Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-18-2008, 10:41 PM   #1
brad d

Default Best way to drill 2" hole in concrete wall?

i need to drill the foundation of my house to tap in power for the garage... Its 9" thick.. what is the best bit to use and i do have a hammer drill.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2008, 10:44 PM   #2
Uncle Buck
Banned

Default Re: Best way to drill 2" hole in concrete wall?

Carbide bit core drill, likely quite high I suggest renting it.
Uncle Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-19-2008, 12:01 AM   #3
Junkman

You will need a core bit, and then part way through, you will need to break out part of the core that has already been drilled. The core bit will only drill about 3" deep, so you will need to do this a few times. I have a Milwaukee 1 1/2" hammer drill with core bits up to 6". They are extremely expensive, and if there is rebar in the foundation, it will kill the bit in short order. For this reason, I never loan the hole drills. I will loan the tool with demo bits, but when it comes to holes, I tell them to hire someone with the equipment. There is a local company that does most of the commercial work in this area, and a 2" hole takes them very little time to drill. By the time you have the check written, it is done.

Men wake up as good-looking as they went to bed.
Women somehow deteriorate during the night.

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
Junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:14 AM   #4
nissan_crawler

That's odd, I was getting ready to ask the same question. How feasible is it to drill holes around the perimeter with my 1/2" sds and then chip out the core with a rock chisel or such?

I'm going through my slab for my washer/sink drain int he garage.

"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject. " John Lott

"Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater." Peter Venetoklis
nissan_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:21 AM   #5
Junkman

It would take me about 10 - 15 minutes with my Milwaukee hammer drill to do this job. It also depends on the concrete. If it is green, it goes faster. If your foundation is like my high strength concrete, it is going to take longer. It also depends on how large the stone was in your mix. If they used small stone, it goes faster than if they used 3/4" / 1" stone. Too many variables to make a call on this type of job without knowing the details...

Men wake up as good-looking as they went to bed.
Women somehow deteriorate during the night.

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
Junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:36 AM   #6
diiulio

I agree with the above posters, I would rent a core drill, but you could hire a local guy to drill it and he'd probably charge you $150-200. Usually you could call a concrete guy or even a fence installation company and they may give you a decent price. Fence installers sometimes have to core all their holes for posts when set in existing concrete, so they have the equipment and knowledge plus they might be slow since winter is hitting, at least here anyway. If you do rent a drill, I would get one that you have to dill a few holes and use concrete anchors/red heads to bolt it on. There are some bases that are vacuum, but only work well when drilling down. Drilling 9" deep shouldn't take too long. It will take you longer setting up and cleaning up the water/slurry from the area then the actual drilling. Even if there is rebar, it isn't a big deal for the core bit.

You could drill a series of holes with a hammer drill and then chip it out, but that would take longer and if you have rebar in the wall, then it will make it more difficult, plus you will have to torch out the rebar.
diiulio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:57 AM   #7
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by diiulio View Post
Fence installers sometimes have to core all their holes for posts when set in existing concrete, so they have the equipment and knowledge plus they might be slow since winter is hitting, at least here anyway. .

I like this idea. When I had my fence installed, the installers easily ripped through the concrete. I will say though, mine was not nine inches thick

Good Luck

68 Camaro
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:28 AM   #8
Mattlt

I just put a ~6" hole in my poured basement wall a few weeks ago. Installing an outdoor wood boiler, so I had to run some insulated wall pipe through.

I used a rotary hammer drill to drill a couple of holes, then hit it with a demolition hammer - basically a small jackhammer. Had the hole made in about 15 minutes. $60 from the rental place (the rental guy is a buddy of mine so he gave me a deal)

After running the pipe, I grouted everything up with some mortar.

Oh, and remember to start the hole larger than you think you'll need, as the hole tends to work it's way inward when you start chipping away at it.
Mattlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:43 AM   #9
jmack

I'd try dynamite first.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:25 AM   #10
JMURiz

I used a core drill bit for my dual 3" holes...rented them...even that was $$ but well worth it. My basement wall was a good 10" with rocks and cured since 1940.
Various cars and motorcycles to be stored inside.
JMURiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:41 AM   #11
sberry

You could consider re-design where it left the building thru the sill, then use an LB to turn it down to the underground?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg service 400.JPG (20.1 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by sberry; 11-19-2008 at 10:44 AM.
sberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:36 PM   #12
kbs2244

I had to do two 4 1/2 holes through 10 inches of 30 year old wall with rebar.
HD didn't want to rent for the job because the hole was over 3 inches.
Local rental house didn't care. Gave me 2 core bits "just in case."
Good thing because I used one per hole.
They charged me a sharpeng fee on the bits, but that was all explained up front.
Do have something sturdy to stand on so you are up high enough to get you weight behind the drill.
Like Junkman said, you go in as far as you can, back out and bust it out, and go in again.
It is loud, dusty, and very tiring.
kbs2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:31 PM   #13
rwhite692

Yep, core drill is what you need.

I was able to borrow a core drill w/diamond cutting edge on it (looks like a really long, deep hole saw, w/no pilot) from the guy in my area who builds pools/spas.

The drill itself is powered by a small 2-cycle engine and has a water hose hookup to keep the bit wet. Cutting wet makes all the difference in the world!

Went through 12" of reinforced concrete as if I was drilling through wood.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=16310
rwhite692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:11 PM   #14
Torque1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhite692 View Post
Yep, core drill is what you need.

I was able to borrow a core drill w/diamond cutting edge on it (looks like a really long, deep hole saw, w/no pilot) from the guy in my area who builds pools/spas.

The drill itself is powered by a small 2-cycle engine and has a water hose hookup to keep the bit wet. Cutting wet makes all the difference in the world!

Went through 12" of reinforced concrete as if I was drilling through wood.
Diamonds are a man's best friend...
Torque1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:03 PM   #15
Buckled

Diamond Coring is the way to go. Most rental houses will have a hand held coring motor that you can attach a hose to. The water will keep the dust down and will help to cool the bit also. Most core bits are 17" long so you'll be able to core it in one shot. Check with a local United Rentals or Sunbelt, they usually have a pretty good selection of this type of equipment. Hammer drilling with a carbide tipped core bit is very dusty, slow, and loud. It also won't make a very clean hole. Check out something like this:

http://www.us.hilti.com/holus/module...jsp?OID=-12758
Buckled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:49 PM   #16
tigmusky

1} drilling a bunch of 1/2" holes and then chiping it out by hammer and cheisel or some roto-hammers drills have a hammer only with a chipper bit or automotive type air hammer will work.

2} dry core bits run about $ 50. to $100. and they fit on your big 9" grinder this works well, a little loud and dusty. to keep the dust down use a vac or a squrit bottle of water this will help keep the bit cool too.

good luck Daye
tigmusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:03 PM   #17
Aceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckled View Post
Diamond Coring is the way to go. Most rental houses will have a hand held coring motor that you can attach a hose to. The water will keep the dust down and will help to cool the bit also. Most core bits are 17" long so you'll be able to core it in one shot. Check with a local United Rentals or Sunbelt, they usually have a pretty good selection of this type of equipment. Hammer drilling with a carbide tipped core bit is very dusty, slow, and loud. It also won't make a very clean hole. Check out something like this:

http://www.us.hilti.com/holus/module...jsp?OID=-12758
I completely agree. Diamond core first choice, Rotohammer with carbide core bit second choice.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:48 PM   #18
kbs2244

Now that he reminded me of it, I like sbrry27's idea.
Easy to get through the wall. and keeps the opening above grade (possible water problems).
kbs2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:45 PM   #19
jtrace

Exactly what Buck said I worked in a rental store for 16 years all you need is a hand held core drill 4" is the biggest you could go with the machine we had it was a 110 volt with a garden hose hook up the bit will cost you more than the drill to rent diamond bits are expensive..

John
jtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:09 PM   #20
nissan_crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrace View Post
Exactly what Buck said I worked in a rental store for 16 years all you need is a hand held core drill 4" is the biggest you could go with the machine we had it was a 110 volt with a garden hose hook up the bit will cost you more than the drill to rent diamond bits are expensive..

John
how much did that run?

"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject. " John Lott

"Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater." Peter Venetoklis
nissan_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote