Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-24-2008, 12:19 AM   #1
pfbz

Default How to get Snap-On warranty replacement?

I'm doing a complete tool inventory/purge/restock... 30+ years of tools, many of which are Snap-on.

A handful of the Snap-on tools are not in good shape and I would like to get warranty repair or replacement of them.

I haven't stepped foot on a Snap-on truck in at least 20+ years, and have never actually had a Snap-on warranty replacement.

Should I try and hunt down a local franchise guy at one of his regular stops and just bring him the tools? What should I expect? Is it more or less hassle to try and work through the Snap-on internet customer service guys?

Also, what about proof of purchase? Do these guys want to see receipts (which are *long* gone)? I doubt there would be any corporate computer records from some of the original purchase dates of these tools, in the early '70's.

Do I need to buy some new stuff to build a relationship with the dealer/frachisee before I can expect to get him/her to replace any of my old broken tools?

Also, several of my ratchets are performing poorly... Will they replace them, or tell me to buy a rebuild kit (although I think some are sealed)?

Thanks for any advice or input.
pfbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:28 AM   #2
billymade

Default Re: How to get Snap-On warranty replacement?

First of all I would figure out who your local dealer is that is closest to you; contact customer service to find this out or talk to a repair shop close to you:
http://buy1.snapon.com/snapon-store/customer.asp

To have your local dealer contact you: http://buy1.snapon.com/customerselfservice/Default.aspx

In a perfect world; they should rebuild your ratchets for free, replace broken shanks on screwdrivers and replace any broken tools as well... as many have said/experienced: it all depends on the dealer you are working with, YMMV! Good luck!

Being able to reach into your rollaway and finding the right tool for any given situation/repair; is the ultimate power trip!

Last edited by billymade; 12-24-2008 at 12:30 AM.
billymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-24-2008, 12:36 AM   #3
nissan_crawler

That pretty much comes down to the dealer, as billy said. My dealer wouldn't even blink if you brought it on. I just take the ratchet guts out, hand the broken ones to her in a bag, and she hands me a new kit for free. Buying something new wouldn't hurt to butter them up.

"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject. " John Lott

"Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater." Peter Venetoklis
nissan_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:15 AM   #4
rodm1

I would call him let him know what you have to warranty (if a large amount of stuff) and let him decide if he would like to order or take the stuff out of stock. I would spend a few dollars with them only after the warranty is complete.
rodm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:25 AM   #5
Merkava_4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodm1 View Post
I would spend a few dollars with them only after the warranty is complete.
Merkava_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:38 AM   #6
RickP330

I bought a 1/2" drive ratchet off of E-bay and got a bum deal because it was busted. I brought it on my S/O truck and told my guy right off I bought it for cheap off E-bay. He didn't even blink, he took it and rebuilt it for me no questions asked. I had it back the next week as good as new. It all depends on your sales person I suppose; but mine is just happy to have my business.
RickP
Old 12-24-2008, 06:39 AM   #7
that dan

Angry Re: How to get Snap-On warranty replacement?

good luck, my son's dealer won't replace broken tools but will sell him new one's!
that dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:55 AM   #8
RickP330

Quote:
Originally Posted by that dan View Post
good luck, my son's dealer won't replace broken tools but will sell him new one's!
In my area there are three guys I could go to. I go out of my way to deal with the guy I have now he has been following me around and where I work now it's really out of his area. But I guess he knows I could go anywhere I want. If I were you, I'd try someone else if have that option.
Rick
Old 12-24-2008, 07:19 AM   #9
autoace

Good luck, I no longer have SO as my cornerstone tools anymore. I have always spent mega with SO, their warranty is subjective.

For the most part, they will not replace worn tools. You may be able to buy ratchet kits, and odds and ends for repair. Depends on the dealer, but for the most part, slim chance.

It's not just SO, I don't buy a ton of Cornwell either, even though I have a great dealer. I think all truck tool companies are becoming the same, they like to sell you stuff, but warranty is pot luck.

Anyway, I am starting to stock up on good old Craftsman again, after all these years. I want Sears to keep selling them, and want a warranty. I only buy what I HAVE TO from the truck companies. Sears can be a pain, if you get some pop tart of an employee, but most male managers are pretty decent about it.

If you can't get the SO tools replaced, sell them to somebody who can. Good luck!
autoace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:25 AM   #10
Chris Adams

Why not slip the local guy a 50 and ask him if ‘please sir, may I have a warranty’?

Pardon the sarcasm, but really, that's what you guys are saying.

Which is why whenever some guy I’m talking tools with (usually not a pro) starts talking about how wonderful Snap-On’s warranty is I usually laugh.

I have dead Mac, dead Snap-On tools in my junk drawer.
Good for cutting down into useful tools, but warranty? No that’s what you get at Harbor Freight and Sears.

Truck dealers around here DON’T want your business, much less to warranty items. They only want credit customers at shops.
HF you can walk in and replace the tool. You have to keep the receipt on some items, but at least you can GET a new one.

Best thing about Snap-On is you can buy replacement ratchet guts when you need them, just put them in yourself.
Chris Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:38 AM   #11
GDA

Here is my suggestion as I am not a professional (accountant) and I had to build a relationship with my SO guy from scratch.

I would suggest you call him up and give him a quick run down on who you are and where you live and tell him a little bit about what (how many) tools you have. Given your history with SO tools this should get you off on the right foot. Then talk a little about your plans to replace and upgrade some stuff over the next couple months/years and talk to him about how you'd like to work with the right person and see what he says. This is now his chance to tell you about the way he operates and get your business now and in the future. Only then if all seems to be right, would I bring up the idea that you would like to meet up sometime soon and pick up some items. Again, I'd pick up a couple items and one big ticket item if you can. This will show diversity in purchasing along with the ability to buy something of substance from him. After that buy wait a couple weeks and then call him back to get a couple items warrantied. Take it from there.

Like everything in life a good relationship involves time and effort and some give and take.

My SO guy after the first year started to offer to drop by my house at the end of a day's route when he would be near the suburb or mail me my stuff I ordered for free. I now get a standard 15% off internet listed price and on a recent air tool purchase got close to 35% off.

Wish you all the best.
GDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:24 AM   #12
terabyte

if I were in your exact shoes I would deal with the corporate office over the phone and or internet. dealing with a sales person when trying to get warranty is like pulling teeth in my experience.
terabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:26 PM   #13
bushhawg73

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDA View Post
Here is my suggestion as I am not a professional (accountant) and I had to build a relationship with my SO guy from scratch.

I would suggest you call him up and give him a quick run down on who you are and where you live and tell him a little bit about what (how many) tools you have. Given your history with SO tools this should get you off on the right foot. Then talk a little about your plans to replace and upgrade some stuff over the next couple months/years and talk to him about how you'd like to work with the right person and see what he says. This is now his chance to tell you about the way he operates and get your business now and in the future. Only then if all seems to be right, would I bring up the idea that you would like to meet up sometime soon and pick up some items. Again, I'd pick up a couple items and one big ticket item if you can. This will show diversity in purchasing along with the ability to buy something of substance from him. After that buy wait a couple weeks and then call him back to get a couple items warrantied. Take it from there.

Like everything in life a good relationship involves time and effort and some give and take.

My SO guy after the first year started to offer to drop by my house at the end of a day's route when he would be near the suburb or mail me my stuff I ordered for free. I now get a standard 15% off internet listed price and on a recent air tool purchase got close to 35% off.

Wish you all the best.
X2, You have to get to know the dealer. I would meet them and buy something small that I wanted anyway. BS a little and tell him or her about the tools. Most dealers will be happy to help. I deal with two different Snap on dealers. One because it is easy to meet with him and make my tool payments and the other one because I like the guy and give him my business.
bushhawg73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 04:50 AM   #14
Vinko

I bought some things on the truck today, with my 3 year old son, (a small ball pein hammer, and a box), and we had yet again another conversation about warranty. He said that he's got some guys who all they do is buy SnapOn at flea markets and try to warranty it. He won't do it anymore. I think it's the right decision. We talked about tool abuse. He'll warranty most types, like a guy who uses a non-impact when a impact wouldn't been right for the job, because if a guy needs a thin-walled socket, what's he gonna do?
Vinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 07:30 AM   #15
daveblank

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickP330 View Post
I bought a 1/2" drive ratchet off of E-bay and got a bum deal because it was busted. I brought it on my S/O truck and told my guy right off I bought it for cheap off E-bay. He didn't even blink, he took it and rebuilt it for me no questions asked. I had it back the next week as good as new.

If it was a regular ratchet why did he take it to rebuild it? Does he not do it tight there in front of you?
Old 05-08-2009, 06:02 PM   #16
Tiki

If you are the original owner, the best thing is to write to Snap-on and request warranty coverage. If granted, you will be able to get serviced under their mail-in warranty service program. Make sure you insure the package(s)!!

http://www1.snapon.com/display/termsofsale.nws

And for those of you who are thinking about buying SO tools off of eBay: "This warranty only extends to the original Customer and cannot be transferred or assigned."

A lot of dealers will honor warranties because they are technically independent businesses and have the option to do that. Some will in order to build personal relationships among their existing or potential customers.
Tiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:52 PM   #17
rsanter

I havent had a snap on guy in years
my dad had a snap on ratchet that was skipping so I took it and called snap on for the dealer nearest my work. called him and told him I had a ratchet that needs a kit. he came by the next week on his rounds and fixed the ratchet with no question.
after that I went ahead and bought the metric line type crowsfoot set I wanted and a couple of the crowsfoot holders.
since then I have bought a couple of things here and there. I call him and tell him what I want and if he has it he drops by the following week. if he orders it he comes by a couple of weeks later

bob
Old 05-08-2009, 06:57 PM   #18
jdcompman

Just send them in. I have done this and multiple others have as well. Sent my broken tools in and got my new replacements the next week. Seriously the most painless way of doing it IMHO.

send it in to this address:

If you have broken tools, please send them to
Snap On RPC ARS
2801 80th ST Dock 8
Kenosha, WI 53143

Please include a sheet of paper with all part numbers, your first and last name, shipping address, and contact phone number.
jdcompman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:12 PM   #19
porschedude996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcompman View Post
Just send them in. I have done this and multiple others have as well. Sent my broken tools in and got my new replacements the next week. Seriously the most painless way of doing it IMHO.

Snap On RPC ARS
2801 80th ST Dock 8
Kenosha, WI 53143

Please include a sheet of paper with all part numbers, your first and last name, shipping address, and contact phone number.
Thanks, I have a real problem with my Industrial Rep. he is a real flake.

I called one other guy and he said that he would be at a certain business at a certain time, but now that you highlighted the fact that I can send the items direct to SO, that is what I am going to do.
porschedude996TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #20
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcompman View Post

Snap On RPC ARS
2801 80th ST Dock 8
Kenosha, WI 53143

I've done this recently with about $165 worth of tools, in about a week had them at the front door. I did notice they put Internet customer on the return invoice as I do buy my SO tools direct on line.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote