Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-29-2014, 09:12 PM   #1
Kevin C

Default Parking lot scrape

My car got scraped while parked. Unbelievably, the person left a note with contact info!

Little old lady... She felt really bad about it. She asked if she could just pay me to have the car fixed VS going through her insurance company.

The car is a 2000 Passat... First time its been scraped.

I will get an estimate tomorrow. No sheet metal damage, just looks to be paint take off the bumper. I'm guessing about $500 to refinish the bumper.

Opinions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG2084.jpg (148.1 KB, 257 views)

Last edited by Kevin C; 01-29-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Kevin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:15 PM   #2
e-tek

Default Re: Parking lot scrape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
My car got scraped while parked. Unbelievably, the person left a not with contact info!

Little old lady... She felt really bad about it. She asked if she could just pay me to have the car fixed VS going through her insurance company.

The car is a 2000 Passat... First time its been scraped.

I will get an estimate tomorrow. No sheet metal damage, just looks to be paint take off the bumper. I'm guessing about $500 to refinish the bumper.

Opinions?
Nice of you to tell a story of someone nice, doing what's right. Too bad that kind of story is so BORING - LOL!!

e-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-29-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
Red Green

My thoughts are I wouldn't worry about those scratches. But then again most cars around here over 10 years old are rusted out beaters.

"Unlike love respect can't be bought" H. Simpson
Red Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:26 PM   #4
Morrison

It adds character to your car. I wouldn't bother fixing it, tell the old lady a blow job will cover it.
Morrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:27 PM   #5
NHBandit

A good amount of that may be paint from her car and might come off. Naturally the black you see is the bare plastic of your bumper and there is paint missing in that area. It's a 14 year old car. For around $10-$12 you can have the paint scanned at any good auto body supply place and enough paint to hide that mixed & put into a spray can. Get an estimate for what ? Let the old lady off easy and fix it yourself. She could have just as easily done what alot of people these days would do and simply left. $500 to a little old lady who maybe is trying to survive on a Social Security check is 2 months worth of groceries. She did the right thing.. will you ?

Last edited by NHBandit; 01-29-2014 at 09:32 PM.
NHBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:35 PM   #6
91bronc300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
It adds character to your car. I wouldn't bother fixing it, tell the old lady a blow job will cover it.
LMAO that made me stumble clear from the computer room to the kitchen and back again laughing my ass off
91bronc300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:44 PM   #7
ybnormal70

Why would accepting a lesser quality repair be the right thing? This was at no fault of his own and the car should be repaired to the condition it was previously. Yeah don't try to get a whole new paint job out of it, but to have the bumper properly repaired by a professional is well within his rights. She has the option to go through insurance if she doesn't have the money.

L8r,

Kevin
ybnormal70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:51 PM   #8
91bronc300

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybnormal70 View Post
Why would accepting a lesser quality repair be the right thing? This was at no fault of his own and the car should be repaired to the condition it was previously. Yeah don't try to get a whole new paint job out of it, but to have the bumper properly repaired by a professional is well within his rights. She has the option to go through insurance if she doesn't have the money.

L8r,

Kevin
Nothing wrong with thinking that way I suppose but why not just let stuff like that roll of your back instead? It's only paint.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:53 PM   #9
kiatech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91bronc300 View Post
Nothing wrong with thinking that way I suppose but why not just let stuff like that roll of your back instead? It's only paint.
This is bait.
kiatech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:54 PM   #10
Scott H in Wheaton

Eh, mask it off and shoot it with a can of Duplicolor, then tell the old lady to bake you some chocolate chip cookies. Better yet, see if she has any old tools or an old car in the garage...
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:56 PM   #11
Morrison

If it was my car i would probably be driving it till it's dead. Since it's already 14 years old you're not going to get much selling it. A little paint damage on the bumper isn't that big of a deal.

If it was some dumbass kid with an attitude that hit me then i would make them fix it up.
Morrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:01 PM   #12
91bronc300

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiatech View Post
This is bait.
Bait for an argument? I was just stating my opinion that if it were me I wouldn't even spend the time to fix it. Just call the old lady and tell her to forget about it. It's plastic, what's it going to do, rust?
Old 01-29-2014, 10:07 PM   #13
Bighead38

I drive a beater to work. I've gotten hit 3 times this year because of people sucking at driving. All 3 have been older woman. The first 2 were just a paint scratch and maybe a tiny ding. The last one the front bumper plastic ended up with a hole in it because it was so cold. All 3 were very apologetic and you could tell it was truly an accident. All 3 wanted to give insurance info and get a police report. For me it just wasn't worth the hassle, I dd a beater so I don't have to worry about scratches and dings. I told all 3 don't bother just be more careful.

If the car is in really good shape I could see wanting it fixed. If there's other scratches or dings my vote is cut the lady a break. Maybe the one guy above is right and she has old tools or cars tucked away.
Bighead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:17 PM   #14
Kevin C

I have owned it since new, that is the only scratch on it. That and its completely rust free. Seven years in California, seven in Oregon (no road salt).

Turbo, five speed, HD sway bars, extra sound deadening ( a few years ago I pulled the interior to install a fair amount of Dynamat), heated leather seats and in perfect condition. I just picked up a wide band ECU ( ME7.5) so I can bump the HP up a little without having to chip it.

Kind of attached to the car.

Its clean enough that I get still get comments about it. I have a beater that needs paint, this is supposed to be the clean car. So yes it gets fixed.

As to whats right, when I bumped my wifes 2002 Honda with my 4WD ( parking when driving left footed since I had a cast on the right foot... My bad). I shelled out $650 for a new bumper cover and paint work.

We may not have new cars, but the ones we have are clean. I'm going for back to what is was before the scrape.

Mostly curious about settling this without going through insurance.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:21 PM   #15
onewheat

It would depend on the car and your attitude towards it. I have only had one beater in my life - that one I would have let it go. All of my other cars I have fixed up if they were beaters when I bought them and I wouldn't drive a car with a scrape like that on it now, 14 years old or not. I keep my cars nice and when I sell them, they are still nice - just usually high mileage. I'd fix it.
onewheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:23 PM   #16
NHBandit

Quote:

L8r,

Kevin
Just to be clear I'm not one of the guys saying to just leave it like it is. I suggested having a spray can of the exact color mixed up professionally by a body shop supply store. It's a common quick fix for this type of minor damage, anyone with basic common sense can scuff it and spray it so it dosn't show, and the cost is under $20 bucks. There dosn't appear to be any damage to the bumper other than paint loss. If there was a hole, a severe scrape, or something like that it would require a pro. This does not. This is the garage journal is it not ? Touching up that spot is a half hour deal. If Kevin dosn't think he has the ability to do it I'm betting a 12 pack of beer could get him someone who does. In any case it's too bad it happened and no matter how old a car is the very first bit of damage is always a bummer. Let us know what you decide.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:34 PM   #17
stupid name

Quote:

L8r,

Kevin
This is whats wrong with society today. Its not about his "rights" its about doing the right thing. If I felt like the above, I would be embarrassed to call myself a man and my wife would be ashamed of me.

Lets see.....

14 year old car worth about $2500
Little old lady (maybe your grandmother) that did the right thing.
Damage that can be fixed with a little sandpaper and duplicolor match paint for about $10 and hour of time. Fix it (or not). Tell her not to worry about it, reap cookie rewards, and sleep well at night knowing that you saved some little old lady stress that she doesnt need.

Last edited by stupid name; 01-29-2014 at 10:38 PM.
stupid name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:42 PM   #18
Kevin C

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBandit View Post
If Kevin dosn't think he has the ability to do it I'm betting a 12 pack of beer could get him someone who does. In any case it's too bad it happened and no matter how old a car is the very first bit of damage is always a bummer. Let us know what you decide.
The missing paint goes around the edge, so if its blended, the blend has to be on the rear face.

Base coat - clear coat, metallic paint with a blend in using a spray cans? No, I cant do that have have it look right or match the rest of the car.

I also cant lay an even coat down on a full bumper using spray cans. The cans are way to slow to ever get it right on a large surface.

I can refinish the entire bumper and have it look perfect using a standard paint gun with a couple of hours or prep. But, I would rather pay to have it done.

BTW, she told me that she is getting her car fixed and paying cash to do it.

EDIT... I cant afford a new car for a while, so I'm making due. That includes keeping my older car in nice shape. If I was going to guess, she probably has more in her checking account than I do.

Last edited by Kevin C; 01-29-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:45 PM   #19
themiller

I'm just glad you're not shooting her!
themiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:50 PM   #20
Super Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupid name View Post
This is whats wrong with society today. Its not about his "rights" its about doing the right thing. If I felt like the above, I would be embarrassed to call myself a man and my wife would be ashamed of me.
The "right" thing would be to fix the car and make it look like it never happened.

I understand both sides, and if it's a beater I'd let it go myself. However, that really isn't the "right" thing. She damaged it, and the only "right" thing to do is fix the damage.
Super Sport is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parking lot scrape