Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-23-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
KCHOTBOAT

Default Stinger lifts?

Does anyone have one of these? http://www.stingerlifts.com/residentialmodels.htm#ST
Good or bad? Looks like they are about 2 hours from my house so picking one up my not be a problem.

Last edited by KCHOTBOAT; 09-23-2008 at 12:22 PM.
KCHOTBOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
OldCarGuy

Default Re: Stinger lifts?

I own five Stinger four-post lifts. I purchased the first one when Dave first started Stinger over ten years ago. He has since sold the company. Although they are not certified, they have a sound design and have been a good value to me. They have been trouble free and have served me very well.

My "Class Act" Car Hauler's===> Structural Failure

OldCarGuy's New Toy Shop Complex
OldCarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-23-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
revlover

I think you've said this before OldCarGuy, but I believe a lot of the four posts out there are designed the same way as these lifts....
revlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
OldCarGuy

Lots of four-post lifts have derived from this design. The fella that started Stinger worked for one of the larger lift companies that made lifts for the home user. I believe it was Auto Lifter, that has since closed their doors over a year ago. He took their design and made improvements to the locking mechanisms, increased the cylinder size, and improvements to the cable system. And came up with some new options like aluminum ramps and wheels. I know that he produced them in his own shop and was forever increasing his capacity. Because he couldn’t keep up with the orders. He saw the writing on the walls and sold Stinger with the invasion of cheep re-badged Chinese copies. And I have no idea where Stinger lifts are manufactured now.

My "Class Act" Car Hauler's===> Structural Failure

OldCarGuy's New Toy Shop Complex
OldCarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:43 PM   #5
Stuart in MN

I have a Stinger lift in my garage, it's an older one just like what Oldcarguy has. It's well made and I've had no problems with it, but that may not have much bearing on their current product.
Stuart in MN is offline   Reply With Quote