Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-09-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
rcleaver

Default I want to consider several ways of building a garage 40 x 60 x 16

I've been looking at a number of alternatives for buiding a new garage:
- stick built (2"x6" on 2' centers)
- red iron steel frame (20' bays)
- light gauge steel frame (same spacing as stick built)
- post and beam (6"x6" beams)
- socketsys.com steel connectors for wood (same as post/beam)

If I assume DIY (free) labor to frame it, stick built is least cost. I've created a spreadsheet with actual costs.

The time and effort to build varies, but I don't care too much about that because I have plenty of time now.

Anyone got any different conclusions?
rcleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
akdiesel
Alliance Member

Default Re: I want to consider several ways of building a garage 40 x 60 x 16

For the wood frame I would stick with the 16" centers. Attaching cabinets or other items to the walls will be difficult for proper support due to lack of attachment points and just makes them simply stronger.
akdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-09-2008, 08:09 PM   #3
Matti

I would check on the cost/availability of wood trusses for a 40 foot span.
Matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #4
rcleaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by akdiesel View Post
For the wood frame I would stick with the 16" centers. Attaching cabinets or other items to the walls will be difficult for proper support due to lack of attachment points and just makes them simply stronger.
I would agree if I didn't know where the cabinets were going. But I do (back wall), and I will either change the spacing or put in some lateral supports. In my current garage I screwed a 2"x4" to the wall as a support ledge and now I don't worry about how much weight I put in them (42" tall cabinets).
Old 10-09-2008, 08:19 PM   #5
rcleaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
I would check on the cost/availability of wood trusses for a 40 foot span.
I already did and priced them into my spreadsheet for the stick built alternative.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:22 PM   #6
Ezzie

When I built my 60' x 100' x 16' I evaluated stick built vs. pole vs. steel and came to the conclusion stick built (with 16" centers as indicated above) was the best solution if any insulating and internal build out is going to be done. Steel was cheaper but the labour cost to erect it put it more expensive in the end. Cost (including a 5" slab and full 4' foundation/frost walls) worked out to be in the $20-25 psf range. 60' trusses were used for a total unobstructed free span.

Documentation of the build here:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ght=the+hangar
Ezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:14 PM   #7
rcleaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezzie View Post
When I built my 60' x 100' x 16' I evaluated stick built vs. pole vs. steel and came to the conclusion stick built (with 16" centers as indicated above) was the best solution if any insulating and internal build out is going to be done. Steel was cheaper but the labour cost to erect it put it more expensive in the end. Cost (including a 5" slab and full 4' foundation/frost walls) worked out to be in the $20-25 psf range. 60' trusses were used for a total unobstructed free span.

Documentation of the build here:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ght=the+hangar
Excellent series of posts. But I think that using 16" centers might make the socketsys.com approach less (at today's higher wood prices). I'll have to check it out.

Has anyone build a socketsys building? I can't seem to get any answers to my messages from them. Are they still in business?
Old 10-09-2008, 10:51 PM   #8
carcruse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezzie View Post
That's similar to mine only it's 40x60x13.
Here's a picture lifting one wall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garage southwallstartlift.jpg (60.8 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg garage may0011.jpg (60.2 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by carcruse; 10-09-2008 at 10:54 PM.
carcruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:13 AM   #9
akdiesel
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcleaver View Post
Excellent series of posts. But I think that using 16" centers might make the socketsys.com approach less (at today's higher wood prices). I'll have to check it out.

Has anyone build a socketsys building? I can't seem to get any answers to my messages from them. Are they still in business?

There is one individual on this site that has built one. I can't remember his name but you can search the Gallery section for it. I think he said he got it off of Craigslist.
akdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:07 PM   #10
M. MYERS

40 x60 x 14 block with metal roofing with closed cell foam sprayed with flame coating.

still working but will get it done.

mel

Give a man a fish
Feed him for a DAY

Teach a man to fish
Feed him for LIFE

M. MYERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:21 PM   #11
rcleaver

Exclamation Re: I want to consider several ways of building a garage 40 x 60 x 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. MYERS View Post
40 x60 x 14 block with metal roofing with closed cell foam sprayed with flame coating.

still working but will get it done.

mel
Looks good! Would you care to describe it more? It looks like C channel uprights and rafters, but the uprights don't fully engage the rafters? Is that right? I don't think I've seen anything like it. Also, why did you pick a block wall? That must have been a bear to install!
Old 10-15-2008, 08:07 AM   #12
bluesman2a

Quote:
D110Pickup on this board has one. While I would not presume to speak for him, I know there were some structural/support issues. I was also very keen on this approach, but based on the additional work he had to do (bracing), I don't think the system is for me. On the plus side he has a VERY nice finished product.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=10218

I did many of the same comparisons, when I was looking at my build. I wound up goinf stick-built cause it was easier to find a contractor, and because I was adding to an existing structure. If I were to do it again from a clean slate, I would do it as a pole-barn.
bluesman2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:50 AM   #13
rcleaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman2a View Post
D110Pickup on this board has one. While I would not presume to speak for him, I know there were some structural/support issues. I was also very keen on this approach, but based on the additional work he had to do (bracing), I don't think the system is for me. On the plus side he has a VERY nice finished product.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=10218

I did many of the same comparisons, when I was looking at my build. I wound up goinf stick-built cause it was easier to find a contractor, and because I was adding to an existing structure. If I were to do it again from a clean slate, I would do it as a pole-barn.
I read the whole thing carefully. Then I contacted the company. After they blew me off twice, I finally got a rambling document that was virtually unintelligible and didn't answer my questions. So I tried one at a time. First I asked about a 40' span. The answer I got was to use steel rafters. That convinced me to look elsewhere. Whew!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-16-2008, 09:32 PM   #14
rcleaver

Quote:
I read the whole thing carefully. Then I contacted the company. After they blew me off twice, I finally got a rambling document that was virtually unintelligible and didn't answer my questions. So I tried one at a time. First I asked about a 40' span. The answer I got was to use steel rafters. That convinced me to look elsewhere. Whew!!!!!!!!!!!
I also looked at open web steel trusses, with straight and web uprights.

I think I'll just use 2"x6"x16' studs and 2"x4" storage trusses, all 2' OC. Actual framing cost is just under $5k.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:42 PM   #15
kbs2244

Check into the idea of using 2 eight foot 2x6 studs with a 4 foot “patch” to hold them together.
It may or may not be code in your area, but sticks get more expensive as they get longer.
Is one 16 footer going to cost more than 2.5 eight footers?
kbs2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:55 PM   #16
rcleaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs2244 View Post
Check into the idea of using 2 eight foot 2x6 studs with a 4 foot “patch” to hold them together.
It may or may not be code in your area, but sticks get more expensive as they get longer.
Is one 16 footer going to cost more than 2.5 eight footers?
At today's prices, that would save less than $100 and increase the labor costs.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:02 PM   #17
kbs2244

I didn't think of the labor factor.
I was thinking DIY.
kbs2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:05 PM   #18
M. MYERS

12x32 "I" beams columns going from ground to 12x32 "I" beams cross beams, wirh 8" purlings running the 40' way. each end of the beams are inbedded in the 40' wall and each end of the purlins are inbedded into the 60' wall front and back. The closed cell foam is like a glue bonding the steel roof to the purlings. went in it to check on things durning the gustav storm and except for the 42" opening where a exaust fan is going to go on the back wall you couldn't tell it was a storm going on. The walls have a bond beam every five foot going bottom to top and every 5 foot going from left to right. I might have over built it but didn't want to do it over again. I have the driveway poured and am working on the final grading on the land. Will move everthing out this weekend to start prepping the floor for the 100% solid epoxy going on the floor. Having of mine who is a qc inspector for a major coating supplier help me with the floor. he said we will put 3 coats on total 1st will be thinned 40% to let it soak into the concrete. He says that a lot of people put the first coat on too thick and it does not get a "tooth" into the cement. I don't know but he is the expert so I will listen to him, after all he is furnishing the "samples" to coat the floor with. I will look in the motor home shed and get the name and type of coating and post. as soon as I get time I will shoot some more photos and post on my link. Sorry I took up so much space on your post.

mel

Give a man a fish
Feed him for a DAY

Teach a man to fish
Feed him for LIFE

M. MYERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:21 AM   #19
rcleaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs2244 View Post
I didn't think of the labor factor.
I was thinking DIY.
I understand. Even with DIY labor it's more work. But I also just don't think that's worth doing even with DIY labor. All you need is one bad patch to compromise the structural integrity.