Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-23-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
peter_x

Question Allergic reaction to paint?

Hey guys, I think I just developed some sort of rash due to paint.

I was planning on touching up the bumper to my car with a spray gun. I had previously applied some touch-up paint from the dealer, which came in a little tube with a brush. I needed to sand the area where I had applied this paint. As I was doing so, I got an itching sensation coming from my arm and leg which were closest to the area I was working. I watched as some mosquito-bite like pimples developed.

Is this a known occurrence when sanding paint? I think I'm finished with the sanding anyway, should I go ahead and blast it? This is my first time using a spray gun (Although I have done painting with cans with no ill effects).

Thanks.
peter_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
Mr. Welsh

Default Re: Allergic reaction to paint?

Hives from paint? Yeah that's definitely possible.
Mr. Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-23-2008, 05:44 PM   #3
peter_x

Well, a couple hours after the incident and the hives are gone without a trace.

I think it will be safe to spray... after all, it's the same paint that comes in a spray can, right?
peter_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:49 PM   #4
wilbilt
Banned

When I was in high school, I took an ROP class in auto body and paint. The paint instructor was a great guy named Jesse Navarro.

He had a lot of experience painting cars, probably 20+ years. He had some sort of allergy to the synthetic paints (Imron in those days), and would often be out for a few days because he was pissing blood.

We all wore approved respirators while painting, but he was so sensitized that it didn't help him much. Food for thought.
wilbilt is offline   Reply With Quote