Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-05-2009, 10:31 PM   #21
dropride

Default Re: Mr. Heater Big Maxx Problem

What needed to be modified? I called modine today to try and get some tech support for mine and they wouldnt even talk to me cause i am not a contractor.
dropride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:21 AM   #22
Steve Szakats

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropride View Post
I called modine today to try and get some tech support for mine and they wouldnt even talk to me cause i am not a contractor.
When I first installed my 45,000 unit, I hooked up the thermostat wrong (my mistake...my eyesight sucks), and fried the motherboard. They sent me a new one with an appropriate inline fuse installed. This was over a year ago.

I called them 2 weeks ago about the external fan starting to whine and they sent me a new blower, no questions asked. They didn't even ask me for a serial number or a purchase date! Of course they sent me the internal fan instead of the external one, so I called them back and again, they sent me the correct part no questions asked. And told me to keep the other blower!

I have no issues with their customer support.
Steve Szakats is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #23
dropride

What# did you call. They seemed less than willing to give me any support. I got the phone # for the rep in the area and he wouldnt even help me cause i wasnt a contractor. Liability reasons he said.
dropride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:30 AM   #24
Steve Szakats

Quote:
What# did you call. They seemed less than willing to give me any support. I got the phone # for the rep in the area and he wouldnt even help me cause i wasnt a contractor. Liability reasons he said.
1-800-251-0001 the company is Enerco. If you're on hold for a while, you can eventually leave a message and they call you back promptly.
Steve Szakats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:42 PM   #25
RFears

Mine did same thing, flame needs to be adjusted, it doesnt need to go around corner of pipe, on top of gas valve you will find a screw that covers the adjustment screw. remove cover screw and start heater, you will able to adjust flame by adjusting screw. You have to watch flame as you turn screw. Heater will work fine after u lower flame. It can't go around the turn in the heat exchanger....
RFears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:38 AM   #26
beetroot72

Quote:
What needed to be modified? I called modine today to try and get some tech support for mine and they wouldnt even talk to me cause i am not a contractor.

Modine or big max support? I had a plague of problems with my first hot dawg (modine) due to "dirty Power":... and modine was by far the best company I have ever delt with! I will give you my contact over there if you send me a PM. I don't want to beat this guy down with tech calls.
I was Modine Mfg. deciding reason to Dump the honeywell "smartvalve"
Old 01-22-2009, 08:29 PM   #27
don_tina

just bought a mr heater 75000 btu ng. wired to a themostat used only the r and w wire heater runs for about 5 minutes and flame kicks out and just the blower runs. after reading the manual and the number of blinks on the green light . figured out that the rollout switch had tripped. i reset the switch, turn the unit back on and it ran for about 15 minutes and tripped again. reset again and it ran for another 15 minutes and tripped for the 3rd time. does any bodu have any solutions. only the top sensor is tripping. the flame is nice and blue, it doesnt appear to need any adjusting.
don_tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:06 PM   #28
Ryano121

Don Tina, did you ever come up with a solution for this? Mine does the exact same thing. I can reset the sensor every 15 minutes, but nobody wants to do that!!
Ryano121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:16 AM   #29
98xjroks

Default Re: Modine 60k Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano121 View Post
Don Tina, did you ever come up with a solution for this? Mine does the exact same thing. I can reset the sensor every 15 minutes, but nobody wants to do that!!
Me three....Brand new heater and this occurred first time I turned it on and everytime.
98xjroks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #30
Deltarat

I bought mine in 08 and it ran a month or so and quit. They said I had a bad board and sent me one. It was bad right out of the box. They admitted they were having trouble with the boards and sent me another one. It has been working fine ever since.
Deltarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:38 PM   #31
68SS2

I want to buy a Sterling 45k heater that is very similar to the Big Maxx or Big Dawg. On the Sterling you can pull fresh air from outside to burn then vent back outside the garage. The Modine and Sterling cost about the same. Does anyone have any hard feeling about either one of these, except the combustion separation feature, why I should buy a Sterling over a Hot Dawg or vise versa?
Thanks
If this is a thread hijack, just tell me and I will fix it.
68SS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:15 PM   #32
jumpingryan

Send a message via MSN to jumpingryan

I own a Sterling Garage Guy Heater.... the thing is that I have only installed it, and uninstalled it as I am moving over the next few months due to work related reasons (and I didn't want any prospective home buyers trying to include it in the deal)

As far as I can tell, they are pretty much the same as any other heater, minus the separate combustion intake. They are of slightly higher cost than the Big Maxx or other comparable heaters, yet with their higher cost, I consider the Sterling of higher/better value.

The separate combustion doesn't have to be used you can hook it up any way you like, not necessarily in the concentric vent option..... without a separate vent, they are just like any other Big Maxx/Modine model.

They come with a propane conversion part for future use. Mine is natural gas from the factory.

Having done alot of research into just about all models, and a complete vertical flue installation (with no hook-up of gas due to my future moving situation.... however the flue is proper for the future home buyer to use), I don't regret my purchase even though I havn't used it yet due to my circumstances.

On my next home, I will be purchasing a concentric vent box and using outside air for combustion. It is just far too safe/ease of installation of an option vs price to go without...... Peace of mind & a quality setup are important to me, as I will be leaving the heater with this house (this house will be my in between house for a few years)

The next property after I choose my upcoming home will be acreage, with in-floor heating in the garage & house, hooked to a wood boiler.....

I love in floor heat, but I am willing to wait for it in my upcoming dream shop/property/home (order to be determined by myself..... with the wife's input.... or perhaps the other way around! LOL)

Anyways, hope the Sterling serves you well in the future, even though, as an owner, it hasn't yet (but will) served me well!!!

R
jumpingryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:01 PM   #33
Chad M

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_tina View Post
just bought a mr heater 75000 btu ng. wired to a themostat used only the r and w wire heater runs for about 5 minutes and flame kicks out and just the blower runs. after reading the manual and the number of blinks on the green light . figured out that the rollout switch had tripped. i reset the switch, turn the unit back on and it ran for about 15 minutes and tripped again. reset again and it ran for another 15 minutes and tripped for the 3rd time. does any bodu have any solutions. only the top sensor is tripping. the flame is nice and blue, it doesnt appear to need any adjusting.
I just installed a Dornback 30K unit and had the exact same problem. I narrowed the problem down to the upper roll out switch, mine has two. I contacted Dornback and the tech told me that the upper roll out switch just might be getting too warm in that location and that I could bypass that switch and run just the lower roll out switch. I watched the entire cycle and saw nothing unusual about the flame, no roll out, no overheating. I disabled the upper and the unit now works as advertised. I also could have replaced the switch or just swapped the upper and lower positions to determine if it was the switch or just a poor design. No advice here, just relaying what I found out.
Chad M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:58 PM   #34
jgump

I just installed my new 75K Mr Heater and I am having the same issue as the original poster. Does anyone know of a quick fix? The HiLo / Rollout switch keeps tripping?

Thanks
jgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:57 PM   #35
jgump

Here is the fix..... Basically you take out the top burner and pinch shut the top fan (I used a vise). The bottom fan on the top bruner is still required for lighting. I'll try and post the pic when I get a moment.

From Mr. Heater:
The Big Maxx unit heaters have one or two roll out sensors and one high limit sensor heat exchanger to monitor over heating or flame blowing back into the burner box.

A common problem on these units is the LED on the circuit board giving a 4-flash code ‘High limit or rollout switch open’. The problem that causes this is that the burners that the flame comes out of, are designed to overlap their gas so as the bottom burner lights up the gas and flame hit the gas from the burner right above it. So each burner lights up one after the other. The top burner doesn’t have a burner above it to light up but the gas and flame still comes out. This little extra flame hits the heat exchanger tube before being sucked down into the tube. This flame than causes the upper mounted rollout heat sensor to go off and the heater shuts down. You can reset this rollout heat sensor with the little reset button that is located between the wires that plug into the back of it. It is located at the top of the burner assembly behind but not on the circuit board.

To fix this problem, you will need to remove the top burner and pinch together its edges per the pictures below. Remove the burner side plate, than remove the two screws that hold the burner in place and pinch or hammer the top edge, just above the center hole to stop this extra gas path.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:19 PM   #36
jgump

Fix with pictures in PDF attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MHU75 Burner adjustment complete.pdf (48.3 KB, 558 views)
Old 01-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #37
CorporateOffRoader

this is the second winter for my 75K Big Maxx unit and no issues yet, is there a production window that is affected?
CorporateOffRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #38
jgump

No idea. I bought mine at Lowes in October. So far the fix has worked.

To me it is a design flaw. I may also turn down the flame a little as a previous poster suggested. My flame goes past the turn in the heat exchanger.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #39
Zvacman

I have been using my 75,000 btu unit since Oct. without any problems. Last night my unit started just blowing cold air and the fan won't shut off even with the t-stat turned off. Luckily I have a habit of over building/engineering everything and I installed a switch in the wiring going to the unit so I was able to kill the power to it and shut the fan down. It looks to me from what I have read that I need to pinch the top burner off. I will do it today and let you guys know how it works. What I don't understand is why didn't the unit do this from the beginning if it is indeed a flaw? I wonder if they make an upgrade piece to fix what appears to be a defect by them.

Zvacman
Zvacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:40 PM   #40
prolawnsvc

Mine is doing the same thing. I just checked my switch and it does not appear to be tripped. If it is tripped I assume it would be sticking out and I would push it back in to reset. However mine is in and i can not push it in any farther. Mine worked for about a month and just tonight stopped. How do I get the unit to stop flashing 4 blinks?
prolawnsvc is offline   Reply With Quote