Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-10-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
onemoretry

Default Fire House and Garage part II (winter projects)

My first build thread got a little long, so I decided to start another post for the second building. I'll call the first one the garage, and the second the barn. The barn is about 50% bigger than the garage and is intended to house the fire truck. It will still give me room for the lift and a second floor wood shop.
The crew has been working about 5 days, but I haven't been around to update. So the last pictures on this post are from yesterday, basically day 4.
If it looks interesting, I highly recommend checking out www.geobarns.com.

The first thread can be found here. I will update it with the Raynor doors when they get installed.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=23941

(winter projects)

Last edited by onemoretry; 02-04-2009 at 08:27 AM. Reason: to get in on the contest
onemoretry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
onemoretry

Default Re: Fire House and Garage part II

Some more pictures.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
Kevin54

Nice builds and looking forward to the pics. But this pic just kind of chills me to the bone and make we want to stay in instead of heading out for anything.
Kevin54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
kbs2244

Is there any reason you didn't put the upstairs floor joists on top of the beams instead of useing the nailed on support strip?

It does look pretty stout though!
kbs2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
NRChopshop

Ive been out since 8 this morning cleaning up the trees and 6-7" branches that ice took out around my house. Neighbor down the street had a 60' tall tree split three ways. Not fun weather to be working in
NRChopshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
woodbutcher

they dont use a mortise and tenon joint ? looks like they keep adding wood? im sorry but a craftsman would do it right. looks like they get a good price on material, for as much as they use imo. maybe he does it so he can have 10an hr carpenters? its a tough biz to be in if your a craftsman, theres always someone that ll under bid you. good luck
woodbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:40 AM   #7
Bull
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbutcher View Post
they dont use a mortise and tenon joint ? looks like they keep adding wood? im sorry but a craftsman would do it right. looks like they get a good price on material, for as much as they use imo. maybe he does it so he can have 10an hr carpenters? its a tough biz to be in if your a craftsman, theres always someone that ll under bid you. good luck
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Zero.

EUDAIMONIA
"It Pays to Stay in the USA!"
Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #8
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin54 View Post

Nice builds and looking forward to the pics. But this pic just kind of chills me to the bone and make we want to stay in instead of heading out for anything.
It was pretty nasty, I can't believe that they kept working in it. They took safety precautions, but, frankly I would have headed in...
Old 01-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #9
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs2244 View Post
Is there any reason you didn't put the upstairs floor joists on top of the beams instead of useing the nailed on support strip?

It does look pretty stout though!
Height and strength. Think of it as a traditional floor without the joist hangers.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #10
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRChopshop View Post
Ive been out since 8 this morning cleaning up the trees and 6-7" branches that ice took out around my house. Neighbor down the street had a 60' tall tree split three ways. Not fun weather to be working in
Mine wasn't too bad this time, I lost everything in a previous storm...
Old 01-12-2009, 01:41 PM   #11
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbutcher View Post

I can't believe that you don't post this in every thread you look at.

Time, cost, value, strength, all make sense to me. The building is fully engineered and works out to be incredibly strong. All of my engineer drawings come from a third party that agrees that this design is about the strongest he has ever seen. The first garage went up in 12 days, so he does save time, but implying that it isn't a quality building is idiotic and ignorant.

If you can only bare to look at one type of construction, then please leave this thread. If you would like to learn about a hybrid construction technique, that is faster, less expensive, stronger, and more environmentally friendly then please participate.

I am too sick and tired to comment any further.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:30 PM   #12
Homebody

Looking good! Good idea on the second thread for the second building.

BTW, Woodbutcher = FAIL
Homebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:58 AM   #13
onemoretry

Sorry it has been so long for an update. I contracted a nice case of the pneumonia and have been down for the count. Progress certainly continues despite the weather and issues with the concrete contractor's work. The size of the building is certainly evident now. When we finished the garage, I thought it felt huge, but now in comparison, it seems small. This barn is enormous.
The first picture really shows the size, especially now that the rafters are up. It took three guys less than a day to put the trusses and purlins up, simply amazing especially given they made them on site and had no crane...
The second picture shows the transom windows ready to be installed. The third is the detail for the fascia boards. The fourth is a nice panoramic of the neighbors yard.
Enjoy...

Edit:
I forgot the mention that the first picture you can see the bump up for the lift area. The main part of the building the floor joists are 11 feet off of the floor, in the lift area, they are slightly over 13 feet.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:40 AM   #14
nathank

Send a message via Skype™ to nathank

This structure is awesome! Very nice!
nathank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:52 AM   #15
fotoflojoe

Nice work, that's a great looking space. I don't know a lot about this type of construction. Are the diagonal studs traditionally part of pole barn design, or is that a Geobarns concept? Also, how tricky do they make wiring and plumbing?
fotoflojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:03 AM   #16
sharpshooter

Yeah, whats up with the diagonal studs???? it looks really cool LOL.... How hard will that make it to hit a stud
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:15 AM   #17
Skyline

I have a question about the way the second floor floor joists are supported:

I see that on the outside walls they sit on top of the walls, but it appears that on the interior, they are simply toenailed with blocks nailed in-between. Am I not seeing something here? Perhaps I need updating, but I thought that when there is an unsupported joist, a joist hanger is generally used?
Skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #18
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoflojoe View Post
Nice work, that's a great looking space. I don't know a lot about this type of construction. Are the diagonal studs traditionally part of pole barn design, or is that a Geobarns concept? Also, how tricky do they make wiring and plumbing?
That is a Geobarns concept. It makes for a much stronger building and removes the need for plywood sheathing, thus reducing cost and waste.

Wiring is a little different, but not much. A little bit of forethought and it should not really impact electrical install cost.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:22 AM   #19
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
Yeah, whats up with the diagonal studs???? it looks really cool LOL.... How hard will that make it to hit a stud
I pretty much use a stud finder on traditional framing, so not that big of a deal if you know it was done this way to begin with.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #20
Bull
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=fotoflojoe;370770Also, how tricky do they make wiring and plumbing?[/QUOTE]

I did the wiring in my barn, and it was not difficult. As onemoretry said, a little planning is helpful (as with any job) but there are no special difficulties.

Also, I SUPPOSE that if one were to finish the interior with drywall, then finding a stud to hang a picture would be slightly more difficult than in vertical stud framing. But that is what stud finders are for.

I am finishing the interior of my barn off with boards (it is a BARN, after all) and leaving the froo froo drywall for my house.

EUDAIMONIA
Old 01-15-2009, 10:38 AM   #21
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
I have a question about the way the second floor floor joists are supported:

I see that on the outside walls they sit on top of the walls, but it appears that on the interior, they are simply toenailed with blocks nailed in-between. Am I not seeing something here? Perhaps I need updating, but I thought that when there is an unsupported joist, a joist hanger is generally used?
You are correct, joist hangers are typically used, but not much is typical with this building... The joists are toe-nailed in with blocks nailed between. The engineer is perfectly OK with the design.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:51 AM   #22
wrigh003

Send a message via MSN to wrigh003

Neat. All those triangles- that barn's going to be there for a while. If there's no need for plywood sheathing, what's done for tyvek / tar paper/ vapor barrier? Does it go straight up over the framing, or is there some other approach taken? Seems like if you just put it up over there it'd blow around a lot while the siding was being installed, and maybe tear up. Maybe rigid insulation panels over the outside of the framing?
wrigh003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:02 AM   #23
Bull
Super Moderator

On my barn, George used Tyvek and, when that ran out, Vortec. It was stapled directly to the framing. The entire barn was sided in a day (ok, a day and a half) so the vapor barrier didn't have time to blow around anywhere before it was covered up with boards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigh003 View Post
Neat. All those triangles- that barn's going to be there for a while. If there's no need for plywood sheathing, what's done for tyvek / tar paper/ vapor barrier? Does it go straight up over the framing, or is there some other approach taken? Seems like if you just put it up over there it'd blow around a lot while the siding was being installed, and maybe tear up. Maybe rigid insulation panels over the outside of the framing?

EUDAIMONIA
Old 01-15-2009, 11:47 PM   #24
Mr. Welsh

Quote:
faster, less expensive, stronger, and more environmentally friendly
I've been following both of your build threads and I checked out the website, but I'm still confused by where exactly these cost savings are coming from. I'll take your word that you're using less material than typical 16" on center stud framing, but these savings will be offset by increased cost in labor for electrical/plumbing/HVAC/insulation...basically anything that goes in these walls is going to take longer to install. Also, you keep saying how strong this framing is...but the structure is post & beam. It doesn't seem to me that these little wall sections would make much difference in cost or strength, but all these angled cuts seem like they would take longer.

Without getting into your personal financials, can you paint a better picture of what the cost comparison is? I'm struggling to see the benefits of this method other than the beauty of the exposed framing.
Mr. Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:13 AM   #25
Bull
Super Moderator

If you are really curious, you could contact George himself. For a guy who has more work than most humans could handle, he is VERY good about getting back to people quickly who have inquiries about his buildings. He's not a "regular" builder by any means.

I worked on the construction of my barn with the two-man crew every single day of the build, which took seventeen days to complete the shell. I can tell you from first-hand experience that the angled cuts do not slow down the process...as onemoretry has pointed out, these guys work QUICKLY, and what seems like a more complicated and time consuming process to you is, to them, a matter of routine.

I can also tell you that I priced out several types of buildings from different companies and builders. 2x4 and 2x6 stick, metal etc. My Geobarn was very cost effective, and both the product and the process were much more satisfying to me than any of the other options from both an aesthetic and spiritual (in the secular sense) point of view.

Repeatedly, people here suggest that electrical and plumbing work will be complicated and prohibitively expensive compared to vertical stud framing. I personally worked on the wiring of my barn with my electrician. It was fun, and unless drilling a few holes is to be considered complicated, it was very straightforward. My father has been a plumbing and HVAC contractor for fifty years. He sees no dire complexity in outfitting a structure of this type. In the case of the plumbing, for example, what exactly is the concern? That a few extra holes will have to be drilled in the framing to run pipes? If your plumber balks at this, I'd suggest getting a new one. If you are worried about paying someone to drill the holes, then do it yourself. With regard to insulation, you can use sprayed in foam, or use batts cut at an angle. Anyone can cut batts at an angle! A number of people who have built Geobarns have completely finished off the interiors and used the buildings as primary dwellings with all the essential amenities, not merely as sparsely equipped outbuildings.

As for the strength of the building method, perhaps an engineer could chime in. George has worked with engineers over the years to perfect his designs. The main strength of the building is, of course, in the posts and the beams. But everyone knows that diagonally bracing a rectangle or square makes it much more rigid than vertically bracing it. Therein lies the strength in the walls, which is why plywood sheathing is not needed and why the structure will resist "racking."

That might sound pedantic, but its merely intended to be informational.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Welsh View Post
I've been following both of your build threads and I checked out the website, but I'm still confused by where exactly these cost savings are coming from. I'll take your word that you're using less material than typical 16" on center stud framing, but these savings will be offset by increased cost in labor for electrical/plumbing/HVAC/insulation...basically anything that goes in these walls is going to take longer to install. Also, you keep saying how strong this framing is...but the structure is post & beam. It doesn't seem to me that these little wall sections would make much difference in cost or strength, but all these angled cuts seem like they would take longer.

Without getting into your personal financials, can you paint a better picture of what the cost comparison is? I'm struggling to see the benefits of this method other than the beauty of the exposed framing.

EUDAIMONIA

Last edited by Bull; 01-16-2009 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
Old 01-16-2009, 12:40 AM   #26
TheShrine

Now that is structural integrity!
TheShrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:54 AM   #27
onemoretry

What bull said
Old 01-17-2009, 09:17 AM   #28
speedracer

Love the post and beam look. I can't wait to see the end result!
speedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:37 PM   #29
Bull
Super Moderator

How's the build coming along?

EUDAIMONIA
Old 01-21-2009, 05:18 PM   #30
onemoretry

Sorry I haven't updated in a while. I have been sick, traveling, and any other excuse I can come up with. Work progresses and the framing is looking great. I have asked for a couple of small changes on door height, a barn door for getting things upstairs, change in stair position etc. George has handled all of my issues and the building is really taking shape. The crew has had to deal with some surprising weather for Maryland and is really troopering on.
From George:
We framed the two lower gables and a few of the lower eave bays during a bitterly cold day with gusty winds--had to retreat into the warm house a few times to recuperate and get our vitality back...also unloaded the roofing off the tractor trailer which showed up right after lunch.

tomorrow we hope to finish the lower level and nmove up top to complete the framing before we tackle to roof later this week...

So for the pictures...

Old 01-21-2009, 11:10 PM   #31
Bull
Super Moderator

Looking great!

Hope you feel better soon.

EUDAIMONIA
Old 01-22-2009, 08:01 AM   #32
Jpfreak33

Send a message via AIM to Jpfreak33

I love this style of construction, I woudl feel bad covering the framing
Jpfreak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:39 AM   #33
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpfreak33 View Post
I love this style of construction, I woudl feel bad covering the framing
That is the exact debate I am going through now. I plan on using the upstairs of this building as a wood shop and downstairs for auto maintenance. For safety and warmth, I will need to do something, but it looks so cool, I am not sure what to do. Any thoughts on how to make it safe for welding, warm, and still see the diagonal framing? The only thing I can think of is blown in insulation, and then drywall inbetween each stud. I don't know if I have the constitution to do that for everyone.

I am up for thoughts...
Old 01-22-2009, 08:48 AM   #34
cyclopsblown34

What about asking George what he'd recommend? I'm certain he's had that same question before. I know I'd be in the same dilemma as you if I had him build me a shop. That work is just too nice to cover up.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:41 PM   #35
onemoretry

So I have asked George some of the questions that have been posted here, and he has taken the time to write out a very detailed response that I will post here directly.
From George:
Hi One More Try--

As you know--I look forward eagerly to your posting the day's work on
the garage journal thread--and almost as much to the questions and
comments that the postings elicit. I love what I do and am always
willing to talk and teach about what I do.

There have been several questions and comments related to the design and
structure which I thought I might briefly respond to...so here goes:

Skyline--the floor systems are designed to be held by blocking and
toenailing and are actually as strong as using joists hangers. We have
some buildings designed and built for industrial and assembly loads with
this exact system rated at 150 psf and 100 psf respectively--along with
a number of garages with cars parked on these floors...I really dislike
joist hangers so I came up with a design to avoid them and which also
allows me to use lumber efficiently.

wrigh003--We put wrap--a product that used to be called Vortec and now
called Weathertech that uses a random dot pattern to shed water that
might seep into the wall area--right onto the framing--and then use
shiplap siding right over that. Most of our buildings are conditioned
and we have learned--sometimes throuhg painful mistakes, to flash and
wrap properly and provide a good barrier. The Weathertech is much
tougher than Tyvek/Typar and doe snot rip except in gale conditions.

Mr Welsh--Our cost savings come from three separate but connected
components of our building system. The first is that we have designed a
good product which is what we build--and while the buildings vary
aesthetically and in shape and scope (from under 1000sf to over 10,000
sf) they all contain the same design elements and use most of the same
signatures. They are also very versatile and modular--we can raise
portions of floor systems, free span any level including basements up to
34-36 feet, and rarely use engineered lumber. Because of this--we are
efficient and build approximately 500sf/week/three man crew. One More
Try's garage only took 12 days and it is 1728 sf--so while I pay my
subs/crews very well we save money because we are fast. second--I
guarantee a waste coefficient of 1/2 of 1%...unheard of in the
industry--so I am not wasting my or my client's money hauling away
waste. Third--i want ot keep my prices low because I believe I was
given a gift in inventing this building system and want to make it
available ot anyone who can afford a basic building. while some cheap
modular buildings may be slightly lower in price than we are--our
weathertight shells are about the same price as a traditional post and
beam frame. I love post and beam--but frankly--it has priced itself
right out of the normal market. While I build for plenty of well to do
people--I am prouder that I build for plenty of
blue collar working people like myself whom I make sure can afford what
I offer--often by hiring them to work with us and drop their costs
accordingly.

Most of our buildings now are fully conditioned and while some of the
trades may whine a little on occasion--most of them love the structures
and have no trouble wiring and plumbing. I have somewhere around 90
buildings up and most of them have utilities--including a public school,
lots f houses, and a significant number of commercial structures. as
you know--it is difficult at time sot be innovative--because the entire
industry seems to revolve around 4'x8' plywood and sheetrock--so
sometimes it takes some risk and willingness to rock the boat to break
out of that inertia.

Sharpshooter--the diagonal studs actually do provide more lateral
stability (anti-racking) than even the post and beam framing. I have
quite a few buildings in hurricane country and they have all been
stamped by engineers who agree they have enormous stability. If you
look at bridges they all pretty much use triangles as a basis for their
trusses--other than long suspension bridges of course.

I am sure I have only addressed a portion of the questions that have
been raised but this is a start. Thaks for every one's interest.

george
Old 01-22-2009, 07:44 PM   #36
onemoretry

And for today's update. I am still out of town, so will only add George's comments and pictures.
From George:
We had a great day today with much better weather--as in warmer with
little or no wind. We completed the lower eave framing and the upper
eave framing as well--leaving only the upper gables remaining
which--alas--will have to wait until Saturday since we have slated
tomorrow to do the roof.

Things went smoothly today although we had to use our friendly physics
to lever up the upper beam to squeeze in the transoms over the higher
floor....but it worked :-)

What a blessing to enjoy such wonderful weather--tomorrow it is supposed
to hit the low 50's with no chance of precipitation....our kind of day
for roofing....and most other tasks as well.

george

Old 01-23-2009, 04:25 PM   #37
onemoretry

I finally made it home today and found the roof on. The building really looks fantastic, and I am getting pretty excited to see the finished product.

From George:
We had another amazing day today--getting the roof on in just over three
hours, and then putting on the ridgecap and cutting out the rafters and
adding headers for the (large) cupola opening. In speaking with our
client and noting his enthusiasm for the trees that embrace the cupola
view--it is clear we will be making that into a really tricked out
little room where he can admire the back 40 anytime....

We are grateful for his "better half" lifting the panels up to us with a
neighbor this morning and making this efficient and safe day
possible...it really could not have gone better.

george

Old 01-24-2009, 04:32 AM   #38
checkthisout

Those are two beautiful barns, you should be very proud.

The floor assembly looks rock solid like it wouldn't "Bounce" at all. Would that be a good assumption?

I like the second one better because it's bigger! How big is it exactly?
checkthisout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:02 AM   #39
Jpfreak33

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemoretry View Post
To bad they don't make clear siding!! I wish I lived somewhere where I could have a Geobarn with no interior or exterior wall coverings. These builds are true works of art. I wonder if they could build a Bungalow style home
Great pics keep them coming
Old 01-24-2009, 09:36 AM   #40
Bull
Super Moderator

Onemoretry, I am curious to know what your plans are for the large, tricked out cupola that George mentions. I was obsessed with the idea of a cupola, too. Mine is small, but has a seat and is a a great place to sit with a beer and just watch the world go by.

EUDAIMONIA
Old 01-24-2009, 11:05 AM   #41
Junkman

Bull........ you can't fool me. I know that you go up into the cupola so you can get a birds eye view into the girls dorm at UMass.......

Men wake up as good-looking as they went to bed.
Women somehow deteriorate during the night.

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
Junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:19 AM   #42
Bull
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman View Post
Bull........ you can't fool me. I know that you go up into the cupola so you can get a birds eye view into the girls dorm at UMass.......
I like your way of thinking, Junk

EUDAIMONIA
Old 01-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #43
Skyline

Looks like you live in a very rural area. Do you have fire hydrants? If not, I wonder if you can get a discount on your homeowners insurance by having a working fire engine on the property. I'm not sure what the requirements would be, but it is a similar reason a lot of comercial properties build artificial ponds, with bublers or fountains to keep them from freezing. You might need a Class A with a 1000 gal tank....who knows, if your current pumper does not meet that, the insurance savings might justify adding to the collection of engines once you get the Firehouse built. Used fire engines are pretty cheap.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #44
bry@n

Wow............................wow!!!!!

I don't know what to say. I looked at the Geobarns website and fell in love.

These are true works of art and look to stout. I am happy for you, jealous, cranky cause I don't have one.. lol.....I want one. They are great and look great.

How tall is the tallest point? We have limits in my town, that's why I ask.

edit:
I called and I'm waiting for a return call. I feel like a kid waiting for Santa. haha...

Last edited by bry@n; 01-24-2009 at 12:31 PM.
bry@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:22 PM   #45
Bull
Super Moderator

Bryan, please let us know how your conversation with George goes.

And, start a thread on here once you get your own Geobarn build going!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry@n View Post

These are true works of art and look to stout. I am happy for you, jealous, cranky cause I don't have one.. lol.....I want one. They are great and look great.

edit:
I called and I'm waiting for a return call. I feel like a kid waiting for Santa. haha...

EUDAIMONIA
Old 01-24-2009, 04:59 PM   #46
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkthisout View Post
Those are two beautiful barns, you should be very proud.

The floor assembly looks rock solid like it wouldn't "Bounce" at all. Would that be a good assumption?

I like the second one better because it's bigger! How big is it exactly?
There really isn't any bounce at all, and I weigh an 1/8th of a ton. For as large as the span is, it is amazing.
The building is 32X48.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:02 PM   #47
onemoretry

Quote:
To bad they don't make clear siding!! I wish I lived somewhere where I could have a Geobarn with no interior or exterior wall coverings. These builds are true works of art. I wonder if they could build a Bungalow style home
Great pics keep them coming
I'll bet George would be willing to at least chat with you about any type of design.
One of the crew did mention a guy that did a section of the interior wall in acrylic to show the diagonal framing.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:04 PM   #48
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull View Post
Onemoretry, I am curious to know what your plans are for the large, tricked out cupola that George mentions. I was obsessed with the idea of a cupola, too. Mine is small, but has a seat and is a a great place to sit with a beer and just watch the world go by.
We are still talking about details, but we will at least have a seat and some interesting framing. George has a temporary floor there now to work off of, and I must say it is a great view (not quite the view that Junk thinks you have...) and could be a very relaxing to sit and have a beer.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:06 PM   #49
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
Looks like you live in a very rural area. Do you have fire hydrants? If not, I wonder if you can get a discount on your homeowners insurance by having a working fire engine on the property. I'm not sure what the requirements would be, but it is a similar reason a lot of comercial properties build artificial ponds, with bublers or fountains to keep them from freezing. You might need a Class A with a 1000 gal tank....who knows, if your current pumper does not meet that, the insurance savings might justify adding to the collection of engines once you get the Firehouse built. Used fire engines are pretty cheap.
I have mentioned that to my insurance company, but no luck. I would have to incorporate as a volunteer fire department, and I'll bet the insurance ain't cheap for that...
It is a class A, but only a 750 gal tank (or at least it was considered a class A awhile ago).
Old 01-24-2009, 05:09 PM   #50
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry@n View Post

edit:
Just talked with George, he is getting a shower and will call you.

I must say that the building is fantastic, but frankly the build process has been just as good. I never thought I would say that about a contractor (I suppose that is the difference between a contractor and a craftsman), and I certainly wouldn't say that about my concrete sub...
The tallest point is pretty far up there, I don't know but George would be able to tell you when he calls. I am sure that George can come up with something that would meet code.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:14 PM   #51
onemoretry

It was great working with the guys today, I was pretty much on clean up and labor detail, but loved every minute of it. All of the framing is done, so there won't be too many more days when you can see the diagonal framing from the outside. I am not sure how I feel about that, thought I do love the shiplap.
The last pic is the waste pile for the entire build.

From George:
We had a shorter day today in high winds and lower temperatures--and got
the upper gables framed and the last transom installed. The crew could
not take any measurements without two people on the tape--one at each
end--with the wind being what it was....

It has been a wonderful week--we are ready for at least a Sunday
break....we are grateful for the safety and camaraderie we have
experienced over the past days.

george

Old 01-24-2009, 07:00 PM   #52
Junkman

You really need to take a picture of it before the siding goes on with the fire truck in the bay. If you plan it just right, I'll bet that you can get a little snow into the picture and use it for next years Christmas card to your fellow SPAAMFA members...

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:19 AM   #53
onemoretry

Quote:
You really need to take a picture of it before the siding goes on with the fire truck in the bay. If you plan it just right, I'll bet that you can get a little snow into the picture and use it for next years Christmas card to your fellow SPAAMFA members...
Great idea, but I don't think the drive will be cleared before the siding goes up.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:22 AM   #54
onemoretry

So we had some friends over and the crew joined us for a fantastic dinner. After a couple of adult beverages, I decided that everyone needed to go out and see the barns. George agreed to turn on the work lights so we all went out. George had placed the lights perfectly, so we decided pictures were in order.

Here goes

Old 01-25-2009, 11:23 AM   #55
Skyline

Wow, that scrap pile is small. Very efficient use of material.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:25 PM   #56
Bevis

Seems to be a shame to cover up all that nice detail...but the barn sure looks good though.
Bevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:32 PM   #57
snm95ls

Wow!!

Very neat design. I am jealous of the space you have.

snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:07 PM   #58
Junkman

May I reserve a bay for my fire department ambulance? I'm out of room in my garages....

Old 01-26-2009, 03:06 AM   #59
naki kid

That is fantastic, why dont you just cover it in glass.might be a bit cold in the winter and hot in the summer but it would look KOOL. Only having you on,But it would be a shame to cover the garage.
naki kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:16 AM   #60
onemoretry

Quote:
May I reserve a bay for my fire department ambulance? I'm out of room in my garages....
The wife has put me on a 1 fire vehicle limit. Now if you have some other crazy vehicle, let's talk...
Old 01-26-2009, 07:17 AM   #61
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by naki kid View Post
That is fantastic, why dont you just cover it in glass.might be a bit cold in the winter and hot in the summer but it would look KOOL. Only having you on,But it would be a shame to cover the garage.
I keep going round and round about it. My going theory is now to let it rest for a year and think it through. I know it will be more expensive to take care of it in the future as I will have to deal with all of the stuff I move in between now and then, but it will give me the time to figure something out.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:19 AM   #62
onemoretry

We got some more night shots from the opposite direction on yet another bitter night.

Eye candy:

Old 01-26-2009, 07:36 AM   #63
Bull
Super Moderator

I think that leaving the framing exposed will probably hinder you in terms of being able to decorate the inside as you want.

I took a lot of pictures of my barn, as you have, too. I selected the best 14 or so and had them made into quite large black and white prints. You might even use a few color prints for the beautiful night shots that you have. These pictures I framed and have hung, in chronological order, in a room of my home. They also might do well when hung in the barn itself. That way, you are constantly aware of and exposed to the beauty of your framing, you'll always have access to that look, without being imprisoned by it.

EUDAIMONIA

Last edited by Bull; 01-26-2009 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-26-2009, 07:56 AM   #64
Jpfreak33

Quote:
Wow, work of art. I love these more and more every time I see more of your pics
Old 01-26-2009, 08:33 AM   #65
onemoretry

Quote:
Wow, work of art. I love these more and more every time I see more of your pics
And the pictures don't even do it justice. If you are ever in the area, stop by.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:15 PM   #66
onemoretry

Well, the guys got the cupola, (I like to call it the barn on top of the barn) framing done and it looks fantastic. The view is phenomenal, I will have a hard time getting work done when I can just sit up there with a beer...

From George:
We had a great day today--in spite of the fact that the crew was in poor
health fighting off colds. They hung in there and did a superb job
framing thew cupola and we got it roofed right after lunch and finished
the framing for the windows and louvers--and then did the winch beam so
our client can haul cars onto the upper level.... :-D

The cupola is slightly oversized and and will make a great room from
which to peruse a good book and the back forty with aid of a good
ale...tomorrow we tackle the stairs and a storm moves in...just in time
for siding.... > ....oh well...we cannot complain and no one listens
anyway.

george

Old 01-27-2009, 04:09 PM   #67
onemoretry

Some of the white stuff out there today. The crew got started on the stairs and prepped the shiplap getting ready for tomorrow.
From George:
Today was a hard day--with all of us waking up sick and the crew getting
better and me getting worse as the day wore on....it was cold, snowy,
wet and gray. We carried all the shiplap into the barn in preparation
for our big push once the storm has passed, and got the stringers
measured and cut for the stairs--after having to pull the landing and
raise it up a tread because somehow I managed to convince myself that I
could get ten 10" runs into a 90" space....I share that with you only as
a barometer of my day... :-[

At the same time--every job has its down days and this was one of them.
We also got the first building's doors framed out for the installers,
and it is now ready for the doors our client ordered. I am still
grateful for what we were able to do and the kindness of the crew.

george

Old 01-28-2009, 01:46 PM   #68
cyclopsblown34

Winch beam so the client can lift cars to the second level? holy Schnikes, this is awesome.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #69
autoist

I sure want to see details of that cuppola - how you get up there, how the arrangement fits.

Plus, please post photos of that winch setup.

http://www.theAutoist.com
autoist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #70
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclopsblown34 View Post
Winch beam so the client can lift cars to the second level? holy Schnikes, this is awesome.
George was just horsing around. The upstairs will be a wood shop so no room for cars.
I think he and the wife are trying to suggest I have too many vehicles.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:14 PM   #71
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoist View Post
I sure want to see details of that cuppola - how you get up there, how the arrangement fits.

Plus, please post photos of that winch setup.
I will post pictures of the cupola when it is done. There will be windows on two sides and louvers on the gable ends. There will be a floor and benches up there as well so we can sit and relax. It really is a lovely place.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:31 PM   #72
Jpfreak33

I cant wait to see it finished, but I will shed a tear when you cover up the framing haha. I just may take you up on that offer, where are you located? I might need to get away from home for awhile haha
Old 01-28-2009, 03:40 PM   #73
Junkman

Quote:
George was just horsing around. The upstairs will be a wood shop so no room for cars.
sneak up there one night, and leave an old toy car on the floor......

Old 01-28-2009, 04:09 PM   #74
porschedude996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin54 View Post

So is it harder to drill the wood when it is Frozen?
porschedude996TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:57 PM   #75
onemoretry

Quote:
I cant wait to see it finished, but I will shed a tear when you cover up the framing haha. I just may take you up on that offer, where are you located? I might need to get away from home for awhile haha
Well, it started, about 1/3 of the shiplap is up. Pictures will be up in a second.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:01 PM   #76
onemoretry

The weather wasn't really cooperating today, but the guys were really productive, even when I was "helping". The shiplap has started, so, from the outside at least, the diagonal framing will be hidden. It makes me a little sad, but the shiplap looks fantastic too.

From George:
We ended up having a good day today after prepping for shiplap and
finishing the stairs this morning....doing the lower west gable and
almost half the north eave side. After a bit of a rough start--with
things not as plumb as we would have liked--we got in the groove and ran
a lot of shiplap--under the icy rain and occasional sleet and ice
avalanche off the metal roof...the guys were drenched at the end of the
day abut at least it was not that cold...we are grateful for a good day.

george

Old 01-28-2009, 09:16 PM   #77
moody

Did he say "at least it was not that cold"? Maybe it's because I'm in Florida, but I see ice everywhere....that meets my definition of cold, as in "too cold to risk smacking my hand with a hammer".

Beautiful barns, beautiful view, outstanding craftsmanship, a genuinely decent and efficient contractor, a wife who clearly understands your hobby, and a fire truck of your own....man, what else could a guy want?
moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:57 AM   #78
Moon63

What a beautiful build! And it´s a bunch of tuff guys working with it. But, I se some icicles in the pics, so it must have been over freezing point some days
About a month left before I will go on with my build, way to cold and to much snow for me now.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:57 AM   #79
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by moody View Post
Did he say "at least it was not that cold"? Maybe it's because I'm in Florida, but I see ice everywhere....that meets my definition of cold, as in "too cold to risk smacking my hand with a hammer".

Beautiful barns, beautiful view, outstanding craftsmanship, a genuinely decent and efficient contractor, a wife who clearly understands your hobby, and a fire truck of your own....man, what else could a guy want?
Not that cold means that it got above freezing. Certainly a lot better than it was. Of course if it is cold enough you can smack your hand with a hammer and not feel it...

Thanks, thanks and thanks.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:59 AM   #80
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon63 View Post
What a beautiful build! And it´s a bunch of tuff guys working with it. But, I se some icicles in the pics, so it must have been over freezing point some days
About a month left before I will go on with my build, way to cold and to much snow for me now.
The guys have been great. They rarely if at all complain about the weather. If it were me, I would be crying like a baby everyday when I went out.

I have had the luxury of traveling to Sweden a couple of times. I loved it both times, or course, I visited in the summer when it was absolutely beautiful. I don't think I will visit in the winter.
Cheers.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:01 AM   #81
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschedude996TT View Post
So is it harder to drill the wood when it is Frozen?
I think all of the conditions combined make it really difficult. I don't think the drill minds too much, the driller on the other hand...
Old 01-29-2009, 08:08 AM   #82
cyclopsblown34

Quote:
Maybe they're both suggesting you need a third and even bigger Geobarn for the excess vehicles. That way you could leave the framework exposed on the interior since maybe you wouldn't heat that one.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #83
onemoretry

Quote:
Maybe they're both suggesting you need a third and even bigger Geobarn for the excess vehicles. That way you could leave the framework exposed on the interior since maybe you wouldn't heat that one.
I like how you think. I will run that past them tonight...
Old 01-29-2009, 12:10 PM   #84
cyclopsblown34

I'm certain George would be receptive. The wife on the other hand?
Old 01-29-2009, 12:28 PM   #85
onemoretry

Quote:
I think the wife would be OK with me having another one, I might just have to move out though...
Old 01-29-2009, 12:34 PM   #86
onemoretry

Quote:
I think the wife would be OK with me having another one, I might just have to move out though...
Old 01-29-2009, 12:43 PM   #87
Junkman

Quote:
Quote:
Did you have to post this twice just to convince yourself???????

Old 01-29-2009, 01:12 PM   #88
onemoretry

Quote:
Did you have to post this twice just to convince yourself???????
My computer locked up in the middle of the post, so I hit reload. Sorry to all...

(really I am just a post count whore)
Old 01-29-2009, 04:46 PM   #89
sasquach

Hell I would move out and into one of those barns. Thats sweeet
sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:05 PM   #90
onemoretry

Although there was a lot of ice on the ground, today was a much better day. It actually reached into the 40s. The guys made amazing progress, and the building is looking fantastic.
From George:
We had an amazing day today with the crew assuring me we could get the
lower level sided--even though we only worked a half day on the siding
yesterday...and lo and behold...we finished to day at about 5:00
pm...nothing should surprise me anymore but this is a record for us in
terms of a building this size. To be sure we were helped by the fact
that we have a great load of shiplap from Britton's lumber, and there
are only a few windows below and some large doors--which will take a
full day just to build...but nonetheless...this was more than I hoped for.

Kudos the the guys--I had to RUN boards to them on the
scaffolding...they were relentless--although they said the same thing
about me...hmmmmmmm....

Tomorrow we tackle the upper gables.

george

Old 01-29-2009, 05:06 PM   #91
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquach View Post
Hell I would move out and into one of those barns. Thats sweeet
If I don't stop buying stuff, I may just have to move in...
Old 01-29-2009, 05:55 PM   #92
Junkman

You can live in one, and your wife can live in the other. Your mother in law can live in the main house.......

Old 01-30-2009, 07:18 AM   #93
onemoretry

Quote:
You can live in one, and your wife can live in the other. Your mother in law can live in the main house.......
That has been suggested already by the inlaws, the outlaws and a handful of friends. I am starting to get the hint.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:41 PM   #94
onemoretry

The guys have been working feverishly and the progress has been amazing.

From George:
We got the upper gables done today and they came out vertical, tight and
symmetrical...cutting double outside flanges on the center boards @
7-7/8" on the west side and 7-3/4" on the east side....I can live with
an eight of an inch difference--the boards vary that much in width
anyway. The guys nailed and I cut and we kept each other running most
of the day...it was such a blessing to function as a well oiled machine....

Tomorrow we hope to finish the cupola and install the windows...we will
see what the weather permits... =-O

george

Old 01-30-2009, 04:07 PM   #95
Jpfreak33

Amazing, are you leaving the outside of both natural? I dont know if you answered this already but I was just wondering.
I would NOT be against building a building like that and living above my garage/work space. I don't think my better half would be on board for that though. I cant wait to see what you do with the wood working shop up top. Love the pics
Old 01-30-2009, 04:28 PM   #96
onemoretry

Quote:
Amazing, are you leaving the outside of both natural? I dont know if you answered this already but I was just wondering.
I would NOT be against building a building like that and living above my garage/work space. I don't think my better half would be on board for that though. I cant wait to see what you do with the wood working shop up top. Love the pics
Thanks.
I think I am just going to use boiled linseed oil as a finish. It will darken naturally no a nice gray patina (I hope). The shop will take some time to get together as I still need to put a floor in, insulate and put in interior walls. I think I am going with wet cellulose and shiplap upstairs with either an oak or maple floor. Budget and time will see.

I would be perfectly fine with living in a building like this. In fact George has built homes using the same basic design. I just like to joke about getting kicked out and having to live in the garage...
Old 01-30-2009, 04:31 PM   #97
Jpfreak33

Quote:
Thanks.
I think I am just going to use boiled linseed oil as a finish. It will darken naturally no a nice gray patina (I hope). The shop will take some time to get together as I still need to put a floor in, insulate and put in interior walls. I think I am going with wet cellulose and shiplap upstairs with either an oak or maple floor. Budget and time will see.

I would be perfectly fine with living in a building like this. In fact George has built homes using the same basic design. I just like to joke about getting kicked out and having to live in the garage...
Once the market gets right I am thinking of contacting him and see what he thinks about building a classic Bungalow style home with a 3car garage. But for right now at least in Ohio the market is NOT right to sell so for the time being I will be living where I am, and living my dream garage though you
Old 01-30-2009, 07:30 PM   #98
Bull
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks.
I think I am just going to use boiled linseed oil as a finish. It will darken naturally no a nice gray patina (I hope).
Have you picked out a linseed oil yet? I did a lot of research, and ended up liking these guys:

http://www.solventfreepaint.com/cleaned_linseed_oil.htm

Their products are not cheap, but I think the quality is excellent. I am using the purified natural oil on my Geobarn, and their exterior paint on my house.

EUDAIMONIA
Old 01-31-2009, 03:58 PM   #99
onemoretry

Quote:
Have you picked out a linseed oil yet? I did a lot of research, and ended up liking these guys:

http://www.solventfreepaint.com/cleaned_linseed_oil.htm

Their products are not cheap, but I think the quality is excellent. I am using the purified natural oil on my Geobarn, and their exterior paint on my house.
Thanks Bull, I hadn't decided on oil yet, so this is a great link.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:00 PM   #100
onemoretry

Today was a great day. The guys finished the sofit, sided the cupola, and put the windows in, the garage door guy came for the other build, and I got the Jeep running again.

Pictures of the doors will be in the other thread.

From George:
We had a good but cold day today...it was windy and bitter....and we
worked about a 3/4 day with the goal of siding the cupola, getting all
the windows in, and running the soffit vents along the eaves. The waste
pile got a bit bigger as we completely cleaned out the building,, but is
still running about 4/10ths of 1%....so we are happy about that.....

the cuopla came out beautifully and we used an old fashioned triangle
closure to allow the transoms to tilt inward on hot days when mor
eventing is required--although it seems a bit far fetched to contemplate
such a scenario today.... :-D

george

Old 02-03-2009, 07:05 AM   #101
onemoretry

Short post as I am back on the road. The crew is working on the barn doors now. There is one large door on the gable end, one above it to get tools upstairs, and two large doors on the eve end. Here are the requisite pics.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:28 PM   #102
onemoretry

I am having problems posting from work, so I will try to post pictures of the doors one more time...

Old 02-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #103
onemoretry

I really mis not being at home to "help" the crew. Today is pretty much the final day of the main build. George will come back to add a couple details that I have requested associated with the railing and cupola. I will add pictures of that when it is completed. I will also update as I do electric and floors, but I don't know when budget and time will permit... The crew has been absolutely fantastic, I will truly miss them. (I know that sounds corny, but they really have been great.) Having them live with us for both builds, we really got to know them well and can honestly say that they are perfect gentlemen and now good friends. The pictures speak for the quality of their work. I truly appreciate the fact that they not only allowed me to help, but seemed to actually enjoy having me be at least a part of the builds (more on the first one than the barn). It is exactly what I wanted.

From George:
The crew really hustled getting the all the doors hung and we had a neighbor of our client's to help with the heavy lifting--some of the doors were well over 300 lbs...We got all the trim done, corner boards up, doors hung, hardware put on and the louvers installed and we managed to get the whole downstairs swept and sorted as well...felt very good to wrap up.

After a few odds and ends tomorrow--as in more pictures with sunlight--we are on the road heading north....looking forward to coming back soon to do a few "extra requests...."

We have been utterly blessed here--and we are most grateful.

george

Old 02-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #104
nathank

Send a message via Skype™ to nathank

This is definitely one of my favorites. What an awesome build.
nathank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:00 PM   #105
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathank View Post
This is definitely one of my favorites. What an awesome build.
Thanks, I appreciate it. It is one of my favorites too, though I am biased...
Old 02-04-2009, 09:18 PM   #106
Bull
Super Moderator

Oh man, I am so happy for you! The barns both look freaking amazing.

What you wrote is not corny. I felt the exact same way on the last day of my build. I was sincerely sad that the guys were leaving and the experience was coming to a close. That's just NOT how it has felt working with any other company/crew, and I suspect the feeling will never be duplicated.

Unless, of course, I strike it rich and can build another Geobarn!

Quote:
I really mis not being at home to "help" the crew. Today is pretty much the final day of the main build. George will come back to add a couple details that I have requested associated with the railing and cupola. I will add pictures of that when it is completed. I will also update as I do electric and floors, but I don't know when budget and time will permit... The crew has been absolutely fantastic, I will truly miss them. (I know that sounds corny, but they really have been great.) Having them live with us for both builds, we really got to know them well and can honestly say that they are perfect gentlemen and now good friends. The pictures speak for the quality of their work. I truly appreciate the fact that they not only allowed me to help, but seemed to actually enjoy having me be at least a part of the builds (more on the first one than the barn). It is exactly what I wanted.

EUDAIMONIA
Old 02-04-2009, 09:53 PM   #107
Junkman

Every fire house has to have a brass pole for the firemen to slide down. I am waiting to see the picture of George sliding down the pole......

Old 02-05-2009, 07:44 AM   #108
onemoretry

Quote:
Every fire house has to have a brass pole for the firemen to slide down. I am waiting to see the picture of George sliding down the pole......
We are still debating on where to put them. I am thinking a retractable version to get down from the cupola and another right beside the truck...
Old 02-05-2009, 07:46 AM   #109
onemoretry

Quote:
Oh man, I am so happy for you! The barns both look freaking amazing.

What you wrote is not corny. I felt the exact same way on the last day of my build. I was sincerely sad that the guys were leaving and the experience was coming to a close. That's just NOT how it has felt working with any other company/crew, and I suspect the feeling will never be duplicated.

Unless, of course, I strike it rich and can build another Geobarn!
Thanks, and thanks again for posting your build, it really helped me find George and decide on going with it. I might send you a note one of these days to figure out volume and application technique for the lindseed oil.
thanks again,
Old 02-06-2009, 06:35 AM   #110
Jpfreak33

wow, its amazing.

ok start another one!!! I live for your daily updates on here, its what keeps me going at work every day haha.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:24 AM   #111
onemoretry

Quote:
wow, its amazing.

ok start another one!!! I live for your daily updates on here, its what keeps me going at work every day haha.
Sadly, me too.
I hope to start adding floors in the second level, so I will eventually add pics.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #112
Diesel-Mech

I would like to see some pics of the fire truck parked in the barn if you could.
Diesel-Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:09 AM   #113
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel-Mech View Post
I would like to see some pics of the fire truck parked in the barn if you could.
I will absolutely post those as soon as I can get them. I need to move about 10 yards of dirt out from in front of the door before I can move it in. Couple of weeks?
Old 02-07-2009, 11:56 AM   #114
mad57

awesome build, what brand door hangers did they use? do they keep the door tight enough to keep the cold out? im looking to build 2 7ft sliders so please let me know thanks mike.

Iam also vice president of my car club: Wickedridesnj.com check it out!!!!
mad57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:46 AM   #115
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad57 View Post
awesome build, what brand door hangers did they use? do they keep the door tight enough to keep the cold out? im looking to build 2 7ft sliders so please let me know thanks mike.
They are Cannonball, slotted pipe with Delryn trolleys. Supposed to be the best of the best. Hope this helps.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:53 AM   #116
onemoretry

Just some more pictures as I miss posting stuff here and hearing all of the great comments. The first ones are at different times of day, the morning sun makes it really pop, and then the last ones are from the main road going by the house so you can see both buildings and if you look really hard, the fire truck.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:28 PM   #117
rlme36

I swear I looked, but maybe I missed it. What are the exterior dimensions of this building?

rob
rlme36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:10 AM   #118
Foul

any plans to stain the exterior?

dan
Old 02-11-2009, 07:48 AM   #119
Jpfreak33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foul View Post

dan
He will be staining with Linseed oil
Old 02-11-2009, 08:50 AM   #120
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlme36 View Post
I swear I looked, but maybe I missed it. What are the exterior dimensions of this building?

rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foul View Post

dan
Off the top of my head it is 48 by 30.

I will stain with linseed oil as stated.

Last edited by onemoretry; 02-11-2009 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Edited the dimension from 32 feet to the correct 30 feet.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:30 PM   #121
onemoretry

We added the stair rail and banisters this weekend, they are mahogany and EMT. Makes for a clean look. We also opened up the cupola, basically a vault, so that light can make it into the shop. It will be a great place to sit and watch life go by.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:43 PM   #122
Old61

That is one beautiful building! The only thing I would add for my own build would be wider overhangs on the eaves and gable ends.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:55 PM   #123
Bevis

Stair railings look good. Jeep also looks at home.
Bevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:46 AM   #124
Omphaloskeptic

I seem to be at a loss for superlatives! I have truly enjoyed both your builds ( and Bulls). GeoBarn structures should be called 'works of art'; they are so pleasing to the eye. They add to the beautiful landscape and it must be a blissful pleasure for you to meander about your property with a morning cup of coffee and see the sun rising on those barns. I am obviously envious of what you have there and just wish I had the where with all to transport George and his great crew across the country to build a GeoBarn for myself in the 'Great Northwest' (Washington). Having a garage on the ground floor, an open studio to live in on the second floor, and a cupola to ponder the world would be my perfect abode. All I might then be lacking is a firetruck. lol!
Omphaloskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:09 AM   #125
KCarGuy

WOW...That is one Beautiful Structure. A Classic work of Art.

I love the look and the Craftsmanship is outstanding.

I can see how the Building would be so strong, with studs going in opposing angles...She is a Beast...A Beautiful Beast!

I love to see new ideas and designs that make sense and buck the norm...Fantastic job!
KCarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:57 PM   #126
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevis View Post
Stair railings look good. Jeep also looks at home.
a little gravel and the firetruck will be in there too. Thanks
Old 03-09-2009, 03:57 PM   #127
Jpfreak33

ITS BACK!!!
I am so happy to see this post back at the top. The railing looks great!
Old 03-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #128
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omphaloskeptic View Post
I seem to be at a loss for superlatives! I have truly enjoyed both your builds ( and Bulls). GeoBarn structures should be called 'works of art'; they are so pleasing to the eye. They add to the beautiful landscape and it must be a blissful pleasure for you to meander about your property with a morning cup of coffee and see the sun rising on those barns. I am obviously envious of what you have there and just wish I had the where with all to transport George and his great crew across the country to build a GeoBarn for myself in the 'Great Northwest' (Washington). Having a garage on the ground floor, an open studio to live in on the second floor, and a cupola to ponder the world would be my perfect abode. All I might then be lacking is a firetruck. lol!
George said he is willing to go west. It is worth a call. I cant help with the firetruck...
Old 03-09-2009, 04:06 PM   #129
onemoretry

Quote:
ITS BACK!!!
I am so happy to see this post back at the top. The railing looks great!
The addition was just for you freak... Thanks for all the great comments.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #130
35mastr

I just read the whole thread.That is a beautiful building that you have there.

Some very intersting construction also.

When I seen all that land that surrounds you then seeing the cupola.

The only thought that went thru my head was deer season.That would be the best deer stand right from home.

Keep the pics and the progress coming.

Does this George Guy travel anywhere to build these barns?Or does he just have a certain area that he covers?

Mac tools For Sale Here
George
35mastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:00 PM   #131
AP2TUDE

Absolutely amazing. The whole organic feel of the barn is so different than anything you can achieve here in SoCal. The totally finished, unfinished look really gives it a ton of character.
AP2TUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:34 PM   #132
autoist

How are you going to finish those stairs? Clear varnish?

Old 03-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #133
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35mastr View Post
I just read the whole thread.That is a beautiful building that you have there.

Some very intersting construction also.

When I seen all that land that surrounds you then seeing the cupola.

The only thought that went thru my head was deer season.That would be the best deer stand right from home.

Keep the pics and the progress coming.

Does this George Guy travel anywhere to build these barns?Or does he just have a certain area that he covers?
Thanks man, it has been a lot of fun. The pictures are a little deceptive though, I doubt there will be much hunting going on from the cupola, I doubt the neighbors would like it much...
George is willing to travel anywhere in the US and some international as well. Give him a call and post up when you build...
Old 03-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #134
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP2TUDE View Post
Absolutely amazing. The whole organic feel of the barn is so different than anything you can achieve here in SoCal. The totally finished, unfinished look really gives it a ton of character.
George would be willing to go to Cali, so you might be able to have the same look...
You state well the way I feel about the barns. We struggled with what type of buildings to put up that would do a service to our home, built in ~1790. I don't think we could have found a better option.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #135
onemoretry

Quote:
How are you going to finish those stairs? Clear varnish?
I don't know yet, any suggestions?
Old 03-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #136
Bull
Super Moderator

George must have seen that I posted in one of your threads about finishing the interior of my barn. He e-mailed me the next morning and said he could get the shiplap to me at cost.

That's the kind of guy you are dealing with when you choose a Geobarn. He's not just a builder. He's a friend. Might sound sappy, but it's true.

EUDAIMONIA
Old 03-10-2009, 07:57 PM   #137
3bay

Thumbs up Re: Fire House and Garage part II

Awesome build, hats off to the workmanship involved in producing such a fine building.
3bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:01 PM   #138
autoist

No idea on how to finish them but Saturday I'm building a set using the basic design of yours - just different wood (smooth western cedar instead of mahogany); so, I'm open to suggestions also.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:29 AM   #139
onemoretry

Quote:
George must have seen that I posted in one of your threads about finishing the interior of my barn. He e-mailed me the next morning and said he could get the shiplap to me at cost.

That's the kind of guy you are dealing with when you choose a Geobarn. He's not just a builder. He's a friend. Might sound sappy, but it's true.
I am doing the same thing, and agree with your assessment of George.
thanks again Bull, your post is what helped me decide on a Geobarn.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:30 AM   #140
onemoretry

Quote:
No idea on how to finish them but Saturday I'm building a set using the basic design of yours - just different wood (smooth western cedar instead of mahogany); so, I'm open to suggestions also.
right now, I am leaning to clear finish, but I'll let you know and will likely post pictures.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:46 AM   #141
porschedude996TT

Why doesn't my lumberyard have wood that nice? Great job on the build, your percision with the saw shows through.
porschedude996TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #142
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschedude996TT View Post
Why doesn't my lumberyard have wood that nice? Great job on the build, your percision with the saw shows through.
I thought the same thing. I wish I could find lumber that nice. I spend half of my time looking through piles at the big box stores, and half of my time actually building something...

Not my precision, it was George's, though I did do some of the cutting, just nothing seen in the pictures...
Old 03-11-2009, 07:34 PM   #143
autoist

Specialty wood stores - they had mahogany at about twice the price of the smooth western cedar I bought.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:45 PM   #144
patrick66

That barn is simply beautiful. That'll look great with all of your tools, cars, and the fire truck inside! You've got a great set-up to host a great car get-together!

No lie, you have the nicest shop over anyone on this forum that I have seen, so far. And I doubt it'll be topped soon!
patrick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:54 PM   #145
Bull
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick66 View Post
No lie, you have the nicest shop over anyone on this forum that I have seen, so far. And I doubt it'll be topped soon!
Damn, that is high praise given some of the structures on here!

Nice work, onemoretry!!

EUDAIMONIA
Old 03-13-2009, 09:06 PM   #146
patrick66

That barn reminds me of the barn on my Uncle's property near Duluth, Minnesota, which was built in 1893. Magnificent structure!
patrick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:20 AM   #147
ptempera

I would have to say that is one great building. I also live in Maryland and was looking at this site for different ways to build my garage and I have to say that I will be giving George Abetti a call to see if he can do something in my price range. What are great post.

Paul
ptempera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:26 PM   #148
onemoretry

Quote:
Specialty wood stores - they had mahogany at about twice the price of the smooth western cedar I bought.
We have a pretty good wood store in town, but the price is just ridiculous. I built a trellis picnic table last year and wanted to do it in ceder, but for the raw lumber alone it would have been $900. I built it out of junk pine for $120 and figure I can burn it when it rots. I usually prefer to do things in quality once, but I just couldn't spend $900 on low grade cedar. If anyone in Maryland knows where to get decent lumber at a decent price, please speak up...
Old 03-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #149
onemoretry

Quote:
That barn is simply beautiful. That'll look great with all of your tools, cars, and the fire truck inside! You've got a great set-up to host a great car get-together!

Quote:
Damn, that is high praise given some of the structures on here!

Nice work, onemoretry!!
Truly high praise. Although the buildings are truly beautiful, I can't compete with those that have done great things with the space inside, in terms of usefulness and creativeness. I hope to get to work in the shop soon to compete, but I haven't gotten any work done in the structures... The wife and I did go out this week to buy flooring for the upstairs of the garage, so we are in the right direction...
Thanks
Old 03-15-2009, 12:31 PM   #150
onemoretry

Quote:
That barn reminds me of the barn on my Uncle's property near Duluth, Minnesota, which was built in 1893. Magnificent structure!
That is exactly what I thought when I was searching for the right style of building. Our house, or at least part of it, was built in ~1790, so we wanted something that would be useful, but something that would also fit the property we are now stewards of, I think we did the right thing. It has been amazing how many people have stopped by to chat, or just slow down to stare. It has been a lot of fun...
Old 03-15-2009, 12:33 PM   #151
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptempera View Post
I would have to say that is one great building. I also live in Maryland and was looking at this site for different ways to build my garage and I have to say that I will be giving George Abetti a call to see if he can do something in my price range. What are great post.

Paul
Paul,
Thanks, and please do give George a call. He, I am sure, would be willing to do another building in Maryland. If you are anywhere near Frederick, give me a shout and feel free to stop by.
As for cost, I think George will surprise you. I couldn't get a traditional stick built for what I have in these buildings, and the quality is worth a great deal more.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:19 PM   #152
onemoretry

I thought I would post the thank you letter that I sent to George.

George,
I received a copy of “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance” this year for Christmas. Two of the main themes of this book are the search for the definition of “quality” and the value of embracing the process, not just the end product. This made me think quite a bit about the quality and process of building our two barns. It is almost impossible to universally define quality, but one can certainly recognize it when it is presented.
And what is good, Phædrus,
And what is not good...
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

The quality of the buildings is immediately apparent and has been commented on by everyone who has visited us since completion (and even during the build process). The additional details that are not immediately recognized deepen this quality experience; the drip edge, soffit details, and hand rails are perfect examples. Wanting to be conscientious stewards of our property that dates back to at least 1790, we are thrilled by the durability, construction and design of our Geobarn—all signs of the quality we had hoped for.
Although our overall experience with the build is very positive, our experience with the concrete work done prior to your arrival was not very encouraging. My wife and I were disappointed with the quality of work and dealing with the contractor in general. At this point in the building process we felt conflicted and grew more concerned. Our mood quickly changed as we got to know John, Ryan and later Dan. What a transformation! Here were craftsman who obviously enjoyed their work and took pride in creating a beautiful product. We were both excited to take part in the build process and thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it, even if we sometimes doubted our abilities as carpenters. When we were not able to be home, the daily updates allowed us to continue to feel a part of the build and were enjoyed by all whom we shared them with. We also valued the time spent with you and the crew and took great pleasure in our spirited discussions.
Although we expected to have quality buildings and to enjoy working in our completed barns, we did not necessarily realize how pleasurable the process would be. We had what could be considered a Zen experience with the Art of Barn Construction.

Thank you,
onemoretry
Old 03-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #153
onemoretry

The trenching started today. I am running 200 amps in the barn, and 100 in the garage. I figured while we were at it, why not add some water, so we are burying line for dry hydrants for both buildings. The wire is obviously heavy gauge, and will be buried in conduit. The water will be about 1 foot deeper. Hopefully the plumbing inspection will go well tomorrow and I will have lights shortly. Sorry about the picture quality...

Old 03-17-2009, 03:45 PM   #154
Tman

WOW! I am blown away by the artistry done with common lumber!

www.compulsionrodandcustom.com
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:35 PM   #155
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman View Post
WOW! I am blown away by the artistry done with common lumber!
Isn't it amazing. Everything was built on site, with very little to no waste.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:37 PM   #156
onemoretry

The water was finished today including inspection. I get better pressure at the barns than I get in the house. We added about a foot of backfill over the water line and added the conduit for electric. That should be inspected tomorrow and I should have light by this weekend.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:43 PM   #157
onemoretry

So I know it has been awhile since I have updated. Sorry about that, but now that it is me doing all the work, it is going much slower...
The barn has been fantastic, and is already filled with junk as all good garages should be. I have added outside dry hydrants to each building and electric is done. I will post the barn (fire house) pictures here, and of course, the garage pictures will go in the other link.

Now for the pictures:

Water

Electric

And of course what I have been waiting for and the whole reason to do this project...
The fire truck is no longer in the yard.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #158
BrokeEF

Send a message via AIM to BrokeEF

That is absolutely AMAZING craftsmanship. You are lucky to have two such beautiful buildings!!

Sean
BrokeEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:34 AM   #159
onemoretry

Well all of the inspections are done. The insulation should be done in a couple of weeks depending on schedules and weather. I will update both builds with pics when the insulation is in.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:47 PM   #160
makgreens

Send a message via AIM to makgreens

amazing build!

whats the info on the engine?
makgreens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:33 AM   #161
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by makgreens View Post
amazing build!

whats the info on the engine?
It is a 72 American Lefrance. 1500 gpm with a 750 g tank. Detroit Diesel 2 stroke and 5 speed allison transmission with a split rearend. Came from my home town where when I was 5 my mother told me the town was throwing me a birthday parade (memorial day) and this truck was the first thing down the street. I have considered it mine ever since then and was able to pick it up when they retired it. The story is much longer than that and includes two family fires, the whole middle of the town burning down and fireman training, but, as my wife says, nobody really cares about that...
Old 05-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #162
Jpfreak33

Love the updates, the truck fits perfect in there. Keep them coming, your garage updates make me happy hahaha
Old 05-06-2009, 03:18 PM   #163
GrantMLS

amazing build!
GrantMLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:05 AM   #164
onemoretry

Thanks all. The insulation will be blown in a week from Saturday. I will update then.
Thanks again,
Old 05-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #165
theroyz71

Wow! I am so jealous. Your buildings are beautiful. Please keep the updates coming as the interiors progress.
theroyz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:01 PM   #166
makgreens

Send a message via AIM to makgreens

Quote:
It is a 72 American Lefrance. 1500 gpm with a 750 g tank. Detroit Diesel 2 stroke and 5 speed allison transmission with a split rearend. Came from my home town where when I was 5 my mother told me the town was throwing me a birthday parade (memorial day) and this truck was the first thing down the street. I have considered it mine ever since then and was able to pick it up when they retired it. The story is much longer than that and includes two family fires, the whole middle of the town burning down and fireman training, but, as my wife says, nobody really cares about that...
i dig it
i want my next project to be a 30's fire engine!
makgreens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:25 AM   #167
jolakki

Great looking building you got there.
Is it going to be insulated or just for summer use?
jolakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #168
squatch

I really did enjoy reading about both of your builds. I too would leave the interior exposed to show off the craftsmanship if it were mine. Although, it would be nice to have it insulated. Here is a suggestion (it would take forever to complete but it would be neat. Insulate the voids between the angled "studs", then put a lip around each parallelogram. and attach some lumbar flush with the studs. Here is a picture to illustrate:

You could then see the angled studs and have insulation. I know it would take forever to do, but it's what I would do. :)

-Casey
squatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:21 PM   #169
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by makgreens View Post
i dig it
i want my next project to be a 30's fire engine!
I would love to do the same, but I am afraid I am cut off on new firetruck projects...
Old 05-13-2009, 05:21 PM   #170
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolakki View Post
Great looking building you got there.
Is it going to be insulated or just for summer use?
Quote:
Thanks all. The insulation will be blown in a week from Saturday. I will update then.
Thanks again,
I am going to insulate the whole thing. The garage I am only doing the upstairs.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:23 PM   #171
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch View Post
I really did enjoy reading about both of your builds. I too would leave the interior exposed to show off the craftsmanship if it were mine. Although, it would be nice to have it insulated. Here is a suggestion (it would take forever to complete but it would be neat. Insulate the voids between the angled "studs", then put a lip around each parallelogram. and attach some lumbar flush with the studs. Here is a picture to illustrate:

You could then see the angled studs and have insulation. I know it would take forever to do, but it's what I would do.

-Casey

I thought of doing something similar including drywalling in between the studs. The barn I am just going to side in as it will be used and needs to be warm and relatively fire retardent. The garage I am leaving the first floor open and will see if I want it insulated in the future. If I do, I will try to do it in such a way as to leave the framing visible. If not, it will look great as is.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:30 PM   #172
babzog

Quote:
We got the upper gables done today and they came out vertical, tight and symmetrical...cutting double outside flanges on the center boards @ 7-7/8" on the west side and 7-3/4" on the east side....I can live with an eight of an inch difference
A building of this size (what, 48' long?) and over that span, he's only out one eighth of an inch?!? Now THAT is craftsmanship!

What a beautiful job!

One request: Could you please post some detail pics of the stair construction? I need to build some deck stairs and am looking at various options. Thanks!

Last edited by babzog; 05-13-2009 at 11:41 PM.
babzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:03 PM   #173
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by babzog View Post
A building of this size (what, 48' long?) and over that span, he's only out one eighth of an inch?!? Now THAT is craftsmanship!

What a beautiful job!

One request: Could you please post some detail pics of the stair construction? I need to build some deck stairs and am looking at various options. Thanks!
I have actually remeasured just because I was so amazed. The building is surprisingly square even after several months of settle.

I will have to steal the camera back from the wife and will try to get some pictures of the stairs.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:49 AM   #174
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by babzog View Post

What a beautiful job!

I am so sorry that I haven't given you the requested pictures. I just realized it today. Let me know if you need something else.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:19 AM   #175
thomask

onemoretry,

Thanks for posting and hats are off to these real craftsmen. They built your barn like a fine furniture maker. We just can't get lumber here in the south like you have up there.

If you ever get down to Florida stop by Emergency One in Ocala for a tour of their fire engine factory.
thomask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:08 PM   #176
shmo

Projects like this amaze me just for the sheer scale of everything. Seeing the detail and thought you put into the entire build leaves my jaw hanging open. Really really cool!

Thank you for sharing.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #177
onemoretry

I know it has been a while and hate to think that you all think I am ignoring you...Wife and I have been busy, excuse 2, 3, travel for work, etc.

But we are actually making some headway in finishing the upstairs.

The stairs leading up (or down depending)

Several thousand nails through this guy

No idea how many cuts

The waste pile thus far

Access to the cupola

Access to the storage space

Now of course I am not done, but at least I have done a little...

The downstairs is a little bit further away...

The insulation is done, just waiting for drywall.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #178
Jpfreak33

YES! bringing back my favorite thread The upstairs looks great! Sad to see all the structure covered up but it looks great either way
Old 03-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #179
onemoretry

Quote:
YES! bringing back my favorite thread The upstairs looks great! Sad to see all the structure covered up but it looks great either way
Don't worry, I left the other building open downstairs... I need to work in this one. Welding with a lot of wood downstairs is not good, and woodworking with a lot of sawdust and open framing is bad upstairs, let alone the temperature issues...
Old 03-24-2010, 09:26 AM   #180
Jakethemuss

Very nice build. I'm a fireman up in Cleveland, and I'm jealous. haha.... Keep up the excellent work.
Jakethemuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:55 AM   #181
Hemihead2
Alliance Member

Fantastic build. George and his crew are that rare find of craftsmen in building construction that take deep pride in all they do. They obviously feel deeply that what they leave behind is a reflection of themselves and that it is of the highest and integrity.

onemoretry, I like your reference to Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenance. I read it many years ago and took away much the same as you did in process and quality. I remember too the concept of "quality traps" that can stop a person from making a "journey". I often have to remind myself of that to not be held back from doing something I've never done before.
Thank you for all the posts of your build.
Hemihead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:46 PM   #182
onemoretry

Of course the posts are coming few and far between now as I am only doing a little bit on weekends and evenings, but I love every minute of it.
Hemi, I was a little hesitant to put the Zen quote in, as I didn't want to sound too crazy, but frankly it is true. I obviously love the work that George has done, but I really love working on the rest of it now too. Even if I never finish, and at the rate I'm going, that might be true, I am and will be happy.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:17 AM   #183
SiGmA_X

Amazing build. I've never seen new construction of this design before, it's beautiful and looks very stout. Nice job sir.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #184
mfwm3

Beautiful build. The workmanship reminded me of the barns at Shelburne Farms, VT.
mfwm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #185
onemoretry

Thanks for the recent compliments (and the old ones) and sorry I haven't updated in awhile. We are still doing the finishing work and have been slowed down by the normal summer outdoor tasks. The upstairs of the barn is coming nicely with almost everything done except trim.

Sorry for the quick post edit, I just realized the pictures weren't the ones I wanted and the ones I wanted are screwed up. Sorry for the waste of bandwidth.

Last edited by onemoretry; 07-29-2015 at 09:53 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #186
T>D>C

Beautiful build. What is the raised section on the end of the 2nd floor for? It is about 2-3ft tall. Any updated pics?
T>D>C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:55 PM   #187
jgoglick

What a great build - very innovative!
jgoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:42 PM   #188
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by T>D>C View Post
Beautiful build. What is the raised section on the end of the 2nd floor for? It is about 2-3ft tall. Any updated pics?
My intent was/is to put a lift under neath it. Now the wife wants to start a band and have concerts there...

More pictures will come in a couple of weeks.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:01 AM   #189
Craftsman51

Awesome building!
Craftsman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:21 AM   #190
abstamaria

A beautiful building, impossible to build here where I live. Working in the cold, the icicles, the views - all so alien to me. I love the firetrucks too. Thank you for posting.

Andres
abstamaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #191
fergus

Sorry, maybe a dumb question, but why no moisture barrier on the sides of the barn? Is the siding good enough? Did I not see it?
fergus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #192
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus View Post
Sorry, maybe a dumb question, but why no moisture barrier on the sides of the barn? Is the siding good enough? Did I not see it?
If the building breathes enough and the correct material is used for insulation, it really isn't needed. There are two schools of thought, seal it up tight to keep moisture out, or let it breath to get the moisture out after it is there.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #193
onemoretry

I've finally got the stain done. The pictures really don't do it justice, but it looks fantastic.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #194
rmckee

I'm reading up on the Geobarns and this certainly is one amazing structure. I love the colors you chose for the roofing and staining. It really sets it apart from the natural or red choices many people go with. My hat goes off to you, and George, for this beautiful barn!

May I ask approx what it ended up costing in the end?
rmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #195
gabedad

The stain looks really good - I had not seen those pictures

Geobarns Rock

rmkee- my 24x30 for just the shell was 34k Plus foundation
gabedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #196
930dreamer
Super Moderator

Very nice work.

http://stores.ebay.com/930dreamer?_rdc=1
930dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #197
onemoretry

Thanks everyone, I've got more pictures coming. We finally have the drywall up in the downstairs, and the trim up in the upstairs.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #198
J-man67

WOW....gorgeous. I just bought my first house with a detached 2 1/2, BUT this is on my future list!!! I want to save enough to do an extra building, but just leave the framing...just something to look at it. haha, Great buildings man!! ENJOY!!!
J-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:48 AM   #199
canam

Looks great!
Do you have PICS of the drywall up in the downstairs, and the trim up in the upstairs?
canam is offline   Reply With Quote