Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > Garage Sale > ★★ Hot Deals ★★

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
trogo

Default Dewalt 204 Piece Mechanic's Tool Set at Sears

Today I picked up a Dewalt 204 Piece Mechanic's Tool Set for $159 at Sears. Ordered it online, and with SYWR points, it was $150. The website says $199, but after placing it in the cart, sometimes it will show different prices ($159, 169 and 179), depending on coupons or time of day. Can't figure out why the price changes.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00939204000P

I've been wanting this set for a while. Don't be fooled by piece count. This set Rocks.

Last edited by trogo; 11-04-2013 at 08:48 PM.
trogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
lightning02

Default Re: Dewalt 204 Piece Mechanic's Tool Set at Sears

Has anyone used there new handtool line? If so how are they?
lightning02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
trogo

There is a good review of this set on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1JOA6q0Ao0

I really like the 6-point sockets and quantity of deep well sockets, 3 extensions for each ratchet size, 3 spark plug sockets, and universal joints.

Only thing I see it's lacking is the quantity of wrenches. There are 6 wrenches in SAE and Metric and no 12mm wrench. Content list is located here:

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/hand-too...dwmt72165.aspx

Last edited by trogo; 11-04-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
Brownsfan

That looks like a pretty good set without a lot of filler to get the piece count up. Looks like it is pretty complete socket wise
Brownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #5
nicksnothereman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning02 View Post
Has anyone used there new handtool line? If so how are they?
They look pretty good (at least the ratchets do). I wouldn't be surprised if this is a similar (if not the same line) as the bostitch line they sell in walmart. They're owned by stanley so...yeah. I assume they are "stanley professional" lines (give or take) They kind of fubarred the reputation of that brand so they're using other brands. However, I think the quality is pretty good. Not sure if china or taiwan; probably taiwan on the upscale stuff.

I don't see too much of a problem with it except the warranty which isn't retail as far as I know. There was a guy who returned gearwrench tools to sears on here, I didn't know they honored those "3rd party" warranties. Not a fan of mail in warranties. You gonna spend 3 bucks to mail in a socket that costs a buck to replace? Nah.

I think most of these sets are probably made by the same manufacturer in taiwan (kabo? maybe not; they're know for geared combination wrenches) and they make excellent quality tools. I might be wrong but I doubt it looking at the fit & finish. I wonder who's making the walmart "ultra steel" ratcheting wrenches and thru sockets from taiwan...probably those guys and they ain't cheap! Not a whole lot of manufacturers would be able to produce for a chain like walmart for that price and consistency especially from taiwan...

It's a conspiracy! Your precious gearwrench wrenches are being sold by walmart for half the price without the warranty! .
nicksnothereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #6
NorthCountry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksnothereman View Post
They look pretty good (at least the ratchets do). I wouldn't be surprised if this is a similar (if not the same line) as the bostitch line they sell in walmart. They're owned by stanley so...yeah. I assume they are "stanley professional" lines (give or take) They kind of fubarred the reputation of that brand so they're using other brands. However, I think the quality is pretty good. Not sure if china or taiwan; probably taiwan on the upscale stuff.

I don't see too much of a problem with it except the warranty which isn't retail as far as I know. There was a guy who returned gearwrench tools to sears on here, I didn't know they honored those "3rd party" warranties. Not a fan of mail in warranties. You gonna spend 3 bucks to mail in a socket that costs a buck to replace? Nah.

I think most of these sets are probably made by the same manufacturer in taiwan (kabo? maybe not; they're know for geared combination wrenches) and they make excellent quality tools. I might be wrong but I doubt it looking at the fit & finish. I wonder who's making the walmart "ultra steel" ratcheting wrenches and thru sockets from taiwan...probably those guys and they ain't cheap! Not a whole lot of manufacturers would be able to produce for a chain like walmart for that price and consistency especially from taiwan...

It's a conspiracy! Your precious gearwrench wrenches are being sold by walmart for half the price without the warranty! .
I was that guy that convinces sears to warranty the gearwrench from what I hear napa does a retail warranty exchange on gearwrench

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
NorthCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #7
Super Sport
Alliance Member

My Sears will warranty GW that they have loose stock of, which is somewhat limited. They don't have any DeWalt open stock, so I doubt they will warranty any of that.
Super Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:30 PM   #8
nicksnothereman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCountry View Post
I was that guy that convinces sears to warranty the gearwrench from what I hear napa does a retail warranty exchange on gearwrench

Ah...I see.

So you're saying you got lucky.

Mail in warranties are final sale to me. Even if I break it I'm not mailing it in, I'll just buy something else. Sockets aren't exactly light weight in the sizes (over 1/4").

I think op did okay on this set for home use. You know...just try not to overstress anything and keep your hammer(s) out of the equation.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:38 PM   #9
NorthCountry
Banned

I might as well be a shamrock

NorthCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:40 PM   #10
Super Sport
Alliance Member

Quote:
Ah...I see.

Mail in warranties are final sale to me. Even if I break it I'm not mailing it in, I'll just buy something else. Sockets aren't exactly light weight in the sizes (over 1/4").

I think op did okay on this set for home use. You know...just try not to overstress anything and keep your hammer(s) out of the equation.
Most sockets will ship for under $3 USPS First Class. I'll bet you spend that much in gas driving to the store for a replacement...
Super Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:42 AM   #11
JasonCAT

"If any DEWALT Mechanics Tool ever fails, DEWALT will replace it. Tools covered by the warranty include: wrenches, sockets, ratchets and drive accessories. Tools which have been improperly used, abused or altered are not covered under policy. Proof of purchase is required. Warranty is not transferable. Do not return this product to a store. See DEWALT.com for details or simply call 1-800-4DEWALT (1-800-443-9258) and DEWALT will ship a replacement. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state."

Mail-in warranty that still requires a receipt. Yuck.
JasonCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:56 AM   #12
cnttxmdc

Trying to decide between this and the C-man 309 pcs set... Decisions, decisions....
cnttxmdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #13
trogo

I believe the Dewalt Warranty will evolve over time. Requiring an original receipt and being non-transferrable for a 20 year old tool is laughable. Currently you do not have to send a defective tool back to get a replacement. Just describe what the problem is and they will send a replacement.

I take good care of my tools and have never broke a ratchet, socket or wrench in my 40 years using USA-Made Craftsman hand tools. I'm not impressed with the new Chinese Craftsman hand tools. I went with the Dewalt set because of the quality and completeness of the 6-point sockets, no redundancy of 12-point sockets, and minimal filler pieces. They are made in Taiwan.

Last edited by trogo; 11-05-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #14
CNGsaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnttxmdc View Post
Trying to decide between this and the C-man 309 pcs set... Decisions, decisions....
Search the SearsOutlet.com website as some 309 piece sets as low as $119
CNGsaves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #15
bcradio

has this set even been out long enough to know if this is a 'hot deal'?
bcradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:01 AM   #16
nicksnothereman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sport View Post
Most sockets will ship for under $3 USPS First Class. I'll bet you spend that much in gas driving to the store for a replacement...
Maybe, maybe not (mailer + gas to the p.o. + non machinable rate) but I'm a bit distrustful of the warranty itself. You can mail it in and they can simply say "abuse" and give you nothing. At least if you bring it in store you can deal with someone and if they won't replace it you get the replacement on the spot.

If you really need the socket right away you're not going to wait a week or longer for a replacement so you'll be buying a replacement anyway.

I don't think these dewalt tools are bad though. They look pretty stout to me but still that warranty vs. just walking into sears if you have a problem. That's a pretty decent sized risk with a whole set if you plan on them lasting a while. I wouldn't even take that risk on a store warrantied set though because you gotta test the stuff out to know what it can take before you go all in. Even among the sets it's not always the same quality as the individually sold tools (but that's debatable).
Old 11-06-2013, 02:06 AM   #17
nicksnothereman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcradio View Post
has this set even been out long enough to know if this is a 'hot deal'?
I recall seeing them a bit after New Years this year (maybe march or april) so they've been out a decent length of time. The bostitch equivalent (might or might not be equivalent, I don't know off hand the ratchets look a bit different but everything else...) at walmart got stocked a couple months ago. But there are differences in offering among the lines.

These are stanley tools ("professional line" would be my guess) so there's probably zero chance the warranty would be administered differently between the lines. I got their bostitch t handle set, it's good. I don't know about the rest though.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:44 AM   #18
sloppy

Quote:
Ah...I see.

MY sears will warranty them to. and has a pretty huge selection of GW tools..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote