Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-03-2008, 06:13 PM   #1
ron in sc

Default Homemade transmission jack

None of the transmission jacks I looked at seemed like they would work very well so I just improvised.

Floor jack, 1/2" aluminum plate, 3/4" OSB, 1 bolt with nut and washers, and 2 straps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 018.jpg (45.4 KB, 642 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 019.jpg (64.1 KB, 593 views)
ron in sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
Fast Orange

Default Re: Homemade transmission jack

Ron,I've done the same thing-it worked OK a couple of times,but the odds caught up with me the last time I tried it.
The narrow track of the floor jack,combined with the lack of swivel castors on both ends resulted in the jack and the tranny falling over sideways.I was lucky-no one got hurt and the damage to the tranny was minimal-but it was too close a call for me.The tranny was almost in place-just needed to shift it sideways a hair to line it up.As soon as we pushed a bit sideways on the wheel of the jack,the tranny slid on the plate and the whole mess wound up laying on the ground.
Since then,I bought a used tranny jack.The abilty to exactly position the tranny,including tilting and angling the whole head,has made this so much easier and safer,I'll never try it any other way.
Look at it this way-how much did it cost for that freshly built tranny?When it falls off the jack and cracks/breaks or distorts the bellhousing,how much will it cost to fix? On the off chance that you don't get away from it before it lands on you,how much is the E-room bill going to be? My close call convinced me that that jack,even though I only use it once in a while,was well worth the $250 that it cost me.Plus-make up another head for it and it's better than those $150 motorcycle jacks.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:31 PM   #3
Northstar9126

Beautiful floor. Epoxy?
Northstar9126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
Stephenw

Balancing a transmission on a floor jack is a risky venture. A transmission adapter on a floor jack is just as bad, if not worse. The adapter makes the rig taller and even more unstable.

The floor jack is too narrow and can easily tip over.

I got this one from HF on sale for $99. It is acceptable quality.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3185

I also checked out their more expensive model. It is better still, but I didn't feel it was twice the price better.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4075
Stephenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
mechanikat

10" angle iron out riggers with casters added on the front. Also made a long pipe roller to place in front between the front wheel arms. Boy does this work good on a 3ton floor jack. Ever tried pulling a trannie out in the dirt out in the boonies?
mechanikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:12 AM   #6
cranky

i agree its risky buisness not using correct equipment and would advise against it if possible, but sometimes paying money for a jack ur gonna hardly use. its hard to get the money out of ur wallet. ive changed a few trans with just manpower a normal trolley jack and some axle stands. a extra per of hands always helps
Old 09-28-2010, 06:25 AM   #7
mrholeshot

That nice lift and you are using a floor jack? While it serves duty as an extention cord holder most of the time. This is a lot safer.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:22 PM   #8
SCscoutguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenw View Post
Balancing a transmission on a floor jack is a risky venture. A transmission adapter on a floor jack is just as bad, if not worse. The adapter makes the rig taller and even more unstable.

The floor jack is too narrow and can easily tip over.

I got this one from HF on sale for $99. It is acceptable quality.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3185

I also checked out their more expensive model. It is better still, but I didn't feel it was twice the price better.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4075
I bought the largest transmission jack HF had about 5 years ago and it has been great. One of the best purchases I have ever made from there. I have taken out probably 15+ automatic transmission/transfer case combo's with no problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trannyjack1.jpg (130.8 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg trannyjack2.jpg (138.8 KB, 139 views)
SCscoutguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:27 AM   #9
homesale

The 800 Lb. Capacity Transmission Jack is no longer $99. It's $129.99.

Has anyone tried the HF 450 Lb. Capacity Transmission Jack Central Hydraulics 39178?

$79.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-...ack-39178.html
homesale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:44 AM   #10
472scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesale View Post
The 800 Lb. Capacity Transmission Jack is no longer $99. It's $129.99.

Has anyone tried the HF 450 Lb. Capacity Transmission Jack Central Hydraulics 39178?

$79.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-...ack-39178.html
I have one. The screw stripped out with only mild use.
472scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:03 AM   #11
34 Ply

I made one somthing like the one he made. Like one person said It's hard to justifie the exspenes of a tool to use once or twice. I was a carpenter untill I retired and still have most of my tools. They were all the best I could buy because I wanted the longjevity and safty because I used them every day. My trans setup I have used twice, with good results. With anything like that you have to use common sense, If it can't move sideways don't push it sideways. I see a lot of home made tools in this site that work well. Nessesity is the mother of invention.
34 Ply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:52 AM   #12
homesale

I changed a clutch with my 2.25 ton jack and it was real difficult. It took hours and I thought the transmission was going to fall off the jack a few times.

Does the hydraulics leak on the Harbor Freight 800 Lb. Capacity Transmission Jack? I will swap a clutch and probably will not use it for a year or 2, then maybe I might use it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/800-lb-...jack-3185.html

Are there any good, affordable transmission jack adapters that can be mounted to an existing floor jack?
homesale is offline   Reply With Quote