Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #961
subarub4

Default Re: The Harbor Freight PASS/FAIL Thread...

The 2-ply gloves?
subarub4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:24 PM   #962
Bluetools

Send a message via Skype™ to Bluetools

Harbor Freight make a great living knocking off USA designed and manufactured tools and are too lazy to ever actually improve or innovate anything. At least some of the budget tool distributors sell funky new designs and commission new products. Don't be complaining about losing jobs overseas if all you worry about is saving a few dollars on tools which may or may not hold up for more than occasional use.
Bluetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #963
fxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetools View Post
Harbor Freight make a great living knocking off USA designed and manufactured tools and are too lazy to ever actually improve or innovate anything. At least some of the budget tool distributors sell funky new designs and commission new products. Don't be complaining about losing jobs overseas if all you worry about is saving a few dollars on tools which may or may not hold up for more than occasional use.

please....

didn't we have enough of this in this thread.
fxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:11 PM   #964
sasquach

Leave it to the new guy to stir the pot .
sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:32 PM   #965
Orangemopar

Quote:
I wouldn't have a problem paying more for a certain tool if the quality were actually better and still made in the USA. Take Vise-Grips for example. I was at Sears the other day going to buy a new set but guess what, "Made In China". Why would I pay $40 for something I could get at Harbor Freight for about a quarter of the price.

Back to pass/fail. Has anybody bought the pintle hitch reciever mount and pintle hitch hook from here? I'm in the process of buying an old military trailer that has a pintle hitch on it. Still undecided to go with the traditional hook or the ball mount combo. Here are the links:

Pintle Mount:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95407

5 Ton Pintle Hook:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95408

Pintle Hook with 2" Ball:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96198
Orangemopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:04 AM   #966
wineslob

This past weekend I bought the 1/4" drive ratcheting torque wrench so I could do the transmission bands on my wifes Exploder. Worked like a champ, with a really good "break" point when you reach torque.
Build quality was a little rough, finish wise, but for 20 bucks, not bad.
wineslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:38 AM   #967
kooldino

Send a message via ICQ to kooldino Send a message via AIM to kooldino

Harbor Freight 20 ton press. Epic fail. Broke the first time I used it where the bottle jack meets the frame. Also tons of play in the horizontal moving part.
kooldino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:36 AM   #968
IONH

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooldino View Post
Harbor Freight 20 ton press. Epic fail. Broke the first time I used it where the bottle jack meets the frame. Also tons of play in the horizontal moving part.
Is that the A frame (if one exists?) or the H frame?

I have the 20 ton H frame item 32879 and it has performed like a champ. What was odd, IMO, is that it did not come with a handle for the jack (nor is there one pictured).

I upgraded from the 12 ton A frame item 1667 which I overloaded on pressing a wheel bearing out and the ring up top which holds in the jack broke causing the bottle jack to launch outward (thankfully away from me).
IONH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:20 PM   #969
sprint7

3/8" Heavy Duty Composite Ratchet ITEM 66313-2VGA
I have had this ratchet for about 6 months and I really like it! Only issue is the selector is backwards from every other ratchet I have. Overall MAJOR PASS

Digital Scale ITEM 95364-6VGA I bought this to weight racecar parts. Goes up to 11 lbs. MAJOR PASS

6-1/2" Wire Strippers with Pressure Adjustment ITEM 66690 They look just like the Matco stripper but these are a POS. Returned them. MAJOR FAIL

1/8" Air Micro Die Grinder ITEM 47869 Works pretty good. PASS

I'll add others as I think of them.
sprint7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #970
RAYJAY

Quote:

ok where's the review ..............
Thank You Snap On, I now know how it feels to be toilet paper
Quote:
People complain that "Craftsman warranty depends on who you talk to at the store"....

"SNAP-ON warranty depends on your dealer - at 10x the cost."
RAYJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #971
RbrtAWhyt

Quote:
Damn, theres an very well thought out original statement...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose-LandTran
You can only get the clap so many times before it turns into applause...

Hit me up on Facebook.
RbrtAWhyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:31 PM   #972
rrudd2

Quote:
Do I detect an ulterior motive????? Perhaps sprinkled with a touch of bitterness?

Quote:
About Bluetools

Biography
Main interests and many years experience fixing cars and various enterprises related to electronics, but much of my time is spent designing new gadgets and promoting BOJO tools in Europe and non-USA countries
Interests
Ebay, electronics, messing with old cars
Occupation
VP Marketing and Product Design, Bojo Inc.
rrudd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #973
lawfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by IONH View Post
Is that the A frame (if one exists?) or the H frame?

I have the 20 ton H frame item 32879 and it has performed like a champ. What was odd, IMO, is that it did not come with a handle for the jack (nor is there one pictured).

I upgraded from the 12 ton A frame item 1667 which I overloaded on pressing a wheel bearing out and the ring up top which holds in the jack broke causing the bottle jack to launch outward (thankfully away from me).
Every review of one of their presses that I've read includes an update that the user ended up breaking the cast bottom plates that the press pushes against, often resulting in serious ill effects. If you still have that in place, give some thought to replacing it.
lawfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:03 PM   #974
IONH

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfarm View Post
Every review of one of their presses that I've read includes an update that the user ended up breaking the cast bottom plates that the press pushes against, often resulting in serious ill effects. If you still have that in place, give some thought to replacing it.
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is considered the "cast bottom plate"?
IONH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:58 PM   #975
A29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangemopar View Post
I wouldn't have a problem paying more for a certain tool if the quality were actually better and still made in the USA. Take Vise-Grips for example. I was at Sears the other day going to buy a new set but guess what, "Made In China". Why would I pay $40 for something I could get at Harbor Freight for about a quarter of the price.

Back to pass/fail. Has anybody bought the pintle hitch reciever mount and pintle hitch hook from here? I'm in the process of buying an old military trailer that has a pintle hitch on it. Still undecided to go with the traditional hook or the ball mount combo. Here are the links:

Pintle Mount:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95407

5 Ton Pintle Hook:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95408

Pintle Hook with 2" Ball:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96198
Those look like knock-offs of Buyers Products witch is a knock-off of Holland Hitch. Both of those make fine products.
A29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:46 PM   #976
Shadowdog500

Quote:
I assume you are upset because HF sels a cheap copy of your "Made in USA" non marring Pry bar set!

Bojo non marring pry-bar set(one of manny): $15.95 Made in USA

HF copy: $6.99 Made in China

Anyone have a pass fail review of these???

Chris

Last edited by Shadowdog500; 03-16-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:16 AM   #977
Scotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 View Post
I assume you are upset because HF sels a cheap copy of your "Made in USA" non marring Pry bar set!

Bojo non marring pry-bar set(one of manny): $15.95 Made in USA

HF copy: $6.99 Made in China

Anyone have a pass fail review of these???

Chris
The yellow ones work fantastic on weatherstripping, interior pieces, etc. Can't believe it took me so many years to get some.

HF also had those Bojo bars, or ones that look exactly like them too. They were a little more expensive than the yellow ones.
Scotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:23 AM   #978
alamerang

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint7 View Post
3/8" Heavy Duty Composite Ratchet ITEM 66313-2VGA
I have had this ratchet for about 6 months and I really like it! Only issue is the selector is backwards from every other ratchet I have. Overall MAJOR PASS
+1 on those composite ratchets. I have the 1/2" an 1/4" versions and I love them. Light and the fine tooth feature is awesome. A buddy of mine that works on heavy equipment has collected Mac, Matco and Cornwell ratchets over the years and hes told me that now the HF composites are his standard go to ratchets. Very good tool for the money.
alamerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #979
Orangemopar

Thanks A29, I ended up getting the 2" ball version and it looks pretty stout. They didn't have the mounting plate in stock so I had to get it at Tractor Supply. Same piece but about $45 more, both made in China. Oh well.
Orangemopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:03 PM   #980
Crizzle

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95621

ITEM 95621-6VGA - 132lb. capacity roller stand

I picked three of them up on sale last friday at the sidewalk sale for 11.99 ea. I needed something for infeed/outfeed support on my table saw for work I was doing with some longer pieces. I was able to assemble all three in about 10 minutes, and they did the job well. I went with these instead of the 19.99 tripod stand due to the fact that I needed to be abl.e to easily store them. They are all hanging on my wall storage system on one hook right now out of the way. Definite PASS.
Crizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harbor freight