Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-03-2015, 03:29 PM   #1
PJS70VELLE

Default My 24 x 30 Cinder Block Garage

Ok so I've been a lurker for quite a while. Seen lots of build threads and have taken in lots of info. I have a 24x30 cinderblock garage with non truss roof. The front and rear gables are tongue and groove including the roof. My wife and I have been here for over 14yrs. I believe the house & garage were both built around 1945ish. The house is cinder block as well except for a rear addition which was an outside porch fully enclosed which is living space. Back to the garage which is the main focus here. I replaced the entire roof with new shingles back in 2008-09 & new concrete floor 2006-07 (sorry cannot really remember exact dates)There were 6 openings for windows and I filled them all in with new block over the last year or so. Needed the wall space and really didn't need the window's plus they were broken when we purchased the house and I temporarily boarded them up. Here's a little info on me. I work at Cornell University full time and also my wife an I run our Business Together. We sell pre owned vehicles. Been in business since fall of 2006. We do most of the work ourselves on vehicles and clean/detail them etc. Two years ago I purchased my first lift which is a 6000lb low rise from Direct Lift. It has been one of the best investments ever. I also added a Coats 5030E Rim clamp tire Machine & Coats 650 Computer Spin Balancer back in 2011. I've been working outta my garage ever since we moved in and have done minor repairs to changing engines & transmissions. We removed a major beam and reinforced the roof and supports so I could lift a vehicle higher than 20+". The side door was an old sliding barn style door and replaced it with a 15 lite.
I had several estimates for a possible new garage (tearing down existing garage) back in 2012-13 and really haven't moved forward with anything. I am now ready to do something. I want to ask for ideas and any advice anyone would like to offer. One of my plans would be to add onto my garage now, thinking of a minimum of 24x30 or 28x30. I need more work space and would like to add on 2 more bays and have a dedicated detail bay for my detail girl and plus add a second lift.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040657.jpg (121.8 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg P1040659.jpg (141.4 KB, 70 views)
PJS70VELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:46 PM   #2
bobemmerich

Default Re: My 24 x 30 Cinder Block Garage

Nice garage. Sorry I can't be of help, but I would start by finding out what your local building dept will allow you to do. Adding on is easy, but then you have the roof line to worry about. Building new has advantages, but then you have NO shop until it's finished (assuming you're building in the same spot as existing garage)

Between the house, garage and cars will there ever be enough time???
bobemmerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-03-2015, 03:54 PM   #3
PJS70VELLE

Thanks for the reply to my thread. A few things I haven't mentioned. Yes we've been in contact with zoning and we pretty much know that an addition would be approved. We had one of those metal car ports next to the garage several years back when we had an old motor home and stored our boat underneath it. Plans changed and we ended up selling it after the motor home was sold, plus we hated the looks of it. We only have a little over a half acre here so space is a factor too.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:18 PM   #4
PJS70VELLE

I found this on another thread and I'm just using it as a reference. Its how I would like to have my addition look on my garage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg doublegaragefrontdoor.jpg (7.7 KB, 38 views)
Old 01-03-2015, 07:08 PM   #5
PJS70VELLE

Some of the vehicles we sell. We like jeeps, the two red ones I am currently keeping. One is a 97 2.5L 4cyl Automatic and the other one with the winch is a 1998 4.0L 6cyl 5-speed and the green one is a 2001 From PA was a repo we purchased 4cyl with the 5-speed. We've sold several Grand Cherokee Laredo's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0200.jpg (151.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0203.jpg (149.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0208.jpg (150.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 01-04-2015, 09:05 PM   #6
bobemmerich

That looks like a good option. the roofline can be added in without much trouble.

Between the house, garage and cars will there ever be enough time???
bobemmerich is offline   Reply With Quote