Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > Fabrication & Techniques

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
ClayW

Default Post Your Drywall Tips Here

Post your drywall tips here.

I imagine that plenty of guys will eventually tackle some drywall, at least for a small repair or two in their garage or elsewhere. On some level, we all end up reinventing the wheel, so it might be nice to have a thread with some tips.

For beginners (like me), this is a pretty good DIY video: http://www.homedepot.ca/know-how/vid...nd-mud-drywall

I am in the process of doing my first major drywalling effort: a basement renovation. As one might expect, I am doing a ton of sanding, because I suck at drywalling. So, my contributions are as follows:

1. Take your time to ensure that you frame the walls and hang the drywall flush with adjacent pieces. You'll save yourself a tone of time finishing.

2. Make damn sure that your joint compound is completely dry before sanding. If your joint compound is too thick (because you're a first-timer like me), you should wait a day or two, just to be safe.

3. Buy one of these drywall sanders with the vacuum attachment. It may sound stupid, but drywall dust gets everywhere without one. Of course, you're going to want to get a decent filter for your shop-vac, too.

Add your advice below for us novices.

Last edited by ClayW; 10-23-2013 at 01:13 PM.
ClayW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
pacecar

Default Re: Post Your Drywall Tips Here

I gotta guy that's good and very affordable

after i spent a couple days doing a room, and then watched his guys go, for the money its cheaper than my time

My advice is to get a good 12 inch trowel and a 4 inch for taping, Thin coats

its a lot like body work, I can figure it out and get it done, but if its affordable sometimes its nice to have somebody that can get it done quickly

then I don't have deal with the dust either!!!

edit: also, I prefer the paper tape

Last edited by pacecar; 10-04-2013 at 08:19 AM.
pacecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
Steevo

Best tip is to sub out drywall work.

Carpe Maņana
(The official motto of Procrastinators Anonymous)

My Workbench Build Thread

My Idaho Shop Build Thread

My Shop Photo Gallery

Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
IHI
Banned

If you chose to use premixed bucket or boxed mud...you never..I repeat never ever use it straight from the bucket...you always put some in your pan and add a tiny bit of water to thin it down to a mayonase consistencey. Why do novice mudder sand so much? Cuz they use the stuff without thinning it down and it goes on thicker than it should.

Want to go from fresh drywall no mud or tape in the a.m. and have it taped textured and primed by 2pm....hot mud (and experience)

Learn to hold your knife right and use thin flexible blades...along with thin consistencey mud. You mud your joint and then put pressure on outside edge of knife blade on the unmudded wall and drag it over the freshly mudded edge...this knocks down that high edge and feathers it in.

Apply thin bedding coat and knock down clumps before they set up. Let first coat dry and don't sand....use your knife to cut/knock off clumpy spots and ridges...then apply second coat of mud. We never sanded a thing until the last coat and that was only to feather areas in.

You'll know if you got it when the only reason you sand at all is to feather the edge and blend them into the taped seam.
IHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
steel 35

Easy fix for small cracks that keep coming back; wallpaper seam repair adhesive, it works very well.
steel 35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
InPrimer

As stated, spread on thin coats, the biggest and most frustrating thing is a glob coat that has to be sanded... that's when the trouble starts......I've done countless sq ft of drywall, some new, some repairs. It's been my experience that after "it's ready" I walk into a room with a bare light bulb, It shows all the imperfections and shadows unseen before, at that point I touch the "flaws" and give it a coat of primer.
InPrimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
never enuf time

Always keep tools & mud clean. Disgard any mud with clumps, On my last coat, knife the joint , then spray it lightly with spray bottle, & knife one more time.
never enuf time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
zporta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevo View Post
Same thing I was thinking. The only thing I hate more then mudding drywall is sanding it
zporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #9
IHI
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zporta View Post
Same thing I was thinking. The only thing I hate more then mudding drywall is sanding it
I hated it to until I learned how to mud efficiently, application is everything. For an example, you shouldn't spend more than an hour, if that, sanding a 24x24 garage-walls and ceilings....unless your going for a level 5 finish, which is basically the riddler award to cars fit and finish since a perfectly smooth wall takes hours of work to be perfect, and the people that pay for perfection, demand it...hence the serious upcharge to deliver it

Want to eliminate cracking in corners, or help thwart them 90% better...hot mud for bedding coat, hot mud for skim coat, then feather anything afterwards with a lightweight premixed compound that's wetted down to smooth consistencey. Hot mud dries through chemical reaction, like concrete, and does not shrink like premixed joint compound does, and is much much stronger...but believe me, you don't want to have to sand this stuff anymore than you would ever have too..definitely not a product for newbies/guys that suck at mudding.
IHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #10
Capt J.D.

For small repairs I don't sand. I use various porous sponges, from very soft to very stiff. NO dust. Actually I have done a complete room like that and yes, it does take a little longer.

Last edited by Capt J.D.; 10-04-2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Capt J.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #11
pearltsi

Guys around here charged about $300-400 for mudding/taping/sanding on a 12x12 room with ceiling. Best money ever spent.
pearltsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #12
WQ59B

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHI View Post
If you chose to use premixed bucket or boxed mud...you never..I repeat never ever use it straight from the bucket...you always put some in your pan and add a tiny bit of water to thin it down to a mayonase consistencey. Why do novice mudder sand so much? Cuz they use the stuff without thinning it down and it goes on thicker than it should.
Not my observation. It's all in the application. Sure, some straight-from-the-bucket mixes are dryer than others, but the 'novice sands so much' based on his knifework rather than mildly-thinned (not that I'm calling that wrong) spackle. I primarily mix/work it in the tray rather than the bucket, tho I do both.

Quote:
You'll know if you got it when the only reason you sand at all is to feather the edge and blend them into the taped seam.
Agreed. I use a 6-in knife for everything and all I sand are the edges on the last coat.

I wouldn't even consider this a tip, because IMO it's not even an option, but never use drywall NAILS. Everybody has at least a can of them sitting around, but they pop over time and are the bane of drywall finishers. Throw 'em out: SCREWS ONLY.
Keep the top of the spackle in the pail smoothed over when done- it exposes less material to drying than deep knife gouges.
If you have larger gaps between sheets, like 1/4-in, push a 'backer coat' of spackle in and let it dry before you tape it. Large gaps allow the tape to 'pucker' sometimes.
WQ59B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #13
66 GMC Truckin

www.drywallschool.com really helped me out a lot when I was learning how to mud. The other thing that helped the most was buying the right tools for the job. Don't buy cheap plastic trowels, buy the nice 10" and 12" metal drywall trowels to feather your tape joints out nicely. Small knife for use over screws and for first coat of tape mud only.
66 GMC Truckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #14
1953mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevo View Post
This. I've done a lot of it over the years, and I can do nice work, but at my age, I'm done. Same for flat work. Mike
1953mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:27 AM   #15
Beaumont67

I use:
- "Durabond 90" non-sanding on first 1 or 2 coats & fiberglass mess tape, rather than paper seam tape
- besides the extra wide trowel and a 90 degree corner trowel, I have the 4 piece stainless steel puddy knife set from Harbor Freight (cost $5.99/set)...all my mud applicators are s/s...makes cleanup easy & drywall tools never rust
- on a slight structural crack in plaster or drywall, I "V" the crack out and coat it first with PL adhesive
- add a tiny bit of string/snap line chalk to the last batch of mud, to easily identify the touch up/small repair spots once dried, that need final sand...colored mud is easy to see afterwards
- if I am fixing a hole in the wall (like from a door handle)...first I drywall screw plywood behind the hole...useless filling it with paper backing or spray foam
- check bottom wall corners with a metal carpenter square for trueness, otherwise the baseboard trim may not fit properly after painting...never want to loose the exact 90 degree corners, near the floor
- use a 2 ft. metal carpenter square (flat edge) to check mud leveling on wall seams
- low & high spots get market with a lead pencil, and fixed...an old 14" long auto body lead file works perfect to easily correct high spots, with little or no dust created, shaving mud off the wall, nice & flat

^^^^ Tips for a level 5 mud job.
- above technique is the skill set I recently trained my reno hired man with

Last edited by Beaumont67; 10-05-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Beaumont67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #16
kbs2244

Two things I won’t do.
Cement work and drywall.

In my mind it is as much an art as a science.
And I respect the art part.
There is a reason why cement guys sit around after a pour waiting for the “right time.”

Some of those guys I wouldn’t trust to replace the spark plug on a lawnmower.
But, if they have earned it, I will walk away, trusting them doing a multi $K job.

If you want to learn how to do it, more power to you.
Give me your phone number, I may call you.
kbs2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #17
BD1

Hang it and get a pro to do the tapping . Money well spent .
BD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #18
Jason280

Yes, hire someone else to do it...I hate anything drywall related!
Jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #19
theknurl

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl

Quote:

Want to go from fresh drywall no mud or tape in the a.m. and have it taped textured and primed by 2pm....hot mud (and experience)

Learn to hold your knife right and use thin flexible blades...along with thin consistencey mud. You mud your joint and then put pressure on outside edge of knife blade on the unmudded wall and drag it over the freshly mudded edge...this knocks down that high edge and feathers it in.

Apply thin bedding coat and knock down clumps before they set up. Let first coat dry and don't sand....use your knife to cut/knock off clumpy spots and ridges...then apply second coat of mud. We never sanded a thing until the last coat and that was only to feather areas in.

Quote:
I hated it to until I learned how to mud efficiently, application is everything. For an example, you shouldn't spend more than an hour, if that, sanding a 24x24 garage-walls and ceilings....unless your going for a level 5 finish, which is basically the riddler award to cars fit and finish since a perfectly smooth wall takes hours of work to be perfect, and the people that pay for perfection, demand it...hence the serious upcharge to deliver it

Want to eliminate cracking in corners, or help thwart them 90% better...hot mud for bedding coat, hot mud for skim coat, then feather anything afterwards with a lightweight premixed compound that's wetted down to smooth consistencey. Hot mud dries through chemical reaction, like concrete, and does not shrink like premixed joint compound does, and is much much stronger...but believe me, you don't want to have to sand this stuff anymore than you would ever have too..definitely not a product for newbies/guys that suck at mudding.
+ 1,000 listen to the man

you're sanding a bunch? you put too much mud on......its way faster to put a 2nd coat on than sand a thick one off

Last edited by theknurl; 10-07-2013 at 07:38 PM.
theknurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #20
ducksface
Alliance Member

Pre-bow your sheets so they lay absolutely flat in the center of the sheet. Lay them across a 4x4 for a couple of days.

Look it up.

Few screws.
Much adhesive

Last edited by ducksface; 10-07-2013 at 08:40 PM.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote