Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-24-2014, 02:37 PM   #1
dirtymoe77

Default Garage Door Hinges sealed my door!

Folks,

Let me start out by saying I don't generally write reviews or give praise of stuff via forums. In my opinion a lot of it is from inside the companies offering the product acting like a happy customer or just not worthy to hassle with.

With that said, after getting these hinges I wanted to tell you guys about them. I live outside of Chicago and have a heated garage. This winter has been really cold as I'm sure some of you have seen on the news. I started looking on this forum for a better way to get my door to seal. Specifically the top and sides. The bottom of my garage door seems to be ok. The sides and top however, you could always see a little light coming through. I have the vinyl seals on the outside and while they do a good job I knew I there had to be a way to make it better. So, after searching on here I saw a couple posts where guys had mentioned Green Hinges ( http://www.greenhingeofamerica.com/ ). So I looked them up.

I wrote to the company via the webpage with a couple questions and I think the next day got a call from Lester (the owner). My major concern was whether this hinge could cause my door to bind and if the vinyl seal on the outside would be effected. Lester assured me that I had nothing to worry about. The springs in the hinge are not so strong as to effect door up/down performance or the seal on the outside. He also assured me that if I didn't like that things he'd be willing to take them back. That comforted me so I bit.

I have two doors, a 16' x 7' and 8' x 7' both 4 panel. So I had to order two 4 panel kits. One commercial grade for the big door and one residential for the smaller one. Installation was as easy as removing the old hinges via 4 bolts (each) and putting them back on in the same place as the old hinge (one at a time of course). For both doors I guess it probably took me an hour...maybe less.

Anyway, I'm shocked. The light on the sides of the doors is pretty much gone. I have one section now that has a tiny bit at the very bottom of the door..and I mean tiny. The other 99% of the problem areas are now sealed! As for the tops of the doors, the hinges won't take care of that...and Lester the owner, told me ahead of time that it wouldn't. The springs just can't do that, they aren't strong enough and if they were the garage door would bind. So, the tops will still have to be sealed up but I've already ordered a seal for that.

Back to the hinges. As a side benefit. It made my door quieter. The panels or rollers would rattle when going from vertical to horizontal going down/up. Now they still make a little noise but there is a significant difference! The spring holds the roller to the track like a shock absorber would. I have to say I'm impressed. With my bedroom right above my garage, and me working nights sometimes...the quieter the door is the better. I already have the side mount liftmaster to quiet things down but these new hinges helped even more. I have to say this was a benefit I didn't really think about but am very pleased with!

So, like I said at the start of this...I don't normally review things or give praise via forums but this hinge really works and I thought I should say something. If your looking to seal the sides of your garage doors fairly easily and for what I thought was a fair price you should check these out. I don't work for these guys and I'm not getting a discount or something for saying I like them. This is just my honest opinion and I wanted to pass along what I thought were really good results from a good USA company. I'm actually going to forward this link to the owner of green hinges and see if I can get him on here to answer questions you guys might have. Good luck and I hope this helps someone!!!! I've also attached some pictures of the hinges installed. If you have questions for me let me know. I'm not an expert on these things but I'll help any way I can.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hinges1.jpg (7.2 KB, 758 views)
File Type: jpg Hinges2.jpg (7.8 KB, 708 views)
File Type: jpg Hinges3.jpg (10.1 KB, 868 views)
dirtymoe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #2
dirtymoe77

Default Re: Garage Door Hinges sealed my door!

One thing to add....The customer service from these guys is second to none. They even called me after I got the hinges to see if the install went ok or if I had any questions. Can you remember the last time a company did that???? Really cool
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #3
Bill Bowman

Thanks for the heads up. I may have to check them out. Bill
Bill Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:03 PM   #4
66HertzClone
Alliance Member

Thanks for posting this, I've got three new Clopay doors that will be installed soon so I will be giving these serious consideration.

My Mustang

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

You are entitled to your own opinions, but not to your own facts

I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake.

Home, home again, I like to be there when I can

Ignorance is bliss, but stupidity is orgasmic

Great thoughts overwhelm a feeble mind

Quote:
She does have a great rack...

-Raccoon-
66HertzClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #5
Overlord66

How well will they seal in heavy winds? Does the spring have quite a bit of pressure?
Overlord66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:34 PM   #6
jstroede

Yes the springs have quite a bit of pressure. I got samples of these several years ago and they have been sitting on my desk ever since. They are very well made, I will give them that. The price tag is very high though, and they will not work with all garage doors, especially those with a pinch resistant design. The other downside to them is that over time, I think they will end up causing the paint to be rubbed off of some sections due to the pressure exerted by the spring and the extreme amount of rubbing that occurs as the door goes up (trim alone set too tight will cause this, and I think these would be even worse). I understand what they do, but I just don't see the big need for them with properly installed weather seals.

John
Old 01-24-2014, 05:05 PM   #7
dirtymoe77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord66 View Post
How well will they seal in heavy winds? Does the spring have quite a bit of pressure?
I haven't really had an issue with wind that I've noticed. The only place I've noticed air getting by is on the top of the door
Old 01-24-2014, 05:11 PM   #8
dirtymoe77

"price tag is very high"

$85 for a set is very high? Something must be wrong with me cause I thought this was a pretty fair price for this project. Rarely do you get to do a home upgrade for less than $100....Hell, I just put in some LED light bulbs and it cost me more to do that than my garage door!
Old 01-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #9
Overlord66

Out track is set back a bit in the middle and with the winds we get will push open a 1/4 gap on the side. If the hinges would help seal the door shut it would be work the $85.00.
Overlord66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:42 PM   #10
Streetbu

I understand how they work and I think someone is going to make some money off of these. I had the same issue on my 16x7 door and chased air leaks around for several months. I ended up replacing the weatherstrip on the bottom of the door, and installed new outside weatherstripping. This helped but I still had the gap especially when the wind blew. I merely installed washers as spacers between the door and the hinge across the whole door and on 3 sets of hinges out of the 5. Works like a charm. If you want to seal your door up just use shims/washers like I did. Cost for the washers was around $7 total.

Last edited by Streetbu; 01-24-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Streetbu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:47 PM   #11
hairy olds

I have tried the washer fix. I think these will do a better job. I'm calling on monday for more info.
hairy olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:59 PM   #12
jstroede

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymoe77 View Post
"price tag is very high"

$85 for a set is very high? Something must be wrong with me cause I thought this was a pretty fair price for this project. Rarely do you get to do a home upgrade for less than $100....Hell, I just put in some LED light bulbs and it cost me more to do that than my garage door!
For 6 hinges? That's pretty expensive in my book, but maybe you work on a different budget than me. Also these aren't exactly new. I don't remember when I got my sample but it was at least 3 years ago.

John
Old 01-24-2014, 10:11 PM   #13
jstroede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetbu View Post
I understand how they work and I think someone is going to make some money off of these. I had the same issue on my 16x7 door and chased air leaks around for several months. I ended up replacing the weatherstrip on the bottom of the door, and installed new outside weatherstripping. This helped but I still had the gap especially when the wind blew. I merely installed washers as spacers between the door and the hinge across the whole door and on 3 sets of hinges out of the 5. Works like a charm. If you want to seal your door up just use shims/washers like I did. Cost for the washers was around $7 total.
Basically all you are doing by shimming the hinges is pushing the door closer to the weatherstrip. You can accomplish the same thing by adjusting the track closer to the wall or moving the weatherstrip closer to the door.

It takes a little time to install the weatherstrip correctly and adjust it to the door. If you first put it up without fully pounding in the nails, you can move it until you get the best fit. Simply nailing it up on the edge of the jamb isn't going to produce the optimum fit in most cases.

John
Old 01-24-2014, 10:25 PM   #14
Streetbu

I would've but my track is NOT adjustable. It is riveted in place to the brackets that space it from the front wall. When I replaced the outside weatherstripping I installed it closer to the door so it would seal better but when the wind blows at my house, it blows! Have farm field all around me and nothing to block it. I've registered 63mph STEADY winds at my house. I also had to install support braces on EVERY panel because they flex so much in the wind... This isn't my first rodeo.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:44 PM   #15
jstroede

Riveted track can be converted to adjustabe pretty easily as long as you use the correct bolts after you drill out the rivets. I HATE riveted track, but a lot of installers like it because it is faster to put up and get to the next job.

John
Old 01-24-2014, 10:53 PM   #16
Streetbu

I hear ya, It's what was there when I bought the place though so until I win the lottery...
Old 01-24-2014, 10:55 PM   #17
JoeGarageHand

The colder it gets outside the larger the gap I get between my garage door and the seals. Anyone else experience this? I am leaning towards the brush seal solution for this.
JoeGarageHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:45 PM   #18
p_mori7

The vinyl or rubber seals do wear out over time as the door rubs against them going up/down. Would it not have been possible to replace the weather seals instead ?

Normally the new seals come with an extruded plastic moulding, the center section pops off. You take the old seal off, snug up the new ones against the door, screw them on with some 1" screws, snap the center section back on, done.

But those are very nice hinges ! and I can see how they would also make a door quieter by preventing the panels from rattling in the tracks.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:40 AM   #19
dirtymoe77

Everyone has valid points here. I'll add my two cents once again. Sure we can reinvent the wheel by looking for other solutions and you can shim and adjust all you want to make things work for you. Sounds great. My tracks are riveted and this solution took my about an hour from start to finish. Problem solved...do it how you want. I personally don't have a lot of free time to be messing around. I installed these and it solved my problem and made my door quieter. I'm really happy with the solution and just wanted to let you guys know about it. It's obviously not for everyone but they worked great for me.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:56 AM   #20
Higgins

DM,

Thanks for the post. I have the same issue as you. I'm probably 25 miles north of you and live near the corn fields... Looks like a good solution to me without spending lots of time drilling out all those rivets to adjust the track. I will still end up with the shitty OEM rollers, and will still be noisy!

So for less than $100, it's a no brainier.......

AL
Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote