Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-19-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
jcummins

Default rafter cost

I have an oppurtunity to buy 33, 32 clear span 2x6 rafters. They are made of rough cut pine, I think, and told by a friend they are stout.

How much are these worth? I don't have enough money to build a pole barn type structure at the moment, but I am thinking of getting these and just tarp them for awhile.
jcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
FunfDreisig

Default Re: rafter cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcummins View Post
I have an oppurtunity to buy 33, 32 clear span 2x6 rafters. They are made of rough cut pine,...
2x6 pine generally costs about $.40/ft for lengths up to around 16'. Longer 2x6s cost more/ft. But...

A 32 ft long 2x6 is quite long and not very strong all by itself. I can't imagine a 2x6 that long used as a "clear span rafter" unless it was twinned, used as the base of a truss, etc.

Could you confirm what length this lumber is?

Funf Dreisig

Last edited by FunfDreisig; 08-19-2008 at 10:51 PM. Reason: typos
FunfDreisig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-20-2008, 12:10 AM   #3
mtwaterguy

Something else to think about. If a contractor will be building this pole barn, he'll need load capacity specs. Even if you were to be the GC on the job you might run into problems with these. It would be a shame to lose the roof because of rafters that were not built to the correct specs.
mtwaterguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
blkhonda1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwaterguy View Post
Something else to think about. If a contractor will be building this pole barn, he'll need load capacity specs. Even if you were to be the GC on the job you might run into problems with these. It would be a shame to lose the roof because of rafters that were not built to the correct specs.
are you thinking about trusses?
blkhonda1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
jcummins

OK....I'm not a builder. I called these rafters...but I also think of them as trusses. Can someone clarify the difference.

BTW .... I can get these for about $50 a piece...and we are talking 32 foot span. How much would new ones cost?

Last edited by jcummins; 08-20-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:28 PM   #6
mtwaterguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkhonda1991 View Post
are you thinking about trusses?
Yeah, sorry. When I read pole barn I pictured mine and it has trusses.
mtwaterguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:00 PM   #7
blkhonda1991

Quote:
OK....I'm not a builder. I called these rafters...but I also think of them as trusses. Can someone clarify the difference.

BTW .... I can get these for about $50 a piece...and we are talking 32 foot span. How much would new ones cost?
these are trusses

these are rafters
blkhonda1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:43 PM   #8
Steve in Mi

Quote:
I have an oppurtunity to buy 33, 32 clear span 2x6 rafters. They are made of rough cut pine, I think, and told by a friend they are stout.

How much are these worth? I don't have enough money to build a pole barn type structure at the moment, but I am thinking of getting these and just tarp them for awhile.
They can be built better and stronger than what can be purchased at the lumber yard but a building inspector may require that you have a PE (lic.'ed professional engineer) sign off (signed letter with his seal) on them before he okays using them.

I think a phone call to your local lumber yard would give you a good idea of cost per truss. It's likely your location will influence the price some.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:13 PM   #9
rickas47

Quote:

For my 24' wide garage I had 5 scissor trusses & 14 "attic room" trusses built. Cost with tax & delivery was right at $100. a piece. This was a few months after Katrina, so the materials cost was a bit higher than now.

Trusses are built in a factory. They are held together with stamped steel plates underhigh pressure. A rafter roof is built on sight with nails. The pictures show the difference pretty well.
rickas47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 03:09 PM   #10
kbs2244

A truss is an assembly of boards.
A rafter is a single board.
Are these single boards or an assembly?
kbs2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:19 PM   #11
IDASHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Mi View Post
I think a phone call to your local lumber yard would give you a good idea of cost per truss. It's likely your location will influence the price some.
Typically cost $4-$6 per running foot.

So a truss spanning 20" would cost $80-$120 each.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:40 PM   #12
Steve in Mi

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASHO View Post
Typically cost $4-$6 per running foot.

So a truss spanning 20" would cost $80-$120 each.
Don't you think it better to suggest calling than to provide a range that allows for 50% slop?

Besides, your numbers don't agree at all with what I find in Menards flyer that comes in the paper. The highest price per foot in it is 30 footers at $54.87. They don't list a 20' truss but the 22' is $36.79.

Like I said, call the place you would be buying from.
Note the Menards prices are for clear span and 62lbs./sq.ft. @ 24" spacing.

Last edited by Steve in Mi; 08-23-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Steve in Mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:54 PM   #13
jcummins

I have not seen them, but I understand they are trusses. I think these would be a very good buy, but right now, I've got other expenses (ranch), and I'll have to let them pass.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:38 PM   #14
IDASHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Mi View Post
Don't you think it better to suggest calling than to provide a range that allows for 50% slop?

Besides, your numbers don't agree at all with what I find in Menards flyer that comes in the paper. The highest price per foot in it is 30 footers at $54.87. They don't list a 20' truss but the 22' is $36.79.

Like I said, call the place you would be buying from.
Note the Menards prices are for clear span and 62lbs./sq.ft. @ 24" spacing.
As I said, TYPICAL COST. This is not to be disputed, this is what most builders run with. This is also based upon last summers figures. Cost of materials + labor + markup + current market.

Your quotes per menards are probably old-stock or limited stock left over from a special order. There is no way their regular cost can be that low. It barely covers materials. Let alone labor + mark-up.

Unless they are actually taking a loss on every sale, which is possible due to the crappy market right now.

I just checked their online weekly flyer. No pricing listed.

And of course they should call around. They are going to have to call around to get them ordered anyhow.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:59 PM   #15
Steve in Mi

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASHO View Post
As I said, TYPICAL COST. This is not to be disputed, this is what most builders run with. This is also based upon last summers figures. Cost of materials + labor + markup + current market.

Your quotes per menards are probably old-stock or limited stock left over from a special order. There is no way their regular cost can be that low. It barely covers materials. Let alone labor + mark-up.

Unless they are actually taking a loss on every sale, which is possible due to the crappy market right now.

I just checked their online weekly flyer. No pricing listed.

And of course they should call around. They are going to have to call around to get them ordered anyhow.
Last weeks sale prices may be better than a year old estimate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture jjhh (Small).jpg (43.5 KB, 43 views)
Old 08-28-2008, 11:39 PM   #16
IDASHO

No, I say "last summer" as in the summer we just had. The one that is coming to a close. Being in the building supply biz, we are very keen on building seasons. Our summer season is coming to a close.

That said, this winter looks to be VERY slow. We ( along with the rest of the nation ) can only hope that the market rebounds a bit next summer.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:02 AM   #17
Kevin54

Quote:
At $50/pc you had better jump on them. A few years ago I bought 28 footers and they were $128/pc
Kevin54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:07 PM   #18
IDASHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin54 View Post
At $50/pc you had better jump on them. A few years ago I bought 28 footers and they were $128/pc
Yep, Right about $4.50 a foot.

Which fits the bill for my estimate of $4-$6 per running foot.