Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
quad shop

Default new vise

im looking to get a new vise for myself for x-mas and was looking to spend 75-150. I know everyone is going to say to craigslist and what not but Ive truly exhausted that option. either they are the same amount as to buy a new one or are reasonably priced but 150-300 miles away and drives the cost way up. I would love to have a old bullet but just cant find one. so I was looking at a yost 455 5 1/2" . im just a hobby mechanic and diy guy I really don't have a need for a 5-600$ vice nor the money. so whats your opinion and are there better vises out there for the price
quad shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
justanengineer

Location: In a house, attached to a garage, on a street, in a city, in NW Indiana...
Default Re: new vise

Not sure how your nearby area is, but Ive noticed in my travels that the hippies in the Seattle and NW coastal areas make for an abundance of antique shops, so Id check in some of them. I scored a suitcase full of tools during two weeks out there last summer.
"I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

WANTED: Super Clean or NOS Peterson Vise-Grips.
Please look here: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...28#post3699228
justanengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
neophyte

You might try the Yost 900 series vises. The vises are imported, but they're welded and cast steel instead of iron which woud make repair easier if anything went wrong. My understanding is the design used to be produced in the USA by Yost. The vises are available in a black finish or a high visibility yellow finish. The vises also seem to fit directly into your price range. The specs from the Yost catalog.

All Steel Utility Vises are economically priced for various less demanding applications. The entire vise body is constructed using structural cast steel. The bar covers the continuous rolled main screw. Each vise is equipped with replaceable hardened steel serrated jaws and built-in pipe jaws. The 360 degree swivel base features two (2) lock downs.
-Made of 50,000 PSI structural cast steel (SC37)
-Replaceable Hardened Steel Serrated Top Jaws
-All Steel Vise features Full 360 Degree Swivel Base With 2 Lockdowns
-Permanent Pipe Jaws and a Large Reinforced Anvil
-No Pinch Main Screw Handle

The Black finish vises are models 904-AS, 905-AS, 906-AS, 908-AS, and 910-AS. The last number is the jaw width and openning.

The Yellow finish vises are models 904-HV-AS, 905-HV-AS, 906-HV-AS, 908-HV-AS, and 910-HV-AS.

Yost also has a sells asteel vise that is forged unlike the previous ones that use cast steel parts. They offer a few different sizes. The only one that would fit your budget is the 4" size, model FSV-4. The specs from yost for the SV series vises.

The Yost Forged Steel Vise series is the latest in the Yost line of vises. This series is constructed out of 90,000 PSI Tensile Strength (54,000 PSI Yield Strength). This line is the only forged steel vise line to come with replaceable machinist and pipe jaws. Adjustable hardened guide rails provide smooth, precise operation. The durable powder coat finish provides a professional finish that helps prevent damage from weather. The forged steel base features two lockdowns for a tight grip.

-90,000 PSI Tensile Strength (54,000 PSI Yield Strength) Forged Steel Casting (S45C)
-Black Oxide Main Handle for increased corrosion resistance
-Replaceable Black Oxide Machinist and Pipe Jaws
-Large anvil work surface
-Adjustable guide rails for smooth operation
-360 Swivel Base with two lockdowns
-Forged steel base with three mounting holes
neophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
toomanytoyzz

What size vise are you looking for? I might have one or two vintage ones in good shape I'd let go shipped to your door for $75. Not going to be a monster in that price range, but a 3.5"-4" vise. Let me know.
toomanytoyzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
quad shop

seattle is to far and seems to expensive well at least craigslist is. really liking the sfv-4 right on the edge of my price though especially now that amazon charges tax
toomanytoyzz since this will be my first and hopefully last (yeah right we all know every man needs atleat 3: ) i was looking for 5-6" but what do u have
Old 11-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
toomanytoyzz

I have a bullet I'd let got for $110 shipped. It has the original sticker (what is left of it anyway) still on it. Here are a couple pics. It's in great shape just needs one new jaw insert. It looks like the PO put a different sized one on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wilton835 004.JPG (71.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg wilton835 006.JPG (83.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg wilton835 001.JPG (94.2 KB, 20 views)
toomanytoyzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #7
quad shop

does anyone remember who was on here selling jaw inserts or was that a different forum
Old 11-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #8
jakemac

You want to talk to KMScott.

He has two websites for vise parts :

http://wiltonviseparts.net/
and
http://www.benchvisejaws.com/

Jake' Projects thread here.

No job is complete until you've been to the hardware store 3 times and bleed on it ................ twice.

Don't tell my family, but that "to do" that I told them was on the "list" ...........
.......... THERE IS NO LIST !!!!!!
jakemac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
autopts

I think Ebay is a haven for USA made vises of almost any price category you want. I picked up this Parker 433 1/2 combo and with shipping, it was less then $150.

autopts is offline   Reply With Quote