Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
iahawk

Default auction in NE of dealer's old, untitled chevy's

Wow, saw a story in the paper this morning (AP article) about an upcoming auction in Pierce, NE of an old Chevy dealer's stash of new, untitled Chevy's from the 50's, 60's and 70's. Apparently the small town dealer held on to his unsold cars and stashed them around town (not the wisest business decision). 500 cars and trucks with about 50 having less than 20 miles on the odo! The dealer (Lambrecht Chev Co) closed in '96.

Here's the link to the auction company website and they have a video of going into the old dealership and pulling out the cars...really cool. The first one they pull out is a '58 Cameo pickup with 1 mile on it! The old building is pretty cool, too, kind of a time capsule. Wish it was a better video, looks like they used their phone.

http:/bit.ly/17Q70pT
iahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
iahawk

Default Re: auction in NE of dealer's old, untitled chevy's

after re-reading my post, the link looks a little goofy...I don't think i'd click on it...you can google the auction company...Vanderbrink Auctions...they have the video of the old dealership on their front page...the dealership closed in '96 and they just locked the doors and left everything inside...parts, cars, everything....amazing
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
thejunkmanadv

Yeah this story has been floating around and getting quite a bit of press. I am probably going to go just to see the spectacle. It is an amazing story, none of the vehicles really turn my crank but still an interesting find/auction of nearly legendary status.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
Stuart in MN

It's been posted here about a zillion times in the last couple months. The videos show many of the cars have been parked outside for decades and are pretty rough.
Stuart in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Kevin54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart in MN View Post
It's been posted here about a zillion times in the last couple months. The videos show many of the cars have been parked outside for decades and are pretty rough.
And now a zillion and one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39wd3bYxcv8
Old 08-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
iahawk

crap, didn't mean to post old info.....
Old 08-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
sledzz

I am a short drive from the auction and plan on going. It will be crazy to see all those cars and can't wait. Just wish I have an extra 50k in my pocket to buy something...
sledzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
justanengineer

Location: In a house, attached to a garage, on a street, in a city, in NW Indiana...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejunkmanadv View Post
It is an amazing story, none of the vehicles really turn my crank but still an interesting find/auction of nearly legendary status.
You might consider getting on a good auctioneer or two's mailing lists. Not sure I see what all the hubub is about, dealer auctions like these come around every couple years (3-5 usually), with an almost yearly "former dealer selling 0 miles not-so-rare car" like the 70-something Stingray that made the news last year. Personally, Ive been to quite a few auctions like this one and several I thought looked better the past 30 years w/my Dad.
"I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

WANTED: Super Clean or NOS Peterson Vise-Grips.
Please look here: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...28#post3699228
justanengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #9
sledzz

You don't see what all the hubbub is all about!! There are over 500 cars up for auction! It's incredible. It's making news around the world. This guy was totally eccentric. For a car guy this is cool stuff.
sledzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
Old Steamer

Many of these cars are untouched from the way they rolled off the assembly line. True, a lot were stored outdoors and have weathered, buth those kept inside are truely remarkable.

The question has to be asked that should you purchase one, would driving it destroy the value? Many of these low mileage originals are certainly reference cars for those in the hobby who restore like cars. After all, anything can be restored but original is only once.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #11
thejunkmanadv

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanengineer View Post
You might consider getting on a good auctioneer or two's mailing lists. Not sure I see what all the hubub is about, dealer auctions like these come around every couple years (3-5 usually), with an almost yearly "former dealer selling 0 miles not-so-rare car" like the 70-something Stingray that made the news last year. Personally, Ive been to quite a few auctions like this one and several I thought looked better the past 30 years w/my Dad.
I don't care to be on a mailing list.