Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-17-2015, 01:12 AM   #1
Nanashi

Default snap on solus ultra 14.4 update cost?

Anyone have any idea of how much the 14.4 update is. I am currently at 13.2 I think.
Nanashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:40 AM   #2
tjmonsen5

Default Re: snap on solus ultra 14.4 update cost?

I believe an update is roughly 1000. It's best to go on the subscription plan, always up to date, you get access to sure track and it's the cheapest in the long run.
tjmonsen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-17-2015, 05:02 AM   #3
Charlief

$1k

$549 if you had 14.2. (loyalty pricing)
Charlief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:30 AM   #4
Nanashi

I am looking at a solus ultra my dealer repoed. It looks mint he wants $1200. Its last update was 13.4 and it doesnt have euro. So to update it plus get euro I am probably close to $3000. They are cheaper on ebay but I dont have cash up front. I am thinking either get it and just use it as is and updated it down the road and or get euro at a later date. Or talk him into selling me a Solus Edge and throwing in the euro for free or damn near anyway. With that said I cant find out how much the edge is. I image its replacing the ultra and will be in that range because it cant eclipse the modis.

Why doesnt snap on make a decent scanner for 2k, or add functions test and trouble shooter to the ethos and keep it in the same price range as it currently is.
Nanashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:27 PM   #5
tjmonsen5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
I am looking at a solus ultra my dealer repoed. It looks mint he wants $1200. Its last update was 13.4 and it doesnt have euro. So to update it plus get euro I am probably close to $3000. They are cheaper on ebay but I dont have cash up front. I am thinking either get it and just use it as is and updated it down the road and or get euro at a later date. Or talk him into selling me a Solus Edge and throwing in the euro for free or damn near anyway. With that said I cant find out how much the edge is. I image its replacing the ultra and will be in that range because it cant eclipse the modis.

Why doesnt snap on make a decent scanner for 2k, or add functions test and trouble shooter to the ethos and keep it in the same price range as it currently is.
The Edge will replace the Ultra, same price. The edge has internet connectivity (not a browser, rather a direct connection to suretrack) and gives you real world most common causes and fixes for each code you pull. The Ultra for 1200 is a steal! It will be supported for at least 10+ years. Look at the solus heritage and solus pro, they are still updating them!

The ethos is an entry level scanner, very capable going into all body modules and euro, but not bidirectional controls. Better for a home user or service manager who wants to pull body module codes quickly. Gotta pay up to Solus to get bidirectional.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:30 PM   #6
chris142

How can a guy make any money with those prices? Even if he got paid $100 per car how many cars will he use it on in a year? 2 yrs?

Don't sound logical to me unless that's all the shop does.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:34 PM   #7
tjmonsen5

an Audi/VW guy needs a bidirectional scanner to do a brake job these days (electronic rear calipers)
use the scanner to figure out quickly if the problem lies in the fuel tank sending unit or the fuel gauge itself.
test window motors, switches, etc.
quickly test engine fan, use scanner to do a brake bleed, regenerate a diesel, diagnose and clear airbag codes, the list goes on. Im considering a Solus for home use, since I do all my own tinkering. It pays for itself quickly. Not that you need to charge someone 100 bucks just to plug it in, but allows you to do repairs instead of sending the customer down the road to the next guy.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:36 PM   #8
Murphy4570

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris142 View Post
How can a guy make any money with those prices? Even if he got paid $100 per car how many cars will he use it on in a year? 2 yrs?

Huh? You use a scan tool on pretty much every car these days that comes in the bay door for diagnosis of the customer concern. Even small shops will repair 10-20 cars a day.

That scan tool isn't marketed towards jim bob shadetree working in his backyard, it is for repair shops. Many mechanics buy their own for side work as well. It pays for itself rather quickly in increased diagnostic efficiency and accuracy.
Murphy4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:42 PM   #9
Bigblue&Goldie

Quote:

What do you do for a living? Clearly, you don't work on modern cars. A top quality scan tool is essential for an independent shop.
Bigblue&Goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:45 PM   #10
GTA Matt

Quote:

My snap on scanner saves the history of each vehicle I plug it into. In 2014 I hooked it up to 314 individual cars. At a minimum, I made an hour each every time I hooked it up for diag. That means that not even factoring in vehicles that had multiple system codes that required an hour diag each, I personally made over $10k in diag. Some vehicles would have 2 or 3 system codes at once (misfire, evap and transmission for example). That's not even factoring in what I made in repairs off the diag I performed. And that's just 1 scanner, I have several more. They quickly pay for themselves.
GTA Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:27 PM   #11
devoncoolman

My solus pro doesn't owe me a dime. The solus is a good line of scanners.
devoncoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:13 PM   #12
ed_v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue&Goldie View Post
What do you do for a living? Clearly, you don't work on modern cars. A top quality scan tool is essential for an independent shop.
Definitely he hasn't worked on any modern cars!

Ed
ed_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:39 PM   #13
Charlief

Quote:

As others have said.... Huh?!?

You can't do a brake job on some cars without a scan tool.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:09 PM   #14
blown94conv

I did a transfer case fluid change, and needed a scan tool. New battery installed? Needed a scan tool.

Mine has paid for itself in 2 years, and I am a backyard guy. The savings vs having to go to the dealer really add up, but it can be a tough pill to swallow at first.
blown94conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:01 PM   #15
Charlief

And the ole solus pro will no longer be updated after this next update. So the ultra and the new edge are the way to go.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:18 PM   #16
GTA Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlief View Post
And the ole solus pro will no longer be updated after this next update. So the ultra and the new edge are the way to go.
Where did you hear this? I've talked to several snap on dealers at length and there are no plans of discontinuing support for the solus pro for many years. The only scanner they have ended support on is the mt2500, and look how long they kept that thing around.
GTA Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:23 PM   #17
devoncoolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA Matt View Post
Where did you hear this? I've talked to several snap on dealers at length and there are no plans of discontinuing support for the solus pro for many years. The only scanner they have ended support on is the mt2500, and look how long they kept that thing around.
Correct the brick is the only scanner not supported currently by snap-on. There are no plans to drop support for the solus, solus pro, modis, or any of the vantage scopes in the near future. I agree the solus ultra or edge are the way to go but if you picked up a cheap solus pro its still a very capable well built tool. Mine hase held up well and has more then paid for itself.
devoncoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:25 PM   #18
shockwave

I have the solus ultra it's great for everything.

Also look at autel ds708 for bidirectional functions
shockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:58 PM   #19
chris142

I have not ran into the need for a scanner to replace brakes yet. I live in a weird area.many older cars are daily drivers. Most are late 80's,early 90's.2004 and newer seems to be pretty rare for our shop.

FYI I put a water pump and points on a 46 Hudson recently. LoL
Old 01-18-2015, 07:01 PM   #20
chris142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue&Goldie View Post
I work at a small 1 bay shop.we specialize in heating and ac.we don't get into dash work or stuff like that. Mostly swap in radiators,hoses and ac compressors,accumulators etc. We do brake, oil changes and other things if the customer asks us to.