Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-08-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
rixtrix1

Default Small, Messy Carport to Garage

At the urging of a couple GJ friends, I’ve decided to start a thread about my small, messy garage. When we bought our home, it was listed a no garage and no patio. As we approached the property with the realtor, I couldn’t help but notice a double garage door at the front of the house. Upon asking, the realtor replied the second owner could get an insurance break on his new Pontiac Fiero is it wasn’t visible when parked at home, so he installed a garage door with opener on the carport!? Kinda strange, don’t you think? Regardless, score for us. The home was at the end of a cul-de-sac and has a minimal front exposure, while the back of the lot is 150’ wide. I had ambitions 23 years ago of building a large garage in the back to keep my 1966 Chevelle drag race car in as there was more than ample space and there are no HOA restrictions in my neighborhood. I immediately enclosed the carport during the first two week after purchasing the property as we had a lot of stuff sitting there while we renovated the inside of the home while taking care of our two year old and 7 months old sons. Needless to say, we kept pretty busy for the next few months. Due to extenuating circumstances(life) , the detached shop hasn’t happened yet.
Carport to garage conversion consisted of a 4x6x16 single block around the perimeter of the slab while replacing the center wall posts with 2x4 stud walls covered with T111(?) siding and a mandoor to the side opposite the now covered entryway to the front door. There was a3’x6’ storage room to one side of the carport containing the hot water heater, which was fed by two 4x8 solar panels on the roof. This wasn’t listed on the sales proposal either as the listing was an HUD repossession. Score number two. Over the next few years, I added a 90 amp subpanel with a 50A 220V outlet, a 20A 220V outlet, a 30A 110V outlet and 3- 110V outlets inside and 2-110V outlets outside. I had also added several outlets on the ceiling for the door opener and lights. The walls got R13 batts and drywall with 5/8” Firestop and a combination of foam, batts and blown cellulose in the attic totaling R30. I added 2” rigid Styrofoam panels to the garage door and tightened up the assist springs. An pulldown attic access ladder allows storage of some lightweight items on ˝” plywood on top of the foam with a pullstring light fixture making it a little easier to see when up there. By the way, the finished dimensions are 18’ x 20’ with a ceiling height of 8’3”. The third pic is definitely the title shot!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (140.4 KB, 1543 views)
File Type: jpg 013.JPG (69.3 KB, 1344 views)
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (130.5 KB, 1730 views)
File Type: jpg 008.JPG (117.0 KB, 1309 views)
rixtrix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
marty_p

Default Re: Small, Messy Carport to Garage

One day at a time, bud, and you'll get there.

Enjoy those little ones now, and update us as time allows!
> 2008 Kia Rondo LX (princess #1)
> TBA (princess #2)
> TBA (princess #3)
marty_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #3
rixtrix1

When I have time, I'll scan some old photos of some work I did on the Chevelle back in the mid 1990's, (backhalf, tubs, ladderbars and 9" rear axle with coilovers). Shortly after completing the chassis work on the Malibu, replacing most of the rust on the body, mating the two and installing the rollcage, we found out our two sons have Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy and their medical costs and need for attention escalated drastically, as did their education needs, so the garage pretty much got put on hold. I was PTO president in elementary school for a couple of years, served on the district site council, etc, throughout their school years, and while I kept acquiring tools and stuff for the garage and Malibu, It just kept getting put anywhere in the garage to the point where there was not much but a goat trail from the house door to the workbench, toolbox, drillpress, storage room ( which did get a 60 gal, 6 hp Campbell aircompressor and a watersoftener. I also had stopped dragracing and had taken up airgun Field Target shooting as a way to relax as I can shoot in my backyard where the 50 yard width is really nice. It also helped me relax as the concentration helped take my mind off my sons' medical problems as they were in and out of the hospital for the last six years with all kinds of breathing problems and eating difficulties from their Muscular Dystrophy resulting in both having trache tubes and feeding tubes put in. Kinda eliminated my "spare time" to work in the garage The past 6 months have been great for them with no hospitalizations, so I wanted to get back into the garage and straighten it up and install some of the cabinets, tools and organizers I had been accumulating.

Skipping ahead to the present, I got interested in NASA roadracing a couple of years ago when a work mate decided to convert his 94 Mustang into a track car. I drug out my SP175 Lincoln MIG to help him install a rollcage. and discovered a 1966 Chevelle Malibu buried under the garage accumulation! I had set it up for autuX during the late '70' and had a lot of suspension parts from that incarnation, plus I had picked up a lot of new knowledge over the last 30 years. ( BTW, I am an ASE Master Auto Technician/ L1 Diagnostics for the last 28 years and repair cars every day). Coming off a back injury from lifting one of our boys last June, I'm finally feeling good enough to start tackling the cleanup. Threw out all the cardboard flats I used for target backers, picked up most of the clutter from around the car, workbench and toolbox and vacuumed those areas. Lo and behold, I don't have a dirt floor garage! I had previously tied into the existing heatpump ductwork to supply conditioned air to the garage years ago, and with all the insulation, temps stay under 95 during 115+F summer days and above 55 during the winters, which often see sub-30F nights in December and January. Needless to say, the garage is workable during the evenings almost year round, if one has time to be out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 009.jpg (58.7 KB, 998 views)
File Type: jpg garage 001.JPG (90.4 KB, 996 views)
File Type: jpg garage 002.JPG (105.7 KB, 972 views)
File Type: jpg garage 003.JPG (117.9 KB, 903 views)

Last edited by rixtrix1; 12-09-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:58 PM   #4
rixtrix1

Today I decided to work on getting the garage door to seal better along the top, where there was an almost 2" gap from the previous owner's poor installation. I had also neglected to address this when I insulated and sheetrocked the space years ago. Out came the sawsall and after removing all the drywall nails from above the door, I cut the nails securing the 1x4 that had been tacked onto the faux beam above the door and left a large gap to the top of the door. The carport gable end relies on the end truss for support and a 2x12 between the columns is basically a design element. I slipped a 2x6 up into the gap between the 2x12 and the drywall and screwed it into place. I adjusted the upper g-door rollers to close the gap as good as possible. It appears that a brace for the upper panel will be needed to make the adjustment uniform. I've decided to wait a while before painting the new lumber , both to let it dry out some and until the temps rise high enough to let the paint dry properly. Then I can add some weatherstripping and see how much nicer a tight garage door allows the space to be.

The mess is embarrassing, yes, but I'm motivated to get it better. Thanks to Sergey from Siberia for pushing me to get started and post a thread. This will take a while and definitely won't be a color matching cabinets job. but it should be a functional workspace for doing all the fabrication work on the Malibu.

Then, instead of sitting here looking at all the other spaces here on GJ, which have been more than inspirational, I need to get out there and make mine work. After getting the clutter organized, I will finally texture and paint the walls. Or would it be better to leave them flat( untextured) to cut down on dust settling on the texture? We have tremendous duststorms here in the Sonorran desert.

You can see the gap in the first pics and maybe makeout the new lumber in the later pics, taken about 6 PM after cleaning up the mess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garage 010.JPG (89.6 KB, 562 views)
File Type: jpg garage 011.JPG (85.1 KB, 539 views)
File Type: jpg garage 012.JPG (112.4 KB, 606 views)
File Type: jpg garage 013.JPG (128.9 KB, 613 views)
Old 12-09-2013, 12:37 AM   #5
rixtrix1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty_p View Post
One day at a time, bud, and you'll get there.

Enjoy those little ones now, and update us as time allows!
Thanks, Marty. One day at a time is how we live and those little ones are now 25 and 24. As I said on another thread, they are terrors in their electric wheelchairs that go 12 mph. Imagine that in a 1500sf home! The drywall and doorways will never be the same, lol.

Ric

Last edited by rixtrix1; 12-09-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:07 AM   #6
1/2 Cup
Super Moderator

Keep us posted on your progress, enjoy the journey.

1/2 Cups Brake drum pot belly heater build.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=224963

Corporate Policy in the Shed Downunder on my weekly To Do List from now on and that is " include at least one trivial job on that list every week" .

*QST = Quality Shed Time.
**MOE = Moment Of Enlightenment.

***QFT = Quality Family Time..
1/2 Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:56 AM   #7
SBogaCH

It is great that you have started your thread!
Chevelle Malibu is a fantastic car! I didn't notice it under the loads of things at first)) Do you have any other pics of it? I'm very interested...
to my mind, you need to place some rubber into the door slit.
According to kinematics of the door motion this rubber will be working very well. I don't know what what you have got in your shops, that is why I 've roughed in the general shape of the pattern in section.

P.S. I am not from Siberia,I am from The Volga region. But the nearest river is the Ural
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garage.JPG (94.5 KB, 517 views)
Old 12-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #8
rixtrix1

Thanks, Sergey.

I plan on adding some rubber lipped weatherstripping after I paint the new board, for a better seal. Sorry about the location mistake; my Grandparents on my Dad's side grew up near Volgograd in one of the German villages there. He immigrated to the USA when the Bolsheviks started taking over. My great-Grandparents on my Mom's side came from the same area in 1884.

I'll have to scan some pics of the Malibu. Most were taken long before the advent of the digital camera. I've owned the car since 1971. It was never a collectible condition vehicle, so I've just enjoyed modifying it to fit my taste and budget at the time.

Last edited by rixtrix1; 12-09-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #9
rixtrix1

Found some old photos( remember those?!) and scanned them in. If one looks closely, the stud walls I added to enclose the carport are visible on the side. In another, the old T111 siding is visible on the front wall and in some later ones, the drywall and mudded finish is visible. These are from the 1990's if I remember correctly. The old rusty car is a two door body rolling chassis I bought for $200 to replace the original one from my Malibu. It was a previously wrecked A/C coupe to replace the 4 door body of my car. By the time I had stripped it down to the shell and sold off the pieces I didn't need or want( A/C, A/C dash, power steering, rear axle, seats and bumpers, I was $1500 richer! not a bad deal at the time. Four door body is outside and two door body is beside the frame inside. Frame is from the 4-door as the 2 door was 2" out of square from a poorly repaired hard RF hit. Being cheap, I cut and pasted the best parts of the two bodies together. Now. I'm working to get the space back to a workable area again. Got six T12 fixtures and 2 T8's working in there now. Didn't do too much this week in the garage as I cleaned off the patio and sideyard, put up some Xmas lights and splined together the two pieces of 2x6 I reframed the top of the garage door opening with. Some paint and weatherstrip next week and the door will be sealed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garage early 5.jpg (62.4 KB, 619 views)
File Type: jpg garage early 6.jpg (68.5 KB, 611 views)
File Type: jpg garage early 7.jpg (97.4 KB, 621 views)
File Type: jpg garage early (640x449).jpg (38.8 KB, 826 views)

Last edited by rixtrix1; 12-14-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #10
rixtrix1

Garage helpers, circa 1997.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garage early 4.jpg (54.9 KB, 444 views)
File Type: jpg garage helpers (640x456).jpg (44.9 KB, 565 views)
Old 12-16-2013, 02:12 AM   #11
rixtrix1

Got some more cleanup done today. Cleaned up around the bench, grinder, drillpress and press, and unpacked the trunk and roof of the Malibu( looks somewhat better than the pic in the post#3). Moving ahead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (74.5 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (84.1 KB, 392 views)

Last edited by rixtrix1; 12-16-2013 at 02:16 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:16 AM   #12
1/2 Cup
Super Moderator

Just checking In, great work.

Corporate Policy in the Shed Downunder on my weekly To Do List from now on and that is " include at least one trivial job on that list every week" .

Old 12-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #13
rixtrix1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2 Cup View Post
Just checking In, great work.
Thanks. Probably never be as organized as your place, 1/2 Cup, but having a spot to keep everything when not in use, while having room to work with my stationary tools and my vehicles is my goal.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #14
HSpencer
Alliance Member

Quite a task at hand, but there is a lot of great shop in there. I also thank you for starting your thread and we will be very interested in it. Keep on keeping on and you will have a lot of good success.

Best Regards
Herb Spencer
Old 12-21-2013, 01:04 AM   #15
rixtrix1

Thanks Herb, 1/2Cu qnd Sergey. Been too busy and tired from work to much but put some caulk and one coat of paint on the new wood over the door. Hope to do weatherstrip this weekend after a second coat of Dunn-Edwards paint. Love this stuff; had the home painted outside 10 years ago and have only had to do a little touchup here and there, mostly due to my negligence. Am going to repaint the south side trim when the weather gets nicer here. It's the coldest and rainiest time of the year in Phoenix, for the next couple of months or so. Always have a few exceptional days thrown in for enjoyment now and then.

What do you think about wall texture in a shop with a lot of grinding, welding, bodywork making dust. Shall I just paint the drywall smooth, or apply some kind of texture?

Last edited by rixtrix1; 12-21-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:38 AM   #16
1/2 Cup
Super Moderator

I tend to most of my dirty work outside, both metal work and wood work. That said our climate is perhaps a little kinder and allows me to do it most of the year round.
I am also mindfull of our nieghbours as well.
My shop is divided in to 3 sections, one for the office and Model A it is fully lined, the walls are cement sheet and painted pretty much a clean area with the ceilng suspended using 2 x 4 dry wall tiles and insulated.

The workshop and storage area have all the wall lined with cement sheet, and not painted and no ceiling.

Its pretty easy to keep clean except for all the stuff i have.

Try to keep the finish smooth as a textured finish tends to collect dust.

Thats my thoughts any way. Cheers..

Old 12-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #17
taumac

Did I miss the Model A? When it comes down to it you got to ask yourself honestly what will you use the space for, design a plan and stick to it. Then over time it will get there. I will admit my place changed several times but that's my ocd and tools I always wanted I got over the years. If I brought a new place now I could easily go there set it up cause I have about everything I going to need for projects I do. Good luck.

5 Stitches Garage
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=211899

Florida Garage Life
Florida Chapter of the Garage Journal

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/g...hp?groupid=117
taumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #18
rixtrix1

Steadily chipping away at the garage clean-up. Cleared off the benchtop as I got my S10 cylinder heads back from the machine shop today( valvejob with exhaust seats replaced due to stuck exh. valve) and needed a clean place to put them until I can start installing them tomorrow. Gathered up the rest of the removed parts of the engine from all over the place Sunday and organized them by the front door and put all my power tools back into the cabinet. This involved putting a bunch of broken boxes of nuts, bolts and other fasteners from the cabinet and workbench into a 5 gal bucket for future sorting.
A lot of other little hardware went into plastic bins which will be further organized when I get the floor cleaned off and the walls painted. It's sure nice having all the lights working to make it bright all over( even put the original outdoor light fixture back over the box by the house door to light up that corner as the pulldown attic door doesn't leave room for another 4' light there.

Workbench has followed me around since I found the 1/8" x 20.5 x 40" bent metal top back in 1974 laying beside the road. Maybe I'll get around to welding a backsplash on it some day. The vise is a 4" Ridgid Tool that I got when I was working in a US Supply Co. plumbing warehouse in 1976. As you can see from the shelf, I hate throwing anything made of metal away( another organization project!) And yeah, I'm that old, haha.

Laying out some copper to run an airline from the compressor in the closet out to the garage wall so I can leave that door closed and the noise out. Just need to find a flexhose to go between the compressor and the hardline. Hopefully I can find one in town tomorrow so I don't have to order it and wait.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garage 001.jpg (59.8 KB, 443 views)

Last edited by rixtrix1; 12-30-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:18 AM   #19
Ed Litsch
Banned

It looks like you are coming along pretty well. You just need to sort things out and get rid of what you don't need. But it looks like the makings of a great place, there. Keep up the good work. You'll get there.
Ed Litsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:57 PM   #20
rixtrix1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Litsch View Post
It looks like you are coming along pretty well. You just need to sort things out and get rid of what you don't need. But it looks like the makings of a great place, there. Keep up the good work. You'll get there.
Thanks, Ed.