Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-09-2009, 01:31 AM   #1
jimon007

Default Shall I use K&W Block sealer for Blown Head Gasket??

*********P.S. This was posted on introduction but realised that I should post here. Sorry for double postings**************

Hi!
I live in Wellington, NZ. I have Subaru Legacy TS-R Non-Turbo 1998 and according to mechanic it has blown head gaskets. I have radiator repaired, hose s refitted, themostats checked. What it does is:

Symptom: For the first 20 or 30 mins okay but the temp goes up to Red zone. When I open the bonnet I found that the coolant in the reservoir was boiling (sort of). Then turned off the engine and found there were loss of coolant. It drives okay except getting overheated.

Possible cause: I drove long trip with faulty tyres (they bounce) and found there were no coolant left. So I filled in with coolant (concentration without missing with water) and anti-leak sealant (didn't follow the instruction - should have shaked vigorously but found it later) then it drove well. I found some smoke the other day and didn't check. I operated air con full (it is summer here) and drove longer than usual distance. Suddenly the car stopped in the middle of road. Cooled it down and managed to park. I came back to the car 2 hours later and found the car was driveable (should have checked the coolant). I drove people off and on my way back to home found the temp was so high. I stopped at patrol station and found the steam coming out. I added some water (quite a lot) and cool it down before drove to home (about 10 mins driving). Then I parked the car for 3 weeks and went to garage to repair the radiator. He repaired and told me it should be okay but watch out for possible damage to the head gasket. I drove it for 30 mins and found the overheating problem (losing coolant...and it boiled but no steam etc) so I contacted the mechanic and left the car with him. He checked the themostats and test drove. It was intially okay for 20 mins then overheated. He told me he did the pressure test and it has blown head gaskets and it would cost me approx $2000(US$1100?).

I do not have the money. So I am looking for the option using "Engine Block sealer" (i.e. K&W Block sealer or similar). I found this while I was surfing for the advice. Reading from some of posts here that "2nd hand car dealers use the sealer to their cars. Is it true? Then it might be able to solve my problem . Any advice/suggestion or first hand experience you would like to share with me? I'd really appreciate your help in advance.

I am just new here and feel like a baby. I would really appreciate your TLC
jimon007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
BigChevy80

Send a message via AIM to BigChevy80
Default Re: Shall I use K&W Block sealer for Blown Head Gasket??

If you got it as hot as you say you did, you probably warped the head as well. Don't use that instant seal stuff. Not only does it seal up leaks, it also does a good job of plugging up your radiator and water pump passages over time.

You'd be better off saving up the money and doing it the right way...
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-10-2009, 11:20 PM   #3
krooser

K&W is a good product... follow the directions to a T and you may be surprised. I've had good luck with it several times.

The key is to use it with clean water and drain the system and allow it to sit overnight before you refill the system.
krooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:52 AM   #4
10.5 outlaw

Your wasting your time and money not to mention the damage you
could do to the motor don't drive it till you can afford to fix it properly.
10.5 outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
krooser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10.5 outlaw View Post
Your wasting your time and money not to mention the damage you
could do to the motor don't drive it till you can afford to fix it properly.
The damage is already done...and K&W Block Sealer certainly won't exacerbate the problems.

You drain the cooling system... refill with clean water...pour in the Block Seal and run the engine 30 minutes or so. Drain the water and let the engine cool overnight. Refill with anti-freeze and you're set.

It's certainly not a new head gasket. But I've run cars and trucks thousands of miles without any problems after using this product. Doesn't work every time but it's certainly a good product.
krooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
BigChevy80

Send a message via AIM to BigChevy80

If I can't fix something right, I wont do it. Others may prefer to cut corners and jury-rig things, but that's their prerogative.

I'm not trying to sound like a snob, but I've worked on a few vehicles where someone with good intentions used one of these "miracle stop-leak" products, and cleaning that crap out of the radiator and cooling passages is a pain. Not to mention having to take the water pump apart to clean the gunk out of it.

I saw one vehicle where so much of the stop-leak got around the head gasket that it gunked up the exhaust valve seat and I had to re-lap the valves.

THAT is the reason I hate this stuff. If it were up to me, the stuff would be made illegal.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:22 PM   #7
62 bird

Whatever you do, when its repaired, make real sure the temp. sensor, relay and cooling fan are operating correctly. Those are usually the cause of overheating especially in the winter when A.C. is not used. The A.C. on most cars over-rides the sensor and turns cooling fan on.

62 bird
62 bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:04 AM   #8
airick

Will using the block seal also stop the overheating? I didnt use K&W but just Barq's that you just add to the cooling system and thats it. It made my car run fine again like before but it begins to overheat within a few minutes. Should I try K&W, draining the system and everything instead to fix the overheating? I had no problems till one night my car just shut off, coolant was gone (had just topped off), and was overheating.

driving a 1997 mercedes benz c230 btw.
airick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:02 AM   #9
RAYJAY

if you got that motor that hot find a new motor, a lot cheaper if the body is in good shape

jeff
Thank You Snap On, I now know how it feels to be toilet paper
Quote:
People complain that "Craftsman warranty depends on who you talk to at the store"....

"SNAP-ON warranty depends on your dealer - at 10x the cost."
RAYJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:06 AM   #10
airick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAYJAY View Post
if you got that motor that hot find a new motor, a lot cheaper if the body is in good shape

jeff
talking to me or original poster?
airick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:03 PM   #11
RAYJAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by airick View Post
talking to me or original poster?
the orginal poster sorry
Thank You Snap On, I now know how it feels to be toilet paper
Quote:
People complain that "Craftsman warranty depends on who you talk to at the store"....

"SNAP-ON warranty depends on your dealer - at 10x the cost."
RAYJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:46 PM   #12
Falcon67

K&W and others like it - best I have used is Moroso Ceramic Seal - are for sealing cracks. They do work to a certain extent. They will NOT repair gasket damage. If you toasted the head and the gasket along with it (what it sounds like) there is only one repair and that's to remove the head, repair any damage, surface the head to provide a good sealing surface and install a new gasket - provided the block deck checks within spec for flatness.

<a href=http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg target=_blank>http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg</a>
Click to view my GJ build thread
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #13
Falcon67

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChevy80 View Post
If I can't fix something right, I wont do it. Others may prefer to cut corners and jury-rig things, but that's their prerogative.

I'm not trying to sound like a snob, but I've worked on a few vehicles where someone with good intentions used one of these "miracle stop-leak" products, and cleaning that crap out of the radiator and cooling passages is a pain. Not to mention having to take the water pump apart to clean the gunk out of it.

I saw one vehicle where so much of the stop-leak got around the head gasket that it gunked up the exhaust valve seat and I had to re-lap the valves.

THAT is the reason I hate this stuff. If it were up to me, the stuff would be made illegal.
Then you'll love this - I put the (then new) 500 HP 351C in the race car in 2008. The block had several cracks repaired internally and I thought we got them all. Oops, on fire up there was a 1 1/2" long crack in the water jacket near #1 cylinder on the outside. Water running down the block onto the floor. Pretty decent leak.

Dumped in a full bottle of Moroso Ceramic Seal and that stopped it right up, ran the engine the full 2008 season (about 450 passes) with no problems. Pulled the motor in the fall and pinned up the crack. The motor runs nice and cool, no damage or other issues with the radiator, pump, heads, etc. Ceramic seal is a commonly used product with aluminum race heads to catch any casting porosity. So the magic bottle cures do have their place. BUT- they will not fix a gasket issue.

<a href=http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg target=_blank>http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg</a>
Click to view my GJ build thread
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #14
UGLYTRUK

And no residue in the block? I've been warned not to use this in my 6.5 Chevy Turbo diesel. I have a bad head gasket
UGLYTRUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #15
DHS

My dad did it in his old Toyota mini van (1987) and it held up over a year and he has an hour drive to work everyday. His thoughts were that it was not worth fixing and he would see how long it will last. Once it started leaking again he sold the van to a guy that wanted the int. to put in his own van (parts or repair deal).
DHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #16
pop pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimon007 View Post
*********P.S. This was posted on introduction but realised that I should post here. Sorry for double postings**************

Hi!
I live in Wellington, NZ. I have Subaru Legacy TS-R Non-Turbo 1998 and according to mechanic it has blown head gaskets. I have radiator repaired, hose s refitted, themostats checked. What it does is:

Symptom: For the first 20 or 30 mins okay but the temp goes up to Red zone. When I open the bonnet I found that the coolant in the reservoir was boiling (sort of). Then turned off the engine and found there were loss of coolant. It drives okay except getting overheated.

Possible cause: I drove long trip with faulty tyres (they bounce) and found there were no coolant left. So I filled in with coolant (concentration without missing with water) and anti-leak sealant (didn't follow the instruction - should have shaked vigorously but found it later) then it drove well. I found some smoke the other day and didn't check. I operated air con full (it is summer here) and drove longer than usual distance. Suddenly the car stopped in the middle of road. Cooled it down and managed to park. I came back to the car 2 hours later and found the car was driveable (should have checked the coolant). I drove people off and on my way back to home found the temp was so high. I stopped at patrol station and found the steam coming out. I added some water (quite a lot) and cool it down before drove to home (about 10 mins driving). Then I parked the car for 3 weeks and went to garage to repair the radiator. He repaired and told me it should be okay but watch out for possible damage to the head gasket. I drove it for 30 mins and found the overheating problem (losing coolant...and it boiled but no steam etc) so I contacted the mechanic and left the car with him. He checked the themostats and test drove. It was intially okay for 20 mins then overheated. He told me he did the pressure test and it has blown head gaskets and it would cost me approx $2000(US$1100?).

I do not have the money. So I am looking for the option using "Engine Block sealer" (i.e. K&W Block sealer or similar). I found this while I was surfing for the advice. Reading from some of posts here that "2nd hand car dealers use the sealer to their cars. Is it true? Then it might be able to solve my problem . Any advice/suggestion or first hand experience you would like to share with me? I'd really appreciate your help in advance.

I am just new here and feel like a baby. I would really appreciate your TLC
Welcome to GJ. Some hard love here. With your limited understanding of what should and should not be done to an automobile, I'm suggesting you sell the car and use public transportation or a bicycle. You will never be able to keep an automobile in safe, dependable running condition.
pop pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #17
BellyUpFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop pop View Post
Welcome to GJ. Some hard love here. With your limited understanding of what should and should not be done to an automobile, I'm suggesting you sell the car and use public transportation or a bicycle. You will never be able to keep an automobile in safe, dependable running condition.
I guess learning is out of the question?
BellyUpFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #18
Jagmandave

The OP sounds to me like a guy with very limited experience and no money....ie bad tires, ran out of coolant etc .....and looking for a cheap way out.

Sorry to tell you this, but sometimes there is no cheap way out.

Either fix the motor right or look for a good used one in the pic N pull and change it out. There are no bandaids for blown head gaskets.

Good luck!
'80 Mini Clubman Estate
Jagmandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #19
dadsEH

K&W sealer is another wonderful additive from "Miracle Products Inc"
Their motto is.... 'If it works , its a Miracle'

How hard is it to change gaskets on a head??
dadsEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #20
pop pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellyUpFish View Post
I guess learning is out of the question?
Learning would be the ideal solution here. Like in learning to stop at the first stop / warning sign. He kept going past several and is now stranded. Repairing this engine will not fix this problem in my opinion.
pop pop is offline   Reply With Quote