Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-26-2006, 10:14 PM   #1
johnf
Certified Garage Junkie

Default Tools found in road

Tools I have accidentally found on the road in last few years (riding the dirt roads on a mountain bike helps):
1/2" drive Blackhawk ratchet
three craftsman wrenches
some sockets including Snap-On
Snap-On Screwdriver
Genuine Vise-Grips
Proto 6" adjustable wrench
Gerber Knife in sheath
various cheap tools

I guess people frequently leave things under the hood or on the bumper.
johnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
KeukaDan

I have found ratchets and sockets of all varieties, snapon wrenches, car jacks, a hard hat and I am sure I am forgetting things. Most of these tools I believe were left by people who broke down and tried to do on the spot repairs then forgot their tools.
KeukaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-26-2006, 10:32 PM   #3
Charles (in GA)

Last fall, I rode the Ford 2000 into town to mow a couple of acres for a lady, when I was leaving, I spotted something shiny on the street and stopped and got off the tractor to see what it was. Turned out to be 13 MM and 14 MM flex head gear wrenches. Somebody was a cussing 'bout losing them, I'm sure.

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:33 PM   #4
iiibdsiil

Send a message via AIM to iiibdsiil

I've never found anything, but my Snap-on hammer and my big screwdriver both came from the side of the road courtesy of my dad. He had me to warranty them with my Snap-on guy and I told him he wasn't getting 'em back.

Of course, the bastard didn't replace the screwdriver handle.
iiibdsiil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:46 PM   #5
kblazer87

60 sockets, 5 different ratchets, 18 wrenches and 5 screwdrivers, all Craftsman. Found at the intersection of 2 roads. Truck evidently was making a right turn from main road to the side road at speed and when he did he lost a lot of tools into the weeds at the side of the road. I was riding shotgun in a car and saw something shiny when we pulled up to the stop sign to turn onto the main road. Had my friend stop and when I got out the shiny object was a shallow Craftsman socket. Starting looking around and hit the mother lode a few feet into the grass. Best haul ever! Have stopped for quite a few tools in roads over the years, but not another like that one yet.
Mike
kblazer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 07:08 AM   #6
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmwpower Send a message via Yahoo to bmwpower

I found a 9/16" GearWrench a block from my street. Turns out it probably is my friend's. I told him I found a wrench at the corner of my street and he mentioned that after leaving my house one late night, he made the turn and heard a bunch of tools clanging around. Not sure if I believe him or not....I have yet to give it back to him.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:27 AM   #7
mangomadness

I found a Leatherman Supertool laying on the street in Cody Wyo. The knife blade was out so someone must have put it on the bumper or something. It looked new somebody had to be bummed!
Old 01-27-2006, 08:09 AM   #8
dink

Send a message via Skype™ to dink

Are you guys finding these things because you live out in the middle of no where......because I dont see this kind of thing living in close proxsimity to Dallas
dink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 08:09 AM   #9
gerry

I found a pair of click stop torque wrenches, complete with a plastic case one time. Also found lot's of other stuff including 20' sections of rebar, igloo icechests, fishing tackle box full of gear and a small air compressor. Along the same line, I drove 40 miles with my Fluke 77 multimeter on my back bumper one time. I am lucky I did not loose it.
gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 08:59 AM   #10
wythors
Red Foreman is my idol.

I found a 1/4 drive Craftsman ratchet that I turned in for a new one. Still have it. I also found a brand new commercial mop bucket with wringer attachment standing in the middle of a freeway on-ramp. My ex-MIL has that. My two best finds were a $10 bill in the middle of Main Street on a dark rainy night and a $20 bill in the parking lot of a store at 6:00 in the morning setting up for a car show. I was able to buy coffee, milk, OJ and donuts for the entire club.
Original GarageJunkies.net member #329
wythors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:04 AM   #11
Coach James

I found a Blackhawk 7/8 combination wrench in the road ~20 years ago. I also found a Cornwell 3/8 ratchet in a parking lot at school. Both are still going strong. I've found several trash cans, 5 gallon buckets, a stainless steel sink, filing cabinet, fishing pole, 1"diameter 18" long Irwin auger bit, pair of crutches and a few sockets along the road.

The crutches are in my garage and all the other stuff has been put to good use.
Coach
Coach James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:36 AM   #12
gerry

Speaking of finding money, I used to have some half copies of a $20 bill that came from some add company in New Orleans. Looked real if you saw it on the ground. I used to play games with people. I'd place it under something heavy, like a car tire or garbarge can so about a third of the bill could be seen then set back and watch. It was amazing the lengths that people would go to trying to pick it up without being noticed. Some would drop stuff so they could bend down unnoticed, others would bend down to tie their shoe. One guy actually tried to push my car backwards to get the bill out from under the tire. This was long before the days of digital cameras and camcorders. I also used to superglue a quarter to the floor at work just to see who would go to the trouble to get it up. Tried nickles and dimes but nobody even bothered to bend over for them
gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:46 PM   #13
pl_silverado

I found a 3/8" Craftsman ratchet, and a Phillips snap-on screwdriver... thats about it for now.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:00 PM   #14
BOSS351C
Garageaholic

I have found a blackhawk 15mm wrench, craftsman 1/2" breaker bar, Channel Lock pliers, and a large pry bar (the style with a large screwdriver like handle) everywhere from out in the boonies to subdivisions in large cities. I'm always watching for tools along the roads.
BOSS351C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 03:05 PM   #15
IntrstlarOvrdrve

Well, havent had a license for a really long time, but a few months back i found a set of klein cutters in the road.
IntrstlarOvrdrve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:54 PM   #16
SuperKid

I've got you all beat. I was walking down the road to a friends house, and what should I find? A whole truck full of tools. The truck said "S?a?-O?" the question marks are there because some of the letters were a bit faded and I could read what they said. I bet the guy that lost that truck must've been mad.

Seriously though, I've found a couple of multi-tools, a magnetic pick-up tool, multiple sockets, scissors, thread pitch guages, and a bunch of other stuff.
SuperKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:57 PM   #17
Thumper

Well........found 2 thumb wrenches in the road side by side, an SK 7/16 wrench, a Craftsman 3/8ths rachet, a 16 oz. ball pein hammer....various sockets and extensions over the years, a screwdriver or two.........a scuba tank (don't ask)......among other things.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 08:23 PM   #18
krooser

I got my BIG shop vac from the middle of Wisconsin Hwy 32 just south of Green Bay....
krooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:23 PM   #19
stimpy

found a snap on cotter pin puller on a fuel pump in the truck stop , but bad karma got me as my brother in law lost my whole 1/4 inch drive set (borrowed with out permission )when he was working on his car ( made him and wife by new set ) the next weekend .
Old 01-28-2006, 04:29 AM   #20
stinky
STINKY

Found: 1 love seat I90 west bound hi speed lane, 1x1 sheet metal I77 south bound -- some in the air!, rolling tire - with rim - 480 east bound. Zippo liter in my tire,
Lost: Socket set - forgot on front bumper, board game,the one with the houses and money
WOOSH all over RT322 EAST , 12 pack miller -- same night I sat on a pizza that someone
left in the driver seat of my car!, In a very rusty chevy that had the rear end bust away from the frame, car on gas tank wheels in trunk!
stinky is offline   Reply With Quote