Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
tinbender 66

Default The "pedestrian" garage

I'm pretty new here. I came to look at the "1930's garage resto" (awesome thread btw) after seeing the article in Car Craft. Now I'm stuck here. There's a line in an old Pink Floyd song that goes "There's no way out of here, when you come in, you're in for good". That describes GJ pretty well lol.
I call my build "pederstrian" because it's pretty basic. Basically it's an ag building disguised as a garage. And, I started this almost 7 years ago. It's all been "out of pocket" and being in construction (commercial architectural sheet metal) sometimes my pockets ain't so deep! Anyway, on to the job.

This shot just show the driveway coming into my house. I just show this because the guy that did the work made me trim a lot of branches on the right side so they wouldn't scratch his dump trucks! He does have some VERY nice trucks though

This giant tree had to go sadly. I didn't feel comfortable with this one so I had this guy fall it for me. He did it perfectly! Fifty bucks.

I had a local excavator do the work. He added 40 tons of sand to bring it up to grade, put in the driveway to it, regravelled the driveway you just saw and the parking area you just saw. He came over and guesstimated it at 3K. After he did it he sent me a bill and it was only $2100. Honest guy.

New driveway

Pad for building

otobucket.com/
More in little while. Comments and criticisms welcome.

Paul

PS: It's 48 x 24

Last edited by tinbender 66; 04-19-2011 at 01:07 PM. Reason: one more time
tinbender 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
JC23

Default Re: The "pedestrian" garage

Lookin' good so far. Keep 'em comin' Whatcha gonna do in there?

And yeah, you hit it on the head with the Floyd quote. You'll fit in just fine so welcome aboard tb!
JC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #3
tinbender 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC23 View Post
Lookin' good so far. Keep 'em comin' Whatcha gonna do in there?

And yeah, you hit it on the head with the Floyd quote. You'll fit in just fine so welcome aboard tb!
Thanks, As for what I'm gonna do in there, I've got a '66 Chevy II 100 2dr sedan that needs some lovin'. Also my wife's beloved '72 VW Beetle needs a heart transplant and a few other things. Other than that I'm just gonna hide in there.

Paul
Old 04-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
Motown 454

Welcome ! Funny when I got here Hotel California was running through my head. lol That will be a nice sized shop when its done. you'll have to keep us posted on your progress. We love pictures...
Motown 454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
tinbender 66

Here are a few more pics as it moved slowwwwwwly along.

First is the little building that I built when we first moved here. It's 16 X16, insulated, heated, tv, etc. I had to have something so I could get my tools out of storage. I thought the garage would come soon after but life got in the way. This little shop was perfect for the R/C airplanes I was into at the time and later I got way into model cars. When I finally get everything out of there, it will become my wife's "cave".

It's a pole building. I couldn't find anyone to bore the holes so I rented on of these.........

And one of these.........poles have to be 48" in ground in a 18" dia. hole.

The 6X8 poles got delivered. Funny thing is, I ordered and paid for 14' ones (for about 9' ceiling) and they delivered 16 footers so my height gained another 2 feet for free

Old 04-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
tinbender 66

Next I bored some holes........Only hit one root! Poured a sack of Quikcrete in the bottom of each.......

Threw the poles in.......

Then my wife helped me kick them around for a couple of days to get the outside dimensions right and make it square. Two days later (drove my wife crazy) everything was right on. Well, actually the diagonal was 1/16th" off lol

Old 04-19-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
tinbender 66

Gotta go now. I'll get back on here this evening. Thanks for looking. I hadn't seen anything new for a while so I thought I might as well add some clutter
Old 04-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
BEAVO

Cool that u get another two feet.
BEAVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:20 PM   #9
tinbender 66

After the posts were located properly the holes were filled with concrete. IIRC it took about 3.5 yards.

Then the trusses

The posts are 12 ft o.c. with two trusses at each. This is legal for the required roof load. The trade off is I can't put a ceiling across the bottom as they are not to designed to carry a bottom load. I nailed some "crosses" low on the posts and nailed all the blocking in between them for the roof purlins.
A friend who owns a well service company came over with his boom truck. No charge. It's nice to have friends!

They were held in place temporarily by some blocks nailed at a line I established with a laser. To be acceptable they had to have an 18" 2 X 6 block under each one with 2- 3/4" bolts and another bolt through the bottom of the truss. One thing I hadn't figured on was spending $300 on bolts and an auger bit!

Then I put up the 2 X 6 purlins 24' O.C.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #10
tinbender 66

Then came the roof sheeting. I was "lucky" enough to need sheeting just as the price of OSB went WAY up to about $17 per 4 X 8 sheet. At that point I opted to get 1/2" CDX @$20 a sheet. 52 sheets. I just happened to like plywood better.

That's my wife on the roof. She helped me nail a few sheets but she doesn't like heights much!

Felt paper

Day one roofing. Just plain ole comp. Borrowed a coil nailer from a friend. Only way to fly

Day two about done

Last edited by tinbender 66; 04-19-2011 at 10:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-19-2011, 10:48 PM   #11
tinbender 66

Once the roof was on I could move on to concrete. Another friend who is a small GC helped a lot here as I had zero experience. We did it in three pours on three consecutive Saturdays. It's slab on grade 4" thick with fibermesh, no steel. The slab is about six years old now and doesn't have any cracks. Yet. It came out pretty nice except for bay two which is a little bit rough. We tried to do too much the first day. It started out cloudy and cool and then the sun came out and the guy that delivered it was their truck mechanic who had no clue. I may grind it someday. Maybe not. The floor is sealed and I don't plan to do anything else to it anytime soon. I'd love to have RaceDeck but cripes it would cost more than the concrete did! A lot more.

My friend Gary

These guys are goin'..WTF

Old 04-19-2011, 10:50 PM   #12
BEAVO

looking good is that your house in back round?what made you choose shingles over metal roofing and are you using metal for the siding or you using vynle
Old 04-19-2011, 10:50 PM   #13
tinbender 66

I forgot to mention that I put in a toilet base (under about 1/8th" of concrete....SShhhhhhhhh!) and a water line and vent.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:56 PM   #14
BEAVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbender 66 View Post
I forgot to mention that I put in a toilet base (under about 1/8th" of concrete....SShhhhhhhhh!) and a water line and vent.

lol pretty clever just dont forget wheres its at
Old 04-19-2011, 11:02 PM   #15
tinbender 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAVO View Post
looking good is that your house in back round?what made you choose shingles over metal roofing and are you using metal for the siding or you using vynle
Thanks..Yes, that is my house back there. I used shingles so it would somewhat match the house. I used t-111 4 X 8 sheets for the siding which you'll see pretty soon. I was trying to avoid the look of a standard metal covered pole barn. I have done commercial architectural sheet metal for many years and I'm kinda tired of looking at painted metal. I did make my own flashings and gutters though.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:12 PM   #16
tinbender 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown 454 View Post
Welcome ! Funny when I got here Hotel California was running through my head. lol That will be a nice sized shop when its done. you'll have to keep us posted on your progress. We love pictures...
Thanks............I want that SBC!!!
Old 04-20-2011, 04:42 AM   #17
aussie88

like the garage and the dogs haha can we see some pics of the yellow beetle ?
aussie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:52 PM   #18
tinbender 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie88 View Post
like the garage and the dogs haha can we see some pics of the yellow beetle ?
Thanks.......Here are a couple of pics of that Beetle. My wife LOVES that car!

Last edited by tinbender 66; 09-09-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #19
tinbender 66

Next was some framing. The area between the poles was completely framed in with 2X6's so I could use decent insullation and wood siding. I didn't want just another metal clad pole barn as there are zillions of them around here. BTW.....I bought all the framing lumber from the local lumber yard instead of Lowe's or HD. Cost about 30% more but it's all douglas fir and very nice wood. It's mostly framed horizontily, except for the doors. I made those gutters where I worked at the time. 10ft lengths. One 20 min. break and a 30 min lunch break=100lft of gutter. CNC brakes are cool.

Did this corner first. The windows were misordered at a job site I was on. Got 'em both for $100

GD openings framed. The larger ones are 9' wide x 8' tall. I didn't have the doors yet. The opening on the end is 10' wide x 7' tall for a door that was given to me by the guy who helped with the concrete. It's an old solid wood
door but it's in excellent condition. At first I wasn't gonna use it so I framed that space in. Changed my mind, ripped it out, reframed for the door. Glad I did.

Last edited by tinbender 66; 04-20-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #20
tinbender 66

The siding is fake T111, OSB with a coating on it with grooves and texture to make it look like the real stuff, but much less expensive. Trying to drive nails through it is not fun. I first wrapped the whole building with Tyvek.

Painting

Tags
chevy ii, fence boards, owner built, pnw, pole building