Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
fwillison

Default Advice on Attic trusses and building height

I'm building a 44x60 ft shop for auto restoration, but I want the building to be versatile for me as well as any future buyer with differing needs.

I'll be spanning the 44 ft width with engineered trusses. The walls will be framed 2x6 stud walls on footings.

I'm conflicted on the building height and the use of attic trusses.

I'm thinking I should use attic trusses. With a 6.5 roof pitch I can get a 14 ft wide room spanning the entire 60 ft length. The trusses run about $250 each and I'll need 31 trusses. 31 regular trusses would probably save me $3000-$3500, but a 14x60 room for $3500 seems to be a bargain.
Any downside?

With regard to building height, I use a max jax and will probably purchase a 4 post storage lift. My cars are mostly small, a couple 60s vettes, a couple LBCs, a VW beetle, etc. (I'm eclectic). The tallest is only about 5 ft high, not counting my pickup. So I was thinking 12.5 feet should be fine for me (12 ft studs, with one extra bottom plate, i.e. two bottom and two top plates for extra 6 inches).

However, others have advised going with 14 ft walls because someone might want to put an RV in or a boat on a trailer. I don't want something too towering, though.

Please advise on
Attic trusses and
building height

thanks
Fred
Tulsa
fwillison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
Zippercat

Default Re: Advice on Attic trusses and building height

If the extra couple feet won't kill your budget, go for the 14 ft. You can always install a drop ceiling if you don't like the extra headroom.....but you --or your buyer--can never (practically) make it higher.
Zippercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)