Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-23-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
Metric

Default OTC "Floor Boss" jack?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a good floor jack and I came across this one:
http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?P...OD&ProdID=9209

I like the lift range and the lifetime warranty. I'm not sure what "assembled in the US" means though - maybe they put the stickers on it in the US ?

Anybody around here's had any experience with that one? Is it really a step above their Stinger line? Anybody knows a cheaper source, maybe?

I won't be using it in a shop, just at home, but it'll get used quite a bit, and not just to rotate the tires . I'm also just kinda done with the craftsman grade jacks. Do you guys think this is a bit "too much" for just home use? I heard the Stinger ones were pretty decent too and half the price!

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.
Metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:41 PM   #2
garfunkle24

Send a message via MSN to garfunkle24
Default Re: OTC "Floor Boss" jack?

I don't know much about the "floor boss" jack but I can tell of you my experience with the imported Stinger line. I decided to go with the 3.5 ton stinger and it came with 6 ton jack stands. The first one I got was leaking right at the shaft seal and it was leaking heavily. It wasn't due to a lack of pressure on the seal as even when operated it continued to leak profusely.

I took the whole set back and exchanged it. The jack in the new set seems to be fine but one of the jack stands was defective. When you dropped the upper part in it 'wedged' and you couldn't drop it to the lowest height. I saw two problems when I looked closer. The top of the lower piece (the mechanism etc) is separate to the a-frame part and had been welded on a couple of degrees crooked. Also the top piece had really thick paint and burrs on the teeth which I cleaned up with a file and wire wheel.

The set now functions properly, but between these problems and the generally poor finish of the pieces, it has left a sour taste in my mouth for this line of product.

Until now I have always had good luck with OTC and considered them a good brand. I have pry-bars, pullers, bearing drivers, flaring tools etc and they are all great quality.

If it were me, and I could turn back the clock, I would stump up the extra cash for the ones that are at least 'assembled' in the USA.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
Stuart in MN

OTC = Owatonna Tool Company, based in Owatonna, Minnesota. I can't speak for that particular jack but the company is about one hour south of me.
Stuart in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
Metric

Man, that's a bummer I had only heard good things about their specialty tools and I guess I just assumed the jacks would be good too :/
I guess I should probably just keep looking for a quality used one ...
Thanks for the input though .
Old 11-23-2008, 04:43 PM   #5
Elroy
Banned

Your choice of floor jack is purely yours. Elroy merely offers these links as research material.

http://www.hydjack.com/
http://www.usjack.com

For some entertainment you might be interested in this:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=18055

Good luck to ya on making the proper selection.
Elroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
vssjim
Alliance Member

The Stinger line of products are always OTC's chinee line only sold on price not on quality not of much intrest, most of their regular OTC products are very good.
vssjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #7
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

http://www.asedeals.com/hydraulicjacks2.html

these look good
SpiderGearsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:27 PM   #8
Metric

SpiderGearsMan: Yeah, I'd heard good things about the AC Hydraulics ones. The website says they're all unavailable right now, though . I'll definitely keep an eye on those though, so thanks.

Elroy: Thanks for the links! hydjack.com seems to have decent prices too. Choosing can be so hard sometimes
Old 11-23-2008, 10:36 PM   #9
Elroy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post
Elroy: Thanks for the links! hydjack.com seems to have decent prices too. Choosing can be so hard sometimes
You're welcome. If you're looking to spend $350 you should be able to find a good quality jack. What ever you do, don't buy a piece of shit!.

By a jack that is rebuildable. THAT might be difficult in today's market.

If Elroy was going to buy a $350 jack it would take some shopping around. Good luck to you.
Elroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:06 PM   #10
scottmlew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post
I'm looking for a good floor jack and I came across this one:
http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?P...OD&ProdID=9209
Hi, I'm new here, and don't have nearly the experience with tools and advanced auto work that many of you here clearly have! With that disclaimer made, that's the jack that I have, and I like it a lot. It's much more solid than other comparably priced jacks that my father has. It also lifts quickly (lots of vertical lift per "pump" of the handle) and I find it easy to lower a vehicle slightly (it's very controllable). Even though I like this jack, next time I'd definitely get an AC Hydraulics (if I could afford it). Those jacks are amazing!
scottmlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:20 PM   #11
ricleh

I would assume the Stinger jack was bought because of the price. If you wanted a good quality jack you could have bought an OTC jack. The OTC line of hydraulic floor jacks are fully rebuildable and carry the OTC lifetime marathon warranty. OTC makes as good a jack as any company out there. Then again, you have to pay for that quality. Good luck if you want premium quality at Chinese import prices.
ricleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:33 PM   #12
Treeman

Metric,

Just to cause you some decision grief, this place sells the OTC 1525 for $284 with free shipping:

http://www.toolfetch.com/Brand/OTC/S...ks/OTC1525.htm

Tons of places selling that jack if you do a Google search. Hope there isn't some "catch" to the link I posted. The Hein Werner US model is "almost" as good.

I see OTC is part of SPX. Do they manufacture anything, or just relabel?

If you can find the OTC web site, they have the owners manual for the 1525 there....it shows a seal kit, so it's rebuildable. Here a nice PDF that also includes two "real" US made OTC jacks (maybe).:

http://www.otctools.com/newcatalog/products/04-34.pdf

Trouble with lifetime warranties is who knows what companies will survive in the next few years.

Last edited by Treeman; 11-24-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Treeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:43 PM   #13
ricleh

I think you are safe with OTC. They are still the largest tool manufacturer in the world as far as I know. SPX/OTC also manufactures many of the special tools used in the automotive field. They make thousands of top quality tools, but they also import cheaper tools for individuals who are more price than quality conscious. In my experience I have found that it is not always the smartest thing to get the best quality tool, but usually it is.
ricleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:58 PM   #14
autoace

Norco are excellent, look at the following link, there is nothing wrong with OTC though. http://hyjacks.com/H22.HTM
autoace is offline   Reply With Quote