Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-18-2017, 11:25 PM   #1
TommyGp

Default Tommy's Toy Box: 36x40x12

Getting ready to start on my garage. We were fortunate enough to be able to buy a house on 3 acres and to be able to afford a shop for all my crap.

Specs:
- 36W x 40D x 12H
- Scissor trusses, with attic truss over the overhead doors for some extra space.
- Two 10x10 doors on one gable end, and one 10x10 on opposite end to allow pull through.
- 6" slab w/ thickened edge and radiant heat tubes(for later completion)
- 5' deep 6" aprons in front of all doors
- 200A service with its own meter
- 10k 2-post lift
- Motorcycle storage lift
- R19 batt in walls and ceiling w/ OSB walls
- More lights than I think I need

Photoshop model and sketch of layout:

The prior owner had done some cut/fill for a stick built garage and never gotten around to actually building it. Thankfully they leveled a nice 36x50 pad area. Unfortunately, since I'm building a pole barn, I can't really use the space intended for what would be a 3' stem wall. Therefore, I've decided to grade the old cut line out to a mowable slope and set the pole barn about 10-12' away from the base of the graded area and throw a French drain around the slab.

Area of shop:

This leads to a question. Is 10-12' away from the base of that slope enough to keep water from getting under the slab if I put a French drain around the slab?

Partial grading complete pic. Still working at it. First time using a bobcat, so I kinda suck.

1999 Jeep 1-Ton Crawler on 40s - My Passion
2007.5 CCSB Duramax lifted on 35s - My Daily
1999 Wide Glide - Family Heirloom
1961 Harley Hummer Super 10 - Family Heirloom
2014 Subaru Legacy 3.6R - Wife's Kid Hauler
1997 Chevy ECSB - Wife's Junk Hauler
TommyGp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:38 AM   #2
MagKarl

Default Re: Tommy's Toy Box: 36x40x12

Given that it looks like you have a lot of space around the barn site, I'd cut a mowable swale around the high sides to assure drainage without relying on a French drain.
MagKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-19-2017, 09:06 AM   #3
TommyGp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagKarl View Post
Given that it looks like you have a lot of space around the barn site, I'd cut a mowable swale around the high sides to assure drainage without relying on a French drain.

Good idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-21-2017, 11:20 AM   #4
TommyGp

Got the rough grading completed this weekend. Once the shop is done I will bring in fresh topsoil for final grading, creation of the swale on top side, and whatnot. Didn't turn out too bad for a novice operator. Took way too many hours compared to someone who knows what they are doing though.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:46 PM   #5
TommyGp

Ugh. One step forward, two steps back. After lots of contemplation I am thinking about just building a 3'x40' retaining wall on the long end, with a 10' stub wall on the front and back of the garage (Imagine a horseshoe shape) and pouring a footing all the way around the perimeter. I can do this all with the help of my friends over the course of a weekend or two and my pole barn builder will get a set of wall forms for me to use for cheap.

I laid out the corners of the building and am not excited about it at all. I think it's going to look goofy, and I'm really not comfortable that it will drain well enough.

The orange spikes are where the corners of the building would go under the old plan.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:23 PM   #6
TommyGp

Default Tommy's Toy Box: 36x40x12

I'm back to my original plan after having several friends who know what they are doing come take a look and give me their opinion. I am going to cut that little evergreen tree down and push the grading out another 10-15' that direction. Then I should be able to add enough grade to the area to move any water out toward the back.

I signed the contract on the building and put my deposit down on Thursday. Made a few upgrades with my final selection:

- carriage style doors with windows and carriage hardware. Wife requested, and we will probably replace the two doors on the house with matching ones.

- poured piers with brackets set into the concrete. $100/post option, and the builder didn't really want to do it because it takes more work and is more expensive, but I look at it this way. In 20 years or so if the posts in ground were to rot, who am I going to claim a warranty from? And if I do, what am I getting? At best I would get a bunch of boards to replace them (they use laminated columns) and would have to do the work myself or pay someone. Plus, true CCA treatment isn't allowed anymore and who knows what 20-30 yrs will do to the new stuff.

- 12" overhangs on both gables to fix my obsession with symmetry.

- the middle door is widened to 12' because the net cost was $70 since it eliminated a post and saved that money.

- 36" cupola with weathervane thingy

- 5" aluminum gutters

Now I just have to wait...and wait...and wait. There were some tornados a few weeks back and the builder has a lot of insurance claim work in front of me. Looks like he will be done in June...hopefully before 4th of July when we have our big party.