Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-08-2008, 01:35 PM   #201
Uncle Buck
Banned

Default Re: OldCarGuy’s New Toy Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman1967 View Post
OK I just joined and this is one of the first threads I saw....I am on AWE. I had a nice shop up north and moved to southern Illinois and am still coveting an adition to my 2 car garage. Its packed FULL. But MAN I would give my left arm for that garage...
Only you and every other swingin D_ _ K at the GJ!
Uncle Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:37 PM   #202
OldCarGuy

Upon returning from my escape to Mexico, I’m back at the make-over to accommodate my new BendPak lift of one of my four-car garages. This garage will transformed into my antique restoration and car repair shop. Besides the new lift, I’m installing a bridge crane, tire changer, wheel balancer, work benched, storage cabinets, roller tool boxes, and ultimately a full size paint booth.

Unloading the components of my bridge crane off my flatbed trailer that I recovered from my old house.

I first bolted the four columns to the cement floor. Since the ceiling is higher than the old garage, I added a piece of wide flanged 6” I-beam to the top of each column to increase the hook height. The two runway beams are then placed on top of the columns and braced to the garage walls. The magnet drill press was used to drill holes in the runway beams so that they can be bolted to the columns.

The garage restraints necessitated that I shorten the 12” bridge beam by five feet. My cut-off saw cut made short work of it.

I drilled new holes to attach the end truck back onto the bridge beam. My trusty old cherry picker placed it on top of my scissors truck. Then lifted the bridge assembly in place over the two runway beams. Then install the trolley and 4,000 pound electric chain fall. It’s 120 Volt so I won’t need too add a rotary phase converter. Though I plan on installing a series of cables and pulleys like my main garage shop to keep the wires out out the way.

Ranger tire changer and wheel balancer on my tilt bed trailer.

Simply tilt the trailer bed, and roll off the equipment using my newly acquired pallet truck.

Here a picture of the Ranger tire changer, wheel balancer, and an over view of the bridge crane, work bench, and roller tool boxes. Now to install air lines and wiring to the new equipment...

My "Class Act" Car Hauler's===> Structural Failure

OldCarGuy's New Toy Shop Complex
OldCarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-13-2008, 02:41 PM   #203
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmwpower Send a message via Yahoo to bmwpower

Hey get those things hooked up. I need some snow tires mounted.

As always....
Old 01-13-2008, 03:54 PM   #204
PAToyota

Send a message via AIM to PAToyota

Just incredible that this is your "secondary" shop...

As always -
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:25 AM   #205
boiler7904

Amazing!

Has OldCarGuy ever said what he did prior to retirement?

Looks like a career change might be in order for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpower View Post
Oh, and it's BMWPower. I do have powerful BM's but wouldn't want everyone to know all my secrets.
boiler7904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:22 AM   #206
Holedgr

He said he was an electrician in the beginning of this thread..... Must have been a GOOD one !!! And kept his finances in order as well. Very nice facility you have there, Sir.

-T
Holedgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:16 AM   #207
Bevis

Sweet second shop.
Bevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:16 AM   #208
Jononon

Very nice

Is the tyre changer with a view to changing those on your old cars, or for winter tyres for your daily drivers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCarGuy View Post
I first bolted the four columns to the cement floor. Since the ceiling is higher than the old garage, I added a piece of wide flanged 6” I-beam to the top of each column to increase the hook height. The two runway beams are then placed on top of the columns and braced to the garage walls. The magnet drill press was used to drill holes in the runway beams so that they can be bolted to the columns.
Shouldn't those I-beam spacers have their flanges resisting the cross beam's load ? ie. 90 degrees to their current position
Jononon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:52 PM   #209
FFPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSK View Post
We chatted for a few minutes and I explained that my intention is to send him our new two-post model expected to arrive by years end. No sense in going through the trouble to critique a lift that will be discontinued soon - the significant changes being the lifting carriage and arm components.
I'm looking forward to seeing information and review on this new model as I was considering a bendpak. What is the model number ? I didn't see anything on their website regarding new models, although I could have missed it.
FFPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:10 PM   #210
OldCarGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holedgr View Post
He said he was an electrician in the beginning of this thread..... Must have been a GOOD one !!! And kept his finances in order as well. Very nice facility you have there, Sir.

-T
No I’m not an electrician by trade. Though I have been doing major electrical work for 40 plus years. And I’m not officially retired yet. However when my first Social Security check arrives next month I will be!

The following post in my garage build thread summarizes my career..
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...AFTA#post24926

Old 01-14-2008, 09:16 PM   #211
OldCarGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jononon View Post
Very nice

Is the tyre changer with a view to changing those on your old cars, or for winter tyres for your daily drivers ?
The tire changer and wheel balancer will be used for my antique cars as well as my daily drivers. I would never trust just any tire monkey on any of my priceless chrome plated wires wheels. It will be interesting to see how the equipment will perform on my 1914 38" X 5" tires mounted on Kelsey Hayes 27" rims.. In the past I’d break the beads using my hydraulic press and removed and install tires on all my antique cars using taped-up spoons.

With my past experienced at the tire store, I made up my mind to get what ever equipment necessary to install tires myself... http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=12260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jononon View Post
Shouldn't those I-beam spacers have their flanges resisting the cross beam's load ? ie. 90 degrees to their current position
I’m not a Structural Engineer and to be honest with you I never gave it any thought about the placement direction of the I-Beam spacers. I was only interested in getting an additional 6" of hook height from my crane. And since the bridge and trolley are manual movement, I don’t think there will be any significant side thrust in any direction. However the runway beams are secured to the garage walls. And I’ll keep an eye on any stress that may be transfered to the runway beams..

Old 01-14-2008, 09:18 PM   #212
OldCarGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFPL View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing information and review on this new model as I was considering a bendpak. What is the model number ? I didn't see anything on their website regarding new models, although I could have missed it.

BendPak’s Website doesn’t have any information about the new models they are introducing this month. I’ll have the honor of receiving one of the first one out of their doors.

You'll see it first on Garage Journal...

Old 01-14-2008, 09:38 PM   #213
RattytatTom

Sorry for the question, but didn't you have that crane up for sale at one point? with a trailer?
RattytatTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:32 PM   #214
M. MYERS

If you don,t mind me asking, what size and weight is your runway beams and the same on your bridge beam. How far are you spanding on the bridge?
I am close to starting mine.

Melvin Myers

Give a man a fish
Feed him for a DAY

Teach a man to fish
Feed him for LIFE

M. MYERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:17 PM   #215
OldCarGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattytatTom View Post
Sorry for the question, but didn't you have that crane up for sale at one point? with a trailer?
I did post the bridge crane for sale in the classified section. Received four serious inquires. But wasn’t able to close a deal. Shipping distance was always a problem. I did go as far as packaging my old flatbed trailer to make the sell. That way the buyer need only travel one way towing the crane. Still no sale...

In any event while the bridge crane didn’t sell,, someone came along and made me an offer I couldn’t refuse on the trailer alone. Bingo,, I sold the trailer, replaced it with a new tilt-bed as shown. And when the evaluation BendPak lift arose, I decided to incorporated it into my garage make-over as you can see...

Things have a way of working out for the best...

Old 01-15-2008, 08:29 PM   #216
OldCarGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. MYERS View Post
If you don,t mind me asking, what size and weight is your runway beams and the same on your bridge beam. How far are you spanding on the bridge?
I am close to starting mine.

Melvin Myers
The bridge beam alone weighs 950 pounds and made of a S12x35 (standard 12" I-beam that weighs 35 pounds per foot) that is 27’ long. Each runways is 45 long and consists of one S10x25.4 beam 25’ long and another 20’ long. The columns are made from 4" H-beams with a cross section of 3/8", theses babies are heavy! I built the end trucks with some discarded angle 3/8” thick 4x6” angle that I saved. The eight wheels came from two 4,000 pound trolleys that I had laying around.

Below is a Webpage of an industrial bridge crane supplier. Along with beam capacity chart.

http://www.lkgoodwin.com/more_info/s...y_cranes.shtml

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...achmentid=2831

Old 01-15-2008, 08:33 PM   #217
M. MYERS

Thanks for the information. It is a lot of work to design and install one as you know but I have a friend close to me that built one and it is the tops when working in his shop. Again thanks a lot. Excelent job in all areas.

Melvin Myers

Give a man a fish
Feed him for a DAY

Teach a man to fish
Feed him for LIFE

M. MYERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:39 AM   #218
Jononon

Quote:
The tire changer and wheel balancer will be used for my antique cars as well as my daily drivers. I would never trust just any tire monkey on any of my priceless chrome plated wires wheels.
I take your point, especially given the 'quality' of service from your tyre monkeys !

Quote:
I’m not a Structural Engineer and to be honest with you I never gave it any thought about the placement direction of the I-Beam spacers. I was only interested in getting an additional 6" of hook height from my crane. And since the bridge and trolley are manual movement, I don’t think there will be any significant side thrust in any direction. However the runway beams are secured to the garage walls. And I’ll keep an eye on any stress that may be transfered to the runway beams..
I'm not a structural engineer either (I was an EEng in a former life), so I tend to go for 'by the book +10%', especially on anything that's going to be over my head. The only thing that worried me was the possibility of side thrust, but that doesn't sound like it's going to be an issue, particularly with the rails restrained by the walls
Jononon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:07 PM   #219
OldCarGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpower View Post
Hey get those things hooked up. I need some snow tires mounted.

As always....
Okay Bmwpower bring your snows over!

I completed setting up my new Ranger RX-950AT tire changer and DTS-1000 wheel balancer this past weekend. After figuring the best location for them in my garage make-over I level both units and lagged them to the floor. Going along with the company’s recommendations for their tire changer, I changed the power to 240 Volt from 120 and wired it to a 30 Amp dedicated circuit. Giving the machine and edge on stubborn tires. I also extended the air supply to the changer using 3/ 4” diameter black pipe.

Like any new toy, it takes experience to get the hang of running them. Their first task was installing a slightly used 15” tire on a rim for a spare on my new tilt bed trailer. First the rim is set onto the mounting table and a new valve stem is installed. With a light push of a foot petal, the rim is quickly clamped.

The tire is manually placed over the rim and with the supplied tire iron the first tire lip is put in place. While the assist arm steadies one side of the tire the duckhead is placed under the opposite side tire bead. With the light push of another pedal the tire is rotated and is put into place.

The air hose is attached on the stem. With the push of the side pedal the air jet is energized and seats the tire beads and air fills the tire at the same time. At 20 pounds on the gage, the tire pops and is completely in place. Then finish filling tire with air…

After calibrating the tire balancer. The tire is then fastened on the shaft with the correct cone adapter and speed nut, and the correct rim parameters are imputed into the balancer‘s computer. Lower the hood starts the procedure then stops a few seconds. The reading indicated a one ounce weight on the inside and a two ounce weight to the outside are needed. The weights are placed top dead center when the lights are fully lit on the panel.

After installing the correct weights, I ran the balancer again. And for the fun if it four more times. The reading was always “0” and “0” indicates the tire was balanced correctly…and the tire is removed.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:46 PM   #220
ksp

Man , I wish I had your shops. ;-)
ksp is offline   Reply With Quote