Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-23-2014, 11:55 PM   #1
bagged89s10

Default Veeps' Garage

So I've decided to change the name one last time to "Veeps' Garage." It's a much simpler name and I can stick with it.

Previously, I named my Garage "The Little Vintage Garage." It all started when I re-purposed my knotty pine kitchen cabinets into my Garage. I installed them along the entire left wall of my garage making 2 workbenches. Then I acquired my first vintage US made power tool, a 1940s Duro Metal Drill Press. I fell in love with old american iron and It snowballed from there. Now I've started buying and selling vintage tools as a hobby and a way to fund my garage project. Once I finish organizing my garage, I will start working on my audi blue painted 1989 Chevy S10 pickup which I've already built a one off chassis on air ride. I hope you Enjoy the thread!

Current view. Almost as clean as I want it. A few things still need a home but I'm much happier.

Current view. A little messy but nice and bright with the lighting finally installed.

12/17/2016

4/12/15

The top of the cabinets is being used for lumber storage for now. My plan is to put a 24" deep shelf for storage bins and put lighting underneath.

Here is my Wilton 9-500 vise. It's not bolted down yet but I am planning to make sliding mount so the vise can be pushed to the back of the workbench when not in use.

My Duro Metal Products V-3080 drill Press. Motor is not installed in this picture.

This is my smaller workbench on the same wall to the left, next to the garage door. It's separated from the main bench by a door. The vacuum will be moved to the left of the electric box. The small toolbox is going to be moved. I think the larger toolbox might be moved too. Not sure but I think it's a waste of bench top space with the toolbox on there. Then I can also put my Parker 974 on the left of this bench. This bench also houses my air compressor and will have hidden air hose and electrical cord reels.

Updated 6/27/15

My newest addition and much needed parts organizer.

The 1970s craftsman boxes

And the cheap light duty parts cabinet that fits perfectly next to the cabinet. Also finally got all the drawers into the cabinets.

I've been browsing the forum for years but have not posted my garage. I have to say that there are some amazing garages on here and the ideas i've gotten are fantastic.

So I have a 20x22 attached garage on a ranch style house. Inside is about 21' deep x 19' wide with 8'8" tall ceilings. Not a terrible size but lacking organization. I also don't have a shed yet so I use the garage for all my garden tools and my son's outdoor toys.

So here are the pics of the house and garage.

I bought it 6 years ago with ugly faded vinyl siding/shutters and peeling paint on the doors. The 2 windows on the left are the garage and the driveway is in the back

Here is the house now after I painted the exterior and redid the landscape with my wife. A few details are still left but I'm very happy with the results thus far.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg house front before.JPG (52.3 KB, 2766 views)
File Type: jpg house front after.JPG (140.4 KB, 2747 views)
File Type: jpg house left.jpg (48.7 KB, 2668 views)
File Type: jpg house right.JPG (98.1 KB, 2628 views)
File Type: jpg garage outside.JPG (140.9 KB, 2596 views)
File Type: jpg house back.JPG (116.9 KB, 2687 views)
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428790015.997654.jpg (144.7 KB, 13257 views)

Last edited by bagged89s10; 06-16-2017 at 08:02 PM.
bagged89s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:18 AM   #2
bagged89s10

Default Re: My little attached 20x22 budget renovation

So i just finished up the majority of my exterior house projects so it's time to de-clutter and get the garage setup the way I want it.

Here is the mess.

I can't get anything done with a garage looking like this. It's become a dumping ground and I can never find my tools. The mess is actually the perfect excuse for me to work on the garage as I don't have a place I can finish the other house projects. I have a half way built pull out kitchen pantry but no room to finish it. I think the wife bought it.

All the garden tools. This is after i went thru and threw out all the crap I didn't need. I'll be storing the wheel barrow on the wall and making hangers for the weed wacker, leaf blower, rakes, shovels, etc. I don't have a shed so all these will have to stay for now.

Here is my truck which is under buried in there somewhere
http://garagejournal.com/forum/attac...1&d=1403586738
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garden tools.jpg (54.0 KB, 2721 views)
File Type: jpg mytruck.jpg (75.6 KB, 1068 views)
File Type: jpg garage mess.JPG (114.4 KB, 2776 views)
Old 06-24-2014, 12:33 AM   #3
bagged89s10

So now some progress. I'm trying to spend as little as possible by reusing old cabinets and shelving. I've been working on the garage for about a week now, a few hours a night. We gutted the kitchen a few years back so I saved all the old cabinets. They were custom built ins back in 1955 when the house wars built so It was a struggle removing them without destroying them. I had these cabinets just vertically sitting on the floor of the garage taking up space since I never had the motivation to hang them.

Got these hung last week. I used one of the old shelves as a cleat which was at the perfect height. I didn't remove the shelf yet because I used it to throw some tools on while I was going thru everything. I'll remove it in the next few days and then decide on what to do with that space. Not sure if I will just put a small shelf there or make hanging tool storage.

I had a craftsman cord reel and vac that were not hung up so i wired up an outlet and hung these. I had the electric upgraded when i bought the house from 100amp fuses to 200amp breaker panel with this subpanel in the garage. I needed a 220v outlet for my welder and plasma cutter. I have a feeling I'll be moving these around before I complete the renovation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garage upper cabinets.JPG (121.3 KB, 2305 views)
File Type: jpg vac and cord reel.JPG (112.3 KB, 2428 views)
Old 06-24-2014, 12:46 AM   #4
bagged89s10

Yesterday I hung up one of the old shelves on the back wall and started using 5 gallon buckets for storage and labeling them. I have a ton of buckets from when my wife was running a part time florist in our basement. The other shelf that is under the cabinets will go about 16" under this one. I can fit exactly seven 5 gallon buckets if i want to on these 7' long shelfs. The original owner of the house seemed to be handy and made that cord hanger on the wall under the shelf. I might be able to modify it a bit and use it to hang my welder and plasma cutter cables.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg top shelf.JPG (105.3 KB, 2324 views)
Old 06-24-2014, 01:18 AM   #5
bagged89s10

Tonight I mocked up the lower cabinets.

I'm thinking of putting my 5 drawer craftsman bottom toolbox in that space between the 2 cabinets and placing my 5 drawer upper cabinet on the bench where i have the 2 small upper cabinets. I think that will save a lot of space since i don't have the need to roll around my toolbox.

I have to make some cabinet filler strips on the upper cabinets and one for the lower right cabinet. I also have to cut the bottom back of the lower cabinets to fit over the 8" tall concrete lip.

I do need to epoxy the floor but I need grind the floor first. I'll have grind one side, roll my truck over to the other side on dollies, then grind the other side. My driveway is on a slight hill and the truck doesn't run under it's own power or have brakes so I can roll it out. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do with that rough concrete lip? It's too rough and uneven to use an angle grinder with a diamond wheel. I don't really want to mess with chemical strippers if I can avoid it. Other than that, I have a rustoleum epoxy shield kit that is a probably 5 years old because I never got to do it. It's never been opened. Do you think it would go bad? Or should I just go to Home Depot and return it? It looks like they still sell the same one.

I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lower cabinet mockup.JPG (143.9 KB, 2240 views)
File Type: jpg cabinet mockup.JPG (114.3 KB, 2164 views)
File Type: jpg cabinet right side.JPG (98.7 KB, 409 views)
File Type: jpg back of lower cabinets.JPG (124.9 KB, 2127 views)
File Type: jpg garage floor edge.JPG (116.9 KB, 2138 views)
Old 06-24-2014, 01:48 AM   #6
NKlamerus

Not much help with the floor...but I wouldn't fill that wall/cabinet gap above the floor lip.

Those can be the best places for creepers, sheet metal, cable, extension cords, etc...

Otherwise it will be total negative wall space.

And the work on the house looks phenomenal! !
NKlamerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:48 AM   #7
bagged89s10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKlamerus View Post
Not much help with the floor...but I wouldn't fill that wall/cabinet gap above the floor lip.

Those can be the best places for creepers, sheet metal, cable, extension cords, etc...

Otherwise it will be total negative wall space.

And the work on the house looks phenomenal! !
Thanks! Yea I might leave the space on the right lower cabinet. The rest will get closed up when I fit the cabinets over the concrete floor lip.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #8
HSpencer
Alliance Member

What a beautiful and perfect setting. The home is fantastic. Just the style I love and you have it manicured perfectly. The shop will be a big compliment to your home. I am hoping you continue to post your progress. Again, that is a beautiful home and grounds!!

Fantastic!!!

Best Regards
Herb Spencer
Old 06-24-2014, 08:57 AM   #9
bagged89s10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSpencer View Post
What a beautiful and perfect setting. The home is fantastic. Just the style I love and you have it manicured perfectly. The shop will be a big compliment to your home. I am hoping you continue to post your progress. Again, that is a beautiful home and grounds!!

Fantastic!!!

Best Regards
Herb Spencer
I appreciate the compliments. It's a small shy of 1100 sq ft home on about a 1/2 acre. Behind me is a little league field and a senior center so at least no other homes will be built back there. Eventually We want to add a second story. For now we are just working with what we have and doing a little at a time. I'm really excited to finally get my garage done. I'm just trying not to spend much. Right now the only expenses on my list are.

1)Floor sander and diamabrush rental along with needed cleaners. I already have the epoxy which I might need more for a second coat.
2)Few sheets of plywood for the countertop/workbench
3)sunrise red spray paint to paint a few accents to match my craftsman toolbox
4)paint for the walls which I am trying to find some paint reminants to keep the budget down.
5)wiring and lighting will come last as the walls are already sheetrocked and I am going to run it in conduit. At least that's the plan for now and It will be easier to expand outlets and lights that way.

So sander rental, another epoxy kit and plywood are probably the 3 necesities right now. Maybe some 2x4s it the contractor reject pile all Home Depot to strengthen up the cabinets a little.

Less than $300 would be great!

Now I just need another vacation from work to finish it all!

Last edited by bagged89s10; 06-24-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #10
bagged89s10

Threw the toolbox in just now. Not sure if i like the top toolbox on the bench but the bottom one looks really good. Also the paint dried on this cabinet i got for free. Matches pretty good using rustoleum sunset red.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg top toolbox 2.JPG (125.5 KB, 539 views)
File Type: jpg top toolbox 1.JPG (131.5 KB, 497 views)
File Type: jpg bottom toolbox.JPG (105.6 KB, 534 views)
File Type: jpg toolbox in cabinet.JPG (138.5 KB, 559 views)
File Type: jpg cabinet painted to match.JPG (117.6 KB, 559 views)
Old 06-24-2014, 03:12 PM   #11
Honest Bob

Looking good!
Honest Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:26 PM   #12
trialrun

looking good, always a pleasure seeing another CT member on board
trialrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:36 PM   #13
Dominico

Nice!
Dominico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #14
fireeqpsrv
Alliance Member

Looking good. keep updating your progress.

My Open Air Garage
fireeqpsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:34 PM   #15
Sunbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged89s10 View Post
I'm very happy with the results thus far.
Well you should be

Top notch job

Sunbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:46 AM   #16
bagged89s10

Made a quick clamp rack. It's temporary just to get them off the floor. I need to brace it in the center and make some notches so the clamps just fall into place.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (138.4 KB, 14451 views)
Old 06-27-2014, 11:56 AM   #17
bagged89s10

Also found a good use for this cabinet for my jack stands. I'm missing one, at least. I do have to paint the shelf still.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (139.8 KB, 14431 views)
Old 06-27-2014, 03:32 PM   #18
bagged89s10

Threw this cabinet on the back wall to see the fit. I think i'm going to cut off 6" in the back to make it 18" deep. I don't need it to stick out 24", it would just end up collecting junk on the back. I'll overhang the countertop 1" on the front, left, and right. I don't want it too deep as I'll have a 140" workbench on the adjacent wall. I am also going to put it on casters so I can move it around. I also want to make it so i can quick change the tools on it. It will be good use for the drill press, grinder, vise, bead roller, and maybe i can also incorporate my rounter table top somehow. I left just enough room under the red cabinet double thick 3/4" plywood top(1.5") and casters. If i make a quick change top inserts for my tools I can even roll it out side when having a party and use it as a bartop.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (136.9 KB, 1893 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.jpg (137.5 KB, 1876 views)
Old 06-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #19
G McKay

It looks nice. Real nice.
G McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:29 PM   #20
taumac

Nice transformation on house. The floor I would do after you do a lot of the work in garage and get things finalized. I say that because it would get alot of abuse during the build. I like the repurpose of cabinets and like the idea of inserts for the tools. Looking foward to seeing future projects and progress.

5 Stitches Garage
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=211899

Florida Garage Life
Florida Chapter of the Garage Journal

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/g...hp?groupid=117
taumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:52 PM   #21
bagged89s10

Quote:
Originally Posted by G McKay View Post
It looks nice. Real nice.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by taumac View Post
Nice transformation on house. The floor I would do after you do a lot of the work in garage and get things finalized. I say that because it would get alot of abuse during the build. I like the repurpose of cabinets and like the idea of inserts for the tools. Looking foward to seeing future projects and progress.
Thank you. I agree. I plan to get everything major fabbed and the the layout set. Also want to get all my tools off the floor. Then I will rent the floor maintainer with diamabrush and go to town

The biggest tasks that I have left to do.

1)Building the bench around the toolboxes and cabinets. I have my layout set now.
2)build something for my garden tools.(rakes, shovels, trimmer, blower, chainsaw, etc)

3) build storage for my coolers and camping chairs.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:17 PM   #22
taumac

Than casters are best bet. I have everything possible on casters and I didn't break bank. Mine are 2" $2.25 one from Walmart but I got mine before they opened a HF down the road. I come in and hose down my floor and scrub it from time to time. I just wanted my stuff off the floor and be able to roll.

5 Stitches Garage

Florida Garage Life

Old 06-28-2014, 08:50 AM   #23
bagged89s10

Quote:
Than casters are best bet. I have everything possible on casters and I didn't break bank. Mine are 2" $2.25 one from Walmart but I got mine before they opened a HF down the road. I come in and hose down my floor and scrub it from time to time. I just wanted my stuff off the floor and be able to roll.

My main 140" workbench on the wall with upper cabinets will be built in but the smaller one will be on casters.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:17 AM   #24
taumac

That's cool just a suggestion. Whatever you can get on casters will surly help when you do floor

5 Stitches Garage

Florida Garage Life

Old 07-01-2014, 01:02 AM   #25
bagged89s10

Made a screwdriver rack tonight with some scrap wood.
Bored some 1" holes with a smaller hole (I can't remember but maybe 19/64") in the center, the notched out the front. I also drilled smaller holes for smaller screwdrivers closer to to the front edge in between the bored holes.
Lastly routered a little detail. Too bad I don't have all my matching screwdrivers. Does the job and easier to find the right one than being in my toolbox. I might make a second.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (147.9 KB, 4872 views)
Old 07-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #26
bagged89s10

Floor question?

Should I go tan or silver/gray on my floor. I'm thinking light tan/beige walls. I don't know if a tan floor would be too much because the outside of the house is. Goldish/yellow/tan color. But silver/gray might look funny.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:44 PM   #27
taumac

Well, I went with a off white which was close to my house color with white, tan, black flake. That said I would match the house or at least compliment the house colors imo

5 Stitches Garage

Florida Garage Life

Old 07-01-2014, 06:12 PM   #28
bagged89s10

Red face Re: My little attached 20x22 budget renovation

My father gave me this little craftsman box to add to my garage project. I think it will be perfect on the bench with all my drill bits. Trying to mock up so I can frame the workbench with the tool box under it. I disconnected the latch from the top so I don't need to make a lift top on the bench.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (142.5 KB, 4766 views)
Old 07-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #29
taumac

That will turn out to be nice on bench somewhere. Those are always nice to store small odds and ends in.

5 Stitches Garage

Florida Garage Life

Old 07-02-2014, 05:41 PM   #30
bagged89s10

Got a 5 gallon bucket of paint at Sherwin Williams for $75. Perfect off white I wanted. It should brighten up the place. Also got 2 kits of the solvent based rustoleum epoxy floor kits in tan.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (141.8 KB, 4720 views)
Old 01-19-2015, 01:27 PM   #31
bagged89s10

I have not posted in a while but cleared over 10 ft of overgrown brush by my rear property line and then hired a company to cut down 6 trees in the yard this past September. I now have a nice spot to hopefully build a shed this spring and get all the yard equipment and toys out of the garage.

DSC_0389 (2).jpg

DSC_0387 (2).jpg

DSC_0391 (2).jpg

DSC_0395 (2).jpg

DSC_0398 (2).jpg

DSC_0403 (2).jpg

DSC_0404 (2).jpg
Old 01-19-2015, 01:29 PM   #32
bagged89s10

The guys made quick work with their climbing gear.

DSC_0405 (2).jpg

DSC_0406 (2).jpg

DSC_0407 (2).jpg

DSC_0408 (2).jpg

DSC_0410 (2).jpg

DSC_0411 (2).jpg

DSC_0412 (2).jpg
Old 01-19-2015, 01:32 PM   #33
bagged89s10

DSC_0417 (2).jpg

DSC_0419 (2).jpg

DSC_0420 (2).jpg

DSC_0421 (2).jpg

DSC_0424 (2).jpg

DSC_0425 (2).jpg

DSC_0431 (2).jpg
Old 01-19-2015, 01:41 PM   #34
bagged89s10

I spent my shed money but it was well worth paying these guys vs doing it myself. 3 guys+8 hrs+$1000 = better than my killing myself!

It's been a busy fall/winter/holiday season but hoping to get my workbench built soon. I was going to epoxy the floor first but that will have to wait until it's warm again.

DSC_0433 (2).jpg

DSC_0436 (2).jpg

DSC_0437 (2).jpg

DSC_0439 (2).jpg

DSC_0438 (2).jpg

DSC_0449 (2).jpg

DSC_0455 (2).jpg
Old 02-21-2015, 08:34 AM   #35
bagged89s10

Finally some progress on my garage. The lower cabinets are laid out and I bought two 6 foot and one 8 foot butcher block from the local sears parts store for $152. I Got a killer deal. I was going to permanently mount my lower tool chest in the workbench but I am going to keep it a rolling unit. I am going to have extra butcher block left to put on top of the toolchest to have an extra work surface.

The butcher block is 1.5" think x 24" deep but I want a 26" deep workbench. My fix is to take a 2x3 and lay it flat to add 2.5" to the depth.
My Next is to frame out the workbench.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424529146.079368.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424529156.896340.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424529190.779788.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424529212.841189.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424529224.163551.jpg
Old 02-22-2015, 12:07 PM   #36
Honest Bob

Looking good!
Honest Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:28 PM   #37
bagged89s10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Bob View Post
Looking good!

Thank you. It feels good to get back out there and see progress. It's tough making time for it sometimes when you have a family but midnight garage time a few times a week has been working.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:13 AM   #38
bagged89s10

Picked up my vise I left at my parents house and some other tools my dad gave me. I'm lucky that he likes to go garage sale shopping and picks up old tools all the time. And most of the time he just gives them to me since he doesn't need them.

My Wilton vise I bought about 10 years ago. Pretty sure it's made in China but it's a beast and it didn't cost me much. It looked good in my old garage where I everything was gray but doesn't match anything other than my truck. Maybe I'll repaint or sell it if I find a large USA vise for a decent price.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424797757.252710.jpg

Columbian No. 03 1/2 vise. It a nice small vise but missing the swivel base. I can't seem to find any bases for sale yet. Only thing I found was the same vise for $25 on Craigslist.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424797799.174007.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424797843.312232.jpg

Small anvil. Did some research and found the same one on eBay. MILWAUKEE No.300 V58 ANVIL 8 lb 5.6 ozs 8-3/8" LONG 4" HIGH 2" WIDE
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424797906.394114.jpg

Old Craftsman toolbox. Looks like it was for an old drill.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424797952.834857.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424797976.547844.jpg
Old 03-01-2015, 11:16 AM   #39
bagged89s10

Got some work done. Mounted the left lower cabinet and lagged some 2x4s to the wall for the workbench. Next is finishing the frame and legs. I threw the top on before taking pictures but will get better pictures when I finish it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425230117.952213.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425230127.673225.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425230134.842926.jpg
Old 03-01-2015, 12:11 PM   #40
sean Buick 76

Really good work, thanks for sharing!

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...8537&showall=1
sean Buick 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:30 PM   #41
bagged89s10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean Buick 76 View Post
Really good work, thanks for sharing!

Thanks. Hoping to get some more work done on it later tonight.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:50 PM   #42
dgithens1

Really nice job!
dgithens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:11 PM   #43

Looking good!
225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #44
bagged89s10

Default My little attached 20x22 budget renovation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgithens1 View Post
Really nice job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Looking good!

Thanks. It's pretty solid with just the few 2x4s so far. It's going to be super solid when I finish it.

Last edited by bagged89s10; 03-01-2015 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:47 AM   #45
bagged89s10

Some progress pics on one of my benches.

Marked out a curve to fit around the garage door and cut it with a jig saw. Of course my jig saw guide was bent so I had to take that apart and fix it first.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425735599.691585.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425735640.714780.jpg

I think it fits nicely
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425735666.593107.jpg

Got a nice place for the tool chest. The curve needs a little belt sander action but it works for now.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425735706.960826.jpg

I think it came out nice.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425735783.535400.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425735810.298321.jpg

The cabinet is not reinforced with 2x4s, or leveled and mounted to the wall yet, but I had to get my tool chest off the floor and get organized. The curves aren't perfect but they just need a little sanding. And I don't have to worry about my son stabbing his face on the corner of the bench.

This cabinet used to be a sink base from my kitchen so it has fake drawer fronts with vents. I'm thinking of mounting my air compressor in there and making a pull out air tool rack. Then I can mount a hose reel above that tool box.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-07-2015, 09:09 AM   #46
taumac

I think that would be a clever idea to mount hose reel horizontal on inside the cabinet behind that fake drawer and put hinges on the fake drawer. You could flip drawer down pull hose out, use it and put it all away totally hidden.

5 Stitches Garage

Florida Garage Life

Old 03-07-2015, 02:06 PM   #47
bagged89s10

Quote:
I think that would be a clever idea to mount hose reel horizontal on inside the cabinet behind that fake drawer and put hinges on the fake drawer. You could flip drawer down pull hose out, use it and put it all away totally hidden.

I like the hinge idea. I wonder if a hose reel in there at that low height would get annoying when pulling the hose outside. Meaning outside the garage.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:20 AM   #48
taumac

Well just pull hose out first and then pull it to where your going. That's mostly how I use any reel I have.

5 Stitches Garage

Florida Garage Life

Old 03-08-2015, 07:21 AM   #49
bagged89s10

Quote:
Well just pull hose out first and then pull it to where your going. That's mostly how I use any reel I have.

I threw the compressor and reel quickly in the cabinet yesterday. I have a 97 Silverado I'm trying to sell and the starter was having trouble so I had to change it, and it was a perfect time to test the hose location. As the truck is out in the driveway. Having the hose reel low is actually better than hanging high when using it outside the garage. No hose dangling around. I think I'll see if I can mount my electric cord reel in the cabinet too.

I only grabbed a picture of the compressor. It takes up 2/3 of the cabinet. I cut the center stile out in between the 2 left cabinet doors so I can squeeze the compressor in and out if I have to. I am glueing the stile onto one off the doors so you can't tell it's missing.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425817137.874765.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425817145.444022.jpg

Last edited by bagged89s10; 03-08-2015 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:54 AM   #50
Whitey1

Looking good.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:44 PM   #51
taumac

That looks good in there. That would be great if can get electrical reel in there also. I would be sure you add a way to drain that compressor once you have everything set.

5 Stitches Garage

Florida Garage Life

Old 03-08-2015, 12:57 PM   #52
bagged89s10

Quote:
That looks good in there. That would be great if can get electrical reel in there also. I would be sure you add a way to drain that compressor once you have everything set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
Looking good.

Thanks. Yes that's why I made it so I can pull the whole compressor out. But I need to replace the drain valve anyway so I can just plumb it with a flexible hose to make it easier to drain.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:23 PM   #53
bagged89s10

New addition to my garage. A wilton 1760 I got for $40. Dated June 1993.

When I picked it up
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426101633.196185.jpg

During clean up with a wire wheel
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426101669.717002.jpg

Where it will be mounted. Just need to grease it up and then completely reassemble. Need to cut a steel plate for above and under the butcher block before mounting.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426101695.026638.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426101858.626065.jpg
Old 03-12-2015, 08:55 PM   #54
taumac

Great find and nice addition to your place.

5 Stitches Garage

Florida Garage Life

Old 03-17-2015, 05:23 PM   #55
bagged89s10

Picked this guy up for $50.
Craftsman 397.19580 1/3 HP bench grinder.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426630770.658139.jpg
Dated November 29, 1968
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426630881.108337.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426630907.088126.jpg

I'm actually picking up a second block grinder from the 70s. 1/2 HP version with a stand for $75 on Friday. The seller is supposedly holding it for me.

This way I will have one grinder and the other will be setup as a buffer.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:58 PM   #56
taumac

That's I nice grinder. I just got a block grinder too recently. I wish mine had the lamp.

5 Stitches Garage

Florida Garage Life

Old 03-20-2015, 07:26 PM   #57
bagged89s10

Another garage addition. This one is a 1/2 flat top block grinder with a stand I got for $75. Model 397.19340

It needs a new label, left guard/cover, and some fresh paint. The stand is in excellent shape. Came with a cool bulb, quench tray, and this one also runs great.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426897235.249858.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426897352.658611.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426897391.027367.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426897403.250419.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426897409.569883.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426897428.429198.jpg

~Veeps
Old 03-20-2015, 07:44 PM   #58
bagged89s10

Also picked up this athol 623 the other day. And finished my wilton 1760. I just need to make some wilton badges and I need 1 pipe jaw.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426898463.384361.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426898514.195844.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426898539.891504.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426898573.224136.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426898606.924005.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426898617.329318.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426898649.061216.jpg

~Veeps
Old 03-21-2015, 05:43 PM   #60
bagged89s10

Sold my import wilton today.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426977767.385657.jpg

And picked up this beast.

Wilton 9-500 manufactured in 1967.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426977826.996092.jpg

~Veeps
Old 03-30-2015, 08:06 PM   #61
bagged89s10

So I sold the wilton 1760 for $300 even though I wasn't really planning on selling to. The offer was one I couldn't refuse. It allowed me to buy a nice craftsman atlas lathe.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427763803.223524.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427763816.529965.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427763841.645131.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427763861.202161.jpg
Ordered a set of change gears off eBay for $40
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427763870.023356.jpg
Chucked up this cool coffee can and gave it a nice brushed finish.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427763941.809157.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427763951.198413.jpg

~Veeps
Old 03-30-2015, 08:08 PM   #62
bagged89s10

Previous owner said he restored the lathe and rescaled the ways. Although the self feed doesn't work. He said it was working but noticed it wasn't after he listed it for sale. Hopefully just needs a half nut.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427764030.817288.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427764041.373501.jpg

~Veeps
Old 04-08-2015, 01:42 PM   #63
bagged89s10

Finally got the rest of the workbench top cut.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428518248.973742.jpg

Perfect place for my drill press. I do need to find a spindle cover for the top. The motor is not on it right now as I still need to fix my broken pulley. I have to move my screwdrivers from behind it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428518367.700585.jpg

I'm going to make a sliding mount for my Wilton so I can push it back under the cabinet when I don't need it. I'll use 3/16 or 1/4 steel plate I think.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428518414.634595.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428518423.456415.jpg
The Wilton 9-500
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428518486.817809.jpg

Finally coming together.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428518545.050194.jpg

~Veeps
Old 04-08-2015, 01:50 PM   #64
taumac

Nicely done. You really squeezed that DP in there. I have a similar setup on mine with it just barely fitting from bench top to shelf above.

5 Stitches Garage

Florida Garage Life

Old 04-08-2015, 02:13 PM   #65
bagged89s10

Quote:
Nicely done. You really squeezed that DP in there. I have a similar setup on mine with it just barely fitting from bench top to shelf above.

Thanks taumac. Yeah the drill press just fits. I can lower the drill press head a little but I have it as high as it can go without anything interfering. I was originally worried it was going to take up too much bench space but it works out perfectly. I just need to get all my tools organized and crap off the workbench.

Next is mounting the lower tool chest and finishing all the lower workbench supports. Although it is solid with the cabinet and upper supports being lagged into the wall.

~Veeps
Old 04-09-2015, 08:57 AM   #66
rmalkow2

Nice work and great looking garage. I see you also got bit by the vise collecting bug. It can be addicting. The vintage cabinets look great. While they may have outlived their kitchen life the pine and black hinges pull together a nice theme for your garage use.

"NO billet-clad, digital gauge, pastel graphic, named after a fifties song trailer queens!"
rmalkow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:09 AM   #67
bagged89s10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmalkow2 View Post
Nice work and great looking garage. I see you also got bit by the vise collecting bug. It can be addicting. The vintage cabinets look great. While they may have outlived their kitchen life the pine and black hinges pull together a nice theme for your garage use.

Thanks it feels good when it starts coming together and I'm liking the cabinets more now then when I first put them up. I actually couldn't fall asleep last night so I did a little organizing. At least I can think in here again.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428588002.990958.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428588016.306784.jpg

Yeah kind of with the vise collecting bug. I can't keep them all though. Probably have to sell 2 or 3 to make money for other garage necessities like .lighting

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428588088.706271.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428588104.197068.jpg

The Wilton 9-500 has its home.
I just need to mount it with a sliding mount idea I have so I can push the vise back out of the way when not in use.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428588111.919028.jpg
& the Parker 974 is staying for sure. Probably on this bench but undecided where. I might have to move the tool boxes off this bench. I don't know.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428588137.563190.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428588490.367015.jpg

~Veeps
Old 04-09-2015, 09:12 AM   #68
bagged89s10

I just need a nice warm sunny day so I can bake this one in the sun
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428588749.759629.jpg

~Veeps
Old 04-09-2015, 09:15 AM   #69
bagged89s10

Quote:

The cabinets do help give my garage a nice vintage theme. Any suggestions on color to paint my drill press, Wilton, and Parker 974?

~Veeps
Old 04-09-2015, 09:43 AM   #70
taumac

Quote:
The cabinets do help give my garage a nice vintage theme. Any suggestions on color to paint my drill press, Wilton, and Parker 974?

~Veeps

Paint theme is personal taste. My place I kept all shelves, benches and walls white. My tools boxes are vintage craftsmans (gray and red) so every tool box is red or gray or combo of both. My vises.... I went with red or black depending on vise. After awhile it becomes a theme. So I have about 4 to 5 colors. I would see what colors you have and already existing and work off that. You have some red/ black colors already so that would look good.

5 Stitches Garage

Florida Garage Life

Old 04-09-2015, 09:45 AM   #71
rmalkow2

While the traditional/original color scheme can't go wrong, I'm getting a little tired of "Shop Gray" myself. I've been swayed by some of the awesome color choices I've seen on GJ from Balane and others. It's convinced me that these great USA tools can be colorful as well as functional. So I would vote you try something new. I'm going to start a refresh of an old Delta DP and I'm thinking a cherry or burgundy red in either the hammered finish or metal flake. But for the vises you plan to keep you can stick with your shop colors and for the ones you sell there's room to be creative or traditional.

"NO billet-clad, digital gauge, pastel graphic, named after a fifties song trailer queens!"
Old 04-09-2015, 09:58 AM   #72
bagged89s10

Quote:
While the traditional/original color scheme can't go wrong, I'm getting a little tired of "Shop Gray" myself. I've been swayed by some of the awesome color choices I've seen on GJ from Balane and others. It's convinced me that these great USA tools can be colorful as well as functional. So I would vote you try something new. I'm going to start a refresh of an old Delta DP and I'm thinking a cherry or burgundy red in either the hammered finish or metal flake. But for the vises you plan to keep you can stick with your shop colors and for the ones you sell there's room to be creative or traditional.

Agreed on the shop gray. I hate the institution look now. My office was that color and they finally painted the walls tannish ivory color and put in some hardwood looking tiles. So much more pleasant to be in the office now.

I'm painting the garage walls an ivory color and hopefully this summer a tan epoxy floor.

~Veeps
Old 04-09-2015, 10:06 AM   #73
HSpencer
Alliance Member

WOW everything in your garage is looking super. I love the workbench and cabinets and the drill press is placed just right. It is just a great looking place all around. I am drooling over those Wiltons as well. Looks really nice in there and you have done a great job on everything. Your love of the older tools is really appreciated! Your another guy we will have to start following around to see where you find these treasured tools!!

Great Job!

Best Regards
Herb Spencer

Last edited by HSpencer; 04-09-2015 at 10:09 AM.
HSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:19 PM   #74
taumac

I'm painting the garage walls an ivory color and hopefully this summer a tan epoxy floor.

That should look great. There are so many shades of white but white kinda off white. Everyone thought I was crazy when I matched the outside color of my house for my epoxy floor. It's a super lite tan or almost a parchment color with not much white, tan , black flake. I didn't want a dark floor. Over the years I which it was a shade darker but between all the wood being white and floor a lite tan it really lightens up the place.

5 Stitches Garage

Florida Garage Life

Old 04-09-2015, 01:23 PM   #75
bagged89s10

Quote:

That should look great. There are so many shades of white but white kinda off white. Everyone thought I was crazy when I matched the outside color of my house for my epoxy floor. It's a super lite tan or almost a parchment color with not much white, tan , black flake. I didn't want a dark floor. Over the years I which it was a shade darker but between all the wood being white and floor a lite tan it really lightens up the place.

The paint I got for the walls will almost match the trim on the exterior of the house. I got it for dirt cheap on the half price mis-tinted rack at Sherwin Williams. And the house is a tannish/gold color so that's why I bought tan epoxy for the floor. Make it all flow.

~Veeps
Old 04-09-2015, 01:27 PM   #76
bagged89s10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSpencer View Post
WOW everything in your garage is looking super. I love the workbench and cabinets and the drill press is placed just right. It is just a great looking place all around. I am drooling over those Wiltons as well. Looks really nice in there and you have done a great job on everything. Your love of the older tools is really appreciated! Your another guy we will have to start following around to see where you find these treasured tools!!

Great Job!

Best Regards
Herb Spencer

Thanks.

I ended up selling the Wilton 1760 because someone offered me enough for it.

Some of my other tools. Not sure if I posted them on this thread or not.

Craftsman bandsaw
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428603893.181319.jpg

Craftsman atlas 6" lathe
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428603931.479750.jpg

1/2 HP commercial round top block grinder
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428604017.289532.jpg

~Veeps
Old 04-11-2015, 02:19 PM   #77
bagged89s10

I just remembered that I have my old kitchen countertop in the basement. 1.5" thick plywood, vintage green laminate, with aluminum edging.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428779682.074172.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428779691.926961.jpg

I think I can cut it to make a nice 3rd workbench on the other corner of my garage. I have some old metal cabinets in the basement too. I'll post pictures later.

Anyone have this color green next to craftsman red cabinets to see how it looks?

~Veeps
Old 04-11-2015, 04:02 PM   #78
taumac

I just thought about it. Since your going with ivory walls and tan floor. What if you paint toolboxes tan? I would leave the drawers black? That would but different for sure. Just throwing out ideas

5 Stitches Garage

Florida Garage Life

Old 04-11-2015, 04:15 PM   #79
bagged89s10

Quote:
I just thought about it. Since your going with ivory walls and tan floor. What if you paint toolboxes tan? I would leave the drawers black? That would but different for sure. Just throwing out ideas

Not a bad idea but I wasn't planning to paint the boxes just yet. I actually like the red. I do want to paint the drawers black though.

~Veeps
Old 04-11-2015, 04:26 PM   #80
sdavis622

Quote:

Anyone have this color green next to craftsman red cabinets to see how it looks?

~Veeps

I think it would look good next tithe craftsmans. It reminds me of a vise my dad had when I was a kid that was that green color. Or the green color of an older Stanley thermos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sdavis622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:21 PM   #81
taumac

Quote:
Not a bad idea but I wasn't planning to paint the boxes just yet. I actually like the red. I do want to paint the drawers black though.

~Veeps

Oh, Im sorry. I don't know what I was thinking. You have red box with red drawers. For some reason I thought you have black drawers with then the tan/black drawer idea would have looked cool. Still the red against the your planned colors will look good.

5 Stitches Garage

Florida Garage Life

Old 04-13-2015, 09:41 PM   #82
bagged89s10

Newest addition.

Free Craftsman King Seeley table saw. The previous owner said it needed to be rewired or something and wanted it gone. I got there and didn't really look at it but just loaded it up and was on my way. It was wired to a outlet and switch which was bad. I got it home and noticed that the motor was wired with a plug end so I plugged it in, and it fired right up. Nothing wrong with it. Just need to find a better stand, fence, and extension wings.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428979482.167861.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428979504.311989.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428979514.899495.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428979527.520231.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428979548.231300.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428979177.601472.jpg

It also had this water pump connected to it that was driven by the saw motor.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428979213.240229.jpg

~Veeps

Last edited by bagged89s10; 04-13-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:09 PM   #83
rmalkow2

Awesome, free is always good.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:50 PM   #84
sdavis622

Default Re: My budget renovation 20x22 vintage garage

That is sweet!!! Those are my kinda finds!

Old 04-14-2015, 12:20 AM   #85
taumac

That's awesome.

5 Stitches Garage

Florida Garage Life

Old 04-14-2015, 09:34 AM   #86
cp64

Looks like you have done a nice job!
cp64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:57 PM   #87
bagged89s10

OK so i was looking for a stand for the 8" table saw and ended up getting a Craftsman 113.27520 10" saw with stand. I only paid $35. No fence or miter gauge. But the miter gauge from the 8"saw fits. It has the grooved fence rail. I removed it to prevent damage during transport. It has the stand with wheels that I wanted, and runs nice. Needs a new belt and some cleaning up. I guess i will part out the other saw min us the miter gauge and motor.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:01 PM   #88
bagged89s10

You don't know how useful an extra swivel base vise is until you have one sitting in the garage.

My Parker no 22 holding my Oswego No 88 so it can bake in the sun while I went to work today. Hopefully it's still upright when i get home.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:55 PM   #89
bagged89s10

Got to stay home with my 4 year old son today. He loves hanging out at daddy's workbench.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429221276.568338.jpg

~Veeps
Old 04-16-2015, 08:33 PM   #90
sdavis622

Quote:
Got to stay home with my 4 year old son today. He loves hanging out at daddy's workbench.

~Veeps

Those are great times you'll remember forever! My kids love hanging out in "the garage". Everything's a toy!!!! Pretty soon he'll be restoring vises with ya and hitting the flea markets!!!!

Old 04-17-2015, 07:46 PM   #91
bagged89s10

The guy in brown dropped off my Dayton bench belt sander today. Good thing I stopped and grabbed a sanding belt for it so I could at least throw the belt on to play with it. It doesn't pivot from horizontal to vertical, at least with what I got. I need to replace the rubber on the wheels. Where can I buy them and what are they called? Overall it's clean and for $23 I have a 4x36 belt sander.

Now I have a lot of options with how I want to set this up. Do I put a large diameter pulley on it to make it a slow speed sander? Do I attach it to one of my 3/4hp craftsman motors? Do I fab up to make it fit onto one of my block grinders? Good to have lots of options.

I need to build more workbenches and figure out a place to mount this first.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429317563.585546.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429317577.308372.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429317588.363166.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429317598.303695.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429317607.058182.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429317615.943496.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429317624.130629.jpg

~Veeps
Old 04-21-2015, 07:49 PM   #92
bagged89s10

Just picked up this vintage tool chest.
A rusty craftsman toolbox loaded with some useful tool and some junk. Not bad for $40.

Took the drawers out for easy transport. Decent number of useful tools. Also s box full of tools from the bottom cabinet.

And the nest

And the top has some original paint thanks to the oilly mat.

I'm going to try paper towels soaked in evaporust for rust removal after degreasing it.

~Veeps

Last edited by bagged89s10; 04-21-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:07 AM   #93
bagged89s10

Here's better shots of the toolbox. Had to unload the drawers his morning from my car so I cleaned it up a bit and threw out the complete junk.

Chisels, files, drill bits, hole saws, mills, craftsman and sk sockets, snap or screwdriver, soldering iron, slide hammer, broken Mac tools air ratchet, clamps, hacksaw, shears, bunch or air fittings, random wrenches, craftsman breaker bar.

Other random tools. Not even sure what most of these are other that the tap holder, the monkey wrenches, and the puller.

Then the stuff that is most likely junk. Some pullers with missing pieces and again I don't know what some of these tools are.

Then again there was a box of junk I tossed.

So I think if I find a large plastic storage container I can probably do electrolysis on half of the box at a time. Won't be getting into this thing for a while though.

My plan is to de-rust, paint, and then incorporate it into another workbench with 3 of these cabinets I have sitting unused in my basement, which I will paint to match the toolbox.

These cabinets are 24.25" wide x 12.5" deep by 26" high.
The craftsman box is 25.5" wide x 17" deep by 29" high.

So I probably configure them like this to make an island workbench, possibly with wheels.

~Veeps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429719319.928043.jpg (101.7 KB, 2868 views)
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429719411.002602.jpg (123.0 KB, 2859 views)

Last edited by bagged89s10; 04-22-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:46 AM   #94
crerus75

On the drawer with the monkey wrenches:
-The weird looking set of pliers in the upper right is a valve spring compressor, probably for small engines.
-The triangular piece with all of the flutes that's on top of the monkey wrench is a pipe reamer for a brace-and-bit drill.
-The two circular devices on the lower right look like ridge reamers. They're used to remove the ridge at the top of an engine cylinder when removing the pistons. My engine machining teacher called them "cylinder ruining tools."
-Just above the tap handle is a pin spanner wrench. It's used to remove nuts that have holes in them instead of flats (similar to the retaining nut on an angle grinder spindle).
-The lump of rounded metal just above that is a body dolly. It's used as a backing when pounding on sheetmetal.
-I have no idea what the two knife-looking pieces in the upper right are, or the metal cylinder at the bottom left.

It looks like the junk box has some potentially useful tools. Are they too far gone to rescue?
crerus75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:54 AM   #95
bagged89s10

Quote:
Originally Posted by crerus75 View Post
On the drawer with the monkey wrenches:

-The weird looking set of pliers in the upper right is a valve spring compressor, probably for small engines.

-The triangular piece with all of the flutes that's on top of the monkey wrench is a pipe reamer for a brace-and-bit drill.

-The two circular devices on the lower right look like ridge reamers. They're used to remove the ridge at the top of an engine cylinder when removing the pistons. My engine machining teacher called them "cylinder ruining tools."

-Just above the tap handle is a pin spanner wrench. It's used to remove nuts that have holes in them instead of flats (similar to the retaining nut on an angle grinder spindle).

-The lump of rounded metal just above that is a body dolly. It's used as a backing when pounding on sheetmetal.

-I have no idea what the two knife-looking pieces in the upper right are, or the metal cylinder at the bottom left.

It looks like the junk box has some potentially useful tools. Are they too far gone to rescue?

Thanks I knew that was a body dolly and I saw that the ridge reamers said "ridge reamer" on them. I didn't know what they were for. No not all that stuff it the box is junk. I don't know what those large curved tools are. There are some nut drivers I will probably keep. Then there are some parts to a puller or press but don't seem to be complete.

~Veeps
Old 04-25-2015, 06:23 PM   #96
crerus75

Quote:
I don't know what those large curved tools are. There are some nut drivers I will probably keep. Then there are some parts to a puller or press but don't seem to be complete.

~Veeps
If you're referring to the two kinda s-shaped metal pieces with 2 holes in them, they're the jaws for a puller like this one. There should be a third jaw somewhere, some links, and some bolts so you can connect it to the hub and shaft that's in the middle of the pic.

Under the puller shaft, I think I see half of a line flaring tool.

The tiny puller in the upper right corner is for taking off top-mount battery terminals. Very useful for corroded terminals, and it might clean up nicely if it's complete.

Nice job getting everything organized and the garage sorted out, you should feel proud.
crerus75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:28 PM   #97
ICT_Kevin

Nice workbench and vises. Good job on cleanliness and order too. It photographs well being so clean.

Kevin
ICT_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:45 AM   #98
bagged89s10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT_Kevin View Post
Nice workbench and vises. Good job on cleanliness and order too. It photographs well being so clean.

Kevin

Thanks but it need a lot more organization. The workbench is a mess right now with projects like vises being rebuilt and parts from a table saw I'm parting out. I need to figure out exactly what drawers all my tools will be stored.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430544926.968261.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430545596.367968.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430545613.009171.jpg

Here is wood I picked up today to finish my wife's pullout kitchen pantry. I want it finishing this week. The carcass has been made and I just never got around to making the two 9" wide pullouts for it. I had Home Depot rip this birch plywood for me to save me time.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430545387.817823.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430544996.615491.jpg

The 10" table saw is ready to be used to finish the project. I'll do a full restore on it at some point.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430545263.074870.jpg
I scraped the rust off the top and hand sanded it quickly.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430545369.934198.jpg
Old 05-06-2015, 02:23 AM   #99
bagged89s10

So I picked up 3 craftsman tool cabinets.
I was working on my pantry cabinet on a piece of plywood and saw so I threw it on top of these to see how a workbench would look.

Then I took the drawers out of this one

And put the drawer in this one. This one is nicer. And that's the reason I bought all 3. I would have left the one with wheels but i needed the drawers. I got all 3 for $45 and i'm hoping to sell the rolling one.

Now I need to decide what to do. I'm thinking about using one for my band saw and the other 1 or 2 for my rolling workbench. I also have this guy which I'm using as a temporary rolling work table.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:28 AM   #100
bagged89s10

Now I have a perfect place for my harbor freight parts bin cases.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430897100.698168.jpg
I might have to buy some more deeper ones but so much better to have an easy place to put them.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430897115.592378.jpg

I can also fit some of my power tools in their cases such as my air nailer.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430897147.237509.jpg

And the sawzall and sander fit on the bottom
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430897211.651659.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430897227.655244.jpg
Perfect size for the electric drill
Old 05-06-2015, 02:37 AM   #101
bagged89s10

Here are some shots of the pull out pantry in building.

I bought a harbor freight pocket hole jig. Almost half price of the kreg. Works pretty well.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430897455.999411.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430897525.535428.jpg

I'm using 1/2" plywood so it's a little tricky to get holes where you want them and the screws flush.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430897541.055484.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430898021.474537.jpg
Here is shelf height testing. You can see the cabinet carcass in the background which is made of 3/4" plywood. It's actually sitting upside down. It will slide into the current pantry closet which is right next to the basement staircase. That's why there is a step in the box.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430897614.227422.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430897626.614305.jpg
Here it is standing up. I will screw in the shelves next and then make mounts for the drawer slides.
There will be 2 on the bottom and 2 on top.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430897653.127489.jpg

Last edited by bagged89s10; 05-06-2015 at 02:40 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:23 PM   #102
bagged89s10

I haven't posted on this thread in a while but here is the pantry almost complete.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432610536.671814.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432610566.782363.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432610435.670990.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432610455.845980.jpg

I used BLO on the inside. I just have to fine tune the slides, then install the box into the existing closet. I will then build a face frame to fit the existing door opening of the existing pantry closet and then stain the front and face frame to match my kitchen cabinets.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:25 PM   #103
bagged89s10

Quote:
So I picked up 3 craftsman tool cabinets.

I was working on my pantry cabinet on a piece of plywood and saw so I threw it on top of these to see how a workbench would look.

Then I took the drawers out of this one

And put the drawer in this one. This one is nicer. And that's the reason I bought all 3. I would have left the one with wheels but i needed the drawers. I got all 3 for $45 and i'm hoping to sell the rolling one.

Now I need to decide what to do. I'm thinking about using one for my band saw and the other 1 or 2 for my rolling workbench. I also have this guy which I'm using as a temporary rolling work table.

I was able to sell this one on wheels this weekend for $40 so i really only paid $5 for the other 2 cabinets
Old 05-25-2015, 10:28 PM   #104
bagged89s10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432610806.667855.jpg
Scored all this last week for $170. Been selling some of the machinist tools. Really pumped about having a nice 4" Heinrich vise for my drill press now.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432610890.823779.jpg

Also finished the Reed 104R resto.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432610921.153805.jpg
Old 06-05-2015, 05:07 PM   #105
bagged89s10

OK so I've collected 4 Craftsman block Grinders. One 1/2HP commercial flat top, one 1/2HP commercial round top, 1/2HP standard flat top, and a 1/3 HP round top. I do wish all of them had the metal/glass eye shields like on the 1/3 HP. This cabinet also is also perfect storage for these guys.

I've also been using these 2 toolboxes as separate workstations for now which I really find useful. I like it but eventually I will build a steel frame and mount the boxes in it. I bought the small machinist box to flip but it's really nice and I think I should keep it to store bits, tooling, etc.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:34 PM   #106
bagged89s10

I picked up this rock island 594 last week. It's a very well built vise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433543601.955061.jpg (135.5 KB, 2603 views)

Last edited by bagged89s10; 06-05-2015 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:13 PM   #107
rmalkow2

Nice job making use of some good old cabinets and tools. Those machinest and carry boxes can be handy to dedicate certain tools for storage.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:49 PM   #108
bagged89s10

Quote:
Nice job making use of some good old cabinets and tools. Those machinest and carry boxes can be handy to dedicate certain tools for storage.

Thanks Rmalkow.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:29 PM   #109
bagged89s10

Did a little cleaning today. Wasn't going to be home but my son got sick so our weekend trip got cancelled.

Made room for the machinist box.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433643870.025953.jpg
The machinist box just fits on this bench. Hangs off 1/2" but I can live with that.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433643630.948137.jpg

I never thought I would like small drawers but they are very handy.

Now I have a place for drill and screw driver bits
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433643897.557219.jpg
A place for my files
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433643916.465963.jpg
I'm using handbook drawer for screw/bolt extractors for now. Punches have their own drawer
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433643934.325069.jpg
Still organizing these drawers.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433644018.582377.jpg

Then I finally put something in this old box. Perfect for all my Allen wrenches. Of course I'm missing some. I hope I find them.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433644139.807357.jpg
Old 06-21-2015, 10:04 AM   #110
bagged89s10

So I've made a few acquisitions this past week and had a day to do a little cleaning.

Got this 1950s craftsman box for $40 to match my other 50s box. These are going to become either a new lathe workbench or just a rolling bench for my garage.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434898702.047576.jpg

Then I acquired these craftsman boxes for $225 and the little drawer cabinet, the 3 green light reflectors, an old saw, and a large metal file for another $45. The craftsman boxes are super clean and came with keys. Unfortunately I broke one key during transport because I was rushing around. If anyone has a LL68 key please let me know.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434898874.994556.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434898891.469799.jpg
Dated 6/77
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434898903.925470.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434898917.316123.jpg
Dated 3/75
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434898942.910047.jpg
Old 06-21-2015, 10:13 AM   #111
bagged89s10

Cleaned out the other corner of my garage to make room.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434899123.310643.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434899136.533826.jpg
I still have a lot of work to do and have to rip out the shelves above the craftsman boxes and redo them
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434899196.831564.jpg
I have a pile of stuff to go thru and organize. I have a lot of yard hand tools but don't have the cash or time to build a full size shed right now. I'm going to make a small garbage can shed next to my driveway and I might just go ahead and make it to fit garbage cans, takes, shovels, etc. This would just leave power equipment in the garage. The snowblower, lawnmower, trimmer and blower.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434899296.344295.jpg
Old 06-21-2015, 10:30 AM   #112
bagged89s10

So I pulled out this from the basement and they will be perfect on the wall with the lathe and 1970s craftsman boxes. They were sitting on the basement floor and a few of them are rotted thru but fixable. I'm not going to go all out on these fixing them. Probably just some wire wheeling, evaporust, and naval jelly to stop the rust before a coat of rustoleum. These will give me a better place to store chemicals and pesticides so they are not disorganized on open shelving. These were sitting in the basement since I bought the house, they are vintage all metal, and will look cool.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434900467.364909.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434900511.286435.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434900519.857812.jpg

This one is stacked 2 high. I have another stack and 1 single unit. I will probably just grab some rustoleum sunrise red in a can and brush paint them. I'll do red and gray if they have hammered gray or silver in a quart. I don't think I'm going to spray them.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:32 AM   #113
bagged89s10

The little drawer cabinet fits in this space and that's why I grabbed it. It's light duty but I should be able to store small stuff in it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434900720.822987.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434900735.978902.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434900750.085606.jpg
Old 06-22-2015, 10:09 PM   #114
bagged89s10

So this year I told my wife I wanted a fan for my Garage for Father's Day. Then I saw the post by Ryan how nice the old Emerson fans are and had to have one. My wife told me to just find one and buy one. So I found this one in pretty much perfect original condition on eBay! Emerson Electric Model 79646-SA. 12" blades, 3 speeds, and oscillates. It was $68 or so shipped. I think I will eventually replace the cords on it but it runs so nice and it's so quiet as well.

The shop fan thread
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=109246
Old 06-23-2015, 02:18 PM   #115
bagged89s10

Default Re: My 20x22 repurposed vintage garage

I had a light duty cord reel and a drop light but no where to put them because I haven't run all my electrical yet. I decided to make a quick mount for them out of some strapping, old pipe fitting, and a bolt. It's out of the way and easy to reach. The cabinet had a bolt hole underneath for legs so I didn't have to do any drilling. Works for now until I have time to run more electrical and maybe hang it from the ceiling.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435086862.300003.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435086889.125907.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435086911.871395.jpg
Old 06-25-2015, 06:09 PM   #116
bagged89s10

Default Re: The Little Vintage Garage.

Traded my gold craftsman cabinet to a fellow GJ member for this steelmaster 30 drawer file cabinet. It's nice as its only 12" deep so it doesn't stick out much. I finally have an official parts cabinet!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435273718.941165.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435273731.329559.jpg
Old 06-25-2015, 06:22 PM   #117
taumac

Like the new name.... Nice cabinet.

5 Stitches Garage

Florida Garage Life

Old 06-25-2015, 07:35 PM   #118
rmalkow2

Nice parts cab and it fits perfect under the shelf. Handy to have those label holders on each drawer.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:43 PM   #119
bagged89s10

Quote:
Nice parts cab and it fits perfect under the shelf. Handy to have those label holders on each drawer.

Thanks. I'm very happy with it. I want to wire wheel at least the handles which means the front of the drawers will get wire wheeled. But that's a future project.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:08 PM   #120
BSAschields

Great thread. Ive been looking for a parts cabinet myself. Great trade .... Wish I could find stuff as cool as you do. Garage sales or Auctions or other secret?
BSAschields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:53 AM   #121
bagged89s10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSAschields View Post
Great thread. Ive been looking for a parts cabinet myself. Great trade .... Wish I could find stuff as cool as you do. Garage sales or Auctions or other secret?

Thanks for the compliments!
Mostly everything was found off Craigslist ads. I've been able to buy and sell a lot of tools, etc so it has enabled me to have cool toys at minimal cost.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:58 AM   #122
bagged89s10

Was up late last night getting doing a little cleaning and getting my blocks back together.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435326991.013008.jpg

Also 4 rolls of raptor grab drawer liners came in yesterday so hopefully I will get all tool boxes lined this weekend.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435327106.118573.jpg
Old 06-26-2015, 09:37 AM   #123
Dan in Pasadena

S10 - Maybe I missed it but what's your plan(if any) for that great parts cabinet?

If it were mine I'd HAVE to steel wool, or polish up those name plate thingies and paint it red to match much of your other stuff. That's going to be a great place for miscellaneous fasteners, etc. Congrats!
Dan in Pasadena is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:35 AM   #124
Zeke

Location: Senior Member—in more ways than one in Long Beach CA

Just got through reading this thread for the first time (I think). Lots of suckage here, that's fo show. I loved the sewing machine stand that came with the TS. Sure do wonder why a water pump on the TS. Maybe the thing was in the basement and the guy pumped out water? Scary thought.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:38 AM   #125
bagged89s10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
S10 - Maybe I missed it but what's your plan(if any) for that great parts cabinet?

If it were mine I'd HAVE to steel wool, or polish up those name plate thingies and paint it red to match much of your other stuff. That's going to be a great place for miscellaneous fasteners, etc. Congrats!

Dan,

I think steel wool is probably what I will do to the handles/name plates. Not sure if I will paint it red or hammered gray to match the craftsman box. Probably steel wool the drawer fronts and just leave it unpainted. I don't really have time anytime in the near future to mask the handles and paint the drawer fronts.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435332978.349900.jpg
Old 06-26-2015, 10:42 AM   #126
bagged89s10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Just got through reading this thread for the first time (I think). Lots of suckage here, that's fo show. I loved the sewing machine stand that came with the TS. Sure do wonder why a water pump on the TS. Maybe the thing was in the basement and the guy pumped out water? Scary thought.

Thanks for the suckage Zeke. I don't know about the water pump but pumping water out of the basement could have been it. I'm going to turn that sewing machine stand into a planter for my wife.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:58 AM   #127
bagged89s10

Quote:
Attachment 446084
Scored all this last week for $170. Been selling some of the machinist tools. Really pumped about having a nice 4" Heinrich vise for my drill press now.
Attachment 446085

Also finished the Reed 104R resto.
Attachment 446086

Restored and sold this Heinrich 6-SV from this purchase a few weeks ago.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435333652.872533.jpg
There were 2 labels stuck on from the factory by accident
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435333727.089426.jpg
Painted and baked
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435333980.095647.jpg
Polished parts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435334037.358503.jpg
I think it came out pretty good. The drill holes I filled with Jb weld came out ok.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435334173.708859.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435334259.096626.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435334287.044825.jpg

I sold it to make a little cash but best of all is when the buyer is happy as in this case.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:08 AM   #128
Squashfest81

The new cabinet blends right in. Fill it up.
Squashfest81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:50 AM   #129
bagged89s10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squashfest81 View Post
The new cabinet blends right in. Fill it up.

I started to last night. I just need to cut labels for it. I'm not going to steel wool or anything to it right now.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:17 PM   #130
KraftwerkMk1Jetta

More pics! I love this thread!
KraftwerkMk1Jetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:53 PM   #131
bagged89s10

Quote:
Like the new name.... Nice cabinet.

Thanks dude! My garage is similar size to yours and I'm trying to make a nice usable garage and workshop without taking up too much space.

I would like to get my wife's trailblazer in the garage for the winter.

I put the bandsaw on the 50s toolbox with wheels and it's a nice fit. It's nice having it mobile on wheels so I can roll it out to use it. I just need to figure out a good way to store my table saw out of the way. Maybe an angle iron base on some wheels next to the bandsaw. Then my other 50s toolbox next to that, and Then eventually build a rolling table to fit around them. Looks like I'm scrapping my original idea about bolting 2 of the toolboxes together. I'll see.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:57 PM   #132
bagged89s10

Default The Little Vintage Garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraftwerkMk1Jetta View Post
More pics! I love this thread!

Thanks! Looks like you are a fellow Craftsman Fan.

Here is a a Craftsman commercial toolbox I bought and sold recently on etsy.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435344972.256595.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435345002.656402.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435344950.949804.jpg

Here is another one I bought but haven't sold yet
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435345055.330486.jpg
Old 06-26-2015, 02:00 PM   #133
bagged89s10

My vintage Disston Junior Saw I bought for $5 when I picked up the 1970s craftsman tool chests
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435345171.219132.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435345180.657405.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435345189.645555.jpg
Old 06-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #134
bagged89s10

A few tools my father bought at a garage sale years ago, never used, and just gave it to me last week. If anyone know anything about these let me know.

Old Walker turner jointer
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435345361.260851.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435345372.366772.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435345386.624035.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435345403.701126.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435345425.327237.jpg

Porter cable sanding attachment. A sander attachment for a router? Never seen anything like it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435345452.057700.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435345482.287253.jpg
Old 06-26-2015, 02:18 PM   #135
jbmatth

You have been able to get some great scores on some of that stuff, I don't seem to find much in my area, then when I do I end up paying more than I should but at least I get what I'm after. I'll be tagging along to see what other treasures you find.
JB

Warthog Hidey Hole Thread:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=261352
jbmatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 03:13 PM   #136
bagged89s10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmatth View Post
You have been able to get some great scores on some of that stuff, I don't seem to find much in my area, then when I do I end up paying more than I should but at least I get what I'm after. I'll be tagging along to see what other treasures you find.
JB

Thanks. It's like once you find one deal, more just fall into your lap.

Here's a Wilton tradesman I bought at the beginning of June and sold for a quick $200 profit. 1989 Wilton 1760.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435349393.071395.jpg
It was almost brand new other than some light surface rust and the sticker peeling.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435349466.940852.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435349484.400008.jpg
Old 06-26-2015, 03:47 PM   #137
taumac

Quote:
Thanks dude! My garage is similar size to yours and I'm trying to make a nice usable garage and workshop without taking up too much space.

I would like to get my wife's trailblazer in the garage for the winter.

I put the bandsaw on the 50s toolbox with wheels and it's a nice fit. It's nice having it mobile on wheels so I can roll it out to use it. I just need to figure out a good way to store my table saw out of the way. Maybe an angle iron base on some wheels next to the bandsaw. Then my other 50s toolbox next to that, and Then eventually build a rolling table to fit around them. Looks like I'm scrapping my original idea about bolting 2 of the toolboxes together. I'll see.

I got an idea for the saw. Is it on the stand right now? Take the 2 tall Craftsman bottoms put a bench on top. Put saw between them.

5 Stitches Garage

Florida Garage Life

Last edited by taumac; 06-26-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:06 PM   #138
bagged89s10

Quote:
I got an idea for the saw. Is it on the stand right now? Take the 2 tall Craftsman bottoms put a bench on top. Put saw between them.

That's a possibility. Then I can use your too box wall mount idea.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:07 PM   #139
bagged89s10

After tuning up the lawnmower and getting the lawn mowed, I had an hour to work on organizing. The little yellow bins from my cheap harbor freight organizer bins fit perfectly into the drawers. These are the shallow height ones. The deep ones are too deep. I gave the 3 carry cases I emptied to my son to put his small toy characters, etc.
I didn't take a picture but I started filling the other drawers without bins with parts too. These are great as I can dedicate a drawer to a small parts of a single project I'm in the middle of but not actively working on.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435370538.312495.jpg

I also got the athol 623 out of the simple green bath and rinsed off finally. Sitting next to my Parker No. 33. The pair of 3 inch vises I'm prepping to paint so I can sell.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435370694.033737.jpg

And I found another toolbox my dad gave me a while back. It's an all steel all including the handle Husky. It says New Britain Hand Tools , a division of Litton industries under the Husky hand tools logo.
Just overfilled with old tools I have to organize.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435370742.291252.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435370750.495636.jpg
Old 06-27-2015, 09:14 PM   #140
bagged89s10

Today's purchases totaling $25.

I only bought the vise and clamp because yesterday my friend said he was having a tag sale, and I said I would only stop by if he was selling any vintage tools. This morning I get a text from him with a picture of a rusty vise and clamp. He said make an offer, I said $20, and he accepted. So I took the family for a ride to go get it. I know most of the guys/gals on here, myself included, don't buy woodworkers vises, but I couldn't say no for $20 with the clamp.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435457130.970944.jpg

A Columbian 3cd woodworking vise. Will need a dunk in the electrolysis tank.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435457442.652633.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435457451.243420.jpg

The c-clamp only says 406 drop forged steel. Doesn't say a brand or made in USA.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435457562.242289.jpg

I picked up the milk can at an estate sale this morning. It's going to be repurposed as
a flower planter. Paid $5 for it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435457505.202527.jpg
Old 06-28-2015, 07:23 AM   #141
bj383ss

Just read through your whole thread really enjoyed it. I dig those vintage cabinets you started with. I have an old desk from the 50's I dismantled of old pine and love using bits and pieces of it in my projects. As others have said you seem to have a nose for good deals and flipping them for extra cash. I can't ever seem to sell any of my stuff I want to keep it all.

On that vise you just got you can also soak it in vinegar for a week and it will come out brand new! Look forward to some more updates.

1964 C10 Stepside 350/700R4
1979 Caprice Classic (383 stroker)
2002 Camaro SS (Stock Daily Driver)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27291602@N03/

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=185236

https://www.instagram.com/bj388ss/
bj383ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:28 AM   #142
bagged89s10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj383ss View Post
Just read through your whole thread really enjoyed it. I dig those vintage cabinets you started with. I have an old desk from the 50's I dismantled of old pine and love using bits and pieces of it in my projects. As others have said you seem to have a nose for good deals and flipping them for extra cash. I can't ever seem to sell any of my stuff I want to keep it all.

On that vise you just got you can also soak it in vinegar for a week and it will come out brand new! Look forward to some more updates.

Thanks bj. Yeah I want to keep it all too, but I don't want to become a hoarder. For a while I had too much stuff and couldn't walk around. Luckily I just sold the red and black craftsman tool stand/cabinet so now all the larger items I don't want to keep are gone. I just need to finish and sell a few vises, which I want to keep all but I have to draw a line and only keep some.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:47 AM   #143
RockyMtnBlue

RockyMtnBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:51 AM   #144
Bob Heine

Quote:
I picked up the milk can at an estate sale this morning. It's going to be repurposed as
a flower planter. Paid $5 for it.
Attachment 455294
Milk cans not only make a nice flower pot, they also work well as a rural mailbox base. After the county snowplow broke our second 4x4 mailbox post off at the ground, I put the broken post in a milk can, drilled a couple of drainage holes and filled it with gravel and topsoil. The snowplow continued to knock the mailbox over but standing up the milk can was a lot easier than digging a post hole in the frozen ground. This isn't mine but you get the idea....
WARNING: "It is highly recommended that the reader does not attempt to drink coffee (or for that matter, any beverage) whilst reading posts by Bob Heine - we hold no responsibility for the consequences of ignoring this warning". Mark [BBChevro]
Bob Heine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:20 AM   #145
bagged89s10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Heine View Post
Milk cans not only make a nice flower pot, they also work well as a rural mailbox base. After the county snowplow broke our second 4x4 mailbox post off at the ground, I put the broken post in a milk can, drilled a couple of drainage holes and filled it with gravel and topsoil. The snowplow continued to knock the mailbox over but standing up the milk can was a lot easier than digging a post hole in the frozen ground. This isn't mine but you get the idea....

That's very nice. I bet it would work as an umbrella stand as well.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:21 AM   #146
bagged89s10

I think if I keep the woodworker vise I will mount it around here. I would try to mount it as flush to the bench as possible

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435504865.476777.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435504874.830304.jpg
Old 06-29-2015, 07:45 AM   #147
bagged89s10

So I just sold the craftsman tool cabinet that helped me clear some space in my garage. Then I got motivated to do some cleaning and organizing. I decided to throw some swivel casters I had laying around,on the old base from the craftsman bandsaw. There was a hole in it so I set my Oswego on it to get it out of the way. Then I kind of decided, why not bolt and screw some more vises on. It's a rolling vise stand for now. Eventually I'll make a steel welding/plasma cutting cart.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435587022.706900.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435581772.285750.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435581779.888647.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435581786.809351.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435586062.978854.jpg (134.6 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by bagged89s10; 06-29-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:46 AM   #148
bagged89s10

I don't know if I mentioned it in any earlier posts, but my job allows me to work from home at least 50% of the time. I have a small house and no room for an office right now until I eventually finish the basement. So for now, I got a pretty sweet setup for myself in the garage. This really helps me when my wife who is a teacher and son are home in the summer. Just imagine trying to talk on the phone to a client while a curious 4 year old want to play.

I got a free working pc monitor and decided to get a dual monitor setup going for my garage desk. So I just unbolted the plastic stand that came with the monitor and bolted it up to a decent size L bracket I found. It couldn't have been any easier.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435754303.012181.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435754318.386048.jpg

The garage even stays cool with the door closed, a window fan, and my Emerson fan. I worked from home unitil 2pm yesterday, and the garage stayed a comfortable 70-75F. Temps outside were in the mid 80s and very humid.

Oh here are the 2 fans I have.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435754591.870048.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435754616.995589.jpg
Old 08-10-2015, 09:05 PM   #149
bagged89s10

So I haven't posted in this thread in a while. I've collected a bunch of vises and other tools recently. Here are my newest acquisitions.

Parker 383-1/2 swivel jaw vise in very good condition
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439258132.495126.jpg
Old craftsman bit brace
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439258175.445612.jpg
Old shinglers hatchet
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439258368.406968.jpg
Vintage scale
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439258398.404094.jpg
An old Chicago pencil sharpener
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439258438.553730.jpg
Lots of misc old tools. I won't list them all but these old craftsmans and a vintage tape measure.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439258525.479462.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439258650.206706.jpg
Old 08-10-2015, 09:15 PM   #150
bagged89s10

These are a few vises I've restored.

Athol 623
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439258797.593448.jpg
Parker no. 33
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439258944.364088.jpg
Reed 104r

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439259017.267493.jpg

This Wilton 930 is ready for paint once I polish the anvil surface and jaw inserts.. This was the first vise I de-rusted in my new electrolysis tank.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439259100.988936.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439259118.148522.jpg

This Parker 955 was also cleaned in the new tank. This vise is going to be a keeper. I need to build a better stand or modify this one. This picture is after an electrolysis bath.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439259223.669227.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439259318.281782.jpg
Old 08-10-2015, 09:22 PM   #151
bagged89s10

Here is the Parker No. 49 I picked up. This thing is a big vise for only having 4.25" jaws
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439259473.335160.jpg
And after the e-tank bath.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439259518.307840.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439259777.914109.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439259790.373055.jpg
Old 08-10-2015, 09:35 PM   #152
bagged89s10

Here is the e-tank I built using a 27 gallon container, 1/2" rebar, rebar tying wire, electrical wire, and a battery charger.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439259858.020623.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439259880.749319.jpg
I measured and cut the rebar to fit the container.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439259953.551914.jpg
Angle grinder makes quick work. I prefer cutting outside when possible so metal doesn't get in every nook and cranny in the garage.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439260137.054822.jpg
I attached the rebar by drilling 2 small holes at each rebar location and using the tying wire to attach the rebar.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439260280.039203.jpg
The wires go thru he container and that's where I attached electrical wiring to tie the rebar together.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439260300.432034.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439260365.215795.jpg
Old 08-10-2015, 09:35 PM   #153
bagged89s10

Part 2 electrolysis tank build
I also ran tying wire around the inside of the container behind the rebar.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439260582.036823.jpg
Electrical wire and wire nuts were used to make the electrical connections outside of the tank.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439260685.301906.jpg
Nothing fancy, just need to make sure all the rebar is connected.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439260749.217153.jpg
I made a little loop in the wire so I can make my positive power connection. I actually put a bolt and nut thru this loop so a better connection can be made with the battery charger.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439260702.894154.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439260872.808941.jpg
Just used an old battery charger I got for free. Positive goes to the rebar anodes and the negative goes to the part being de-rusted.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439260887.951180.jpg
The solution is simply water with some washing soda.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439260952.065744.jpg

I will eventually upgrade the rebar with some graphite. I heard it keeps the tank cleaner and more efficient.

Last edited by bagged89s10; 08-10-2015 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:50 PM   #154
bagged89s10

I found this snowblower being thrown out so I brought it home. After work I threw some fresh gas in, and it fired right up.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439261246.776856.jpg
[URL]https://vimeo.com/135934855[/URL
Now I just need to wait for winter and snowstorm so I can sell it.

I also just picked up this weber grill being thrown out so grabbed it. It needs grates, flavorizer bars, and a propane hose. It's in better shape then I thought. I started cleaning it up today.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439261312.706618.jpg
Old 08-10-2015, 09:56 PM   #155
bagged89s10

Some more vises I've picked up. I actually had someone looking for a small cheap vise and then found this at a sale so I grabbed it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439261471.916336.jpg
And this was next to it so I bought it. Both for $20
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439261531.379476.jpg

I also picked up this American scale 54 a few weeks ago. The e-tank made quick work of the rust but I have to drill out all the screws. It will also need a little metal work before paint.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439261594.407205.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439261641.299812.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439261662.041763.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439261695.275162.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439261725.026852.jpg
Old 08-10-2015, 10:00 PM   #156
bagged89s10

Here is my Parker 955 before the rust tank.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439261836.275399.jpg
It makes my Wilton 9-500 look small.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439261866.474413.jpg
Again, needs almost no work. I might keep it in the raw.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439261929.219711.jpg
I picked up a swivel Reed 204r. This is why I'm selling the Reed 104r
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439261998.620211.jpg
It has nice smooth jaws
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439262030.903375.jpg
Old 08-10-2015, 10:03 PM   #157
bagged89s10

I cleaned up a little. My garage was getting really messy.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439262098.300482.jpg
It's still a mess. I really need to sell off a lot off some of these vises. I guess I moved the Parker No 33 and it's in both picture.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439262126.664505.jpg

I almost forgot this cheap craftsman stand I picked up for $35. I've been using it for vise pictures
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439262292.744926.jpg
This is how I package my vises for shipment
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439262398.250110.jpg

Last edited by bagged89s10; 08-10-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:32 AM   #158
jbmatth

Those are some nice scores you've gotten yourself, you treat them right and make it look easy.
JB

Warthog Hidey Hole Thread:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=261352
jbmatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:35 AM   #159
bagged89s10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmatth View Post
Those are some nice scores you've gotten yourself, you treat them right and make it look easy.
JB

Thanks JB.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:46 PM   #160
920kip

Nice packing on the vise. It looks very secure. Who do you use to ship?
The garage is coming along nicely.
Cheers,
Kip
920kip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:07 PM   #161
bagged89s10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 920kip View Post
Nice packing on the vise. It looks very secure. Who do you use to ship?

The garage is coming along nicely.

Cheers,

Kip

Thanks Kip. I've used fedex with good luck so far. The only problem is they have a max weight of 70 lbs. I have a few 60+ pound vises I will be selling and they will probably go over 70lbs with packaging. I'll have to ship in 2 boxes.

The garage is slowly getting organized. I pretty much have enough storage now, but need to get my wrenches and sockets reorganized.

This is what my socket drawers look like.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439345047.618857.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439345075.598878.jpg
This is my misc wrenches and ratchet/breaker bar drawer.

I'm leaning towards getting socket trays so I remove the tray vs taking a hand full of sockets to whatever I am working on.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439345091.189129.jpg
Old 08-11-2015, 09:25 PM   #162
taumac

Great job on the recapping of your garage.

5 Stitches Garage

Florida Garage Life

Old 08-11-2015, 09:36 PM   #163
bagged89s10

Quote:
Great job on the recapping of your garage.

Thanks Taumac. I kind of just started rambling and posting quickly.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:40 PM   #164
taumac

Quote:
Thanks Taumac. I kind of just started rambling and posting quickly.

I love vises but your collection sure surpasses mine. I just don't see them that often on CL. I'm waiting for the recap of all the Craftsmans. LOL. You know I love those LOL.

5 Stitches Garage

Florida Garage Life