Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-24-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
Dick in Wisconsin

Default Need gas furnace for the house

Furnace man here today.

The original Tempstar is 20 years old. Needs a new secondary heat exchanger, which is covered under warranty. "warranty fee" and labor will run $200 to $225.

Or ... I can get a new Bryant NG furnace. Here are the recommended options:

Bryant (925T): 80,000BTU, 2 stage, 95% eff, ECM motor, $2,727.

Bryant (986T): 80,000BTU, 2 stage, 96% eff, variable spd motor, $3,227.

I'm not convinced the variable speed motor is worth $500 to me.

What does the GJF think of Bryant?

What does the GJF think about spending the extra $$$$ for the variable speed motor?

Or should I just spend $225 putting the secondary heat exchanger in and call it a day?

Thanks!
20x22 attached garage (Sears opener w/40w lite, one 75w ceiling lite on pull chain, no heat no running water no TV no AC, one GFCI outlet on main bath circuit in a lousy location), added 8 outlet (4 in each location w/GFCI), 10x20 detached garage (one outlet in wrong location & 75w ceiling light on pull chain), looking to build bigger garage.
#90 Heilig-Meyers Ford Taurus-1996 Suburban 1500-24' enclosed trailer-lots of tools
Wears sound warnings like a badge of honor
Dick in Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:17 AM   #2
cowboyjosh

Default Re: Need gas furnace for the house

Bryant is a Carrier. They are alright, but far and away better then Temstar IMO. I had a home with Temstar and it was nothing but junk. Heres the kicker; Temstar is now owned by United Technologies, which also owns CARRIER and BRYANT. I still consider Temstar an ICP product and would go with the Bryant with the ECM motor; you'll love it. After 20 years, you deserve a new furnace.
cowboyjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-25-2013, 01:58 AM   #3
turboneon

Get whatever reputable brand your furnace company services and can get parts for immediately (nothing worse than having no heat in the middle of winter and have to wait to get a part).

I had my old furnace replaced with a Lennox 95% efficient model with the variable speed motor and it's very nice. However, I think i would have been fine with the non-variable speed motor 2 stage version and having the extra $500 in my pocket.

As far as brands, it seems Lennox and Trane were rated very good, but that is like saying ALL Chevys or Fords are good cars (obviously there are crappy ones). I would google search the specific brand and model you are looking at to get reviews. I did a ton of research on this and it basically comes down to the quality of installation matters more than the brand.

More tips:
Get the thicker (4"+) furnace filter cabinet installed with it. They filter the air better without putting additional strain on the furnace.

Get a decent humidifier, they work wonders in the brutal winters we get.

My furnace is in a basement, I had the installer put my furnace up on some concrete blocks to raise it about 4" off the ground. I am not kidding, the same day my furnace was installed we had the most rain I've ever seen and my basement almost flooded. At least I have a little buffer if water does end up there.
turboneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #4
mygarageone

He sure is cheap with his furnace installs , any how . I would do some research on Rheem . They have the highest industry rating and have for several yrs now.
They carry a full 10 yr warranty on everything and a life time on heat exchanger.
They were also rated the best with consumers reports.

I service carrier products around here all the time , Bryant especially . personally I would stay away from them.

Either way stay with the 2 stage burner and ECM motor.

Last edited by mygarageone; 10-25-2013 at 06:29 AM.
mygarageone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #5
Rockhead261

I wholeheartedly agree that a 20-year old furnace owes you nothing. I always get a kick at how some people lease new $30K cars every 3-4 years but won't spend $3K to heat the house their families live in.
Rockhead261 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
mygarageone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead261 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree that a 20-year old furnace owes you nothing. I always get a kick at how some people lease new $30K cars every 3-4 years but won't spend $3K to heat the house their families live in.
I just had a discussion about that , it's called perceived value. They can show off there car and talk about it and drive it around but there heating equipment just sits there quietly doing it job , day in and day out . Nothing exciting about that , until it breaks down. Then they get excited..
mygarageone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
Dick in Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboneon View Post
Get whatever reputable brand your furnace company services and can get parts for immediately (nothing worse than having no heat in the middle of winter and have to wait to get a part).
This guy has been very, very fair with me. I've had him over 2x or 3x in the 8 years we've been here. One time was A/C when it was 92 degree. When I called him, he had a guy 2 miles (we live in the country) away finishing a job. Stopped over, house was locked, was able to replace starter on the compressor motor outside (???). Left a very reasonable bill. Could have told me the compressor needed to be replaced! At 18 years I would have believed him.

Quote:
I had my old furnace replaced with a Lennox 95% efficient model with the variable speed motor and it's very nice. However, I think i would have been fine with the non-variable speed motor 2 stage version and having the extra $500 in my pocket.
I think the one I'm serious about has a 2 spd ECM motor. I scratched head over the value of the variable speed fan for $500 more.

Quote:
More tips:
Get the thicker (4"+) furnace filter cabinet installed with it. They filter the air better without putting additional strain on the furnace.
That is a great recommendation. We have a kind of fancy electric air filter that no longer works (I didn't realize it). Furnace guy tested it and said it wasn't working; expensive to fix, of questionable value. So he pulled the two 4" thick "dust catchers out" and put in a 4" filter. So I have that already.

Quote:
My furnace is in a basement, I had the installer put my furnace up on some concrete blocks to raise it about 4" off the ground. I am not kidding, the same day my furnace was installed we had the most rain I've ever seen and my basement almost flooded. At least I have a little buffer if water does end up there.
I've thought about this with two solutions. First is to put the furnace and water heater "up on blocks" to get them off the basement floor. Second is to put them and the water softner in a "pit" in the basement floor, 3" to 4" down with a floor drain so that if they over flow the basement isn't flooded. Now you have me thinking the pit to contain the water if an overfloor, but then raise the mechanicals 8" from the floor of the pit to get them above the basement floor in case of a flood!

Thanks for the suggestions and comments.
20x22 attached garage (Sears opener w/40w lite, one 75w ceiling lite on pull chain, no heat no running water no TV no AC, one GFCI outlet on main bath circuit in a lousy location), added 8 outlet (4 in each location w/GFCI), 10x20 detached garage (one outlet in wrong location & 75w ceiling light on pull chain), looking to build bigger garage.
#90 Heilig-Meyers Ford Taurus-1996 Suburban 1500-24' enclosed trailer-lots of tools
Old 10-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
Dick in Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead261 View Post
Your comments are so true. Although I've never owned a new car (except for the one I bought my former wife a month after we split using a bunch of GM rebates and GM MasterCard rewards points) ... I've "been there, done that" on race cars, race engines, trailer, Suburban to haul the race car, and now a 1000sf shop will start construction shortly!