Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Flooring

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-16-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
mike944

Default any way to seal dusty concrete?

Hey guys,

Is there any kind of coaring we can put over a dusty floor, to get the dust to stop? It's not my floor, they're not interested in grinding, or even getting any great finish. just want something to make the dust stop without putting in a lot of work to apply it.

Floor is probably 75-85 years old, in halfway decent shape (except for the dust of course)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike

'92 Porsche 968
'01 VW Jetta TDi
mike944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
Mussel Kar

Default Re: any way to seal dusty concrete?

Find out why it is dusting. Usually caused by poorly cured concrete. Get something and scrape a small area. If you can easily dig in the surface is soft, hence the continous dusting. Don't have an answer though.
Mussel Kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-16-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
AlphaGarage

Wolverine Coatings is just about set to offer their AcryliSeal 3501for DIY use. Prep is real easy - most jobs just need to spot degrease and pressure wash, then apply the sealer. 5 mils wet, ready to walk on in a few hours. Pricing is still being worked out, but should be about $180 for 5 gallons, good for about 1,600 sq ft at one coat.

They may not be interested in the finish, but just is case it drys to a somewhat glossy, wet look. Pretty attractive.

Besides eliminating the dust, as an added benefits it makes sweeping a lot easier and most spills just wipe up.

Although it wears and protects as well as solvent based sealers, it's water based, so we'll be able to sell and ship to any location.

Should have final release okay in a few days.
Fred@AlphaGarage.com 877-333-GARAGE (4272)

<br><br>

Last edited by AlphaGarage; 11-16-2008 at 11:49 AM.
AlphaGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:39 AM   #4
PAToyota

Send a message via AIM to PAToyota

Any concrete will dust to some extent - but if it is dusting heavily then there is likely a problem with the concrete as MK pointed out.

Cheap solution (if no serious problems) is a coat of boiled linseed oil sprayed on with a garden sprayer.
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:19 AM   #5
madman

Just go to your industrial Suppliers, buy Gallon Concrete sealer (I think only comes in 5 gallon can for $150 dollars) then follow directions, I usually pressure wash let dry apply sealer let dry there you are sealed up. ZI do tjhis every Year. Good luck remember follow directions from Retailer use safety equipment.
madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:50 PM   #6
thegarageguy

A dusty concrete floor is not uncommon. In my professional opinion, your floor needs to be prepped properly, I prefer diamond grinding ( because its the machines I have).

Then I would guess since the slab is very old that the moisture barrier is old or maybe not even existent. Therefore I would use 2 coats of waterbase breathable epoxy. This way you can have your dustfree floor and have a good stain resistance without fear of delamination. Better than any acrylic sealer and will last a hell of a lot longer. Less maintanance, higher chemical resistance, BREATHABLE and cost effective. A professional would most likely charge $2-$3 depending on current slab conditions.

www.bodenkraft.com
Serving NY, NJ & CT

Follow us on:
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Bodenkraft
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/Bodenkraft
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/bodenkraft/
Instagram: http://instagram.com/bodenkraft
thegarageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:33 PM   #7
jettago

I've used Mop and glow (floor wax) to minimize the dust. Its a cheap and easy solution.
jettago is offline   Reply With Quote