Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-19-2008, 01:13 AM   #1
autoace

Default Snap-on vs. Cornwell

I have noticed that Snap-on seems to be the Bad Leroy Brown of this site. I have alot of it, and think it is good. I also think Snap-on is getting too big for it's britches, with unreliable, cocky truck vendors, also warranty duckers. Any hardline item from Cornwell is as good or whips SO from screwdrivers to sockets. So far with bend over backwards service. I see multiple SO "snap off" threads every day. Snap-on tools are as over done as Chevy Camaros are in the hot rod mags. I don't buy much from SO anymore, Cornwell,Hazet,Wiha,Wright,&Witte are all better than comparable choices. I think SO is starting to charge for name only, with quality being second, their field service is horrible, but that varies dealer to dealer. Sorry Snap-on worshipers, they are not the ONLY game in town.
autoace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:17 AM   #2
Merkava_4
Banned

Default Re: Snap-on vs. Cornwell

I've got Snap-on AND Cornwell; you got nothin' on me brother.
Merkava_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-19-2008, 01:29 AM   #3
nissan_crawler

Considering I've never seen a cornwell truck, haven't seen a matco truck, the mac truck is sketchy at best for showing up, Snap-On pretty much is the only game in town here.

Edit: Just looked at Cornwells site. The dealer locator sucks, the online catalog sucks (Can't even call it a catalog, IMHO), and 30 tooth ratchets suck. *shrug* I have yet to see much convincing.

"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject. " John Lott

"Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater." Peter Venetoklis

Last edited by nissan_crawler; 11-19-2008 at 01:32 AM.
nissan_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:32 AM   #4
autoace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava_4 View Post
I've got Snap-on AND Cornwell; you got nothin' on me brother.
Maybe you have a good SO vendor. When the SO guy saw the Cornwell guy at my shop he told my employees he would not warranty any SO tools if he caught them with Cornwell, he also started charging for bit socket inserts, ratchet kits, and refused anything unless he felt like it. He was the third A-hole Snap-on guy in a row. I'm about ready to sell off all my SO stuff on ebay, SO representatives have the misconceived notion, that the pro tool buyers cannot do without them.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:37 AM   #5
Merkava_4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoace View Post
Maybe you have a good SO vendor. When the SO guy saw the Cornwell guy at my shop he told my employees he would not warranty any SO tools if he caught them with Cornwell, he also started charging for bit socket inserts, ratchet kits, and refused anything unless he felt like it. He was the third A-hole Snap-on guy in a row. I'm about ready to sell off all my SO stuff on ebay, SO representatives have the misconceived notion, that the pro tool buyers cannot do without them.
I'll tell you the same thing I tell all the other guys:

It's not the tool's fault; it has no personality.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:37 AM   #6
autoace

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan_crawler View Post
Considering I've never seen a cornwell truck, haven't seen a matco truck, the mac truck is sketchy at best for showing up, Snap-On pretty much is the only game in town here.

Edit: Just looked at Cornwells site. The dealer locator sucks, the online catalog sucks (Can't even call it a catalog, IMHO), and 30 tooth ratchets suck. *shrug* I have yet to see much convincing.
Cornwell does not sell to the general public, fine tooth ratchets are coming soon, with hard handle! Cornwell will happily sell you Wright, Witte, Hazet, Sir,AST,etc.etc.I like the brand flexibility and the service.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:42 AM   #7
autoace

Quote:
I'll tell you the same thing I tell all the other guys:

It's not the tool's fault; it has no personality.
I agree,SO tools are very good,I won't pay for belligerence, and crappy service, what I need/want will come from SO online, like the tech angle torque wrench,etc. But the SO "milkmen" will have to learn a valuable lesson.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:44 AM   #8
nissan_crawler

I brought my one month old ratcheting screwdriver in to Ann (Snap-On lady) because it didn't loosen up and didn't feel right to me. She handed me her stock and told me to pick what I wanted.

She GIVES ME ratchet rebuild kits, I rebuild them myself (no wait), and give her the old guts the next week.

I ordered a new LED stinger flashlight from her because my charger broke and the switch is flaky on my old regular bulb stinger. She gave me a new regular bulb stinger and charger to use until the new one shows up (two weeks now).

She also gave me a $55 trade in on my old streamlight which has a bad switch, bad lens, and no charger.

I got a 1/4" and 3/8" long handle flex, comfort grip 936 ratchets with green grips for $120.

I wanted to know how an air tool worked, she told me to take it for a week, and come back next week and return it if I didn't like it, or pay for it.

I've broken many tools that she carries (non snap-on stuff), but I didn't buy from her, and she sends them off for warranty, no questions asked.

The point? Your dealer sucks. My old Snap-On dealer sucked ass, too. I walked into his truck once, he got lippy, I threw the tools on the floor of his truck and walked out, never came back.

If you have a warranty issue, contact corporate, they'll take care of it.

The old Snap-On dealer was asked to never show up again finally due to too many mechanics being screwed, and lost business on 500 mechanics. He "retired" very shortly after.

"Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater." Peter Venetoklis
Old 11-19-2008, 01:46 AM   #9
nissan_crawler

Quote:
Cornwell does not sell to the general public, fine tooth ratchets are coming soon, with hard handle! Cornwell will happily sell you Wright, Witte, Hazet, Sir,AST,etc.etc.I like the brand flexibility and the service.
Ok, no truck, no internet sales, apparently they aren't too happy to sell to me. Hell, you can't even find a dealer without entering a bunch of BS info.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:46 AM   #10
DaBears18

Jim Croce!
DaBears18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:51 AM   #11
Merkava_4
Banned

Quote:
But the SO "milkmen" will have to learn a valuable lesson.
You're not teaching them a lesson; you're depriving yourself of a great tool. When is the last time you had a Snap-on screwdriver cuss you out and call you bad names?

Find yourself a different dealer or buy off the website.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:01 AM   #12
autoace

Quote:
Ok, no truck, no internet sales, apparently they aren't too happy to sell to me. Hell, you can't even find a dealer without entering a bunch of BS info.
You will see one once they have enough vendors, they have to put on gloves with the Snap-on nation, they are a small company compared to Snap-on, they are on the rise, still family owned, they are the only tool company that is still "governed" by the original families' descendants. I am a Hazet fan, and like the fact they will warranty any lifetime tool you buy from them for you, even if it's not theirs. I hope they don't sell online and stay small enough to maintain their service, they have no choice that way, pros are their ONLY customer so they cater to us only.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:08 AM   #13
nissan_crawler

I'm a pro, and they're not catering to my shop of 500 mechanics, so, not impressed. *shrug*

My Snap-On dealer honors the warranty on whatever non Snap-On tool you buy, so that changes nothing for me.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:11 AM   #14
autoace

Quote:
You're not teaching them a lesson; you're depriving yourself of a great tool. When is the last time you had a Snap-on screwdriver cuss you out and call you bad names?

Find yourself a different dealer or buy off the website.
Are you a SO dealer??????I can do without SO without any deprivation, I've used just about every brand there is, SO is just another very good tool company, I've had soo much trouble with their employees, I'm finding them inconvienient. Do you think they are better than Wiha??Hazet???Witte?Wright?Cornwell,definitely not, they just don't know it. I'm not arguing with you per say, I respect your perspective on the posts you have wrote, and you seem to be fairly bright. I need to stir the SO pot the other direction, it's a healthy perspective in my opinion.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:14 AM   #15
billymade

It seems there is a direct correlation between the brands people choose to buy from and how well their dealer services them and what they sell. This makes perfect sense to me and was my experience when I worked at a body shop in Northern California; the Snap-oOn guy was the nicest guy to work with, had the most tools in stock on the truck, sold the most tools to everyone at the shop and his warranty replacements were done without complaint or hassle. If he switched to a different brand of truck/tool; everyone probably would have followed him and purchased whatever brand he sold...... I think the brand was less of an issue but the service was what people were loyal to and paying for...

Being able to reach into your rollaway and finding the right tool for any given situation/repair; is the ultimate power trip!

Last edited by billymade; 11-19-2008 at 02:20 AM.
billymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:15 AM   #16
Merkava_4
Banned

I like Cornwell tools and I'm glad you're happy with them; but I don't want to see you deprive yourself of SO tools based on the actions of some of their distributors.

I've been exposed to an A-ho dealer too, but I don't let him stop me from buying SO tools from other sources.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:17 AM   #17
nissan_crawler

Do I think they're better? Yes, I do. I dislike witte/wiha screwdrivers. Wright/cornwell...they're good, but I have yet to see how they're better than Snap-On.

I can't speak as to hazet, as I've never touched one.

I find Cornwell not only inconvenient, but IMPOSSIBLE with no internet sales or dealer. They're not even an option.

The tool doesn't make the service, the person in the truck does. I'll flat out say right now, that there is no way a cornwell truck could provide better service than my Snap-On truck, unless they sell everything at cost.

Hell, I'm not even a big pro Snap-On person.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:18 AM   #18
autoace

Quote:
I'm a pro, and they're not catering to my shop of 500 mechanics, so, not impressed. *shrug*

My Snap-On dealer honors the warranty on whatever non Snap-On tool you buy, so that changes nothing for me.
In my area, it's too bad there has been soo many bad vendors, I have an alternative, I was reluctant of Cornwell when they first arrived, but pleasantly surprised. If the day comes when, your SO vendor/rep is a TOOL and you have a Cornwell dealer, you might see what I mean, if you have a good SO dealer, great, if I had one, Cornwell might not of had a chance.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:24 AM   #19
Merkava_4
Banned

If I want a tool bad enough, I don't care who sells it or doesn't sell it, I'm gonna get it.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:28 AM   #20
autoace

Quote:
If I want a tool bad enough, I don't care who sells it or doesn't sell it, I'm gonna get it.
Well the Tech angle torque wrench and those T-handle ratchet wrenches are on my wish list, but I will buy them online. I don't need a dealer for the few things I really WANT, that are exclusive to SO. I can do without most of it though.