To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

[Buy It Now] Snap-on S936 New $55 eBay

To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

billymade

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 2, 2008
Messages
7,461
Location
New Mexico
Do some people prefer these to the new dual 80 ratchets? Is it kinda like the hard handle/Instinct screwdriver issue; some people like 'em and some people hate 'em? I have this ratchet and it was the first sealed head Snap-On ratchet that I acquired through a warranty of a old 50s ratchet that had a hairline crack in the head. That being said; I fell in love in Snap-On ratchets after that and thus began my quest for more!
 
Last edited:

paramudduck

Well-known member
Joined
May 24, 2007
Messages
1,758
Location
ohio
I really like the all chrome a lot better then the new comfort grips. The old hard handles I like.
 

chad s

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 3, 2006
Messages
2,483
Location
Baltimore, MD
Do some people prefer these to the new dual 80 ratchets? Is it kinda like the hard handle/Instinct screwdriver issue; some people like 'em and some people hate 'em? I have this ratchet and it was the first sealed head Snap-On ratchet that I acquired through a warranty of a old 50s ratchet that had a hairline crack in the head. That being said; I fell in love in Snap-On ratchets after that and thus began my quest for more!
Not sure what isnt to like! They are SOOOOOO smooth.
 

billymade

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 2, 2008
Messages
7,461
Location
New Mexico
I've heard some critical comments on this board (about the new dual 80s) and was just wondering what people thought.....
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

speed bump

Well-known member
Joined
May 28, 2008
Messages
6,317
Location
Butte Montana
My round heads are far smoother. If I could get round heads in comfort grips, I would gladly trade my 80's for them.

I will agree with that also. I had the opportunity to buy a FHL80 for $55 the other day and after trying it I came away thinking why with 80 teeth doesn't it feel smoother than my Mac XR9F or SO FH747 or Easco round head?
 

paramudduck

Well-known member
Joined
May 24, 2007
Messages
1,758
Location
ohio
I will be flamed for this. But, I sometimes think all the F80 hype is from people who never used quality round heads.

Grandpa always claimed the companies went to pear heads due to the simplicity of design and ease of manufacture.
 

eschoendorff

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 6, 2005
Messages
8,991
Location
Michigan
I have an 80, several Snap On round heads and round heads by other manufacturers. My SK Palm Control is by far the smoothest ratchet taht I own. My Snap On 80 is by far the smoothest pear-head taht I own.

My 936s are appropriately tight and aggressive feeling. I am not a huge proponent of smoothness... but that MAC XR11F was the worst that I had. Even my 24 tooth Proto was easier to use. It didn't matter what ratchet lube was used.
 

speed bump

Well-known member
Joined
May 28, 2008
Messages
6,317
Location
Butte Montana
I wish you guys could feel my 936's with the red lube inside; sooooooo smooth. :)

The only two ratchets that lube inside them ever made any difference for me was a 24 tooth easco and a SO 720 other than that I only do it to keep the mechanism quiet.

I have an 80, several Snap On round heads and round heads by other manufacturers. My SK Palm Control is by far the smoothest ratchet taht I own. My Snap On 80 is by far the smoothest pear-head taht I own.

My 936s are appropriately tight and aggressive feeling. I am not a huge proponent of smoothness... but that MAC XR11F was the worst that I had. Even my 24 tooth Proto was easier to use. It didn't matter what ratchet lube was used.

My Proto spinflex felt a whole lot better than my Williams B-52EHA(basically a f936), maybe you just got a dud.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom