Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Flooring

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-23-2013, 02:06 AM   #1
dsimon42

Default Pictures of 1/2 inch or 1 inch chip and color selection for epoxy floor

Hi guys,

I need some help! My wife and I close escrow on a house in a couple weeks, and I am having epoxy floors professionally done first thing. First time I've had floors done. Nice opportunity to do it while nothing is in there!!! I need help mostly with chip size selection.

It's a pretty standard 3 car garage, approx. 21' deep. For color, I'm kind of a black and white type of guy. Long term I am planning grey, stainless, or maybe black cabinetry. For the floors, I'm thinking medium-grey base coat (maybe even darker like charcoal), then chips in black, white, and a little blue (GarageCoatings.com's "Touch of Blue"). Don't need grey chips since I am planning heavy broadcast so the grey base coat will show through.

Now for size. While I do think the typical 1/4 inch color chips with heavy broadcast looks darn good, from a distance it almost looks too "uniform" and just blends in too much (for me - I'm sure plenty of people disagree). I definitely don't prefer the full broadcast style for this same reason. So, I am wondering what BIGGER chips look like, 1/2 inch or maybe even 1 inch, broadcast medium to heavy. It seems extreme based on the fact that almost everyone goes 1/4 inch or smaller, but I can't know without seeing it. Been doing TONS of internet-ing and searching for pictures for comparison, but haven't been able to find ANYTHING showing it!

I read that application of bigger chips is more difficult, but this is not DIY, so hopefully that is not an issue.

Please help!!

Thanks!
Danny
dsimon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
dsimon42

Default Re: Pictures of 1/2 inch or 1 inch chip and color selection for epoxy floor

I should clarify, that I am looking for pictures of completed garage floors from a distance (and up close if possible) to get a good feel. I don't need pictures of the chips themselves as I've already seen plenty of them compared against a quarter (found that picture in multiple threads on this site).

This site is awesome by the way! Learned a lot from reading tons of posts.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
LegacyIndustrial

Default Re: Pictures of 1/2 inch or 1 inch chip and color selection for epoxy floor

Big chips look like a time warp back to the 1970's.
Visit some of the chip manufacturer's sites
Torginol is one.

Most go for the 1/4 and 1/8 as it resembles granite.
LegacyIndustrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
dsimon42

Thank you for your reply! I have visited mfg sites, but haven't been able to find pictures of finished floors with chips > 1/4 inch, only pictures of the chips themselves. Do you have specific examples or sites that do show this?

I am just curious to see what it can look like, as I think the 1/4 inch and less end up looking pretty "uniform"...

I dunno, just want to see it before I rule it out.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
Shea

Quote:
Big chips look like a time warp back to the 1970's.
I hear that!

Danny, take a look at this article about color chips that talks about the various sizes. It also has a link to the Torginol color blending tool. It enables you to play around with a multitude of colors to see what kind of blend that you may like.

Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
LegacyIndustrial

When you deposit these chips to rejection they all blend together.
IE: White and Red flake looks like pink.
The large chip is a pain in the arse to use and it looks very retro. These chip floors were born in the 1970s era and the large chip looks like it.

I have only seen these old floors with the 1" chip, never was part of any new installs that used it.
LegacyIndustrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
dsimon42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post
I hear that!

Danny, take a look at this article about color chips that talks about the various sizes. It also has a link to the Torginol color blending tool. It enables you to play around with a multitude of colors to see what kind of blend that you may like.
Thanks Shea. Yes I stumbled upon that site previously. Definitely helpful to get an idea of color blends, although seeing finished products is much more "real" in terms of how it will look large scale. As far as chip size, they talk about it, but don't show any finished floors.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #8
dsimon42

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyIndustrial View Post
When you deposit these chips to rejection they all blend together.
IE: White and Red flake looks like pink.
The large chip is a pain in the arse to use and it looks very retro. These chip floors were born in the 1970s era and the large chip looks like it.

I have only seen these old floors with the 1" chip, never was part of any new installs that used it.
I can kinda picture what you guys are saying about the biggest 1" chips looking retro, and my gut feel is that 1 inch is truly too big for me, too (although I haven't seen pictures of it finished). What about 1/2 inch? Any pictures of that? I am still wondering if 1/4 inch is as big as you can go without looking "retro". Maybe I am retro, but I am thinking I would prefer a less "salt and pepper", "grainy", uniform look. But can't say without seeing!!
Old 08-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #9
dsimon42

In the absence of any solid pictures of floors done with 1/2 inch or 1 inch chip, I'm gonna go with the "norm" and do 1/4 inch chips. I know that they will look good. Just thought I'd try to explore alternatives.

Thanks to those who provided input!

-Danny
Old 08-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #10
iibgdi

go to google, click "images" type in "epoxy" or whatever key words you want to try a search by. You'll find hundreds of pics.

You can even search by what color you want. I searched for Red and found a ton of different floor pics
iibgdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #11
GarageFlooringLLC

The Torginol Brochure has some pretty decent pics of epoxy floors scattered throughout.

Thank You!

Justin Krauss
President
Toll Free: 800.956.4301 Ext 203
Garage Flooring LLC
524 30 Road Suite A
Grand Junction CO 81504
Justin@garageflooringllc.com
Twitter: @garflooringllc
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/garageflooringllc

GarageFlooringLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #12
dsimon42

Quote:
Originally Posted by iibgdi View Post
go to google, click "images" type in "epoxy" or whatever key words you want to try a search by. You'll find hundreds of pics.

You can even search by what color you want. I searched for Red and found a ton of different floor pics
Yeah I've done that. You get tons of results but not enough descriptive info to know what size chips, etc.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #13
dsimon42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageFlooringLLC View Post
The Torginol Brochure has some pretty decent pics of epoxy floors scattered throughout.
Thanks, yes a good catalog. I've stumbled upon it in threads here. I am guessing all of those pictures are floors with 1/4 inch chip, yes? Again still nothing that tells me "here's a 1/2 inch chip floor at xxxx broadcast", etc. I went ahead and told my guy let's just do 1/4 inch chip. It looks nice and I have not found anything definitive to know if 1/2 inch or bigger would look good anyway, and I am not willing to take that risk! Go with what is common is probably a better approach.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:36 AM   #14
dsimon42

Here are a couple pictures of the finished product. I didn't get any pictures of floors done with color chips greater than 1/4 inch, so I didn't take the risk. It made more sense, of course, to go with the norm. I am very, very happy with the result - I knew regardless, it was gonna look awesome.

If anyone is interested, this is medium-grey basecoat, with "Touch of Blue" color chips from Versatile Building Products, 1/4 inch chip size, heavy broadcast, single topcoat.

The broadcast is fairly subjective (i.e. what is light vs. medium vs. heavy?) I had my guy call me when it was time to flake and I jammed home to check it out on the curb before they flaked the whole thing. Worked out great.

- Danny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0413_resized.jpg (93.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0416_resized.jpg (82.2 KB, 46 views)
Old 09-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #15
Cruzin90

Cruzin90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 inch chip, 1/2 inch chip, chip size, flake size