Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-14-2009, 08:45 PM   #741
ATTappman

Default Re: The Harbor Freight PASS/FAIL Thread...

12 Piece Industrial Punch and Chisel Set, the orange ones - FAIL.

Too soft, ends mushroom easily. The orange "paint" turned to a sticky goo after a while, started rubbing off on everything. Each piece has an annoying safety label on it, which also becomes sticky after a while. Every one I used started to rust on the unpainted surfaces. I threw them away.

ATTappman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:50 PM   #742
myridge

The Air nibler a PASS, Its well worth the $16 bucks I paid for it. It is an air hog and really needs 90psi to work well. But it cut out all my patch panels for my CJ-7 project with no problem.

Also has been nice. It works great and uses very little air at all. PASS for $25 bucks its beats the $70-90 from other tool sites.

The 3" cutoff tool is a PASS, It cuts well but uses alot of air. Worth the $9 bucks I paid for it.

MARGINAL/FAIL the 2" sander is a Marginal fail. It just loads up quickly and bogs down. For light duty sanding it works well but I wanted it for smoothing welds and tight body work and its sucks for that. Also its hard to get consumibles for it. They carry hardly any replacement discs for it in store.

PASS - I instead use a die grinder with 2" 80-120grit discs. (which the disc's suck but they are cheap so I replace them often.)
myridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #743
Ed ke6bnl

Quote:
Originally Posted by myridge View Post
The Air nibler a PASS, Its well worth the $16 bucks I paid for it. It is an air hog and really needs 90psi to work well. But it cut out all my patch panels for my CJ-7 project with no problem.

Also has been nice. It works great and uses very little air at all. PASS for $25 bucks its beats the $70-90 from other tool sites.

MARGINAL/FAIL the 2" sander is a Marginal fail. It just loads up quickly and bogs down. For light duty sanding it works well but I wanted it for smoothing welds and tight body work and its sucks for that. Also its hard to get consumibles for it. They carry hardly any replacement discs for it in store.

PASS - I instead use a die grinder with 2" 80-120grit discs. (which the disc's suck but they are cheap so I replace them often.)

The 3" cutoff tool is a PASS, It cuts well but uses alot of air. Worth the $9 bucks I paid for it.

This 3 in cutoff saw works and I have used it for years BUT this is one of the tools I would like to upgrade to a super heavy duty one that would real cut without stalling through autobody work any suggestions ED
Ed ke6bnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:19 PM   #744
myridge

12volt 150Psi compressor - PASS - This has been super handy tool to leave in my jeep. Its puts out lots of air for such a small compressor. I'd compare it to a VIAR or similiar for much less $$$. on sale for $49 reg price is $79 and its worth it. major pass for the money.

Flex head ratchet wrench set -PASS- I was looking at Craftsmen flex heads at sears for $99 a set and ended up buying these both Metric and SAE for less than $70 combined. For the price they cannot be beat. I broke a craftsmen ratchet wrench which is why I was going to sears to replace it and after seeing the price of a new flex head set I changed my mind and ended up puting the old craftsmen set in the Jeep tool bag and put the Pittsburg tools in my home box they are tougher than the craftsmens

Colored Gear wrench's, -PASS- the coloring wears off fast but overall quality of the wrench itself is nice. The ratchet mechanism is strong and I have put allot of force on them and so far no breakage. For the $29 I have to pass them.

110amp MIG welder Dual MIG 151 - MAJOR PASS - I know I was shocked. I bought it refurb online for $125 bucks and had pretty low expecations and I was very pleased with it. I have burned 1 roll of flux through it (SUCKS) then about 3 rolls of solid core (with GAS) this thing works great on 25/75 gas. Its smooth consistant and works better than my SNAP-ON YA217. It doesn't slip or bind it just works great. The ground clamp sucks but works, The torch lead could be longer its only 6 or 8' and I replaced the short power lead for a 25' cord but for $125 bucks major PASS

MAJOR FAIL - 4 3/4 Welding Magnet they just suck. I bought a dozen of them thinking how cool they would be to hold my junk while welding and they just don't have much power. They typically fall off or cannot support the metal they are trying to hold together while welding and they end up falling on the floor then collect a crap load of grinding dust to them. Not worth the $1 each I paid for them.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #745
myridge

Oh I forgot one but I think its been said before on here.

Blue Flame Autodarkening helmet. I say Major PASS for $49 bucks.
It always works, charges itself, is clear to see through, I can compare it to a hobart/miller hood that I had that used batteries and I like this one better. Mainly because its solar and I don't worry about picking up the helmet with dead batteries.

Anyone try there Plasma Cutter???? I am tempted on sale and with 20% off coupon it gets affordable but still its over $500-600 bucks for a tool I don't know much about. But it beats over a $1000 bucks for a big name Miller or Thermal Dynamics for a backyard shadetree gear head like myself that will use it once a year but really wants one.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:25 PM   #746
jeepnut24

Quote:

MAJOR FAIL - 4 3/4 Welding Magnet they just suck. I bought a dozen of them thinking how cool they would be to hold my junk while welding and they just don't have much power. They typically fall off or cannot support the metal they are trying to hold together while welding and they end up falling on the floor then collect a crap load of grinding dust to them. Not worth the $1 each I paid for them.

Truth... FAIL from me too. They pick up grinding dust, but thats about all they will hold. I about chucked one the other day when it fell off when I was spotting a panel in and it took the panel with it when it fell.
jeepnut24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:58 PM   #747
sasquach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed ke6bnl View Post

This 3 in cutoff saw works and I have used it for years BUT this is one of the tools I would like to upgrade to a super heavy duty one that would real cut without stalling through autobody work any suggestions ED
Lube up the wheel with wax . That is what I have been doing for years and it works great . My Blue Point also stalls cutting through some bodywork also
sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:28 PM   #748
2many projects

I've bought many things in the 2 Massachusetts stores nearest me this fall and summer.
I've ordered an engine run in test stand that's currently on back-order.
Jury is still out on that one. It's priced way under the competition although I'm sure it's very light duty and will probably need numerous modifications.
I'll let you know about it next month when it arrives.
Other stuff I've purchased......
Cobalt drill bits... pass
12V plug in car heater....fail, blew fuses only 2 minutes into operation.
$20. dial back timing light ... pass
Boxes of blue nitrate glove... pass
Orbital sander... pass
Alumn. jack stands..... pass
Hard wood furniture moving dollies...barely pass, the bearings inside the casters were rusty.
Hook and loop sand paper... pass
$49 auto darkening welding helmet... pass
Welding blanket... pass
Urethane floor jack and jack stand pads... pass
Other cheap one or two times use consumable tools. Use them 'till they die, throw them out or get some new ones under their warranty exchange program.
If you still got the sales slip, they'll help you out.
What's wrong with that?
I'm not a professional mechanic, only a weekend hobbyist doing my hot rod and muscle car thing.
Imported, low cost tools last me a long time.
All my air tools are from H.Freight.
Only my whizzer died prematurely. I used the wrong oil in it and gooped it up, my own fault.
All the other H.F. pneumatics are 15 years old and still perform flawlessly.
My sockets, wrenches, breaker-bars ratchets, torque wrench, screw drivers and major duty stuff come from Sears and Snap-on.
They last a life time with my type of use.
2many projects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:35 PM   #749
metal1313

hmm they must have changed the magnets some how, becuase the ones i have are actually pretty good, they are quite strong. im also pleased that people have had good luck with the panel flanger, i do think it is the same as many other venders offer for much much more
metal1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:09 PM   #750
lodemia

I thought this was funny. When I think shock and welder at the same time...

Quote:
110amp MIG welder Dual MIG 151 - MAJOR PASS - I know I was shocked.
lodemia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:45 PM   #751
stovall

Send a message via ICQ to stovall Send a message via AIM to stovall Send a message via MSN to stovall Send a message via Yahoo to stovall

Heavy Duty 2.5 Ton Long Frame Floor Jack - #42820
This thing is amazing!!!!!! If for no other reason you can jack a vehicle up to the point you don't have to bend over to work on it! It has almost 3' of travel which also gets a car up enough that you can almost sit under it. I wish I had bought one of these a long time ago; it sure would have made my life easier! Don't forget the jack stands, I highly recommend the 6 ton ones. Never rely soley on the jack!!!
stovall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:41 PM   #752
tcianci

Send a message via AIM to tcianci

I was just there the other day and bought a carpet cutter for a rug removal job at home. I got about 3 feet down the room when the thing jammed with carpet yarns and even after cleaning it out, it wouldn't cut worth a darn. FAIL
Old 12-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #753
Kail

Throatless sheer: pass (have to tighten it up once in a while)

Small cheap planishing hammer: pass (great for the way cheap price, i polished the heads though)

Mini sheet metal brake: fail (pos)

90 grinder: fail (real chattery gets hot after a minute of use)

air drill: fail (wont turn off)

C Clamps: Pass

Portable sand blaster: ehh (doesnt have a cover to recover and keep the sand from blasting back at you..)
Kail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:42 PM   #754
Chris Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcianci View Post
I was just there the other day and bought a carpet cutter for a rug removal job at home. I got about 3 feet down the room when the thing jammed with carpet yarns and even after cleaning it out, it wouldn't cut worth a darn. FAIL
Did you have a part number on that? Just curious, my carpet (what there is of it,) is new, but you never know.
Chris Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #755
Mickey O

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2many projects View Post
$49 auto darkening welding helmet... pass
I'd rethink that one, you won't really know until it's too late. If ever you're going to spend good money on a decent product this is one of them.

Cheap tools are for chumps.

...the wealthy can currently “accumulate many millions of dollars in these accounts, substantially more than is needed to fund reasonable levels of retirement saving.”
Mickey O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:52 PM   #756
norry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed ke6bnl View Post
I have an old Dynabrade that I bought from some guy who was selling off old NOS Dynabrade stuff on Ebay, paid $50 if I remember right. I think it was made in Taiwan (d'oh! thought it would be US or Japan) but it blasts through stuff with a Sait wheel and a strong compressor. Uses plenty of air, but I think any decent cutoff wheel will do that.
norry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #757
Ed ke6bnl

Just thought I would mention that the air powered 1/2in belt sander on what looks like a angle grinder never worked out of the box. BAD BAD BAD and I am one to have a few good things to say about HF
Ed ke6bnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:38 PM   #758
Chris Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey O View Post
I'd rethink that one, you won't really know until it's too late. If ever you're going to spend good money on a decent product this is one of them.
Dunno what you mean? I bought a three year old used HF autodarking for 5 bucks and it works perfectly. That was 14 months ago. Been sitting for a few months, grabbed it to tack some wrought iron together and it still works perfectly.

For that I should have bought a 150 dollar helmet?

If you buy a new one, and it gives you trouble, you can take it back.
Seems like a pretty simple purchase to me.
Chris Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #759
Hiball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Adams View Post
Dunno what you mean? I bought a three year old used HF autodarking for 5 bucks and it works perfectly. That was 14 months ago. Been sitting for a few months, grabbed it to tack some wrought iron together and it still works perfectly.

For that I should have bought a 150 dollar helmet?

If you buy a new one, and it gives you trouble, you can take it back.
Seems like a pretty simple purchase to me.
Id say if your using your helmet once or twice every 3 years they will be fine, Maybe... I think what he was getting at was someone who is gonna use there helmet daily should invest in a more reliable brand. There is some things i will cheap out on but when it comes to me or my families safety im not buying the cheapest thing on the market. I would rather use a flip down mask than take a chance on doing any possible damage to the 1 set of eyes i have. Its obvious by reading this thread that items that work for 1 person generally show up a couple pages later with a big FAIL from another user.

Need a Seal Kit? Contact Hydraulic Parts Supply at 620-594-2247

BRC 6/9/22 - 3/5/12 My Best Friend and the Greatest Man i ever Knew RIP...
Hiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #760
RAYJAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey O View Post
how is this helmet .......

Kobalt
Autodarkening Helmet

Item #: 190724 Model: SGY-A2
$138.00

same helmet as the HF one ...............

price does not tell all
Thank You Snap On, I now know how it feels to be toilet paper
Quote:
People complain that "Craftsman warranty depends on who you talk to at the store"....

"SNAP-ON warranty depends on your dealer - at 10x the cost."
RAYJAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harbor freight