Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-20-2008, 10:09 PM   #1
jcp907

Default Enclosed nut and bolt storage

I want an enclosed nut and bolt (etc) storage system and I don't want to spend a ton of money. I hope that some of you may have ideas.

I want drawers with dividers or bins. The slides don't need to be roller bearing and the drawers don't have to be metal, but the individual plastic bins are not what I want. I also don't want a flip up cover for each drawer.

At our Lowes, their nut and bolt display cabinet is pretty much what I want (the drawers aren't for sale). The drawer sets are modular. I believe 6 drawers to a section or so. Each section is probably about 30" wide and maybe 19" deep or so and might be 24" tall. Maybe I can take a picture of it next time I am there.

Does anyone have any idea where I might find something that's not terribly expensive?

Thank you,

Jay

Last edited by jcp907; 09-20-2008 at 10:58 PM.
jcp907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:36 AM   #2
bobs409

Lightbulb Re: Enclosed nut and bolt storage

I don't have any pics handy but I built my own fastener storage drawers. I built my own workbench and it has 20 large drawers on full extension 100 lb drawer slides. I simply made dividers inside the drawers I wanted to use out of 1/4" hardboard. These were half lapped over one another. One drawer even has a sliding tray built the same way.

Building this all myself, I could make it any way I wanted. I can easily make changes as needed and it wasn't too costly. (the drawer slides are the biggest cost)

Something to consider if you have some woodworking tools and like to DIY.

Bob

P.S. I would recommend some type of good slides as a drawer full of nuts/bolts is quite heavy.
1963 Impala 283 * 1966 Impala 327 * 1966 Chevelle SS 409 * 1969 Chevelle 307 * 1969 C-10 Stepside 454 * 1969 Custom/30 wrecker 350 1971 Cheyenne/20 fleetside 350 * 1971 Chevelle 6 cyl * 1972 Chevelle 454

bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-21-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
daw53

Default Re: Enclosed nut and bolt storage

The good stuff is not cheap. Durham makes a nice line of such cabinets:
http://www.durhammfg.com/catalog.html?id=1
I have some 'drawer cabinets' similar to the Durham ones pictured that I use for fastener storage. I got mine from the plant that I used to work at.

I have also built storage drawers similar to what jcp907 explained.

- David
daw53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
Ramblur

I picked up Dorman cabinets for $10/pc. from a parts store that was closing
and the paper size drawers next to them from a HR Block outfit that was
moving.Keep an eye out and something will turn up.
Ramblur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:47 AM   #5
Stuart in MN

I see those file card cabinets like Ramblur posted in his photo for sale on my local Craigslist every so often, I think they'd work pretty well. You could make some drawer dividers out of sheet metal or thin plywood to suit your inventory of hardware. You may be able to find some in a used office equipment store as well.

Edit: Here's a perfect example of what I was talking about:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/fuo/842983656.html

I like this one even better, but it's a little pricey for garage use...
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/fuo/846044670.html

Last edited by Stuart in MN; 09-21-2008 at 10:57 AM.
Stuart in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:57 AM   #6
Torque1st

A person can also enclose those plastic open bins to keep dust, dirt, and critters out.
Torque1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:12 PM   #7
ddawg16

I like the yellow portable storage cases....black case, clear cover with different size yellow bins. I have a couple and they are loaded according to use...one has wood screws and related hardware, the other the general purpose screws.

As soon as my garage is finished I'll buy more and make a rack to store them....what I like about them is that I can pull one out with the screws I want and take to the task at hand instead of making mutiple trips.

"The dream is free but the hustle is sold separately."

In Progress...2-Story Addition link
2-Story Garage Complete My Garage Build Link
Home for.....
84 CJ7 - With a 'few' modifications.. My Jeep Build Link
And my wife's art Studio...
and 3 kids with more energy than we have...
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #8
jcp907

Thanks for the input and advice.

Bobs-I wish I had the skills, tools, patience, and time to build something like this of wood, but time and tools aren't available at this time. I already have too many projects, including the garage! Thanks for the advice though.

Daw53-yeah, I know the good stuff isn't cheap when new. I don't need top of the line though, and I don't need new. As Ramblur's experience indicates, the deals are out there, I just need to know what to look for. I will add Durham to the search terms-thanks!

Ramblur-Thanks for the hope, something like those Dorman boxes would probably be great, particularly at that price. Is it possible to open one of them and take a picture?

Stuart-thanks for the advice and I have two such cabinets. Sorting through them is a bit frustrating for me so I am now looking for full width drawers, so when I open one, I can see everything in it, instead of looking through three or four columns of drawers. I realize labels could overcome that, however, it's just my preference to find a wider drawer. Thanks for the links and the pictures.

DDawg-Thanks for the advice. I have some of those as well and use them right now and they work well and I will use these for the trailer, but want something easier than having to slide each case out, then look inside, then unlatch, and open, then close and latch to grab what I need. I guess I am getting lazier. I just want something that's more efficient

It looks like there are deals out there, and I have the time to wait to find what I an looking for. I will keep an eye out on Craigslist and Ebay like you guys suggest-searches will include lista, dorman, vidmar, durham. Does anyone have any other ideas for search terms?

Again, thanks for the help guys.

Jay
jcp907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:12 PM   #9
Stephenw

I'm using the Durham boxes. You can get them for a reasonable price from...

www.use-enco.com

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=892&PMCTLG=00
Stephenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:04 PM   #10
Mr_fixit

I use boxes like these. http://www.durhammfg.com/item.html?id=156 I find them in the junkyard in old CATV or Phone Co vans or at flea markets. My favorite ones are 12" long and about 4" deep.
I also find them used at Carlisle or Englishtown swap meets . I've bought new ones for $50., but most used ones cost half that. You can never have too many bolts/nuts/screws, etc!. I have about 15
Mr_fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:33 AM   #11
ultgar

I have a bunch of large and small Durham scoop boxes...some new, some used that I am selling off. Also a few of the slide racks which house 4 of the boxes.

Contact me directly at ultgar@verizon.net if interested. Steve D
ultgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:42 AM   #12
Brad54

If they don't have to be drawers, you could get a regular and readily-available nut and bolt bind. Doesn't have the advantage of sliding out to look down into it.
Then make a pair of doors out of clear Plexi-glass, with a couple of cabinet door knobs and magnets to keep them closed.

I got a big 48-bin cabinet, took it to the soda blaster and had it stripped (that was a little above-and-beyond, but I know the guy so it was cheaper than buying new), and painted it with red Rust-oleum. I need to get my "round-toit" and build the doors.

I've also got three of the plastic storage bin racks that hang 8 plastic bins off them. The bins are removable. The racks are flat metal, with rows of 3-inch-wide louvers punch in them (Upside down, and backwards, to form a lip). The bins have a plastic tab on the back of them that hangs into the lovers. This is what holds them to the panel.

I put these in an old industrial metal cabinet with a door on it, and use it as my nut/bolt magic box.
It's not ideal, hence the nut/bolt bin I'm working on. But it's worked great for 10 years, and has kept all my fasteners dust and dirt free.

That's actually the key right there--10 year's worth of shop dirt and grim settling into a bolt bin will make them grungy every time you dig into it.

-Brad
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:41 AM   #13
ultgar

Here's a few photos of tool and hardware storage in my basement workshop........

SD
Old 09-23-2008, 08:46 AM   #14
RbrtAWhyt

Those Lista boxes are sweet...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose-LandTran
You can only get the clap so many times before it turns into applause...

Hit me up on Facebook.
RbrtAWhyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:18 AM   #15
Brad54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultgar View Post
Here's a few photos of tool and hardware storage in my basement workshop........

SD
Why so many of the same sized screwdrivers?

-Brad

Last edited by Brad54; 09-23-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:12 AM   #16
Bevis

must be alot of throw aways...
Bevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:07 AM   #17
kbs2244

If you are near a large city, check the yellow pages for a used office furniture place.
Or keep an eye on your local craigslist or e-bay.
Good office stuff is almost always steel with roller bearings.
My favorites are library card files, map or drawing cabinets, and if you can still find them IBM card cabinets.
kbs2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:52 PM   #18
ultgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad54 View Post
Why so many of the same sized screwdrivers?

-Brad
Old Facom inventory purchased when SK was dumping all of their stock after Facom was sold to Stanley......a lot of these are give away with larger purchases.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:55 PM   #19
1320stang

Jay, what part of the country are you in?

The reason I ask.....

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/endecaSearch?Ntt=lista&Ntk=P_Lot_Title&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=0&Nty=1&Ns=Lot%20Number|0&words=lista&cmd=keyword

1963 Fairlane 2 door post
1965 Mustang Coupe
1973 F-100 longbed
1991 Festiva "Thing 1", red
1991 Festiva "Thing 2", blue
1992 Festiva "Blackie", black (duh)
1993 Festiva "Feisty", white
2000 Explorer 4 door, "Kevin"
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Explorer SportTrac
2005 Honda Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
PS: I'm a girl..
1320stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:04 PM   #20
Jiffycake

Wow, ultgar. Do you sell any of your stocked hardware? You should get a collection of gr5 and 8 hardware. I would buy it lol. Ace doesn't always have what I need in stock.
Jiffycake is offline   Reply With Quote