Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-17-2013, 01:25 AM   #1
weadjust

Default RIP Speed Channel you will be missed

As of today Speed Channel goes away and becomes FOX Sports 1. FOX version of ESPN. So much for motorsports on TV except Nascar. I am a Nascar fan but I watched a lot of other programming on the Speed Channel.
weadjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:30 AM   #2
Dar

Default Re: RIP Speed Channel you will be missed

Well that effin blows..
d(-_-)b Currently building my dream garage... In my head.
Dar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-17-2013, 01:30 AM   #3
SignalZero

This is from the My Classic Car Facebook page.

Quote:
My Classic Car, LLC is excited to announce our new network homes! In August, FOX is re-branding SPEED and re-launching it under the name FOX Sports 1 to compete with ESPN. They’re eliminating all automotive enthusiast programming in favor of sports related content. Don’t worry though, My Classic Car (MCC) is not going away. We’re just motoring over to a new network; TWO of them in fact!

In August, MCC will be airing on MAVTV (http://www.mavtv.com/) five times per week - Sunday 4:30pm and 7:30pm ET, Thursday at 2:00pm and 5:00pm ET, Saturday 12:00pm ET. MAVTV is available on DirectTV (219), Dish (361), and a number of cable providers.

Starting in January 2014, MCC will also be airing on Velocity (http://velocity.discovery.com/) twice per week - Sunday 9:30am ET and Saturday 6:30am ET. Velocity is available on DirectTV (281), Dish (364), and most cable providers.

So it’s “pedal to the metal” for MCC on our new networks!

No automotive enthusiast shows. Guess I won't be bothering to watch Fox Sports.

Just glad My Classic Car will live on. Been watching that since I was a kid.
SignalZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:43 AM   #4
amlv20

Speed dug its own grave, I'm glad it's dead.hasnt been the same since fox purchased speed vision.that wasa great network.speed unfortunately turned into the NASCAR channel with hours and hours of useless NASCAR crap during the weekend and dumb reality shows like pi p my ride,r u faster than a red neck,car warriors, hard parts, wrecked, and other nonsense like Barrett Jackson.hell i watched better car shows on spikes power block and velocity channel that were actually more technical enjoyable and serious. only thing worth my time on speed was 24 hours of le mans and daytona,f1,moto gp,alms,v8 super car,grand am, and conti tire challenge.i can't stand the NASCAR garbage and its a shame all that will move forward to fs1 and 2.i hate NASCAR as a motor sport alms was were it was at,to bad it got bought by NASCAR and will only come out on fs2 next year which comcast doesn't offer yet.oh we'll at least f1 and Indy car are on NBC sports.speed finally dead......good riddance.

amlv20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:19 AM   #5
Stinger

Velocity has been a better channel than Speed for car enthusiasts for quite a while. I won't miss it.

Fuel tv is also going away to become Fox Sports 2.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:15 AM   #6
01ssreda4
Banned

Good riddance.
01ssreda4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:46 AM   #7
ebizbuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalZero View Post
This is from the My Classic Car Facebook page.

No automotive enthusiast shows. Guess I won't be bothering to watch Fox Sports.

Just glad My Classic Car will live on. Been watching that since I was a kid.
Coincidentally, I am heading out in an hour or so to a local car show in Spring Green, WI where Dennis Gage is the celebrity guest and will be filming a new episode of My Classic Car.
ebizbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:16 AM   #8
djjsr

I'll miss “Wind Tunnel With Dave Despain”. Pretty good show.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:58 AM   #9
P.Allan

The speed channel might be gone for now but there was a story on the news that Nascar has a larger following than all other sports combined. It will likely be back just under another name.
P.Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:35 AM   #10
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

We never had it so I can't miss something I never had.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #11
JCQuick

yeah I knew it was comming that sucks i loved speed TV its one of the few reasons I have a TV in the garage.
MV TV seems to be taking there place IF you get it
JCQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #12
CNGsaves

Lightbulb Re: RIP Speed Channel you will be missed

Too bad that FOX had to cannibalize Speed to get to point where they decided to compete "head-on" with ESPN.

With decades long headstart, ESPN will be a hard nut to crack if FOX Sports thinks they'll be successful. I doubt FOX Sports will get it right quicky.

If one of the over-the-air major networks decides to add a dedicated digital channel for sports/racing, I think both ESPN and FOX would have to scramble to survive. I'd love to see ABC Sports have a xxx.3 channel with live, and afterhour rebroadcast coverage of major sporting, racing, etc. Viewership and advertising dollars would be much larger pot with OTA channel vs the small slice that ESPN/FOX are now fighting over.

RIP Speed channel on cable . . . maybe future holds ABC Speed/Sports !!
CNGsaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #13
thejunkmanadv

The only thing I won't like about not having "Speed" is now I have to channel flip for all my favorite shows and what about Supercross LIVE, Speed was just starting to do a lot of good things having nearly ALL the rounds broadcast live. Now I wonder where the Monster Energy cup will be broadcaset (if it eve is)
Old 08-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #14
Pat Brady
Banned

Indycar will still be on NBC Sports channel. So, I figure Formula 1 and the other shows will be picked up by someone else. I'll miss the GEARZ, Chip Foose/OVERHAULIN', CHOP CUT REBUILD type shows. So, I hope someone else picks them up. Or that they continue on the same channel.

Last edited by Pat Brady; 08-17-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Pat Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #15
CodyY

Velocity is where its at
CodyY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #16
draglink

all the NASCAR crap killed it for SPEED.

NASCAR was good entertainment until about 10 years ago when they went 'vanilla' with all these boring ass new tracks

I used to be a huge NASCAR fan, go to a few races a year, watch it on TV or at least have it on in the garage. Not anymore...I'll bet I haven't watched 10 laps in 3 or 4 years. Drivers are spoiled douches and tracks are boring
draglink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #17
ratdoggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlv20 View Post
Speed dug its own grave, I'm glad it's dead.hasnt been the same since fox purchased speed vision.that wasa great network.speed unfortunately turned into the NASCAR channel with hours and hours of useless NASCAR crap during the weekend and dumb reality shows like pi p my ride,r u faster than a red neck,car warriors, hard parts, wrecked, and other nonsense like Barrett Jackson.hell i watched better car shows on spikes power block and velocity channel that were actually more technical enjoyable and serious. only thing worth my time on speed was 24 hours of le mans and daytona,f1,moto gp,alms,v8 super car,grand am, and conti tire challenge.i can't stand the NASCAR garbage and its a shame all that will move forward to fs1 and 2.i hate NASCAR as a motor sport alms was were it was at,to bad it got bought by NASCAR and will only come out on fs2 next year which comcast doesn't offer yet.oh we'll at least f1 and Indy car are on NBC sports.speed finally dead......good riddance.
I'm guessing you don't care for NASCAR?
Old 08-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #18
justanengineer

Location: In a house, attached to a garage, on a street, in a city, in NW Indiana...

Good thing I gave television the heave-ho a few months ago...Too busy in the shop and with other projects now to care, and I also have more spending money.
"I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

WANTED: Super Clean or NOS Peterson Vise-Grips.
Please look here: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...28#post3699228
justanengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #19
G_P

Just what TV needs.....another 24/7 NBA/NFL/MLB channel.

Guess now I can channel surf and see the same football game shown on 4 channels simultaneously!
G_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #20
amlv20

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjsr View Post
I'll miss “Wind Tunnel With Dave Despain”. Pretty good show.
Yea I am deeply disappointed that program got canceled, one of the best shows speed had.i hope despain gets another gig and commentates a race or a good show, sure wish they would of carried on wind tunnel and speed center.but motor sports and automotive don't bring in the ratings stick and ball sports do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Allan View Post
The speed channel might be gone for now but there was a story on the news that Nascar has a larger following than all other sports combined. It will likely be back just under another name.
i highly doubt NASCAR has a bigger following than all other sports combinned.they lost fans with the car of tomorrow, lost fans last year and losing fans and ratings this year.maybe they ment biggest following of motor sports which is only true in America because f1 has the biggest following world wide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdoggy View Post
I'm guessing you don't care for NASCAR?
Absolutly not,the cars are fake,the technology is from the 80's,it's spec racing in circles and circles.its a show not a race,in racing it's wwe compared to UFC.i like cool fast race cars on road courses that turn right more times than left that race for endurance periods that require engineering and real strategy that races in the wet,not waiting for the next caution when a car spins or there's debris off the racing line or the stupid competition cautions.its obvious they throw cautions when the cars get to much of a gap and the racing gets boring.what bugged me about speed was they had all the shows all week leading to race, arca,trucks,nation wide practice qualifying and races,then cup practice and qualifying.then race day morning pre race show then turn to fox for another prerace show all about how much drama and how epic the race was going to be and it was obviously boring then the post race show then turn back to speed for another post race show and a recap show latter that night.no thank you.i wish NASCAR would be more like dtm or Australia's v8 super cars. NASCAR justs sucks up all the money and tv time from all the real motor sports out there.im an endurance sports car racing fan and also enjoy open wheel racing.anways Ill stop here I can rant on and on about this.

Last edited by amlv20; 08-17-2013 at 01:05 PM.
amlv20 is offline   Reply With Quote