Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-24-2008, 06:52 PM   #1
TxDoc

Question Who Actually Manufacturers This Item(s)

If you can provide a link to some documentation, that would be great. I see some threads about tools sources that have directly contradicting info and no final resolution.

Also, what accounts for the difference in price? If there is a link to that info, please post that, too. I cannot find anything in black and white.

Someone posted about SO badged nail guns that were not SO, but made by AllTrade who turned out to be an authorized retail licensee. Does someone manufacture this item and get paid by SO, Craftsmant, and A&E Incorporated to put their name on it?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...torer&sLevel=0

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....&group_ID=1148

http://www.aeincorporated.com/Kastar...Rpc3BsYXk9MTA=

Thanks for the help!

TxDoc's Pics
TxDoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
Merkava_4
Banned

Default Re: Who Actually Manufacturers This Item(s)

Kastar manufactures that thread restorer kit; I thought we finalized that.
Merkava_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-24-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
eschoendorff
Director of Bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava_4 View Post
Kastar manufactures that thread restorer kit; I thought we finalized that.
We did. In more than one thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose-LandTran View Post
Why bother? Natural selection will take care of them. If it doesn't, a 12-gauge can take care of the unnatural selection...
eschoendorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:20 PM   #4
Fedwrench
Alliance Member

Kastar makes the thread restorer set. I'm not sure how I could prove that though online. I've only seen the actual supplier information for tool truck brands listed in the PTEN special brand issues, in press releases, and ads. They also have displays at the tool truck brand dealer fairs or conventions. As for the price difference, Kastar lists their suggested retail price, as does Snap on. Sears has a more realistic price that is in line with other online vendors. keep in mind that the level of service varies. Snap on is truck to door and warranties each piece. Craftsman is ordered and taps and dies aren't warrantied.
There could be a licensing agreement for each brand putting its name on Kastar's item. Then again, Kastar could make their money by selling each brand the perpackaged set with their name on it ready for them to distribute it to their network of dealers.
I don't think you will really find alot if specific information about the rebadging of items other than through comparative shopping. After all, there are some sinificant price savings to be had in exchange for reduced service.