Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-10-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
Dragster Racer

Default Mounting lights outside metal building

OK. Simple detail question. I have metal ribbed siding, and the center has a rib running up and down it. I would like to mount a light right at the center but it will be straddling the rib. How do you get this to look good and right?
Dragster Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
Everyday

Default Re: Mounting lights outside metal building

I've been wondering the exact same thing. I have a pole barn with metal siding that I want to install outside lights. I haven't seen anything for this yet.
www.razorservers.com
Everyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-10-2008, 09:54 PM   #3
jcs_in_ky

There's one on a metal building on my property that is done like that. It was there when we bought the place. It looks like they just took a normal fixture and notched it out for the rib. Then they caulked around it. They didn't do that good of a job cutting it and relied more on the caulking (lots of it). If I had been done neatly it would look better and probably seal better. I need to pull it down one of these days and fix it, just haven't had a chance yet.
jcs_in_ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:31 PM   #4
Nealcrenshaw

Need some pics!
Old 09-11-2008, 12:40 AM   #5
Steve in Mi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragster Racer View Post
OK. Simple detail question. I have metal ribbed siding, and the center has a rib running up and down it. I would like to mount a light right at the center but it will be straddling the rib. How do you get this to look good and right?
You could use a 6" X 6" (or whatever size will accommodate the light base) piece of wood and saw a matching rib relief down the center to straddle the center rib.

Rap in aluminum or paint to suit.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:46 AM   #6
Dragster Racer

Thanks guys. That helps!
Dragster Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #7
Nutty 5.0

I ended up going to HD, and they have these little vinyl/plastic sections that are about 9" LxW. They have different styles to mount either flat or angle cut for vinyl siding so they will sit flush. I found one that was flush and placed it between some of the ribbing. Or you can just make the notches yourself to fit the ribs. Really looks nice and finshed. Did this outside the mandoor for a light and the opposite side over the doors facing the alley with a flood light.
24'x32'x12' Conestoga built pole building with two 10'x10' doors. 6" concrete floor 4500 psi. Bend Pak MX10-AC 2 post lift and a Pro Park 8 Plus 4 post lift with lifting jack . U-Coat it floor and Garage Pak air lines. Built in March 2005. My garage build: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=41534
Nutty 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote