Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-21-2013, 05:45 AM   #1
1982fxr

Default wal-mart Super-Tech spray lube...sold under other names?

this is wal-mart's house brand, super tech. I can't imagine a plant somewhere whips up a special recipe of spray lube just for wally world, anyone know what other brand names this stuff is sold under??

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech...-8-oz/16821278
1982fxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:58 AM   #2
neophyte

Default Re: wal-mart Super-Tech spray lube...sold under other names?

It might be this stuff.

http://www.warrenoil.com/msds/spec/a...rating_oil.pdf
neophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
Kevin54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982fxr View Post
this is wal-mart's house brand, super tech. I can't imagine a plant somewhere whips up a special recipe of spray lube just for wally world, anyone know what other brand names this stuff is sold under??

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech...-8-oz/16821278
A lot of places may modify a brand that will make it WallyWorld only. Michelin does it with tires and have a WallyWorld only brand. My friend needed on and went to the local Michelin dealer. They told him that that particular brand was sold by WallyWorld only.
Kevin54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
sberry

I am not sure what is in that stuff,,, I was hopeful but its kind of hard to tell and maybe its just me but it seems short on oil, maybe its modified I don't know but it doesn't seem to be slippery, maybe its a dry formulation???????? I was hoping it would work a bit better as its cheap, the cans are smaller, less painful to lose or damage.
sberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
Hootbro

It's a generic WD-40 knock off lubricant made by whomever can meet Wal-Mart's pricing demands. Nothing special as is WD-40 is not either. Does everything but does nothing great.
Hootbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
CamarosRus

FYI, For those needing a HIGH QUALITY Rust Inhibitor I recommend
FLUID FILM
ILWU Longshore member
Viet-Nam 68'/69'
Collect/Restore/Judge
69'/70' Camaros

CamarosRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
fitz11

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a special formulation made just for Wal-Mart. Suppliers have to meet Wal-marts price demands so it is not uncommon for suppliers to make special products for Wal-Mart with cheaper components to meet the price.
fitz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
mech-tech

After using the cheap knock off stuck at home, then using kroil at work, I notice a HUGE difference. The cheap stuff is way thinner and less oily feeling...but at a fraction of the price of kroil, you can expect such a find.
mech-tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
cousin eddie

its true that most manufacturers "water down" their products to meet wally's prices. mongoose bicycles from walmart are not the same as bike store mongooses (mongeese?). tvs, computers, lots of stuff is like this, as long as its cheap and has a name brand people will buy it, and walmart will be happy to sell you another when it dies. i know the head manager of a huge walmart, and he confirmed (admitted?) this to be true.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
bw77

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousin eddie View Post
its true that most manufacturers "water down" their products to meet wally's prices. mongoose bicycles from walmart are not the same as bike store mongooses (mongeese?). tvs, computers, lots of stuff is like this, as long as its cheap and has a name brand people will buy it, and walmart will be happy to sell you another when it dies. i know the head manager of a huge walmart, and he confirmed (admitted?) this to be true.
Brand name motor oil, too?
bw77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #11
neophyte

The ingrediants of the Super Tech Lubricant according to the MSDS.

Hydrotreated light distillates 64742-47-8

Oleic Acid 11-28-01

Carbon Dioxide 124-38-9

https://www.lakeland.edu/PDFs/MSDS/1...07-18-2006.pdf
neophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #12
monomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw77 View Post
I don't think so. Check the UPC against what you see at Carquest or Autozone to be sure, though. When a company makes a special cheaper knock-off lookalike of its own product for Wal-mart, they have a different UPC from what you see in other stores.
monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #13
monomach

Oh, and model number, too. I once saw them advertising a TV that had model number of like 1234X or 1234W vs the original model number of 1234A. It was missing 3 HDMI ports and some other stuff the regular one had.

Won't help with re-branded stuff like Supertech, but it'll keep you from getting less than you expected with name-brand.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #14
Coach James

has anyone ever seen any written confirmation of the "lower quality run for Walmart"? I mean real proof that they are selling the same model # as a specialty store but with cheaper components.

Coach

You're an engineer, aren't you?
Coach James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #15
monomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach James View Post
has anyone ever seen any written confirmation of the "lower quality run for Walmart"? I mean real proof that they are selling the same model # as a specialty store but with cheaper components.

Coach
It's technically a different model number. That's how the manufacturer can tell that you got the cheaper one when you call for product support or whatever. It's just a really close model number, like with all of the numbers the same, but with a different letter added on at the end. The electronics section is rife with them, especially TVs.

I saw it with a cell phone once, too. They changed an X in the model number to a V for the Wal-mart one that had less memory.

Last edited by monomach; 12-21-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #16
cburnscrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach James View Post

Coach
Written, no. Confirmed with somebody who sold to Walmart yes. Back in the day they (Wally World) used a practice that is outright illegal. They made the company sell at a loss during certain times of the year in order to reach a price point. If they wouldn't do it they would drop the whole company product line. They caved to the Walmart pressure.

"...The richest 1% of Americans own more than 35% of the country’s wealth, while the bottom 50% control just 2.5%.". I guess it's better to be rich than poor...who knew?

Who decides what's reasonable?

"Truth is, I make car parts for the American working man because I'm a hell of a salesman and he doesn't know any better" Ray Zalinski - Tommy Boy
cburnscrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #17
cburnscrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomach View Post
It's technically a different model number. That's how the manufacturer can tell that you got the cheaper one when you call for product support or whatever. It's just a really close model number, like with all of the numbers the same, but with a different letter added on at the end. The electronics section is rife with them, especially TVs.

I saw it with a cell phone once, too. They changed an X in the model number to a V for the Wal-mart one that had less memory.
This isn't exclusive to Walmart either...companies do the same thing for Staples, Office Depot, ect.

"...The richest 1% of Americans own more than 35% of the country’s wealth, while the bottom 50% control just 2.5%.". I guess it's better to be rich than poor...who knew?

Who decides what's reasonable?

"Truth is, I make car parts for the American working man because I'm a hell of a salesman and he doesn't know any better" Ray Zalinski - Tommy Boy
cburnscrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #18
cheechi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw77 View Post
Brand name oil filters, yes.
I'm left handed so there are a lot of things that just don't seem right to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by LORDDiESEL View Post
Folks at trident take damn good care of customers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedwrench View Post
Most of you will never be happy with a tool line produced in Taiwan regardless of how good it is.
cheechi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #19
1982fxr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootbro View Post
It's a generic WD-40 knock off lubricant made by whomever can meet Wal-Mart's pricing demands. Nothing special as is WD-40 is not either. Does everything but does nothing great.
it seems a lot more "oily" to me. Seems quite a bit better than wd-40; just my thoughts...
1982fxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #20
Kracin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz11 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a special formulation made just for Wal-Mart. Suppliers have to meet Wal-marts price demands so it is not uncommon for suppliers to make special products for Wal-Mart with cheaper components to meet the price.

if it's sold at walmart and its under a special house brand name, then there is a very good chance that they make that specifically for walmart only. as hard as that is to believe, they do that to a lot of their suppliers.

i work for lozier, and we make all of the heavy duty store shelving fixtures you see, target does a huge portion of our business, and dollar general, etc.

there is a huge array of different already ready to go store fixtures possible to go. but walmart wanted their own special setup, like no one else, and they went as far as wanting just incredibly minor changes in order to make it their own and no one else's. costs the company a huge amount to make it happen. need to run new conveyor systems, new roll former dies, new press dies, special materials, etc.

moral of the story is, just because it's walmart, don't underestimate what they make their suppliers do to make it into the walmart stores.
Kracin is offline   Reply With Quote