Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
Gentle_Ben

Default 25x28 Detached Garage

Well, finally I get to make one of these threads for myself.

Been through a lot with this garage already, denied several permits and had to go back to the drawing board quite a few times (all b/c I was pushing the limits of what was allowed for an accessory building in my area).

But today we broke ground on our 25' wide by 28' long garage. It will serve many purposes, storage for various toys, race workshop in the winter for snowmobiles, place to park my truck, and it will also be an extension of our home for when we need to entertain large groups.

We are going to have heated floors, two 10x10 doors, 12ft stud height, integrated sound system with TV/Projector (still deciding), beer fridge, sink, etc.

A lot of the features in the garage were borrowed from stuff I've seen done on this website. I'll do my best to give shout outs to the people I borrowed ideas from, and hope they understand that I do it with the utmost respect.

Anyways, on to the pictures!

Side of existing attached garage facing backyard where new garage will go.

Build site.

Digging.

Really good soil here.

Site more or less prepared for gravel.

Tomorrow we are getting gravel delivered, and will start prepping for rebar. The idea is that we will pour concrete on Friday. I will update this thread daily with our progress.

Last edited by Gentle_Ben; 06-01-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Gentle_Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:42 AM   #2
HOTFR8
Super Moderator

Location: Castlemaine, Victoria. The Hot Rod Centre of Australia.
Default Re: 25x28 Detached Garage

Looks and reads like you have it well planned out. Will be waiting to see more.
Nifty little tractor you have for breaking the ground and making a start.

www.streetrod.com.au

The Beast Runs>http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...0871&showall=1
Sheddwellers>http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...0063&showall=1
The International> http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32307&showall=1

"V8's are Great, But Six inlines Just Fine" - CUMMINS Advertising.
HOTFR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
Moose97

Cool Re: 25x28 Detached Garage

Good start, can't wait too see more.
Moose97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
Gentle_Ben

Day 2 we didn't get as much done as I hoped. I had to go to work today leaving the contractor on his own. There were some survey flags put up by my neighbor and they got accidentally used. Good thing I came home at lunch and caught the mistake before it was too late!

With the forms moved and staked, we started moving gravel in. Tomorrow I start my holidays and will be able to help the contractor full time, the goal tomorrow is to have the site fully prepped for pouring concrete on Friday, we will see how close we can get.

End of day 2.

Last edited by Gentle_Ben; 06-01-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
Gentle_Ben

Well I've lost track of the days, but we've been busy with the garage.

Me and this thing got to know each other well over the past few days.

Insulated and laying down rebar.

Finished rebar just before the sky opened up and rained/hailed on us.

Digging out the area for the 4ft apron we decided on at the last minute.

Pex lines installed for heated floor, ready for concrete.

Concrete truck sunk trying to come into our yard, we had to hire this massive pumper truck which came right over the house.

This guy was great at his job and made things go super quick.

Power troweling.

If your thinking the concrete looks like crap, you would be correct. While the pour went fine, we lost control of the cement towards the end due to it drying too quickly. It was a series of events out of our control that caused it. I'm not happy about it but there is nothing I can do about it now. We are patching concrete all day today, and once it fully cures then we will put an epoxy coat on to hide the ugliness.

Last edited by Gentle_Ben; 06-01-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:41 PM   #6
Gentle_Ben

One wall built.

Two walls built.

Two walls standing.

It was a bit of a scramble, but we scrounged up 9 people to help us and we lifted the 12ft high sheeted walls without too much trouble. We used the tractor with the lifted bucket to help catch the wall if it went too far.

Tomorrow we will build the gable ends and if all goes to plan we will be putting rafters up on Saturday.

Last edited by Gentle_Ben; 06-01-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
Gentle_Ben

The 12ft stud height is a lot higher in person than it seemed on my computer screen when I was drawing up plans for it. When I woke up this morning and looked out my window I was kind of in shock for a bit. It literally dominates my house and my yard and all the buildings around it already and it doesn't even have the roof on yet.

The rafters were supposed to be delivered today, but the supplier doesn't know if that's going to happen or not. Fingers crossed they come in so we can get the rafters up tomorrow before I have to go back to work again.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #8
andgott

Looking good! I agree, 12' walls seem MASSIVE once you're under them... Mine looked much shorter on paper.
andgott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
Kevin54

It's going to look good. I wish I had that black dirt you have also. All we have is clay that is hard as a rock.

Just out of curiosity, but why the bastard size at 25'? I was always taught that it was easier and less wasteful to make any building or remodeling on an even number. 24', 26', and so on. Was it the square footage size allowed that got you?

Looking forward to the build though. I'm hoping I can get a bumpout on mine before it gets cold, but I'll be pushing it. That damn cold weather is right around the corner. Hopefully you can beat it with your build. At least to the point that you can work inside with some heat.
Kevin54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #10
1/2 Cup
Super Moderator

Looking great, keep the pics coming!
1/2 Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #11
HOTFR8
Super Moderator

Location: Castlemaine, Victoria. The Hot Rod Centre of Australia.

Yes, more progress pics please.

www.streetrod.com.au

The Beast Runs>http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...0871&showall=1
Sheddwellers>http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...0063&showall=1
The International> http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32307&showall=1

"V8's are Great, But Six inlines Just Fine" - CUMMINS Advertising.
HOTFR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #12
Gentle_Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin54 View Post
It's going to look good. I wish I had that black dirt you have also. All we have is clay that is hard as a rock.

Just out of curiosity, but why the bastard size at 25'? I was always taught that it was easier and less wasteful to make any building or remodeling on an even number. 24', 26', and so on. Was it the square footage size allowed that got you?

Looking forward to the build though. I'm hoping I can get a bumpout on mine before it gets cold, but I'll be pushing it. That damn cold weather is right around the corner. Hopefully you can beat it with your build. At least to the point that you can work inside with some heat.
Thanks for your comments. Yeah we have had a lot of offers to take that soil off our hands, haha.

It caused a lot of grief to go with the 25' width, but yes it was a square footage limitation that caused me to go with that size. My ideal size was 26' wide and 28' deep. Everyone told me to just build it the size I wanted and that the inspector likely wouldn't even notice. Sure enough, the building inspector showed up the day we poured the pad and he didn't even take his hands out of his pockets, let alone measure. Ah well, its done now.

Its been stupid hot this entire build, today had to have been the hottest by far, it was 37 Celcius or 98 Fahrenheit with the humidex. We are making good progress so far, hopefully be done long before any cold weather hits.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #13
Gentle_Ben

Well I lucked out and found enough people to help raise the front and rear walls today. If my rafters had come in time we would have the roof on tomorrow, but instead that will have to wait until Monday now.

We got the walls up just in time, and then we got hammered with a torrential thunder storm with powerful winds. Other than the pool of water everything held up well.

Two building inspectors showed up today, I guess they received a complaint about the height of the garage. We showed them the plans that had already been approved and we were following them exactly so they said we were fine. We aren't even building this to the maximum height allowed!

Last edited by Gentle_Ben; 06-01-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #14
Gentle_Ben

Nothing too big happened today, it was hot so we buttoned up some small stuff and just worked out our plans for lighting and logistics of trenching in power and other lines to the garage from the house.

Finished sheathing.

Recycled our electrical panel from the house when we upgraded to 200amp service last year.

Open sky for now, should be rafters up there Monday afternoon hopefully.

Wedge anchors installed, pex piping trimmed.

Last edited by Gentle_Ben; 06-01-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #15
Gentle_Ben

Trusses arrived on site today. Of course they are the wrong pitch. I had custom ordered a certain pitch to comply with my height restriction and it looks like the manufacturer just did whatever the hell they wanted.

Luckily we had designed the garage to be slightly lower than the maximum height allowed, so with the trusses being taller than what I ordered, we are basically sitting bang on with whats allowed for height with the sheathing on, and we will be a 1/4 inch over the limit with the shingles on.

If the inspectors aren't happy over a 1/4 inch then I don't know what I'll do, haha.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #16
ky-mike

Are your walls framed with 2x4 or 2x6 lumber? My builder told me that for 12' walls, I needed 2x6, which increased the materials cost quite a bit.
ky-mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #17
shocwav3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky-mike View Post
Are your walls framed with 2x4 or 2x6 lumber? My builder told me that for 12' walls, I needed 2x6, which increased the materials cost quite a bit.
Walls look to be 2x6
shocwav3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #18
Gentle_Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky-mike View Post
Walls are 2x6, not for strength but for insulation reasons. With our climate here 2x6 just makes sense for a heated garage.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #19
Gentle_Ben

Trusses arriving on a rainy (but hot and muggy) day.

Last edited by Gentle_Ben; 06-01-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #20
1/2 Cup
Super Moderator

Another mile stone.
1/2 Cup is offline   Reply With Quote