Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
galute

Default Galute's Hideout

About 4 years ago I started building my new shop on some property I plan to retire on in a few years. Due to work, work, work, work, work, work, well you get the idea, I never got around to finishing it. I got laid off a couple weeks ago and plan to take some time off before I go back to work and work on my shop. I thought I would start this thread for anyone that cared to follow along with this build. I must warn you though. I'm not particularly good at building buildings. I know very little about it but I can fumble thru it so it will be a slow go. Lucky for me I have two brothers and several good friends that are very good at it to guide me and help along the way.

One other thing I would like to add is I plan on doing this as cheaply as possible for a couple of reasons. One, I am a cheap bastidge. LOL. Two all the funding is coming out of a fund my wife and I have saved up to build our retirement home in a couple years and i don't want to delay that project any more than necessary. Lucky for me I have a very understanding wife that agree's finish this project before starting another.

So, now on to some pics to get the ball rolling. This is what I have to start with. Basically it's a 30 x 50 x 12' shell pole barn with a 12' leanto with all concrete work done. Nothing on the inside is complete at this time.

You can idiot proof something all you want.... you will just end up with smarter idiots.
galute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
1/2 Cup

Default Re: Galute's Hideout

Nice work, lovely location, keep the pics coming.

A Shed Downunder.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=225061
1/2 Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
galute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2 Cup View Post
Nice work, lovely location, keep the pics coming.
Thanks. Unfortunately the inside is a disaster area right now. For the last four years it's been a catch all do to working 6 or 7 days a week 12 hours plus a day. I just run in throw crap out of the truck and leave. Hopefully I can remedy all that and get it finished out, cleaned up and organized.

You can idiot proof something all you want.... you will just end up with smarter idiots.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
Zeke

Sounds like being laid off was a blessing in disguise. I'm trying to figure out how you went from 6-7/12 to no work in such a sudden move. Company must have lost a contract.

Anyway, best of luck with the building.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
galute

Ok, this is the embarrasing part. The inside as it stands now.

The west wall on left and north wall on right standing in the overhead door looking in.

South wall from garage door.

East wall garage door area.

The rest of the east wall on right

Random shots.

And the obligatory shop fridge shot. I do have some temp electric done. Two outlets and two lights. None of the kitchen stuff is hooked up. It's just sitting there.

Last edited by galute; 12-20-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
galute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Sounds like being laid off was a blessing in disguise. I'm trying to figure out how you went from 6-7/12 to no work in such a sudden move. Company must have lost a contract.

Anyway, best of luck with the building.
Thanks for the well wishes. Actually, I had to do a little arm twisting to get laid off. I'm a pipeliner and for the last few years we have been extremely busy. It's not uncommon to change jobs and company's a couple times a year but for the last few years it's go from one job straight to the next. I just finished a nine month job in Ohio. I only went up there for a three month job and it took me nine months to get away. LOL.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
1/2 Cup

I would not be embarrassed at all.
To me all I can see is a blank canvas, go for it...

A Shed Downunder.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=225061
1/2 Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:44 PM   #8
galute

Well, didn't make much progress on the shop today. One of the problems with being gone for months at a time is you get behind on everything. I did finish up a project my bud and I started last spring but I had to go to work before it was finished. We built a wood stove and started installing it. I finished the install and welded up the stove pipe. Will trim it all out when the inside walls go in.

The stove. It got kinda rusty setting all summer unprotected.

The stove pipe welded up.

My brother picked up the studs for the walls for me and dropped em off. Hopefully tomorrow we get some framing done.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:14 AM   #9
HOTFR8
Super Moderator

Location: Castlemaine, Victoria. The Hot Rod Centre of Australia.

I'm with 1/2Cup. Keep up the good work. It is what I would say a work in progress.

www.streetrod.com.au

The Beast Runs>http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...0871&showall=1
Sheddwellers>http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...0063&showall=1

"V8's are Great, But Six inlines Just Fine" - CUMMINS Advertising.
HOTFR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #10
galute

Didn't get much done to the shop yesterday due to the flooding we got and too many other things to do. I did get a few studs threw up. That's some progress I guess. LOL.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #11
rubberrodder

Galute,
I don't think you have much more stuff to move around in your garage than I do. yours is just spread out over a larger floor space. The tuff part of my build is going to be emptying it out before demo! LOL.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #12
xSoFx
Banned

Pipeline welder, eh? I miss that stuff. I'm an aspiring welder, although I was the best damn hand ever 6/7 12 hour days in the burning sun/bitter cold are my kind of work.
xSoFx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #13
Bricen18

Looking good keep the pics coming. Very nice lot as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bricen18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #14
ripper70

A kitchen in your shop. "marks down on things to put in my shop"...LOL! Id just move in if i had a kitchen. Keep us up to date on progress.
ripper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #15
galute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberrodder View Post
Galute,
I don't think you have much more stuff to move around in your garage than I do. yours is just spread out over a larger floor space. The tuff part of my build is going to be emptying it out before demo! LOL.
My problem is I have nowhere to move that stuff out to and I really don't want any of it sitting out in the weather. I covered the boat and moved it down to the barn along with the two tractors that were in there. Moved the lawn mower out under the lean to cause the barn has no more room. I pull the four wheeler out while we work. That opened it up enough we can shuffle stuff around while working.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:24 PM   #16
galute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSoFx View Post
Pipeline welder, eh? I miss that stuff. I'm an aspiring welder, although I was the best damn hand ever 6/7 12 hour days in the burning sun/bitter cold are my kind of work.
Nah, not a welder. I did that for a couple years back in the early 80's and decided it wasn't for me. I like to call myself and equipment operator but for the last few years I've been an Inspector. Basically I sit in my truck and observe what everyone else is doing. LOL.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #17
galute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper70 View Post
A kitchen in your shop. "marks down on things to put in my shop"...LOL! Id just move in if i had a kitchen. Keep us up to date on progress.
I have owned that property for quite a few years. I spend just about all my free time down there and it's usually well after dark when I leave. It's 8 miles from where I live now. Most days my wife comes down and we cook on the grill and use the kitchen in my travel trailer so we are not cooking supper at 10 oclock at night when we get home. I ran across that kitchen set that was in a mother in law apartment and picked it up for a couple hundred bucks. It just made sense to put it in the shop. It's all like brand new. Metal cabinets and a small stove. Can't wait to get it all finished.

Didn't get anything done to the shop today. I did manage to run into Lowes and grab a few things I needed while I was in town though. Progress is going to be slow this week due to the holidays plus I'm starting an OSHA class in the morning that I need for work. When I get all that out of the way I plan on making the shop priority.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:51 PM   #18
galute

Haven't had much time lately to get things done at the shop. Now that all the holidays are out of the way hopefully things will pick up some.

We did manage to get some wiring done, some insulation placed and a few sheets of sheetrock up.

And the view of the disaster area from the scaffold. Tomorrows efforts are going to be moving more of that crap down to the barn and making some more room. Didn't take long to run out of room once construction started.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #19
galute

We are making a little progress, albeit slowly. We finished hanging the sheetrock on the sections of wall we have framed up. Finished up the wireing in that section. The next section is even going to be slower as we have a door, some windows and stove pipe to cut in.

After we did that we decided to do a little cleaning and organizing to make more room. We stacked a lot of stuff against the wall we had done.

We have floor!! Where did that come from?

It's pretty cool here for Arkansas. It was 20 degree's with wind gust of 30 yesterday evening while we were working on it. Kind of cool in a building with little insulation and no ceiling in it yet. We just made sure we kept Sasquatch (wood stove) well fed. Wasn't bad to work in there at all.

Sasquatch

Old 01-09-2014, 10:39 PM   #20
galute

Been making a little progress slowly but surely. Been getting a lot of little things done that eat a lot of time like wiring, grouting the boards around the edge of the walls where they meet the concrete, putting up the cardboard around the top to stop the blown in insulation from blocking the soffet vents.

Stopped by the lumber yard to get some stuff and they had garage door insulation panels on sale for .50 each. They didn't have any the right size so I am having to cut them to fit. Not the best solution but I'm happy with the results. Got the door done.

Got a window cut in and framed out today. Plan on putting in another window and a walk door tomorrow.