Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #41
jgump

Default Re: Mr. Heater Big Maxx Problem

Pinch it per the attachment. It works!
jgump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #42
prolawnsvc

Well called the company and were very helpful. Left a msg and they called back within 15 min. said my board went bad shipped a new one. Hopefully this fixed my problem
prolawnsvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #43
dropride

I ended up just unbolting the upper roll out switch and laying it off to the side so it would stop tripping every 2 mins. I'll have to try pinching the burner shut when i get a chance.
dropride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:53 AM   #44
caper177

Chalk up another flame rollout trip here too. It's time for Modine and similar manufacturers to fix this problem permanently, I've been reading forum posts that are dating back to 2006. I've been waiting for a repairman now for over a week and decided to look at my unit to see what the heck is going on. I see exactly what you mean by the flame coming out over the top of the highest burner tube. Mine is still under warranty so if the repairman doesn't soon get here I'll call around to see if another propane company is interested in the warranty work on mine. I can also notice a smell, not a propane smell as such but the smell of perhaps a dirty flame, although it appears to be a bright blue flame or a venting problem. This unit is only a year old btw.

Last edited by caper177; 04-23-2011 at 06:56 AM.
caper177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:45 PM   #45
mikewease

I had start problems from day one....kick off maybe a dozen times before it would finally stay fired up. I took the advice of another consumer and contacted the manu and they sent me a new board....installed it this morning and the furnace fired up immediately (first time in 2 yrs) has run to perfection ....all day..... With the new circuit board.
mikewease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #46
looscrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgump View Post
Fix with pictures in PDF attached.
Just installed my new heater. Same problem, on reassembly, after your suggested fix, the top metering orifice fell out! No abuse!! Looks like it was bottomed out & was over torqued. That would explain the rollout switch shutdown. Glad the shutdown devices work. Not too happy at the moment no one to call on weekend. Thanks for the info. looscrew
looscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:37 PM   #47
rickyjays

I had the same prob turned the gas pressure down in the gas valvle and it quit kicking the roll switch out
rickyjays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #48
z28dad

FWIW, I"m installing my heater that I purchased back in Jan-2011, and I went ahead and took out the top burner for a look and it was already fixed.
z28dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #49
jgump

Mine's been working for a year now after the fix. No issues.....
jgump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:51 AM   #50
jkort77

We just installed a heater last weekend and had the same problem with the rollout switch tripping. This is our fix and most likely everyone elses too. Take a look at the flame tubes and make sure that they are inserted into the holes by the burner. These tubes are only fastened in the rear of the heater and must have come out of the front holes during shipping. If the tubes are not inserted into the holes, the flame cannot be drawn into the flame tubes and the excess flame dances around inside the burner box causing the rollout switch to trip. They should have made these tubes with clips on them to stay in the holes.
jkort77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #51
marty graves

I installed my Big Maxx 45,000 unit and was working fine until yesterday. The external fan would shut off and the internal fan would continue running and it sounded like it was trying to ignite. If I turned up the thermosat it would light. I eventually unplugged it and then plugged it back in and the internal fan shut off. I turned up the thermostat today and nothing would work. The unit would not even turn on....The LED light is blinking three times so I know it has power.

Last edited by marty graves; 11-27-2011 at 06:31 PM.
marty graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #52
dave67fd

3 Flashes= Pressure switch failed closed before CAB (cumbustion air blower) is energized
or failed open after CAB is energized.

Just a guess, Make sure your exhaust pipe isin't blocked or something causing it to hang-up.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:39 PM   #53
dbart

Greetings;
I just installed the replacement gas valve Enerco sent for my malfunctioning Big Maxx 45K NG heater. Still doesn't light. never has.

Brand new, purchased 11/16/11.
Installed, wired up, vented in exactly the same configuration a previous Hamilton Garage Heater was installed.
Symptoms - Thermostat calls for heat, exhaust blower comes on, igniter starts its buzz, I hear gas valve solenoid click, flame never starts. It does this 3 times, then shuts down with the lockout code showing, never having sensed flame.
When I disconnect the gas to the unit, and open the inline valve, gas comes out of the pipe, so I know there is gas getting to the heater gas valve.

These are exactly the same symptoms I saw right out of the box, and now with the second gas valve.

What are the other possible things which would explain all these symptoms?
What if the electrical leads to the solenoid are backwards? Would it still make the click, just not open the valve?

I'll be back on the phone with tech services tomorrow.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
dave
dbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #54
porcupine73

^ Not sure about the not lighting; are you sure the ignitor is working? Maybe one of those long grill lighters going when it starts the gas might show if it will light.

On my 75NG I too have the problem with the top limit switch. It was fine for about a year and then that started tripping out randomly. I ordered all new sensors and replaced them but it still did the same thing. So I ended up jumpering out the top limit switch. Else it just shuts of randomly then the fan just blows constantly.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:29 PM   #55
dave67fd

If you remove the side access panel and shut the lights out you should be able to see the spark from the ignighters.
You should hear the solenoid click. Solenoids typically are non-polarized unless it has diode protection.
Although you have gas, have you checked line and manifold pressures?

Do not light it manually. It's not lighting because of a problem. Call a service guy if your not comfortable with it.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #56
Wells.M

I googled the problem with my heater tripping the upper flame rollout sensor and this thread popped up. I then decided to perform jgump's pinching of the upper burner flange and it worked perfectly. Im glad these old threads dont get erased. And thus brings my first post to an end. Thanks to jgump and all.
Wells.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:25 PM   #57
psecco

Hello, I have a 45000 gas heater the blower fan came apart i hung a fan behind the heater until i get a replacement, but now i get the 4 flash light on, now the fans stay running but will not heat. i disconnected the thermostat and the fans still run.what do i do?

Last edited by psecco; 01-23-2013 at 08:47 PM.
psecco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #58
postb8822

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells.M View Post
I googled the problem with my heater tripping the upper flame rollout sensor and this thread popped up. I then decided to perform jgump's pinching of the upper burner flange and it worked perfectly. Im glad these old threads dont get erased. And thus brings my first post to an end. Thanks to jgump and all.
Me too, same problem, same fix. Thanks for posting this info.

Been below zero here for two weeks so the units been running quite a bit to keep my garage at 35F. No issues anymore.

Last edited by postb8822; 12-12-2013 at 09:52 PM.
postb8822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #59
postb8822

PSECCO,

Your temporary fan was probably not powerful enough to keep the heat exchanger from over heating. Inside the heater there are a couple of high limit thermal switches. There is one visible inside the heater side of the unit, between the heat exchanger tubes.

On the electronics side, you have to find the other end of this sensor, and in between the wires connected to it there is a tiny button. Push the button to reset. There are two more of these near the burners which have been tripping for most of us with the the flame roll out issue (too much flame leaking about in the burner box)

Yours I would bet is tripped in the main heater area due to the faulty fan, and ineffective temporary fan. I don't think hanging a temp fan behind the unit is a safe solution until you get your main fan fixed.

Did the blade just come off the motor shaft, tell us more about your fan issue? There should be a screw in the side of the hub that you can reattach and tighten to get the fan fixed if the blades just came loose.

Last edited by postb8822; 12-12-2013 at 09:51 PM. Reason: typos
postb8822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:11 PM   #60
kellyjohn39

Default Re: Mr. Heater Big Maxx Problem HELP PLEASE

Hello ,

I have a 50000 BTU NG Ceiling Big MAXX brand new unit and it was working and now it flashes 4green lights and I have tried everything. It is not blocked outside the pipes are not clogged, they said there is a reset button but it does not push in left of the circuit board and am at a loss. The thermostat works.....anything I am missing here? Walk me through another way to fix this?

Thanks!
John
kellyjohn39 is offline   Reply With Quote