Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-04-2015, 02:59 PM   #1
jonb_5

Default Small space, big ambition!

Hi,

I thought I would post my own garage build thread having looked at 100's of garages from across the pond, I definitely have garage envy.

I race a 205 GTi in local hill climb events so I need space to work on the car and store my motorbike as well, I would love to install a scissor lift in the floor if finances permit to work on the car.

Construction wise will be a small brick wall with timber frame on top and a slightly sloping roof from the house away to give a small amount of roof storage.

The planning approved is for roughly 7m x 4m attached to the side of my house.

I have started site clearance, removing trees and an old shed and over the past couple of days started digging.

jonb_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:21 PM   #2
drivesitfar

Default Re: Small space, big ambition!

Jon: it looks like you are definitely going to be stronger after your build if you are digging the foundation footings by hand. looks like a great start.

your picture posting is great for a new member too so don't forget to take your camera out to the garage when you plan on working on it because you know we all like those pictures. plus we or you might catch something you didn't see while you had your head down working on it.

cheers
Here's something to remember. Eat a little, sweat a little, love a little (or a lot) and live the best life you can. you'd be surprised how well a few good words help somebody's attitude and how negative word(s) kills one.

Proper planning & preparation prevents piss poor performance.
drivesitfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-04-2015, 05:37 PM   #3
Martin XJ

Hi Jon from a fellow Brit, I figure you're from South Devon, am I right ?
I will be following your build with interest, how about some pics of your 205.
Martin.

My thread http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=271477
Martin XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:24 AM   #4
jonb_5

Yeah will be digging completely by hand, it beats going to the gym but does add a bit of time to the process.

Yeah from South Devon. I will post some pictures of the 205 up, no problem. It is still a work in progress after stripping it apart and respraying it last year.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:01 AM   #5
drivesitfar

Jon: i agree that working by hand instead of with machines is way better exercise than working out in a gym. can i recommend getting an inversion table and build up to just hanging 5 minutes per day. i'm almost 60 and haven't taken an advil for almost 7 years now since using my inversion table.

i'm curious where you found those huge orange bags to put your dirt and debris in? are you planning on re using the dirt since you are bagging it up or just taking a few bags at a time to friends and neighbors for their gardens or yards?

i re did my front yard a couple summers ago by hand without a cement mixer and only a roto tiller.

keep up the good work and i like your progress so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front before 3.jpg (143.8 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg August 15th progress dirt parking strip.jpg (153.0 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg from street southwest.jpg (156.2 KB, 252 views)
Here's something to remember. Eat a little, sweat a little, love a little (or a lot) and live the best life you can. you'd be surprised how well a few good words help somebody's attitude and how negative word(s) kills one.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:29 AM   #6
jonb_5

I had never heard of an inversion table before but I have just had a look and a lot of people seem to say there are many benefits to them. I am sure it is something I could weld up.

The bags are what a lot of material are delivered in over here, they will hold roughly 1 tonne in weight. In the bags is a lot of rubble which I have from other areas around the house. I kept this to give me a base under the concrete slab.

The soil is being lost in various places around the garden and I am now bagging up in the hope of someone might want some locally in their garden.

The last resort it to get a skip in but they are very expensive and soon fill up.

That is an amazing transformation to your yard, I considered a 'chunky' oak frame on the garage like your structure but decided against this.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:14 AM   #7
drivesitfar

Jon: it sounds like you have a good plan. i'm not sure how you lift a 2 ton orange bag if you ever need to move them unless you own a fork lift. they look like great storage though and nice idea.

the inversion table i bought years ago after trying almost all of them only cost $200 US so might be worth buying one and using your steel and welding time to build a car because the ones you can buy have minor adjustments to make them easy to use.

actually my Pergola is made of cedar, but thank you very much for the compliment. this summer is the huge fence project along the sides and backyard.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:58 PM   #8
jonb_5

Work in progress picture, am hoping to be racing again about April time.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:29 AM   #9
jonb_5

Seems like progress is slow only being able to work weekends, especially with the weather being appalling.

More digging today, I hope to have the footings dug complete by the end of tomorrow, they need a bit more depth and squaring up on the bits I have already dug out.

I have had a few request from neighbours for soil so should be able to get rid of all of it for free which will save me a fair bit of money, more to put towards kitting the garage out.

I am thinking I may do a stepped foundation towards the front of the garage so I might get away with pouring it in 2 parts so if I can the first part should be going in next weekend.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:47 AM   #10
drivesitfar

Jon: it's looking good so far and i know progress may seem slow, but it is progress. can you give us a wider shot of the side yard so we can maybe give input or see where your access and where the rest of your foundation is going to be?

is the access where the orange bags are or from the other side? i'm just guessing the one side is next to the sidewalk or is the sidewalk coming out?

you are doing great with the progress and your posts.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:59 AM   #11
jonb_5

The access is the other side of the orange bags so that big tree is coming out when the main structure is up.

The foundations will carry on running parallel to the house until they are almost level with the front wall of the house.

You can see the drive in the photo below, the new garage being built on the right hand side. The rest of the drive will be block paved once the old garage has been converted. Just a little job to add to my list. I did the front part as I have widened the entrance by about 1 meter to make it easier to back the trailer in. A lot easier to do than I thought it would be, all in the preparation.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:08 AM   #12
sean Buick 76

Welcome! I am subscribing so I do not miss any updates! Do you have any more pics of the race car in action? What type of racing?

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...8537&showall=1
sean Buick 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #13
jonb_5

It's Hill Climb racing, there are several places local to me that I can take part and fairly budget friendly compared to circuit racing.

These are pictures before we sprayed the car and made the suspension and wheel modifications etc.

Old 01-11-2015, 02:34 PM   #14
Cris B

Nice! Is that the Gurston hillclimb?
Cris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:13 AM   #15
jonb_5

No, this is Wiscombe Park, it's a great venue.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:20 PM   #16
jonb_5

My other toy destined for it's new home. Love this thing!

Old 01-13-2015, 02:57 PM   #17
sean Buick 76

Nice big brakes!

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...8537&showall=1
sean Buick 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:37 PM   #18
polexican23

is that the 954? oh how I miss mine, but it did help with the home down payment.
polexican23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:22 AM   #19
jonb_5

Yeah its a 954.

I have always have Ninja's but just fancied a change an I am glad that I did.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:42 AM   #20
jonb_5

Put footings in today and managed to get rid of a load of soil.

The plan is to build the dwarf wall and get the rest of the site cleared by the end of next weekend.

Can anyone advise of how to pour the floor slab. I have hardcore down but I need something smaller to fill the gaps, what type of stuff should I buy? Also, is it worth putting rebar in the concrete, slab thickness is 4-5 inches.

Made a new home for the new puppy when I got bored with digging as well.

Last edited by jonb_5; 03-04-2015 at 12:48 PM.