Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-04-2015, 10:05 PM   #1
zepher11

Default Zeph's Quasi WWII Era Shop

Well, it would have been helpful had I found this great site a year or so ago. Fortunately, I did discovered it a few months ago during some searches for general garage information.

Anyway, happy to have found this site and thought I would jump in by posting construction photos of my garage in chronological order. I am just wrapping up my dream garage project, so it'll take me a few days to get organized and post some of the photos.

A little background on me. I raced automobiles for many years, but have now transitioned into my longtime passion which is US WWII history. I started collecting artifacts here and there and then started restoring vehicles on the weekends. I have posted the progression of my garage on some of the military forums, but it is probably more appropriate here.

Bear with me as I get used to posting photos here and figuring out how the forum works.

Initially, I just wanted a bigger garage after having worked out of my attached two car garage all these years. It seems that all the new garages I see being built around here are metal, so I figured that was the way to go. Well, after researching metal vs. stick built and getting quotes for both, I elected to go stick built. I am fortunate that my neighbors across the street are concrete contractors, and the husband of a women that works with me owns a large framing company. That helped in the decision in which way to go.

Initially, I wanted the garage out behind the house, but my wife said that if it was she would never see me again. Therefore, I had to squeeze it into the front yard...which leaves room for an even bigger building someday in the back...:

I elected to have a 6" stem wall all the way around. I figured that if I wanted to hose it out, I didn't want the sill plate sitting right on the foundation. I don't know why, but I just did. Lots of rebar in this concrete slab and footings. I live in California, so this building must withstand the equivalent of two direct nuclear strikes at the same time and not waver:

My layout is 32' x 60' with two small windows on each side. Two 16' x 10', one 12' x 10' and one 10' x 7' garage doors. The small rear door is to help with ventilation as it gets hot here...110 plus in the summer. It will also allow me to keep an eye on the neighbors:

Well, that is all I have in me for tonight. I'll post more photos soon. Looking forward to reading all the great threads here.

Regards,

Zeph
zepher11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:23 PM   #2
blazentrout

Default Re: Zeph's Quasi WWII Era Shop

Welcome aboard and looking forward to your progress
blazentrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-04-2015, 11:27 PM   #3
LORDDiESEL

Great start! Looks like a nice piece of flat land you have.

Welcome buddy!
LORDDiESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:47 AM   #4
Dmar836

Can't wait to see your garage and hopefully some of your collection
Dave
KC
Dmar836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:51 AM   #5
Lippyp

That sounds really interesting as I am also a WWII militaria collector and have a huge amount of books on the subject. Prize item is some Nazi Kriegsgefangene currency from a German POW camp, found in a flea market in France.

My garage is also going to be finished like a WWII Military workshop, partly inspired by my love of all things WWII and also by the war surplus parts store shelving I have. Also the lean-to building behind my garage has steel windows salvaged from on of the many defunct WWII era airbases around us here in Shropshire.

Lover and hoarder of scruffy old tat

My garage build thread. http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=131797
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:10 AM   #6
Bob Hall

Looking forward to seeing your shop! I also collect and use tools and machines from that era. I think you'll find a lot of folks with a similar interest in the "Greatest Generation".

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=283635
Bob Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:33 PM   #7
zepher11

Wow, I didn't realize how much traffic is on this forum. I almost couldn't find my post from yesterday! lol

I appreciate the warm welcome everyone. Phil, that is sooo awesome that you have some windows and such from some WWII air bases. I try to concentrate on WWII Army Air Corp. I have a relative that was a pilot in the 91st Bomb Group. He was shot down over occupied France, but after a few weeks was able to evade with the help of the French Resistance. I just spoke to him yesterday as it was his 93rd birthday!

Here are some more photos of the progress on my garage:

Some of the troops waiting to get in:

Some of the pots I put in the concrete for frame repair or other future projects:

This is early in the morning in August as it was going to be around 110 degrees:

Lumber arrived:

First day with the lumber:

Here is one of the pots in place. The slab was saw cut in basically 10' x 11' sections:

Trusses going up. I ended up going with a 6:12 pitch. I also designed a couple of dormers to give it what I thought was a vintage look. I had to balance my WWII passion with the garage being out front and my wife...:

A whole lotta wood in this thing!

With dormers:

I opted for a 12' high ceiling:

All enclosed:

I'll post some more photos in the next few days.

Zeph
Old 01-05-2015, 09:31 PM   #8
LORDDiESEL

awesome!!!
LORDDiESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:59 PM   #9
zepher11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORDDiESEL View Post
awesome!!!
Thank you!
Old 01-05-2015, 10:27 PM   #10
zepher11

Okay, here are some more progress photos. I debated with myself on siding, and finally decided on hardie board lap siding. It was about $4,000 more, but I figured that since it was basically concrete what the heck. Won't need to worry about it rotting out anytime soon.

Siding day:

Backside:

My wife and my little girl Gracie checking out the height of the window. Head removed upon request:

Agonized over metal or composite roofing. I was soooo close to going with the metal and at the last minute chose to go with composite. I am so happy that I did. I see metal roofs now and they remind me of a dental office:

Bam, it is coming together! Not exactly the WWII motor pool I was originally shooting for, but close in my opinion...which may be biased as I designed it and had it engineered. In California, if it isn't engineered, there must be interior sheer walls sticking into the interior of the garage. I really didn't want that!

Next I had to trench in the power and figure out an apron. I didn't want drainage issues, so I worked it so that I wouldn't have any. I already knew where the drainage issues were, which were basically where the garage was going. That is why I had the slab built extra high....about 12" above grade overall.

I had to scratch in this for my two Vizslas, George and Gracie:

The apron came out great:

Time for paint:

I'll get more posted shortly.

Zeph
Old 01-05-2015, 10:43 PM   #11
jabberwoki

Man that looks like beautiful country!
Nice shop.
jabberwoki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:07 PM   #12
ajohno

That looks great.
ajohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:52 PM   #13
Dmar836

Wow. That's an impressive build. I collect USAAF as well but no vehicles. Still takes up it's own room.
Dave
KC
Dmar836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:57 PM   #14
HOTFR8
Super Moderator

Location: Castlemaine, Victoria. The Hot Rod Centre of Australia.

Nicely done. Looking good.

www.streetrod.com.au

The Beast Runs>http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...0871&showall=1
Sheddwellers>http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...0063&showall=1
The International> http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32307&showall=1

"V8's are Great, But Six inlines Just Fine" - CUMMINS Advertising.
HOTFR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:32 AM   #15
Lippyp

Looking great, can't wait to see what you have got planned for the interior. We are surrounded by old air bases, here in Shropshire we were far enough away from anywhere significant for them to be mostly training bases for bomber crews, little chnce of bumping into a german fighter. We recently took our Beaver scout colony for a guided trip around one that is still used as a light airfield, this was RAF Sleap and was a Lancaster training base. The original control tower is still there and still in use, no hangars just concrete dispersal pans. Im trying to think of them all:

Sleap (light aircraft only)
Tilstock (gone apart from a few derelict remains)
Rednall (Unused but still listed as an emergency field)
Shawbury (still an active military airfield and home to the UK Military Central Helicopter Flying School)
High Ercall

All these are within a few miles of us along with a few others, a full list is here http://shropshirehistory.com/military/airfields.htm

Lots of "surplus" stuff appears in farm buildings around here, it was either sold off when they closed them down or possibly "removed" at some point. The house across the field from us has two WWII era Nissen huts in their garden.

Here are some google earth shots of the stuff around us that you might find interesting. Several of them were used by US forces including Wem Camp which was when it was built the first and largest US ammunition dump in the UK, many of the large quonset hut style buildings are still in use as it now an industrial park. many of the surviving hangars around the areas many airfields have also been put over to commercial use. In fact over Christmas we went for a walk in the grounds of a big stately home called Attingham park, part of our route took us through what is left of Atcham airfield, just some old concrete roads, hut bases and the big concrete pipe type air raid shelters left really.

Childs Ercall

Ternhill

Tilstock

RAF Shawbury (still active duty base)

Rednall

Wem Camp

Sleap

Atcham

Lover and hoarder of scruffy old tat

My garage build thread. http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=131797
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:43 AM   #16
Sunbimmer

Wow very nice stuff, thanks for sharing and please keep us updated

Sunbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:56 AM   #17
Boosted1
Alliance Member

Great build.
I love the size and look so far.
Boosted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:43 AM   #18
eRoD

awesome build!

but I have to ask, any pictures of the vizslas?
eRoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:22 AM   #19
schmelpboy

images.jpg
Old 01-06-2015, 11:02 AM   #20
vonhef

Great looking place. Although I don't collect, have since childhood also enjoyed WW2 history including the equipment used.
Thanks for sharing!

My Current Project: Hidey-Hole in the woods
vonhef is offline   Reply With Quote