Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #1
kartracer23

Default Check-A-Bolt?

Does anyone have one of these? It's like the display you see at hardware stores with different size bolts / nuts that are marked so you can match things up. I was at Rural King this morning and saw them in the hardware aisle. They had both standard & metric and were $38 / ea. I didn't count the number of bolts / nuts, but I'm guessing maybe 15 sizes of each?
I couldn't find anything on-line about them, but thought it might be a useful piece of equipment for trying to match things up?
kartracer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:23 PM   #2
nissan_crawler

Default Re: Check-A-Bolt?

I just use thread gauges and a caliper.

"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject. " John Lott

"Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater." Peter Venetoklis
nissan_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-08-2008, 02:36 PM   #3
Danglerb

I use a plastic "card" about 4x8 inches that came with a nuts and bolts warehouse 20 years ago. I also now have the same in metric that cost about $2.

I am considering a tattoo on my arm with the common sizes of bolts so I can get the right size wrench on the first trip to the box. Maybe a steel ruler in my pocket would work better, but the damn HF doesn't have metric.
Danglerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:53 PM   #4
rsanter

I have a couple of different nut/bolt sizing guages and they are very helpfull to have.

$38 sounds like it too much unless it is a whole lot more elabotate than what I have.

I have the stainless steel and plastic ones that are like an index card with a bunch of holes (which works for bolts but not so much for nuts) and I have a different style for nuts and bolts that you can get at Lowes, HF, fastenall and others (even though I got mine as a promo (free)

bob
Old 09-08-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
kartracer23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsanter View Post
I have a couple of different nut/bolt sizing guages and they are very helpfull to have.

$38 sounds like it too much unless it is a whole lot more elabotate than what I have.

I have the stainless steel and plastic ones that are like an index card with a bunch of holes (which works for bolts but not so much for nuts) and I have a different style for nuts and bolts that you can get at Lowes, HF, fastenall and others (even though I got mine as a promo (free)

bob
This one is pretty elaborate. Maybe 18" long, 10 tall" on a piece of colored Lexan with a base like a table tent you see in restaurants. And it has actual bolts / nuts attached to it with the descriptions (including thread pitch) on each. There is a ruler along the top for length measurement. At first I thought they were just sitting there so you could test your stuff, then I realized they were for sale. It's a lot more elaborate than the ones they have in the hardware aisle @ Lowe's or HD. I've sold a lot of the plastic & metal gauges to my industrial customers (with their logo on it), but this is completely different.
On my kart, about half of the stuff is metric and half standard so it's a real PITA to figure out. Even the engine is half metric, half standard - you just have to remember which parts are which.
kartracer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #6
Merkava_4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglerb View Post
I am considering a tattoo on my arm with the common sizes of bolts so I can get the right size wrench on the first trip to the box.
LOL! At least you'd have a tattoo that was useful.
Merkava_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:58 PM   #7
peter_x

I use my tap and die set to find out what size bolts/nuts are.
peter_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:48 PM   #8
Elroy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan_crawler View Post

Now there is man with a wise statement. Elroy was servicing the brakes on a 1997 Mustangs and wanted to replace all the bleed valves. Discovered the front calipers used a 3/8"-24 screw and the back had 10mm x 1.0.

You talk about a bitch to clearly identify.

You wouldn't have a chance in hell identifying between these threads unless you used the "crawler" method.
Elroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:49 PM   #9
senlow

You guys don't wrench enough. A good mechanic should be able to identify size and thread pitch by eye. Yeah, I know that 5/16" and 8mm diameters only differ by a couple of thousandths. In case you can't see the difference in diameter, just look at the thread pitch. The pitches of M8 X 1.00 and M8 X 1.25 are much different than the pitches of 5/16-18 and 5/16-24. Seriously, after about 30 years of wrenching, (not all of them profesionally) I can't always identify fastener size without a tool. Hey, it's a good excuse to buy another tool. Like nissan_crawler, I prefer to use calipers and thread pitch gauges. I avoid using taps and dies for identification because dirty, rusty fasteners cause excessive wear on them. The Check-A Bolt would probably look cool displayed on your bench.
senlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:04 PM   #10
Elroy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by senlow View Post
You guys don't wrench enough.
Is that a fact. Man you're too good.

Just think, knowing how much Elroy bends a wrench just from reading a few Internet posts.

Elroy wishes he was that good.

Quote:
Seriously, after about 30 years of wrenching, (not all of them profesionally) I can't always identify fastener size without a tool.
Try telling a 3/8 SAE set screw from a 10 mm. Bet ya a beer you can't.

With out looking real close at the mic

Quote:
The Check-A Bolt would probably look cool displayed on your bench.
Actually it would look better in the trash can.

Elroy will take a set of wires and a pitch gauge any day. Piss on that "check a bolt" crap.

Last edited by Elroy; 09-08-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:11 PM   #11
Elroy
Banned

Hay "Senlow"

Try your 30 years of wrench bending experience by taking Elroy's little test:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22142

Careful now, read the questions very closely.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:19 PM   #12
Hades12

Make one, All the bolts and nuts you need are in the bins at the hardware store.
Hades12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:52 PM   #13
senlow

[QUOTE=Elroy;279547]Is that a fact. Man you're too good.

Just think, knowing how much Elroy bends a wrench just from reading a few Internet posts.

Elroy wishes he was that good.QUOTE]

No, That's not a fact. Senlow is full of sh.. tonight.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:11 PM   #14
Stephenw

Quote:
x2.

Usually I can determine standard or metric with a visual inspection or by application (what it came out of or what it needs to go into). Course or fine thread can also usually be determined by visual inspection.

If in doubt, I'll measure the major diameter with digital calipers. Next I determine pitch with a standard or metric thread pitch gauge.

I also stock (at home) a comprehensive assortment of standard and metric nuts and bolts. I'll sometimes do a test fit with a known size nut or bolt.
Stephenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:30 PM   #15
senlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
Hay "Senlow"

Try your 30 years of wrench bending experience by taking Elroy's little test:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22142

Careful now, read the questions very closely.
Shoot, I missed one - 14 out of 15. My Design I professor would be dissapointed. I learned more about fasteners in engineering than as a mechanic. That is a good test of fastener knowledge. I encourage others to take it.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:31 PM   #16
nissan_crawler

I got 13/15. I'm just a farm boy turned aircraft mechanic.

P.S. that is one tough sumbitch to read. I'm pretty sure I misread one, because I was sure it was the right answer.

"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject. " John Lott

"Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater." Peter Venetoklis
nissan_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:53 PM   #17
Jbullfrog
Alliance Member

I have the standard and metric version of what you are describing. I don't use it much, but my non mechanical wife and 6 year old nephew use them alot to sort loose nuts and bolts into the bolt bins at the shop.
Jbullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:11 AM   #18
Bolster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglerb View Post
I am considering a tattoo on my arm with the common sizes of bolts so I can get the right size wrench on the first trip to the box. ...
That is one of the best ideas I've ever read. Hold your arm to the bolt head, and grab exactly the right wrench every time. Right arm for SAE, left for Metric. Add rulers on both arms, maybe some conversion tables. Now that's a tat I would seriously consider.

There's also the possibility of a "if found, return to..." tat on one's butt, if one perhaps were to drink a little too much and need to be returned home.
Bolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:28 AM   #19
v8garage

Quote:
I got 13/15. I'm just a farm boy turned aircraft mechanic.

P.S. that is one tough sumbitch to read. I'm pretty sure I misread one, because I was sure it was the right answer.
I actually believe your score. I am somewhat skeptical about that senlow dude though. He likes to toot his own horn just a little too much.
v8garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #20
ToolGlutton
Banned

They are just irrelevant. Senlow could get all the questions wrong for the test but still means what he said about recognizing sizes of fasteners using his bare eyes. Practice makes perfection. With 30 years of experiences, Senlow impressed but not surprised me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8garage View Post
I actually believe your score. I am somewhat skeptical about that senlow dude though. He likes to toot his own horn just a little too much.
ToolGlutton is offline   Reply With Quote