Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
OverkillYJ

Default 170T All Pro Torpedo heater Problems

So it looks like I got screwed on Craigslist. I have been dealing on there for years, and just now seem to have gotten my first bad deal, but I think with some help I can fix it. I bought a 170T All Pro Torpedo heater for $200. I started it up before buying it and it ran fine. So I got it home and it cut off after less than 5 minutes of running. SO I started it again and it ran for an even shorter time and died. The fuel cap with the gauge says empty, but it has about an inch of kerosene across the bottom of the tank, I figure 1-1.5 gallons. I do not know too much about these. I am guessing he tried to fix it because once I started looking at things closer I noticed that the control panel has hairline cracks in it from the screws being overtightened, so he obviously took it apart before. According to him it was hardly used blah blah blah, used 1-2 times and sat outside for a long time. I plan on emptying the tank tomorrow and filling with clean fuel. If that doesnt fix it I am going to check the fuel line and air filter. What else should I check? A quick Google search said the control board is good since it is lighting. I saw these heaters going used for a min of $275, so I figure if I could fix it I will be fine.

Also, the ventilation? I have a 25X25ft garage with 15ft ceilings. I also have a 3ft exhaust fan in what I think is called the gable of the roof. I can hear air come in when I turn on the exhaust fan through little spaced around the garage door and things. Also if I open the regular door a strong breeze comes in with the exhaust fan running. How much air flow do I need for this thing to be safe? I guess I should have thought of that before buying it, but I know people use these in garages all the time and just assumed mine was fine to do the same in. I would like to avoid killing myself with carbon monoxide if possible though. Should I get a detector or anything?
OverkillYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
OverkillYJ

Default Re: 170T All Pro Torpedo heater Problems

I should also mention, I just drained it this morning and this is what the fuel looked like. Not sure if that is normal or not. It is pretty damn orange.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131027_113001_resized.jpg (136.5 KB, 24 views)
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
Elvenhome21

first thing i would do is take a blow gun and blow out all the dust off everything inside, including filter and fuel/air lines. Next fill it with pure kerosene or diesel and try running it. Some brands are a little picky with what fuel you use in certain temps. if it dont fix it take the nozzle off and clean it.

Then check the ignitor, theres normally 2/3 style arc and glow plug. If its a glow plug style make sure its not cracked or gunked up. If its the spark plug or 2 finger style then you might have a coil problem.
Elvenhome21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
mygarageone

Do not use diesel , only kerosene . One of the main problem you have with these things is when ever you move them everything in the tank gets stirred up . If it ran good when you first bought it , you didn't get screwed.
You most likely have a plugged nozzle also and that requires removal and replacement , blowing air through it most times doesn't do a bit of good.
The reason it shuts of is because that's the safety , if it doesn't see a good flame it will shut down. By good flame I don't mean just a flame but a good solid flame.
mygarageone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
OverkillYJ

Alright, I put 5 gallons of Kerosene in it after draining it. It runs fine now, but it does have a pretty strong smell, and my brother and I were getting light headaches after a little while so I turned it off. It did have the occasional spark coming out of it while running. I heard there was a way to adjust these to make sure they are burning properly. Any idea how I should do that?
Old 10-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
mygarageone

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverkillYJ View Post
Alright, I put 5 gallons of Kerosene in it after draining it. It runs fine now, but it does have a pretty strong smell, and my brother and I were getting light headaches after a little while so I turned it off. It did have the occasional spark coming out of it while running. I heard there was a way to adjust these to make sure they are burning properly. Any idea how I should do that?
The reason mostly you are getting that smell is the nozzle is not spraying properly , dirt . Best beat new nozzle. You'll have to remove the nozzle and get a new one.
mygarageone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
Elvenhome21

there is a air bleed screw on the back of the heater. youll feel air shooting out of it. I normally will get the heater up to full temp then turn the screw in till the flames are coming around the cone about a inch then however much you turn the screw to make the flames not come around the cone turn it that much farther.

Ex: Flames comes around cone, it take 1/4 turn for the flames to stop coming around cone, turn screw another 1/4 so flames arent hitting the inside of the cone for complete combustion.
Elvenhome21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
OverkillYJ

Do either of those things cause higher carbon monoxide?
Old 10-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
OverkillYJ

Also, I have been looking all over for a nozzle. I cant find one online anywhere. I did use a fuel pressure gauge to check the PSI for the heater today. It was at 7, I set it to 6 where it says on the side of the unit it is supposed to be. I also washed the air filter. Since I have a slight smell still and I know the heater is about 7 years old from the date on it I figured I would replace the nozzle, IF I can find one. Anyone have a trustworthy source? I only see up to a 165 unit for all pros on the sites I have been on.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:40 PM   #10
Charles (in GA)

Not sure if that heater was made by DESA or Master, but http://www.reddyparts.com/ is a good source of information on PROPERLY adjusting them and parts for them.

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #11
OverkillYJ

Thanks. Yeah I found their site last night and emailed them. Looks like they got back to me this morning. I just need to double check what version of the 170T I have before ordering. They dont have it listed on thier site though.

As far as adjusting these, I did find out that is the PROPER way to adjust them. That is assuming there is nothing else in play that could screw with the fuel pressure. Took me forever to find a low pressure fuel gauge without ordering one online. On the side of the unit it tells you exactly where the pressure should be.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #12
dbobb12

Hello gentlemen and ladies. I just picked up an All Pro 170t heater from Craigslist also for $80.00 and it did not work. I changed the ignitor, control board, and cleaned it. The issue that I am having is that when I turn on the switch the fan cycles for three times and the fuel is spraying but the ignitor does not glow. Then I get the trouble code that the ignitor red flashing. Any thoughts?
dbobb12 is offline   Reply With Quote