one by one by people who wanted them. My truck is very rare because of the HO-package with 6-speed manual. The 3.gen was imported by dealers, but only for a year or two.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:25 AM   #7
MG David

Those look like hollow concrete walls. Are you going to fill them with foam or poured concrete?
MG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:45 AM   #8
wazzza

The lower blocks are hollow yes, but it is not necessary to fill them with concrete unless they are below ground. That way the outside ground will put pressure on the side of them.

The bottom block is called a "basic-block" The top block is called a "U-block". The top is reinforced with rebar and filled. Since the walls are placed ontop of the floor wich leans 5 cm forwards, I had to level out the top to make the wooden structure level. You can see the slope in this picture were I made a level frame to fill with concrete..

Old 07-01-2014, 06:34 AM   #9
Bib Overalls

You have a million dollar view. You certainly moved a lot of dirt and gravel to get your building site ready for construction. I'm guessing you work on an oil drilling platform so your posts will come in batches when you are ashore.

My father was from Norway and he said that before the war American cars and Harley Davidson motor cycles were very popular.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ratpoison/

When I am dead and gone a new owner will walk into my 99% completed dream shop and say "this place has potential."
Bib Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:27 AM   #10
MacTexas

Good start, I am going to enjoy watching this build.
MacTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:02 PM   #11
magnusk750

Fascinating for us up north who are moving tons and tons of material for a foundation to compare with our american friends who happily, more or less, smoothens the land out and pour concrete on it.

Keep up the good work.

Facebook: facebook.com/OyMagnusHenriksson
magnusk750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:25 PM   #12
Brian R

This is epic! A large pile of gravel and a friend with an excavator - does life get any better?

Thanks for posting and I can't wait for updates.
Brian R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:45 PM   #13
4AudiQ

What a great start!
A Dodge truck with a Cummins engine in Norway!
Subscribed.

PNW
"Immanuel"
Roger
http://4audiq.webs.com/
4AudiQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:55 PM   #14
cort

Good work, and thank you for posting. You have some beautiful views from your house.
cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:49 PM   #15
CRH

Niiiiiice
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:05 PM   #16
ajohno

great views of the mountains.

Aaron's Double Garage
ajohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:50 AM   #17
Carl_WI

Very nice build. I enjoy watching different building methods from around the world.

My Ride:
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee

My Tractors:
1969 Ford 4000
1956 IH 300 Utility
1955 Allis Chalmers WD45
Carl_WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:57 PM   #18
Pluribus

Beautiful location and very cool to see a 6-speed Cummins Dodge there! I look forward to seeing more of this great project.
Pluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:46 PM   #19
G McKay

That looks like you really have a great start. I'll really enjoy seeing how this turns out. Good luck.
G McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #20
wazzza

Thank you guys, it helps on motivation to get that kind of feedback! I just got home from the rig last night. Now I have 4 weeks off to work on the garage. I work as an instrument technician and I do maintainence on the control system for safety systems, turbine control, productions etc. I work on a rig called "Oseberg Fieldcenter" It is three rigs joined togheter with bridges. We just finished upgrading the drillingequipment with new drawwork, topdrive, fingerboard, cementer unit, mudpumps, shaker, HVAC, Catwalk etc.. It will be a whole new world for the crew working there...

My truck is probably one of 3-5 trucks with that colour and the HO-package. Mine came from a dealer in Texas and came to Norway when the American owner moved here and took his truck with him.

@magnusk750: Yes it is facinating to see how easy it can be done when you dont have to think about frost and such.. The frost can go as deep as 2-3 metres were I live, so it is very important to drain the ground and insulate. A typical pole-building would never work here.. IT would twist and bend like crazy when the water in the ground freezes and starts lifting...

I made some progress on the garage today.. The garage is expected to arrive tomorrow afternoon...

I removed to framing to see how the concrete was doing and everything looks good.

When I did the floor I dropped in 5pcs of box steel. They are intended to be used for anchors if I need to straighten a frame or something.. Today I welded down some bolts to anchor a temprary frame. This will be used to support the walls with diagonal stands while the builings is being bolted togheter and secured to the concrete walls. Please dont b*itch about my welds

I picked up some scaffold.

Here is the steel fibers that is in the concrete. I have about 125 kgs of it...

The view from the livingroom

Last edited by wazzza; 07-02-2014 at 04:50 PM.