Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-18-2005, 07:13 PM   #1
ruby76

Location: Fairview Hts, Illinois - outside Saint Louis Missouri
Default Kerosene vs propane torpedo htr

Pro's and Cons for a propane torpedo heater vs a kersone model. I have a 16x22 shop so I wouldn't need it to run very long before It comes up to temp and then I'd shut it off.
ruby76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 07:24 PM   #2
fireman

Kerosene models stink. Propane is oderless. Make sure you have a fresh air source (open window/door) to avoid CO poisoning.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-18-2005, 07:26 PM   #3
ruby76

Good point, I had read about leaving a fresh air source. I guess that could be closed though once it is shut off though right?
Old 12-18-2005, 07:27 PM   #4
Quadlinear

Send a message via MSN to Quadlinear Send a message via Yahoo to Quadlinear

Second the above!!!! Kerosene is also more $ than diesel fuel and getting harder to find.
Quadlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 09:36 PM   #5
MXtras

I agree with the consensus so far - propane.

Scott
MXtras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 07:36 AM   #6
ruby76

Thanks guys. I'll start researching different propane models.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:29 AM   #7
rick

I have used both kinds propane is the best by far!
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:36 AM   #8
krooser

An oil burner is OK IF you get free jet fuel from your local Air National Guard reservist like I used to....otherwise get propane...

One way to quiet down the unit is to put the heater OUTSIDE. My buddy did this by cutting a piece of plywood the dimensions of his service door...he then cut a round opening into the plywood the size of the heater snout...then stick the heater nose into the hole and fire it up...made a huge difference in the noise level and when he was done in the shop he simply pulled out the plywood and shut the door.
krooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:49 AM   #9
ruby76

would that negate the need for a fresh air intake? Or is the fresh air for exhaust?
Old 12-19-2005, 11:31 AM   #10
DaveL.

Default go with a vented heater

Personally I'd go the extra mile and mount a vented heater. I used a propane torpedo for many years at my old place. I could only take it for about 2 hours. I kept windows open so I wouldn't suffocate. The fumes would irritate my lungs and give me a bad headache. Mount a little Hotdawg HD30 http://www.gas-space-heater.com/modine-hot-dawg.html or any other vented heater. In the long run you'll be much happier. Just my opinion...

Dave
DaveL. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:58 PM   #11
fireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL.
. The fumes would irritate my lungs and give me a bad headache.

Dave,
A headache is the first sign of CO poisoning. followed by fatigue, shortness of breath (your irritated lungs), nausea and dizziness. Glad you're okay and got rid of that heater. Jim
Old 12-19-2005, 02:01 PM   #12
DaveL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman
Dave,
A headache is the first sign of CO poisoning. followed by fatigue, shortness of breath (your irritated lungs), nausea and dizziness. Glad you're okay and got rid of that heater. Jim

Yep.I heard that Jim,thanks.

Dave
DaveL. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 02:20 PM   #13
MXtras

Another sign is drowsiness or confusion. My brother in law died from this 8 years ago. They say he just fell asleep and never woke up in his garage.

Get the hell out of the space as soon as you start feeling a little sleepy or groggy. Maintain a fresh air supply no matter how cold it is outside. This is serious business as all of you know, but until you loose someone close to you in a manner that you could go, too - it may never sink in.

Scott
MXtras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 03:20 PM   #14
ruby76

Thank you for your opinion on the vented heater. I'd love to, but the garage is detached and has no gas line run to it. I do have electric though. Any good electric heater options out there? Preferable forced air and not radiant etc. I'm leaning towards the torpedo heater also because it is portable. Im planning on buying a house to refurbish and the torpedo could double as a heater in the "work" house too.

I havn't bought anything yet though, so I'm still thinking about it.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:23 PM   #15
krooser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby76
would that negate the need for a fresh air intake? Or is the fresh air for exhaust?
Well it does provide fresh air to the heater and reduces the noise...it also helps avoid "bad air" since you aren't using inside air for combustion...An old neighbor of mine went one step further and actually installed a "register" in the garage sidewall...he connected the torpedo to a large heater duct and it blew right into the garage...he also put the heater under a little lean-to to keep it out of the weather...that and a thermostat and he had a pretty good set-up..
krooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 06:15 PM   #16
fireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooser
Well it does provide fresh air to the heater and reduces the noise...it also helps avoid "bad air" since you aren't using inside air for combustion..
The problem is that it still exhausts into the garage and in that exhaust is not only the hot air but water vapor and CARBON MONOXIDE. The only safe combustion type heater is one that vents the combustion products to the outside.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:41 AM   #17
RonBou
Yet another Garage Guy!

Quote:
Thank you for your opinion on the vented heater. I'd love to, but the garage is detached and has no gas line run to it.
My detached garage is 80 feet from the house. I had a 100 gallon propane tank installed with my vented heater (Modine Hot Dawg).
Old 12-20-2005, 12:30 PM   #18
ChucksCrib

I'm using a KeroWorld Kerosene heater I picked up at a tag sale for 5 bucks.. It was one year old(great shape) I do leave on of my 8x9 overhead doors open about a foot when I run it. My garage is usually about 40 degrees unheated up here in CT. I turn the kerosene heater on until the garge (28x28x11)reaches about 55 degrees. Thats plenty warm for me.

I will not however shut the unit off in the garage. It stinks to high heaven when I shut it off so what I do is carry it outside and shut it off. Otherwise I don't notice any fumes when I'm in there.
ChucksCrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 01:10 PM   #19
ruby76

Thanks for the replies everyone. I made the jump last night and ordered a small (35,000 BTU) Mr Heater propane torpedo. It arrives in a week. It was an Internet only, sale with no shipping costs. I went with the propane b/c of the comments in the posts above. The garage has good ventilation and I'll keep the window open when I use it. It is a small enough garage that I should be able to run it for a couple of minutes then shut it off, so that should help with fumes.

THanks again guys!

Jeremy
Old 12-20-2005, 01:11 PM   #20
ruby76

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBou
My detached garage is 80 feet from the house. I had a 100 gallon propane tank installed with my vented heater (Modine Hot Dawg).

That was probably a very good idea. I may look into that at a later date. Then again, this isn't going to be my long term house/shop so I'll keep that in mind for the next one